Nine

Just Smile and Make Believe (I don't feel a thing)

If Mark had thought the trip out to San Francisco was tense, it had absolutely nothing on the one back.

Mark thought his only saving grace was that because he and Kyuhyun had been the first to arrive at the jet, he’d been able to situate himself strategically. Kyuhyun, who was being more attentive and kind than ever before, was pleased enough to have Mark tuck in next to him, with Changmin and Minho as effective buffers.

“Mark,” Henry tried once and only once before takeoff. He gripped the back of a seat tightly and didn’t look like he was willing to budge for anything in the world. “Come sit with me. We’ll talk.”

“Talk?” Mark had asked, arching an eyebrow. It was a childish thing to do, burrowing deeper into Kyuhyun’s side as if they were cousins instead of Mark and Henry. But it made him feel better to cause the flicker of pain on Henry’s face. “I’m surprised that now you want to talk and tell me things. Is it only now because you have to? Because you don’t have any choice and you’ve got to try and save face?”

Henry’s jaw set stubbornly. “I want to explain.”

“I don’t want to hear you explain,” Mark said, crossing his arms. “I don’t care what you have to say. I think you need to give me my space, because thanks to you, I get to spend the entire trip back to school thinking about how my cousin, the only person I have left in this world that I trust with all of my heart, has been withholding important things from me. This is important, Henry. Do you get that? Do you even understand that? This breech of trust is … maybe something we can’t come back from.”

From behind Henry, Zhou Mi said quietly, “Henry, he deserves his space. He deserves the right to feel betrayed. You can’t make him forgive you or want to talk to you. You can only let him be.”

Mark felt a burst of anger towards Zhou Mi. He was always so quiet and respectful. He was generous and calm and it was driving Mark crazy. It would have been so much easier to hate Zhou Mi if he were mean or rude or not honorable.

“I didn’t hide this from you to hurt you,” Henry said as Amber tugged him back, the captain calling for them to ready for takeoff.

“You still did,” Mark shot back to him. He watched Henry shuffle off to a seat in the front and wanted to hurl even more hurtful words at him. Or maybe Zhou Mi, who was lingering with eyes filled with regret, but likely not over the match itself.

“I take it,” Kyuhyun cut in evenly to Zhou Mi, “Mark’s uncle will be remaining behind.”

Zhou Mi who nodded. “He has additional business to attend to. He asked that we pass along to Mark that he’ll continue to work from his end, and hopes that Mark will take his safety as his utmost priority.” Zhou Mi fell silent for a moment, and then Mark felt their eyes lock. “Your safety is my priority, Mark. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Mark wanted to scream. He wanted to cry. He just wanted to be able to breathe. Because it was all making so much sense now. Zhou Mi following him around, always being there, and all the dark looks he sent to Jackson, it all made sense. JB had remarked about Zhou Mi scaring off potential suitors and it was now that Mark realized it had been on purpose. Of course Zhou Mi had been running the competition off. He’d been staking a claim and Mark hadn’t even realized it.

From the side Minho interjected, “You should get to your seat. It would be a shame if anything happened to you during takeoff.”

Changmin cracked a devilish smile. “I bet Prince Mark would hate that.”

Mark didn’t know if he’d suddenly become best friends with Minho and Changmin, but he certainly liked them better now than ever before.

Zhou Mi’s head tilted and then he was headed to a seat in the front near Henry.

“Speak with him,” Kyuhyun said softly, most of his voice being drowned out by the engines. “You owe him. You’re angry now, but there is always more to a situation than what is perceived at first glance.”

Mark’s eyes widened in disbelief. “You think I owe him?”

“You owe him,” Kyuhyun said once more, giving no room for disagreement. “Let him speak his mind. You’ll understand better then.”

Mark was happy enough to doze through the rest of the flight. Minho and Changmin talked him into a couple rounds of poker, none of which they permitted Kyuhyun to play, claiming that he was a card counting cheater. And for the most part, despite the tension, the flight was uneventful.

And neither did anything remarkable happen during the journey from the small airport they arrived at, to Hawthorne Academy via the same black sedan that had driven them the first time.

Mark stuck to Kyuhyun the entire time, and both Henry and Zhou Mi let it happen. Mark sort of dared them to try and stop him.

“This way,” Kyuhyun said, guiding Mark when they arrived back to campus. “I’ve had your things, those that survived, moved up to your new room.”

“My new room?” With him Mark carried the blue box that contain the remains of his family. It had been kept safe in the plane while Mark had faced down the council.

“The room you should have had from the beginning,” Kyuhyun remarked, and took him up the very top floor of the boy’s dorm, to the door next to Kyuhyun’s.

“I don’t need all this,” Mark said, happy to have a break from the wounded looks Henry was sending him and the guilty ones from Zhou Mi. They hadn’t followed him past the elevator, and Amber hadn’t gone past the entrance to the dormitory itself.

The new room he was assigned to was the same size as Kyuhyun’s and way more than he could possible make use of. Unlike Kyuhyun’s room that looked lived in, this one was sterile and spotless, and Mark worried how much effort it would take to make it look like Kyuhyun’s. Mark didn’t own much in the way of personal possessions, and hadn’t even had enough to fill the much smaller room he’d had before. “And what do you mean I should have had this room from the beginning?”

As Mark moved from one side of the room to another in awe, Kyuhyun settled himself on the edge of a nearby sofa. He gave Mark an incredulous look and said, “You’re a prince, Mark. Do you really think a prince should have had the room you did?”

“It seemed fine to me?” Mark shrugged. He’d never been the kind of person who cared about having a lot or being someone others found envious.

“Aish,” Kyuhyun huffed out. “Zhou Mi was right. Your parents raised you in a bubble. Mark, the only reason you received the room you did was because you uncle wanted to keep you under your cousin’s thumb, and therefore his own. Putting you in the room across from him insured that Henry would know where you were at all times, and what you were doing. It also put you close enough to Zhou Mi that together the two of them could exercise complete control of you. Tell me you realized this already.”

“My cousin isn’t like that,” Mark said sharply. He didn’t now if he and Henry could recover from what had just happened, but Mark certainly wasn’t going to let anyone drag him through the mud. Or imply anything the likes of what Kyuhyun was.

“He’s like that enough to keep the knowledge that you’re matched from you.”

Mark leveled a heavy finger at Kyuhyun and pointed. “Don’t try to manipulate me or the situation. Stop trying to turn me against Henry.”

A pleased expression crossed Kyuhyun’s face. “You’re learning, I see.” He rose from his seat and headed to the door. “I’ll be going now. Try to stay out of trouble for five minutes. I’ll more than displeased if I have to create an incident of some kind because you got yourself into trouble and need me to help you out.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “I’d never ask you to.” Well, not unless he really had to. Being indebted to anyone, even someone considered an ally, was never a good thing.

“You wouldn’t have to,” Kyuhyun called back to Mark, and that probably said more about what they were to each other than anything else.

Being left alone, Mark considered moments later, was worse than having to deal with the riddle that was Kyuhyun. And the last thing he wanted to do was be alone with only his thoughts for company.

Mark crossed the large living space to his bedroom and opened the door. The bedroom looked like it could fit half a dozen people easily, and the bed was bigger than the one that had been in his parent’s bedroom. He’d be so lonely in it. And honestly, Mark was starting to dread the loneliness more than anything else.

“Here, mom, dad,” Mark said almost absently, setting the porcelain box atop the dresser near the sunblocked window. He fussed with the box for a second trying to position it perfectly, and then gave a nod of satisfaction.

In the corner of the room, laid out on the settee, were the few possessions he owned, even less than he’d thought. His laptop had survived the destruction, and so had most of his school related items. They were put into place easily, and Mark took care to make sure all of his uniforms were lined up. But then there was nothing left to do.

A look to the clock on the wall told Mark that classes had been over for several hours, and the final meal of the night was probably almost over as well. Curfew would be soon, and then the sun would come up and Mark would have to lay alone in the bed and only have his thoughts for company.

Those thoughts might drive him crazy he reasoned, especially now that he knew what he did about his parents had done.

Had he been such a fool to believe them? The more he considered it, the stupider he felt. He didn’t know any council families that didn’t explicitly arrange the marriages of all their children. Why had he expected to be different? Because he’d wanted to choose? He’d been a fool, and his parents had lied to him because they’d known how he’d react.

And … what if that was the reason his father had been pushing them talking about his introduction? What if that was the reason his father had been paying so much attention to it. It was completely possible his father had been preparing to break the news to him, and the truth that with his introduction would come his match as well.

“Damn,” Mark eased out. Had his family lived, had they not been attacked, he would have been properly introduced. He would have met Zhou Mi under better circumstances, and together they would have spent the next few years getting to know each other, preparing to marry one day. It wouldn’t have made the match itself okay, and no doubt Mark would have fought it initially, but things would have been better. There wouldn’t have been such a string of dishonesty, and he’d have had time to ease into the idea of Zhou Mi being his match.

But if that had happened, there wouldn’t have been other things--Hawthorne for one. It was extremely unlikely his parents would have sent him to Hawthorne. He wouldn’t have gotten to meet all his friends, or experience all the things he had.

Mark liked to think that through the adversity, he’d grown stronger. It was one of the few positive things he could claim. Being on his own at Hawthorne had made him much stronger, but also more bold, independent, and confident.

But then he thought of the one thing that was better than anything else. The best thing he’d encountered due to the tragedy he’d experienced.

Jackson.

Mark wouldn’t have met Jackson if his life hadn’t been changed irrevocably. He wouldn’t have gotten to kiss him. Jackson would never have come into Mark’s life and they certainly wouldn’t have been boyfriends.

At the thought, Mark’s heart ached, and he had a sudden urge to see Jackson, touch him and talk to him. To reassure himself.

Plus, he had a huge, mostly empty, completely new room. That called for company. And Mark knew just the people to invite over.

“Holy ! That’s one huge bed!”

Mark laughed as Jackson took a running jump at the bed fifteen minutes later, bringing a much needed ease to Mark’s condition. Mark watched Jackson hit the bed hard, but expertly roll across it, just in time as Jr., Youngjae and BamBam came barreling through the door after him with their own jumps.

“You sure you want us all in here?” JB asked, bring up the rear with Yugyeom. “After what happened last night?”

Mark wasn’t surprised the whole school had found out what had happened. The best thing he could probably do was put on a brave face and keep going. Not fall apart. Not be weak. Or at least pretend like he wasn’t.

“I do,” Mark said, his gaze flicking over to the blue box on the dresser. “I don’t want to be alone, and you guys are my friends. I want you here.”

“This is the best bed in the world!” Jackson declared, sprawling himself out across it, delivering a kick to BamBam and shouting, “Get off my perfect bed.”

“It’s not your bed!” BamBam shouted back, throwing an elbow.

“My boyfriend equals my bed!”

JB asked Mark, “You’re his boyfriend now? Really? He’s not just running his mouth?”

“Really,” Mark confirmed.

Jackson was his boyfriend. Not Zhou Mi. And if what Kyuhyun said was true, it didn’t matter that he’d been matched years before it came out. He’d dissolve the match the first chance he got, and with any luck, Jackson would never have to know.

“I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into with him,” JB said, Then he added, heading off after the others, “Call me for aspirin when you need it. In fact, put me on speed dial. I can do at least that much for you.”

The rest of the night was spent with Mark able to at least partially forget his troubles. His friends were exceptionally good at distracting him from everything that had happened, and he was particularly taken with the way Jackson would pointedly hold his hand ever few minuets and shoot the others boastful looks. Never had Mark felt like he was someone to be shown off, or someone that could make someone else proud. That had always been Grace, and sometimes even Tammy. But it was nice to be valued. It was nice to see the look in Jackson’s eyes and know it was because of him.

“You’re unbelievable,” JB said with a heavy eye roll after one exceptional look from Jackson, but had to endure his own round of teasing when sleeping arrangements were being worked out and Jr. wanted to sleep next to him.

Mark ended up squeezed onto his bed with Jackson on one side, Jr. on the other, and JB at the far end. Yugyeom was sprawled out on the floor with a mountain of pillows and blankets that were probably better than any mattress pad, and BamBam and Youngjae were in the other room completely, stretched out on the twin sofas.

In the sun protected bedroom, with Jackson’s fingers still threaded with Mark’s, the younger male remarked, “You’re less hot when you’re so worried. You get creases in your forehead. But don’t worry, I’m not completely shallow. You’re really good at making out, so we can just do it with the lights off or something.”

Mark grinned a bit, needing a bit of humor to lift his spirits. “Well, as long as I don’t have to watch you go cross-eyed when we kiss, it’s a fair trade.”

Jackson choked out a snort of sorts, then he was laughing fully, which made Mark chuckle, too.

“You’re my favorite ever,” Jackson said at a whisper. But then he was quiet for a long time. His fingers traced over the pulse at Mark’s wrist and he asked, “Did you go get business taken care of? Did you … make sure something like that is never going to happen again?”

“I don’t know,” Mark answered honestly. “There’s a lot I can’t say. Council stuff. I’m sorry.”

Jackson gave a grunt. “Were they terrible to deal with? I’ve heard horror stories.”

Mark listened to the even breathing of the other people in the room before giving Jackson’s hand a squeeze and saying, “I had seen them before, but this was my first time having to really deal with them. I think half of them barely remembered I was there, and the other half seemed like they were trying shut me out. It , and I have an unfortunate feeling that they’ll try to do this to me for a long time.”

Jackson, his head sharing a pillow with Mark’s, said softly, “Want me to beat them up for you?”

“I severely doubt you’re capable of that. We’re talking about pureblood vampires, some of which are hundreds of years old.”

Jackson gave a scoff. “Have you seen these guns?”

Mark reminded, “It’s pitch black in here. You know I can’t see you flexing.”

“Ah, but you know I’m flexing, which means you know what my arms look like, and you know they’re awesome.”

God help him, but Mark really did. Jackson had the perfect definition in his arms, all toned muscles and taut skin. They were probably Mark’s favorite part of Jackson.

“Not matter how awesome you claim your arms are, you’re talking about going up against warrior vampires, and a lot of them fought in the old wars. I assume that’s why they’re so …desensitized. I wouldn’t advise it. And I’d actually consider it a favor if you didn’t think about it. I might want to keep you around for a while.”

An unexpected kiss came from Jackson, soft lips brushing against Mark’s. “Just for you, I won’t beat them up. Okay?”

Mark leaned over for another kiss, this one longer. “Thanks. You’re so gracious.”

“Just getting in my charity work for the day.”

“I am going to vomit everywhere,” JB said unexpectedly, and Mark had really thought he was asleep. “If there are any wandering hands, or any tongue for that matter, I will vomit everywhere.”

Jackson blew him a raspberry and Mark laughed into his pillow.

On Monday, without any fanfare, Mark told Zhou Mi firmly, “I understand that my parents arranged for me to be matched to you, probably before I could even walk. And your parents likely did the same. But I’m the head of my family now, and I can’t go through with it. I’m going to end the match when I’m introduced. I just wanted to give you a heads up.”

Kyuhyun had said to talk to Zhou Mi, and Mark doubted this counted, but it was the best he could do at the moment. At least Mark was trying. He could have shut Zhou Mi out completely. Part of him had wanted to.

Zhou Mi, looking more crestfallen than Mark had ever seen before, said, “Wouldn’t you like to give this some thought? We are complimentary. We could be very good together. We could support and protect each other. You could think of it more as a partnership if you wanted to.”

“I don’t even know you,” Mark argued.

“And that,” Zhou Mi returned, “is why a lengthy period of courtship exists after introduction but before marriage. We don’t know each other because we haven’t tried to just yet. But I very much do want to know you, Mark. I want you to consider me and what I can bring to a shared marriage between us.”

How had Grace done this? How had she swallowed down the last of her freedom and smiled at Kyuhyun and said yes. Was it because she had to? Or was it because she had genuine affection for Kyuhyun? Kyuhyun claimed she cared for him, even if it wasn’t love, and she did always look happy when she went to their scheduled meetings. She hadn’t looked as if she were going towards a mere obligation.

If Grace had cared for Kyuhyun, and possibly even looked forward to their match, then Mark knew he could eventually mirror that with Zhou Mi. Except Grace hadn’t had anyone else that she’d felt something for, not like Mark did. There hadn’t been a third wheel to Grace and Kyuhyun’s relationship, unless Siwon counted. And with Mark and Zhou Mi, there was a very obvious third wheel.

Readying himself, Mark said, “I’m not pissed off anymore about this. I’m not angry and thinking irrationally. But us being matched isn’t as simple as you want it to be. There’s someone else to consider. There’s someone who’s special to me, who I have feelings for. And that’s the only thing I can think about. I have feelings for him, and the truth is, Zhou Mi, I don’t have feelings for you. And I can’t force myself to fake it, and I won’t. so I don’t want to hurt you or him.” He’d long since reasoned that he could be upset with Zhou Mi, but also not want to hurt him.

“You are referring to that other boy. The one who is exceptionally inclined to touch you.”

“Jackson,” Mark said, not breaking his gaze with Zhou Mi. “We’re dating right now. I’m telling you that so we’re on even ground and completely honest with each other. I don’t think I have to tell you how important it is that we’re honest with each other from this moment on out. Jackson and I are dating. We started dating before I knew that we’re matched, and we’re still dating now. Nothing is changing between myself and Jackson. I like him. Romantically. I don’t have romantic feelings for you.”

Zhou Mi’s head ducked a bit. “Our match, traditionally as well as expectedly, is one of exclusivity. I have never, not since the moment I was old enough to understand what it meant to be matched, touched another in any way that might be construed as less than proper. I have to assume that your parents did not allow you to date either.”

Mark had kissed people before, but Zhou Mi was right. His parents had forbidden dating. They’d claimed it was because of his age, but now it seemed to be tied to his match. In any case, it didn’t matter.

Mark tried to tell Zhou Mi gently, “There’s something else I need you to understand wholly. This is the most important part. I’m going to be head of my family. Kyuhyun said that means I exercise complete control over my own match. So I’m telling you now, almost two full months before I’m introduced, that I will be ending our match. After I’m introduced, I’m going to end it. Then you’re going to be free to choose whoever you want to be with. I hope you choose to be with someone who you love and who loves you in return. At least someone who can feel something more than brotherly affection for you. Please see this as me giving you your freedom.”

Zhou Mi scoffed, features pinched. “Freedom. You have no concept of what freedom means to me. And you are deluded if you think you’ll find yours in the company of a half blood.”

“None of that matters to me. A half blood is just as worthy as a pureblood. And thinking otherwise is antiquated.”

“Then,” Zhou Mi poised, “it means nothing to you that your family has kept its blood absolutely pure for over four hundred years? It means nothing to you that preserving your bloodline was your mother’s purpose for marrying your father, and for the match between your sister and Kyuhyun?”

“My parents loved each other,” Mark shot back. He’d seen it every day in every way for fifteen years. “They married each other because they loved each other.”

For the first time, Zhou Mi looked frustrated, “You’re not a child, Mark. Don’t think as one. Your parents grew into their love, as all matches do. Their match was a joining of the fourth and eighth families, and was arranged in their childhood. I have no doubt, from what I witnessed from them, that they loved each other very deeply. But love has never once dictated a match, and it never will.”

Mark pushed his fingers through his bangs. “I’m not saying I’m going to marry Jackson or anything. But I’m going to date him, and I don’t care if he’s a pureblood or not. I also hope my parents would be happier to see me with someone I love, than anyone who can keep the bloodline clean from human corruption.”

“You might find your supposition on that last instance is incorrect.”

Calmly, Mark said, “Zhou Mi, I respect you. I like you. I consider you a friend and I trust you. But I’m not going to stay matched to you.”

“Because of the half-blood.”

“Because,” Mark insisted, “I can’t be with someone I don’t love. And I’m sixteen. What do I know about love. Nothing. I barely know who I am right now. I can’t start to think about loving someone and being with them for the rest of my very long life.”

“You don’t know that you won’t come to love me. Familiarity breeds affection. I would care for you deeply, support you in your every endeavor, be a sounding board to anything you have to say, and most of all, I would keep you and the fourth family safe. That’s my purpose, Mark. Your parents matched us so you could be great, and that I could help you obtain that greatness.”

Mark wanted to hug him. It was an odd impulse, considering Mark wasn’t overly tactile, but he really wanted to. It was likely a response to seeing Zhou Mi so defeated. The taller vampire had never seemed this way before. Not even a little bit. And for all the things about him that annoyed Mark, and the breech of trust, Zhou Mi was honorable, admirable and truly a good person. Zhou Mi deserved better than what Mark could give him.

Mark gave Zhou Mi a long smile, then shook his head. “If we did stay matched, and ended up married, maybe I could come to feel something for you. But that’s a big maybe. What if we court for twenty years and I still don’t feel anything? What if we get married and by year fifty there’s still nothing? Or worse, you feel everything and I feel nothing. That’s an unfair risk for either of us. I can’t commit to you if I don’t know how long, if ever, it will take for that love to come.”

Zhou Mi’s shoulders slumped. “There are very few things in this life worth risking everything on, Mark. Love, I personally believe, is one of them. People fall in love with each other all the time. People fall in love without expecting to. You might find love with me, if you only give it a chance.”

Mark wasn’t willing to hedge his entire future on a maybe.

“I’m sorry,” he said with finality, and his stomach clenched painfully at the look of devastation on Zhou Mi’s face. His expression made Mark feel like dirt. Worse than that, he felt a pang of regret that he couldn’t place the origin of. And for one brief second, he wondered if he’d made the right choice.

That was Monday.

On Tuesday, or rather Tuesday through Thursday, Mark told Henry firmly, “Stop pushing me at Zhou Mi. I’m going to end my match with him, I’m not interested in him, and you should be thankful I’m even willing to look at your face, let alone speak to you right now. Also, I already have a boyfriend and he’s not a pureblood. Deal with it.” It was a trying process.

The through Thursday aspect applied to the fact that Henry spent all of Tuesday fanning himself like an eighteenth century woman in a bodice too tight, and Wednesday threatening to call Mark’s uncle and have him down to the school to talk some sense into him right away. On Thursday Henry tried giving Mark the silent treatment, to which Mark deliberately sat with Jackson, JB and a cluster of red tie wearing students for both the first and second meals of the day. Henry’s silent treatment ended hours later that night, and the nagging was back.

The truth was, whether Mark wanted it to be easy to forgive Henry or not, it really was. Henry was his best friend. Henry was the kind of loyal person that was quite rare, and he’d never done something to hurt Mark on purpose before. Neither did Mark think he’d done this on purpose, either. Henry had only been doing what Henry knew how to do best, which was try to protect people he cared about from things that could hurt them. Mark could be angry at him for it, but he couldn’t hate him. And he could forgive him.

“I’m tired of doing what other people want from me,” Mark said, not giving an inch. “I’m the head of this family now, Henry. I may have gotten here through some awful circumstances, but it doesn’t change what the truth is. So I’m going to have my boyfriend who isn’t a pureblood. And I’m not going to hide that fact from anyone. You can feel free to not like it all you want, and tell uncle if you want. But nothing will change. Do you understand me? Nothing will change.”

Friday was the best, however. On Friday Jackson kissed Mark so hard that Mark felt a twinge of pain across his lips, and told him they were going into town for a proper date the following day. The kiss happened in front of everyone, during their phys ed period, and it swept through the school like wildfire, earning Mark various types of responses. The only response Mark cared about what how tantalizing Jackson felt, and who then proceeded to kiss him publicly at every opportunity.

It was apparently a scandal, his kissing Jackson, but it also meant that it hadn’t come out to the general public that Zhou Mi was his match. Mark hadn’t known what a significant thing that was until Amber, looking more stern that ever, crossed her arms and said, “Do you have any idea what that sort of thing would do to Zhou Mi’s reputation? What you kissing someone not your match would mean for him?”

Mark really hadn’t. So he’d shook his head in a confused way and protested, “But it’s me doing the kissing, Not Zhou Mi.”

Amber jammed a hard finger into his chest and stated, “You’re the head of your family. Your authority is extensive, and no doubt people would talk behind your back. But they wouldn’t dare say anything publicly, and your reputation wouldn’t be in question. Zhou Mi, however, would be a different story. Henry said you don’t plan to keep your match arrangement. That’s your choice, Mark. But don’t hurt Zhou Mi’s reputation by your current actions. If you do, it won’t just be his family who shuns him after the match is called off.”

“People will treat Zhou Mi badly if I kiss Jackson and it comes out that I’m still matched to Zhou Mi?”

Amber gave as serious nod. “Don’t adverse your match, okay? If you plan to see Jackson, and if you plan to end your match with Zhou Mi, don’t tell anyone anything. The backlash would be bad for Zhou Mi. If you care about him in any way, even a little and in the name of friendship, protect him on this, Mark. Don’t let him suffer because you don’t want to do what your parents ultimately determined was the best course of action. Don’t hurt him because you an’t face your responsibility.

She turned to leave and Mark actually felt anger. She was telling him, maybe not in so many words, that she was disappointed in him. She was saying she didn’t think he should end his match. She thought he was doing the wrong thing.

And that hurt. Because of all people, he’d thought Amber would be on his side. Sure, she hadn’t had a choice in being matched to Henry, but Henry had gone out of his way to win her over. Henry, Mark knew, had always made it clear to Amber that her feelings came first, and he’d do whatever it was to keep her happy in their match. He’d done his best to afford her at least some choice in what happened between them. Henry had given Amber as much freedom as possible--more than probably should have been possible.

So why was Amber saying Mark didn’t get that same choice? Why didn’t she think he got to choose freedom?

But that probably was the right thing to focus on anyway. His mind was made up. And on at least one front, Amber was right. The least he could do was protect Zhou Mi’s reputation. He didn’t deserve to be treated badly because Mark was ending their match.

Mark would keep his mouth shut about their match. It wasn’t vampire common knowledge, and Mark was certain that only the council and people directly tied to the council knew about it. None of them would say anything, none of them would gossip. So all Mark had to do was keep quiet for a few more weeks.

“We just have to tone it down,” Mark told Jackson the next time he saw him, right before they left for their date. “We’re not hiding our relationship, but we’re not flaunting it, either.”

Jackson eyed him. “I can still kiss you?”

Mark nodded. “No lengthy make-outs in public, but yes, we can still kiss. Just for a little bit, okay?”

“Okay,” Jackson said easily enough. “Ready to go?”

Mark scribbled a note to Henry, slipped it under his door, and promptly fled the school feeling like a rebel.

It took fifteen minutes for Jackson to wrangle them up a ride into town, but even less for them to actually get there.

“My cousin said the humans throw some pretty wicked parties here in town,” Mark said, all but pulling Jackson forward as he took in the sights and sounds around him. The entire town was lit up like a Christmas tree, bright and sparkling against the night sky, filled to capacity with actual residents and about half of the school’s population. Mark couldn’t blame any of the students for wanting to leave campus during their free days.

“Totally,” Jackson agreed, giving Mark a rare, genuine smile that made Mark’s knees knock together for a second. “Especially the further we get into the school year. Classes get harder, tests get more frequent, and the students need some stress relief. Parties are the way to go.”

They got steamed pork buns from a local vendor, and with their fingers never losing grip of each other, Mark said, “I was raised near a town like this. With humans and vampires mixing together so easily. It was all I knew for a really long time. My uncle hated every second that he had to come near the town, and he absolutely had to pass through to get to my parent’s house. He said it was filthy, the way the vampires mixed with the humans, but it was perfect to me.”

Jackson stuffed too much of his food into his mouth, chewed exaggeratedly and made Mark laugh before asking, “Your uncle really hates humans, doesn’t he?”

“And mixed bloods,” Mark said with a sigh. “But mostly humans. His wife, my aunt, was killed by humans a while ago. Everyone says it was an accident, but my uncle never believed it was. He’d always hated humans before that, but losing her really pushed him over the deep end. He’s going to freak out when Henry eventually tells him I’m dating you.” The fact that Henry hadn’t told him yet, or let anyone else for that matter, was certainly earning him bonus points in the cousin department. “He might even show up to confront you. You might want to be prepared for that. He’ll no doubt come with a lecture about blood purity and knowing one’s rightful place.”

Jackson asked curiously, “Will he take his white glove off after that and smack me across the cheek with it? Will there be a pistol duel?”

“You jest,” Mark laughed, “but Henry’s about to settle down and become a boring adult. I’m the only one he has left to hover around protectively. He might actually challenge you to a duel in hopes of winning and getting you to back off. He’s old fashioned like that. I shouldn’t have to tell you, but he was terribly upset when duels went out of fashion in the twentieth century.”

“Hey.” Jackson wiggled his eyebrows and leveled an arm up, flexing his muscles. “Remember these guns? Here, let me move more into the light so you can see properly. I don’t want you to miss a second of these bad boys. If he challenges, I’m so ready.”

Mark laughed against and broke off a piece of his bun, popping it in his mouth. “I’m half a second away from swooning. I swear.”

“I’ll catch you,” Jackson promised. “Sweep you right off your feet.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “Come on. I think I hear music.”

The music turned out to be some street performers that had drawn an impressive crowd. Mark instantly recognized a couple of the men performing an intricate dance to a music track as some of the people he’d seen in the dance class the one time he’d gone. There were no acrobatics this time, but the synchronization was impressive to say the least.

“Oh, ,” Jackson said as a small group approached the performers. “Things are about to get real.”

“Huh? Why?”

Mark looked between the two groups. The second he didn’t recognize anyone from.

“Watch this,” Jackson prodded, pushing at the crowd to get Mark and himself closer to the front. He let his arms slip around Mark’s waist and hold him tight, his chin on Mark’s shoulder.

The fight that Mark had almost expected turned out to be a dance battle. The first group, made up of Key and his four friends, apparently had a friendly rivalry going on with the newly arrived group of five.

“What kind of stage name is G-Dragon?” Mark asked, only to be hushed by Jackson.

Watching the two groups gave Mark a real thirst to get back to the dance studio and relieve some stress again. Or just have fun. Especially if he could learn some of the moves he’d just seen.

Hours later, after more steamed pork buns, a trip down the bustling main street was had. Mark listened to the vendors shout themselves hoarse to make a sale and tagged along happily as Jackson inspected caps, haggled over silver trinkets, and finally held a beaded necklace up to Mark.

“This one,” Jackson decided.

“Really?” Mark asked. The beads were black and not inexpensive, decidedly masculine in nature, and the more Mark thought about them, something he liked. “You sure?”

Jackson was so sure he bought the beads and then lifted them over Mark’s head, remarking, “You’re my boyfriend now, Mark. Okay? That means you have to look cool at all times. This is a nice start.”

Mark gave him a push. “Are you trying to say that I don’t always look cool?”

“Chocolate!” Jackson said, cutting away from the topic to pull Mark towards a different vendor.

They ate squares of dark chocolate against the backdrop of a star filled sky with just enough privacy to make them bold enough to steal kisses hidden in the dark. When Mark kissed Jackson he tasted the sweetness of the chocolate and thought if ever there was a moment to go diabetic, this was it.

Then finally, sadly, it was time to head back to the school. The sun was due to rise in only a few hours and Mark had no doubt his cousin was waiting up for him, a lecture ready to go.

“We’ll come back next week,” Jackson promised, cutting down a side street with his pinky linked through Mark’s. “And next time, I’ll take you to this really cool--”

Mark had only a split second’s warning before Jackson was barreling into him, throwing the both of them off balance. Mark smashed heavily to the ground, his skin scraping against the concrete harshly. Jackson was heavy against him and Mark wondered for a moment if Jackson had merely tripped.

And then Mark saw the bolt gleaming from where it protruded from Jackson’s back, coated in blood, too close to Jackson’s heart.

Something whistled through the air and Mark turned them both violently to the side, dropping Jackson to the ground fully and springing up to his feet. A second bolt, the kind made of reinforced steel and made to pack a punch, smashed into the ground where they’ been.

He could smell them. Three of them, human, and in various locations. Two ahead of him, one behind, and novices if they’d missed hitting him with the second shot, after Jackson intercepted the first.

“Mark,” Jackson moaned out from the ground. He was hurt, badly, but Mark knew enough to determine that it wasn’t a fatal wound he’d incurred. At least not if they got help right away. Jackson was losing blood fast, but the bolt hadn’t hit anything vital.

“Come out now!” Mark snapped, feeling the predator in him uncoil. His fangs dropped almost immediately, his senses picking up, and his body tensing for a fight. It was an instinctive reaction, one he’d never had before, but it was something that felt natural, and so was the violent urge bubbling up in him to attack.

“Little vampire,” a voice called from the darkness, settling around Mark ominously. “Can you come out and play?”

Mark saw the first one shortly after that, bolt-action crossbow in hand, aiming once more at Jackson, this time for a killing blow.

With a feral roar, and seeing red, Mark pounced, sweeping around him like a deadly waltz, his fangs ripping through the man’s throat effortlessly. He was stronger than the human, even if he was inexperienced, and he was much, much faster.

Something painful clipped Mark’s arm, and spun him partially off balance, but he had too much momentum by then, and he couldn’t be stopped. It was too easy to spot the second human, dash to his side and then something in Mark was taking over, forcing his hands to the man’s neck, and twisting until the bones snapped.

The third man tried to run, even as blood dripped its way down Mark’s arm. The man tried to run and Mark caught him easily, toying with him for a second, making him beg for his life, before ending it ruthlessly.

“Mark!” Jackson called out, but Mark couldn’t stop. He couldn’t get his breathing under control or his heart to stop pounding. He couldn’t stop being so angry. Angry at the humans who’d dared attack him again, who’d hurt Jackson and tried to kill him. Angry at the humans who killed is family, who dared torment him, and who were so brazen and so bold that they thought they could get away with it. Those inferior creatures.

And wasn’t it laughable that three of them had thought they’d be a match for him? Mark could take on double that amount, triple even, and not break a sweat. The humans had no idea what he was capable of, or what was inside him.

But they’d certainly know now.

“Hey!” Jackson grabbed Mark’s face sharply, fingernails digging into the soft skin there. “Get control of the beast!”

He couldn’t. He couldn’t even begin to. The anger was too much. The furry …

“I mean it!” Jackson slapped the side of Mark’s cheek none too gently. “Pull it together.”

Slowly, very slowly, Mark let rationale and civility seep back into his bones. But it was a fight to get it there. The rage didn’t want to leave. The rage fought against being pushed down, and the rage was easier than the calm. But he had to. He had to for Jackson who was bleeding and hurting and in need of help.

“Jackson,” he said, no more than a minute later, reaching a shaking hand out to inspect the wound on Jackson’s chest.

“I need,” Jackson said, voice strained as sweat collected on his forehead, “a doctor. Help me?”

“Jackson,” Mark whispered, looking around at the three dead men around him. He’d killed them. He was responsible for snatching their lives from them in an instance, and it had been so easy to lose control.

“Doctor,” Jackson said again, swaying on his feet, and Mark didn’t now how he’d gotten there in the first place.

Mark barely remembered anything at all. Except for the feelings. He remembered the feeling of breaking a neck, ripping through soft tissue to get to a still beating heart, and now he knew what I felt like to hold a man as he died. The feelings were still so strong.

“I killed …”

Jackson gave a low grunt and then passed out.

Mark caught him awkwardly, his own injuries flaring up, and then the world around them that had seemingly ground to a halt, caught up in a whirlwind of noise and light.

Shouting for help, desperately trying to field Jackson’s weight without causing him any harm, Mark found he couldn’t look away from the bodies. This was the first time he’d taken a life, and even if it had been in self defense, it terrified him that he was capable of such brutality. Vampire or not, his self control … apparently was non existent, when pushed to extremes.

“Help!” he shouted again and again, mortified at his own aggression, and sickened by the ease in which he’d given into bloodlust.

He hadn’t just killed three men in the heat of the moment, he’d loved every second of it.

For the first time ever, Mark was glad his parents were dead. He was relieved they weren’t there to see his actions, to know his shame, and to feel it themselves. And that was more painful than anything else.