On The Floor

Falling for You

After a week of straight dance rehearsal, the dancers had learned the routine. Gabby and Kevin had also learned their part. She had talked to Kevin a bit more, and he just told her basic things about his life; such as he moved to Korea when he was 15, debuted very young, and had been in U-Kiss since their debut. Gabby also had the chance to talk to Eli, another American in the group. He was pleasant enough, but not as outgoing as Kevin was. Gabby didn’t talk with the rest of the members that much, due to her shyness and lack of Korean skills. She did observe them during practice though. There was Soohyun, who seemed like a funny and cool guy. He would often joke during the dance practices. Hoon and Kiseop also seemed friendly enough, but were more serious. There there was Jun, a new member, who was only a kid! Gabby felt a bit bad for him since he was so young, but he practiced hard and was always respectful to everyone.

 

Gabby had settled into a routine, but since she always worked every day, and just went to an empty house every day, she was getting a bit lonely. Back in the states she had a lot of friends, and also had a large family. She was also going to events and shows with friends, especially when she was in university. Since she was a Christian, she decided to go find a church on Sunday. Maybe I can meet some friends there, she thought to herself.

 

That Sunday she found a church in Gangnam near her apartment and hesitantly walked in. It was hard enough going all by herself, but she was also very shy about using Korean. However, when she walked in an ajumma rushed over and began using English.

 

“Hello! Welcome to our church! Are you an American?” She asked Gabby with accented English.

“Yes, I recently moved to Korea.”

“Welcome, come in! Come in!”

 

The lady ushered Gabby to a seat and then departed. After the service, there was a luncheon event going on. Gabby walked over to a cafeteria in the church. Hey, free food was free food. She got some soup ladled out by several different ladies and then looked around. The ajumma from before spotted her and waved her over.

 

“Please sit here! How did you like the service?” She asked Gabby.

 

Gabby talked to the older lady and told her a bit about herself. After finished the meal she thanked her and left. Wow, that lady was really nice. I like that church too. I think I’ll keep going to it. She thought to herself.

 

//////////////////////

 

Finally the day of the video shoot came around. Of course, it would be a marathon session, going for almost 30 hours straight, as is custom with Korean music videos. The set was in a building outside of Seoul, and so the dancers, Ukiss, and a bunch of managers and employees went to the set. Everyone had to have their clothes and makeup done. Gabby was wearing red shorts and a white midriff shirt, with her hair in a ponytail. Since the music video director wanted to shoot the individual members parts first, the dancers had a bit of time to relax.

 

Gabby watched when Kevin was shooting. Wow, he was really professional! He had definitely been in the business for a while. Gabby was impressed. Since the song was y, Kevin had to make faces at the camera, where he rubbed his lips and acted cool. Gabby thought this was hilarious and was laughing to herself when she saw it. She watched for a few more minutes, and then went into the back room to rest.

 

“I saw you laughing at me.”

Gabby whipped around and saw Kevin staring at her.

“What?! Me??” She exclaimed innocently.

“Yes you. You think I look funny?”

“Well you were making funny faces…”

Kevin just shook his head and turned away.

“So you’re done with your part now?”

“Yeah, they are recording with Hoon and Kiseop now. It’ll be awhile before group dance scene.”

“Ah ok~”

 

Gabby wanted to talk to Kevin more, since she had been lonely waiting for the dance sequences. She began to ask Kevin about the music video process.

“So are the shoots like this?”

“Yeah, mainly. In buildings a lot, unless we do an outside shoot. They last a long time too.”

“Yeah so I’ve heard. I’m not looking forward to it.”

 

They talked more, with Kevin telling Gabby stories from past video shoots and the different places they would go. Then he started talking about tour stories and the countries that they had visited. He was a really nice guy, and would make Gabby laugh. Wow, he is really nice. What was Sookyung going on about his seriousness? She thought.

 

Finally was the recording for the group dance sequence. Everyone danced together, and after several hours the footage was perfect for the director. However, the shoot still was not over. They had to record the individual members dance sequences. Gabby tried to take a nap when it was not her turn.

“Gabby wake up!”

She opened her eyes and Kevin standing over the couch she was passed out on.

“It’s our turn now.”

Gabby looked at her cell phone. 3:40AM the screen glowed. What the?! The shoot was still going on?! With a groan Gabby got up. She loved her sleep and wished they didn’t have to record it now. She followed Kevin to the brightly lit set. After performing the dance sequence a few times they recorded it. Gabby instantly awoke when she had to touch Kevin and he had to touch her. However, the director was not happy with the take and made them do it again and again.

 

“What’s wrong? You’re too tired?” Kevin asked her between takes.

“Yeah, it’s hard with no sleep.”

“You can do it! Try to wake up” he encouraged her.

 

Their sequence was finally done. After a lot of takes the steps had been good enough for the director. A few hours later, the shoot was over. Everyone bowed to each other and then left back to Seoul.

 

Gabby kept thinking about Kevin. She had really enjoyed conversing with him for a long time, as well as dancing with him. Luckily for her, when the music video came out she would dance with him on stage for music promotions.