Four

You, I Cherish
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Four || One crack at a time

 

► Edited a minor detail in a previous chapter - like very minor, lol. Just changed Baekhyun's hair from brown to black, is all. Now, enjoy~ ♥

 

 

 

Only one person was entrusted by the shelter to take responsibility of Baekhyun’s rehabilitation. It was only Park Chanyeol whom they gave the obligation of re-building the broken hybrid. After all, it was only Chanyeol whom Baekhyun warmed up to instantly from the very beginning. In no doubt was it the right decision to leave the hybrid under his care. But in the end, it became three – Jongin and Kyungsoo equally taking the heavy responsibility with no hesitation. Especially after Baekhyun’s first night at their home. They were determined to give the hybrid back the dignity he once lost. And it was, in fact, a fortunate situation.. or rather, the best.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

People at the shelter expected Baekhyun’s therapy to be a difficult challenge. Staying two weeks under their care, even if a short time, was enough telling that it will take a great amount of work, time and patience. Based on their experience with serious situations like Baekhyun’s, it took many months, even years, before a hybrid can graduate – a term they coined for a successful therapy.

But to their surprise, it was rather the opposite.

 

Unlike the two weeks that passed by in the shelter wherein Baekhyun trusted no one, allowing only his doctor and personal nurse to get close to him yet not enough to open up to, it only took less than a week for Baekhyun to begin warming up to both Jongin and Kyungsoo.

It was a slow process, of course. The hybrid was still wary and anxious of their presence. But he no longer trembled in fear, his tail now merely limp and not curled in between his legs. The upright standing of both his ears and his curious stares towards them were enough signs of good progress. And it only took a few days later after that when Baekhyun stopped flinching altogether for every time they both made their presence known, their scent no longer a cause of anxiety. He no longer ran away to hide but simply sat or stood still in his position.

The best by far that left both Jongin and Kyungsoo feel their hearts flutter in delight was when Baekhyun had finally allowed them into his personal space, roughly three weeks later. If before, only Chanyeol took the role of taking care of Baekhyun entirely – bathing, feeding, and teaching him the basic knowledge of being human – Jongin and Kyungsoo soon took a role each for themselves. Allowing Kyungsoo to feed him his delicious home cooked meals, or letting Jongin sit beside him to teach him the knowhow of writing. Granting Kyungsoo the responsibility of bathing him, or not at all minding Jongin’s hands repeatedly opening his closed fists, chanting to him in a gentle voice that they are hands not paws.

And Chanyeol found it amusing, how Kyungsoo seemed to have taken the role of a mother while Jongin the father’s. Even if he felt oddly jealous of the attention that was once solely at him, now shared by the other two, he was more than glad. He also found it endearing, oddly fluttering his heart in beats, when he watched Baekhyun react to every movement his friends made while they pampered him. Watching, rather unknowingly to himself, Baekhyun's enthusiastically wagging tail when Kyungsoo fed him spoonful’s of soup, or his ears twitching cutely for every mistake when Jongin is teaching him how to write ABC.

 

On the other hand, for Chanyeol, as expected, Baekhyun’s trust towards him doubled faster than anyone else’s; in a matter of just a few days, Chanyeol was able to gain the hybrid’s wholehearted trust. Although, with it brought on a new set of problems – or challenges – Chanyeol would rather refer to, for Baekhyun was far more attached to him than before.

First of which, is that Baekhyun refused to sleep in a different room and all alone; knocking on Chanyeol’s door in the middle of the first night, and greeting his new master with tear stained cheeks as he embraced a pillow so tightly in his arms. Of course, who was Chanyeol to deny him? So he opened his arms like he had always done to welcome the hybrid into his comforting embrace. And even if Baekhyun slept in a separated bed that Chanyeol brought over from what was supposed to be his room, it was enough for the hybrid to fall sound asleep.

Another challenge Chanyeol had to face was attending school. Because that means leaving Baekhyun at home and was the last thing the hybrid wanted for the first few weeks, always gripping tight the hem of his shirt when he is at the door ready to leave. Giving him puppy dog eyes, quite literally, that had Chanyeol swearing in his head for the look just broke his heart and left wanting nothing more but to heed to Baekhyun’s wish of not letting him go. Or giving him the cold shoulder for a few hours when he returns. Learning from his roommates that Baekhyun had done nothing the whole day but stay in his room and on his bed.

But soon, Chanyeol was able to make Baekhyun understand that him leaving every day does not mean he is leaving him for good. That at the end of the day Chanyeol will always return home to affectionately pat his head or scratch the back of his dog ears. That no matter how many long hours Chanyeol is away, whether he returns early in the late afternoon or late into the evening – Baekhyun will always end up in his new master's warm embrace and security.

 

 

 

 

 

Over time, unknowingly, their lives begin to change since Baekhyun came into the picture. Their schedules, no matter how busy it once was, were altered to accommodate Baekhyun's new presence. The three of them making sure that the hybrid is never alone at home.

What used to be hours of free times or even just short, were sacrificed for Baekhyun's sure care. What used to be time spent with friends or simply going out, they were unaware they have given up with no second thoughts, just to go back home to see Baekhyun welcoming them with his twitching ears and fluffy wagging tail. Even if Baekhyun did not smile, the apparent emotions they have learned to read through his ears and tails were enough to give them joy.

 

It isn’t only Chanyeol that Baekhyun had affected rather greatly; Jongin and Kyungsoo too fell for the adorable hybrid’s charms. It was very apparent, and brought on joy to Chanyeol who observed on the sidelines.

 

 

 

Before Baekhyun started living with them and under their care, Kyungsoo was, at most, an indifferent hybrid. It is rare to see a smile on his face. It is only with Jongin, his master, that he is seen express various emotions. Not even Chanyeol’s boisterous personality could pull a grin on the half-cat.

Then came Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo’s once apathetic personality changed to that of expressive. His ears that usually lay idle on his head, now twitched in alertness for the littlest sound to prompt him if he is needed by the other. His tail that used to merely sway lazily behind him was now seen wagging just as lively when they are together. Even if Baekhyun was a half-dog hybrid, the stereotype belief that cats and dogs cannot get along, is dismissed by the immense care and attachment Kyungsoo is giving him.

 

The happiness Kyungsoo had towards Baekhyun was made known obvious to Chanyeol on one late afternoon.

 

While Chanyeol watched some TV, Baekhyun sat with his back against him as he read a children’s picture book Jongin bought just the day before. It was one of those moments that Chanyeol could not help but sigh from the warmth they are surrounded in, idly patting the hybrid’s head with a smile playing on his lips when Baekhyun’s ears would twitch as he traced a colorful image that had caught his attention.

 

But their peace is soon disrupted when Kyungsoo calls out from the kitchen and the delicious aroma of his freshly baked cookies fill the whole apartment. In an instant, Baekhyun hops off the couch leaving Chanyeol behind and rather speechless as he ran to where the voice came from.

 

Later, when Chanyeol takes a peek at the two hybrids, he can’t help but mimic the smile Kyungsoo had on – wide and bright. And he simply stood there, not bothering to make his presence known as he watched in silent delight Baekhyun eat a cookie with his two hands while Kyungsoo laid the rest on a big plate, but also brushing off the bits and pieces that scattered around Baekhyun’s lips at the same time.

 

And if his heart did not flutter enough, he had to watch as Kyungsoo pulled Baekhyun just beside him to cookie cut some dough for another set of cookies. Chanyeol’s smile widening far more when Baekhyun let out some giggles completely entertained at the activity he is doing and Kyungsoo’s eye smile appearing as he, too, laughed along while he guided the other; both their tails swaying in tune of their laughter behind them.

 

A loving friendship had developed between them.

 

 

 

Before Jongin met Baekhyun and took almost half the responsibility Chanyeol was given, he was nothing more but a big child in a young man’s body. All his attention was either on his hybrid, Kyungsoo, or playing some games, or even hanging out with his friends and at times, returning home very late into the evening. He was a child at heart, after all. Responsibility was too big of a word for a person like him.

And then Baekhyun came, and Jongin’s mature side that people rarely saw or never even thought of being capable of, came out all at once. Rejecting invite after invite of his friends what he used to accept in a matter of seconds, just to go home early to be able to teach Baekhyun how to write. The money he usually spent on movies, late out dinners, or new games, was now spent on buying new colorful picture books for Baekhyun to read. The time he usually spent lazing around with nothing to do, was now spent going out with Kyungsoo as they both shopped together for the hybrid that waited back home.

 

The responsibility Jongin took wholeheartedly was made known obvious to Chanyeol one day they have returned home from university.

 

Usually, the sight that would greet them upon opening the front door would be Baekhyun standing just behind it as he waited. Their scent, the sound of their footsteps, despite all barely heard, was enough to tell the hybrid of their incoming presence. However, this t

Please log in to read the full chapter