One

Just Smile and Make Believe (I don't feel a thing)

Something big was going on, Mark could tell, because his mother hardly ever got dressed up. She was more of a jeans and tee-shirt kind of girl, much preferring to dig out in her garden and chase Mark and his siblings around than to wear fancy dresses and sit around entertaining the other ladies in the area. In fact Mark had only seen her host a soiree a few times in his life, out of necessity for his sister Grace’s introduction, then his sister Tammy’s. And even those had ended with his mom ducking out early and holing up in her studio to paint what Mark considered some of her best works to this day. It seemed escaping her the world of fancy parties and glinting jewels stirred her creativity.

But she was wearing a dress now, more like a gown, and as Mark watched her carefully apply her jewelry in the mirror, he thought she looked absolutely gorgeous. His mother was a little timeless, in all actually, with a strikingly youthful face that was round but slim, and wide hazel eyes that were the object of many compliments. She carried herself with grace and ease and absolutely commanded respect wherever she went. She was a queen, and Mark was constantly awed by her.

“Mom,” he eased out, watching her from across the room. He had his socked feet crossed in front of him as he sat on the settee in front of his parent’s massive bed, watching her at the vanity mirror. “Are you and dad going out?”

“No, darling. Not really.”

She fussed a little with her curled hair and he was quick to say, “You look perfect.”

Summer was almost over and they were inching towards August, which Mark knew meant full well that he’d be going back to school shortly. He’d barely see her, with his junior year on the horizon, especially if he took any of the special elective classes that his father was pushing for. The kind of classes that could boost him into a more prospective spot for next year’s collect application season.

Mark wasn’t even sure he wanted to go to college, but that was probably a moot point. Tammy had already finished her first year of college and loved it, and Grace was close to completing her degree with full honors. That seemed enough to set their father off down the path that college was for all his children.

“Thank you, darling.” His mother turned from the mirror and headed towards him, her dress rustling as she walked. It was a gown full of taffeta and cut flatteringly, as if she’d be dancing at a ball soon or looking to impress. Queens wore these kinds of dresses, with a bodice pulled tight to her slim figure and much too much cleavage for Mark’s eyes.

He wondered if all teenage boys felt so overprotective of their mothers. Certainly not the ones who had mothers who could take care of any possible threat, and still look good doing it. Mark’s mother fell into that category, but still he worried about how she’d draw eyes.

Voice trembling a little, like it always did when the subject came up, Mark asked in a low voice, “Is there a … meeting tonight?”

He felt a little foolish saying it, because it would have been obvious if there were an officially planned meeting of any sort. People would have been coming from all over for days now, and Mark would’ve had cousins and friends to play with. Not his two sisters who were seemingly too old to pay him any attention now, and his younger brother who equally wasn’t interested in him in the least bit.

“Darling,” his mother said, bending to kiss the top of his head. “Your father and I do have business to attend to tonight. You’ll be good for Tammy, won’t you? You’re a good boy. Try your best to keep your brother out of trouble.”

Tammy. If Tammy was being left in charge, likely to spend the night talking to her boyfriend on the phone while binging on sugary treats they were only supposed to have in moderation, it meant that Grace was ….

“I thought you said it wasn’t a meeting,” Mark asked, eyebrows furrowed in distracting frustration. “You’re taking Grace with you?”

Grace went with their parents a couple times a month for official business, because she’d already been introduced, and because she was her mother’s heir. Grace going with them, for any reason, meant something was up.

Before his mother could answer, or maybe deny him an answer, the bedroom door opened and his father swept into the room. He was dressed in a midnight black suit, looking clean cut and very handsome. Well, the cravat was a bit much, but Mark understood tradition and circumstance.

“Are you almost ready?” his father asked, then stopped short the moment he got a look at Mark’s mother. His face crumpled, looking softer than ever, and he likely didn’t notice Mark at all as he said, “You look absolutely stunning, wife.”

“You’re quite dashing yourself, husband.”

Mark flopped back on the bed as the kissing started. Some of his friends complained that their parents were always fighting, and a lot of them had divorced parents. Mark knew his parents were desperately and deeply in love with each other, even so many years after their marriage. It was a nice thing, to know how much stability they brought to the family, but they could go overboard with the kissing. They liked to kiss a lot.

“Mom,” Mark eased out, rolling to his side and propping his head up with an open palm. “You’ll mess your makeup.”

She laughed and broke away from Mark’s father, stating, “Of course you’re right, darling. Give me a moment more, husband.”

“Mark,” his father said, coming to sit next to him on the settee. “When your mother and I come back, sometime tomorrow, I want to talk to you about your introduction.”

Mark groaned and attempted to turn invisible. If ever there was a moment to develop sudden superpowers …

His father cuffed him lightly over the back of the head, playful enough that Mark knew he was still in the man’s favor. Truthfully, even when his father was mad at him, he never really fell out of favor. Mark was closer with his mother, that was certain, but his father always took special care with him. They didn’t need words and could sit in each other’s company for long periods of time, and had complimenting personalities for the most part. His father could be pushy, but it was always for Mark’s benefit.

Not everyone was lucky enough to have parents like Mark did, and he recognized the fact.

“Don’t make that noise,” his father said, white gloved fingers tapping Mark’s knee. “Your birthday is coming up. Just a few months. Like it or not, it’s time for your introduction. Don’t look so glum. Your sisters survived. You will too.”

Grace and Tammy had thrived during their introductions, possibly because they both liked all the attention, but also because they were intended for great things. They were his mother’s heirs, even Tammy who was second born. Mark and his brother Joey, to a degree, had been surprises, not at all expected, though not unwanted.

“Why can’t I just--” his question was cut off, likely a pointless question, when his mother swept back into the room and stole his father’s complete attention.

“Perfect,” his father said, getting to his feet. Mark had thought his father was speaking about his mother, who did look so perfect she was almost doll like, but then he continued, “I’m glad we understand each other, Mark. We’ll talk more tomorrow. There’ll be lots of planning to get done.”

“Dad,” Mark called after him, then stopped and let his shoulders fall. It was better to leave the fight for another day and not upset his parents. Especially not before they went wherever they were going, so dressed up and looking immaculate.

“Darling,” his mother said, holding a hand out for him. “See me downstairs?”

With a frown Mark got to his feet, hurrying to her side and taking the offered hand. “Okay.”

With his father in the lead, Mark walked his mother the long distance from the master bedroom to the front of the house, passing by Joey who had his door open and was screaming into a headset, captivated by the game on the TV in front of him. He shouted a goodbye at them, but never blinked from the game, a rope of licorice dangling from the side of his mouth.

“That boy,” his father sighed out, but there was a smile on his face. No one ever doubted that Joey was the baby of the family, and therefore got even more leeway than typical.

There was a man standing in the foyer, dressed almost identical to Mark’s father, save for a blood red cravat. Mark’s father’s was blue and much more flattering. But a half second later none of it mattered as Mark recognized who the man was.

“Uncle!”

Mark let go of his mother’s hand and she let it happen with predictable ease. He dashed down the foyer and threw himself into his uncle’s arms, squeezing tightly to the man he hadn’t seen in well over a year.

“Mark,” his uncle chuckled, patting his back comfortingly. “I swear, you grow a head taller every time I see you. You’re going to be your father’s height soon.”

Mark beamed. His uncle was by far the coolest person Mark knew. His uncle always wanted to have fun and take him new and exciting places. His uncle showered him with attention and gifts and truly made him feel special. If his mother doted on his sisters, and his father was extra lenient towards his brother, then at least Mark had his uncle.

“Marcus.”

There was something heavy in his father’s tone that had Mark looking back to him with a strange feeling.

It was very obvious to Mark, though never said aloud, that there was tension between his father and uncle. It was the only kind of familial tension that Mark could ever recall existing. He could, if he wanted to, trace the genesis of the animosity, but it dipped into the kind of territory Mark had no place being in, so for the most part, he tried not to think about it. He was his uncle Marcus’ namesake, and his mother’s beloved brother, but there was little affection between his father and uncle.

His uncle seemingly ignored his father and offered Mark a wink. “Your introduction is coming up, isn’t it?”

Mark nodded wordlessly, being sure to keep his eyes from drifting to his father. He hated that his uncle’s attention to his introduction made him just a bit more excited for it, and he didn’t want to hurt his father’s feelings by allowing it to show.

“Marcus,” his father said again.

Then his mother added, “Marcus, brother, we would love to discuss Mark’s introduction with you at a later date. But we don’t want to be late, do we?”

His uncle grinned widely at Mark’s mother and the resemblance between them was almost ridiculous. They both had the same shaped faces, the same button nose, the same shade of honey colored hair, the same height, the same clear complexion, and so much more. Never did Mark think fraternal twins had looked so much alike.

“Nonsense,” his uncle said, settling a hand on the top of Mark’s head. “An introduction is something that happens only once, and it should be special for Mark. So tell me, Mark, what would you like as a gift?”

Gruffly, his father said, “Gifts are not the point of an introduction.”

“Neither are they the point of Christmas, but they’re still the highlight.”

Mark’s father drew himself up, which mean a fight was likely coming, it almost always did when the two men were together, but then his mother cut in skillfully and said, “There’s Grace. Grace, peach, you’re running late.”

Mark’s eyes drifted to his sister coming down the stairs, one hand on the banister. She took careful steps in her heels, looking every bit like the royalty she was.

While his parents flocked to her side, complimenting her on how she looked, Mark felt his uncle lean down and press his mouth near his ear, whispering, “There’s a surprise waiting for you outside.”

“Uncle,” Mark eased out, trying not to flush at their proximity. “I’m not supposed to go outside.”

Mark could almost feel his uncle roll his eyes as he said, “You know you and your home are under my protection.”

More like his mother’s protection, but Mark understood. The men that patrolled the grounds, checked and double checked the house each hour, and were attentive to any problem, were undeniably reliable. They’d never let anything happen. There hadn’t been a breech in security the entire time Mark had been alive. At least not on the property. He could wander our anywhere on the property and be under their watchful gaze.

“My parents won’t want me to,” Mark found himself saying. At least not with them gone and unable to sweep in at even the slightest chance of danger.

His uncle nudged him playfully. “You’re a teenager, Mark. Live a little. Your sister will hardly notice if you attend to your present. Which, I might add, is waiting very patiently near the car garage. Who knows how long this present’s patience will last, however.”

His uncle’s words were something to chew on. Tammy likely wouldn’t miss him, not for a second, if she even bothered to check on him at all. And his uncle was eluding to his present being a person, which meant that if they were on the property, they weren’t a threat to his life.

“We’re leaving now, darling,” his mother said. She took him by he shoulders and pressed a kiss to each of his cheeks, then his forehead. He was getting too old for her open displays of affection, but because she was so very important to him, he allowed it. “Please behave yourself. We may not be back for a while.”

A little alarmed, Mark asked, “Before sunrise, right?”

“Before sunrise, darling.”

His father gave him a warning look as their group left. Mark recognized it all too well, and it was almost enough to stave off all thoughts of whatever present his uncle had for him.

Almost.

To his credit, Mark waited until the car they’d left in, the one that had been parked right out front the door, was long gone and the taillights were only a distant memory. Then he waited and listened for the sound of his brother still playing his game and his sister talking on what had to be the phone.

And then, after pacing a bit, panicking for a moment, and almost bailing completely, Mark made the executive decision to take his uncle’s advice and live for a moment.

It wasn’t hard to leave the house. It wasn’t difficult in the least bit. And even though he could feel eyes on him the second he stepped out through the front door, he ignored everything. His family’s security wouldn’t dare approach him without there being significant cause to.

It was a quick run to the car garage where his father kept the automobiles he’d collected over the decades, a show of opulence that his father didn’t normally engage in. His mother said his father was nostalgic to a fault, and sometimes Mark believed her.

“Psst!”

Mark skidded to a stop.

“Over here!”

The moment Mark’s eyes settled on the figure making the sound, his eyes widened and he felt the same rush of pleasure that he had with his uncle.

“Henry!”

Mark threw himself at his cousin and was caught easily, pulled off his feet and enveloped in a warm hug.

“Henry! You’re here!”

Henry, who was thin but tall, and in possession of blond colored hair as opposed to his usual brunet, was Mark’s absolute favor cousin. His uncle’s only child, his cousin Henry was fun and energetic and had invited him to be a playmate since they’d been children, despite the four year difference between them.

“You’re my present?” Mark inquired, an arm still hanging around Henry’s neck. It didn’t feel odd at all to be intimate with the person who’d been his best friend growing up. At least until the rift between Mark’s father and uncle had grown so severe that his uncle had moved himself and Henry far, far away. The cover story was that they’d left on business, but the one and only time Mark had heard his parents fight, it had been over the move. His mother blamed his father, and she hadn’t spoken to him for almost a week. His father had gone away on a work trip and his mother had pruned nearly the whole estate before they’d even begun inching their way back to each other.

“Not even!” a new voice called out, and suddenly Mark was hugging someone new.

“Amber!” he laughed out. “You’re here too?”

If Mark adored Henry, he absolutely loved Amber. Amber was twice the fun Henry was, the first to jump into a new experience or suggest a wild adventure, and also the first to take the blame if it went terribly wrong. She was strong and upfront and when she got herself all dolled up, once a year or so for the annual Christmas party, she was so breathtakingly gorgeous that she maybe even looked more beautiful than Mark’s mother.

Henry and Amber had been in love for as long as Mark could remember, and were a gentle and important reminder to Mark that arranged matches could work. Of course there were a dozen examples of matches going horribly wrong, but Henry and Amber were a more modern example of it working, and it gave Mark some hope.

It wasn’t all that uncommon, in the circles they traveled in, to have arranged matches. And in fact Mark’s eldest sister was set to be married in only a few years, and she hadn’t chosen her match. The same would likely be for Tammy, if only to preserve their bloodline from things that Mark heard his uncle often call impurities.

His mother had promised him, absolutely sworn to him, that he wouldn’t face the same lack of autonomy, but Mark didn’t quite believe her. There was a good chance he’d end up being matched before he even realized what was happening, maybe even at his introduction. If he got lucky, and got stuck in a match, he might know the person he was supposed to marry. They might have a friendship of sorts already, and it would make the intimacy that followed easier. Mark couldn’t imagine giving himself to a stranger.

“Earth to Mark,” Amber called out, knocking her knuckles against the side of Mark’s head. “You okay in there?”

“Just thinking,” he eased out with a grin. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Summer vacation,” Henry said easily, leaning back on what Mark saw was a car that didn’t belong to his family. Henry noticed and asked, “Like it? My father got it for me. Everyone loves a little bribery.”

Mark circled the car, noting the sleek lines and comfortable looking interior. It must have cost a pretty penny. “Bribery for what?”

It was Amber who answered, jumping up on the hood to have a seat. “Good grades. Good behavior. Taking care of you. Take your pick.”

“Me?” Mark wondered.

“Anyway,” Henry said, twirling the car keys around a finger, “like I said, summer vacation. I knew father was coming here, to see Auntie and Uncle, and I wanted to see you. It’s been about a year now, hasn’t it? It’s hard to go so long without seeing my favorite cousin.” Henry twirled the keys a few more times, then tossed them unexpectedly to Mark.

“Hey!” He fumbled the keys for a moment, then caught them awkwardly.

“Want to take the car out for a spin? You can drive.”

“Drive!” Mark’s eyes bulged. “I only just got my permit, and that took ages of begging. My parents think I’m going to end up in a car wreck or something. They never let me drive.”

“I’m not your parents,” Henry said, holding a hand out to Amber to help her off the car. “And you know it’d take a lot more than that to kill us. So, what do you say?”

Mark clutched the keys in his palm. “I’m not supposed to leave the estate. I’m not even supposed to be outside right now. My parents don’t like it when they aren’t here.”

Henry gave him a long, withered look. “I know Auntie and Uncle are very overprotective of you, but you know this area is safe. You know we’re in a safe zone. Nothing is going to happen, other than us getting the wind in our hair for a little and maybe some awesome ice cream.”

Mark tried to pride himself on following the rules and not getting into trouble. His mother and father couldn’t afford to raise children who couldn’t be respectful and diligent. And Mark knew the consequences of being even a little mischievous. He wasn’t like Henry who could bend the rules, or Amber who could break them. He was Mark.

He was also tired of being that way.

“We can’t be gone for long,” Mark said, and Henry gave a whoop and shout of victory. “My parents are going to be back before sunrise. Maybe just an hour or two, okay?”

Amber cheered victory and popped the trunk.

Frowning, Mark asked, “What’s that for?”

Henry laughed and stated, you know we have to sneak you out. Now get in. we’ll let you out the second we clear the property. Time’s wasting, cousin.”

They ended up driving down the highway with the top down on the car. At first Mark had been absolutely terrified to even push the car to half its limit, but eventually he’d loosened up, and was thoroughly enjoying himself.

He put one hand out to the side, feeling the wind cut through his fingers sharply, almost giving him the sensation of flight.

After a quick glance in his rearview, he called out, “Are you two just going to make out back there!”

It wasn’t actually bothering him, seeing nothing but their kissing faces. In fact, it only made him happier. He couldn’t wait for their wedding next year, and all the adorable children that they’d eventually have. It made Mark happy to see Henry so in love, especially with someone like Amber who was so good for him.

“Don’t be jealous,” Amber said, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to the side of Mark’s head. “I’ll kiss you, too.”

Mark felt heat flash across his face. That wasn’t the kind of kiss he’d been dreaming about lately, and certainly not from Amber, no matter how attractive she was. No, he’d been dreaming about someone entirely new for himself, of his own choosing, who’d smile at him like there was no one else in the world, and want to hold his hand in public, and care about him the way Amber cared about Henry.

“Pull off here!” Henry called out, startling Mark a little. “Ice cream!”

It was amazing what getting a couple scoops of ice cream, and then driving to a deserted stretch of road could do for Mark. He felt freer than he had in months, and as he ate his cone, staring up at the stars above him, he felt revitalized in a way.

“I’ve never done this before,” Henry said, laying next to Mark, Amber on his other side. The three of them took up the entire space of the car’s hood, still warm from the engine.

“Laid around and done nothing?” Mark asked in jest. “I hardly doubt that.”

Henry gave him a poke to he side. “No, I mean I’ve never just looked up at the stars before. I’ve never just looked at them. How weird is that?”

Mark’s eyes flitted between constellations, some he knew and others he didn’t. Some stars were brighter than others, but all of them were brilliant. “I don’t think it’s weird. I don’t remember the last time I did this. Not since I was a kid.”

Amber volunteered, “It’s kind of hypnotic.”

In a way, Mark supposed it was.

They watched the stars in silence for a while more, time passing in the blink of an eye for them.

“Henry,” Mark asked eventually, sitting up and pulling his knees towards his chest. “Why did your father come? Where did our parents go tonight? Grace went with them so it had to be something important.”

“I know,” Henry said with an easy shrug, an arm wrapped around Amber. “But I’m not supposed to tell you.”

Indignantly, Mark protested, “Why not? Because I haven’t been introduced yet?”

“Partly,” Henry shrugged. “Technically, you’re still a child. At least in the eyes of the council, and you know that means you don’t get to know anything.”

“Partly?”

“All right,” Amber said, cutting into their conversation smoothly. “It’s getting late. Henry, you know we can’t keep Mark out so late. Sunrise is in less than an hour.”

“What!” Mark’s eyes snapped to the watch the wore on his wrist, last year’s birthday present from Joey. “How’d it get so late! My parents are going to kill me if they beat me back!”

The drive back seemed to take forever, especially as Mark’s nerves were too wrecked for him to even think about driving. Instead he was confined to the back seat where his leg bounced idly, desperately wishing Henry would drive faster.

“Calm down,” Henry advised, taking the last corner before Mark could see his home. “You know if your parents were already home they’d be blaming my father right away for orchestrating all this, and they’d be blowing up my phone and yours. You’re in the clear. Stop worrying. Stop--”

Mark jerked forward as Henry slammed on the breaks, the car skidding loudly across the asphalt.

“What the heck are you doing!” Mark demanded, feeling woozy from the sudden stop.

“Oh, god,” Amber said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“What?” Mark demanded. “Are you okay?”

“Your house,” Henry said, voice shaking. “Mark. Your house.”

When Mark finally looked, the house clear through the break in the road, all he could see was red.

Red flames.

He barely remembered what came after. Only that he’d been screaming, yelling and crying. He’d roared in pain and anguish until his throat went numb from pain. And then there was running. He’d been running, dashing towards death, stumbling past bodies and blood and destruction.

All to get to the house. To his family. To Tammy who always seemed to care more about her boyfriend than her siblings, but who was the first tone to stay up with him when he wasn’t feeling good and rub his back all through the night. And Joey, who acted like Mark wasn’t cool enough to be seen with in public, but still asked his opinion on everything and sought his approval far more than their father’s.

“Mark!” Henry screamed from behind him.

And when Mark was just close enough to feel the searing pain from the fire, Henry tackled him, taking them both down to the ground.

“Get off me!” Mark was screaming, then he was fighting. He was biting and clawing and kicking and doing everything in his power to get the weight off him. To get up and get to the house.

Henry rolled more fully on him, shouting loudly, “Stop! You have to stop!”

How could he have left? How could he have been so selfish as to leave and make his family vulnerable?

“Please,” someone called out, and this time it was Amber, helping to press him down against the earth. “They’re … gone. It’s too late. You can’t go in! You’ll die if you do!”

“They’re not dead!”

With a burst of strength Mark threw them both off him and lunged one last time for the burning remains of his house.

Henry slammed into him again, just in time. He held Mark tight with every bit of strength he had in his body and promised into his ear, “I won’t let you die. I won’t let anything happen to you. I’m here. You’re okay.”

“My family,” Mark choked out, tears quickly surfacing. “Joey and Tammy.”

“Sleep,” Henry said, his hand across Mark’s forehead. “Sleep.”

Mark felt the unnatural push into unconsciousness, and then nothing else.

When he did wake next, slowly and feeling like he was broken, it was to Amber’s empathetic face and a cool compress to his forehead.

“Mark?” she asked quietly, the room almost pitch black. “Are you--”

“Don’t ask me if I’m okay,” he told her flatly. The sight of his burning house seemed seared into his retina, along with the scattered, dead bodies of the people expected to protect his family. “I’m not okay.”

“I know,” she returned gently, dabbing at his forehead. “I know.”

He stared up at the ceiling, wondering if anything would ever be okay again. How would he recover from such a loss? How would his parents?

“Amber?” he ventured, his hand searching for hers until their fingers were linked. “Has someone told my parents? Do they know?”

The lingering silence told Mark something horrible, he just didn’t know what.

The door to the room he was in, whomever’s it belonged to, opened softly and closed just as quietly.

“Henry,” he heard Amber say, and then he lost his grip on her hand as she turned to Henry, stood, and then hugged him tightly. “You shouldn’t be here. You should be with your father … just in case.”

“No,” Henry said, voice sounding heavy like Mark felt. “I need to be the one … I have to tell Mark. Before he finds out from anyone else.”

“Do you think now is the time?” she asked.

“Tell me what?” Mark asked, worn and weary. What could possibly be worse?

“Mark.” Henry slid slowly into Amber’s chair, leaning forward to take his hand. “I have to tell you something. I have to …”

“Where are my parents?” Mark asked.

Instead of responding to the question, Henry posed, “Do you remember yesterday when you asked me if I knew where our parents had gone?”

Yesterday? Had it been a day already?

“There was a council meeting,” Henry said, bowing forward. “An emergency session, actually. Your parents didn’t want to alarm you, but there’s been a couple of attacks by known human anti-vampire activists on specifically targeted families. Council families. The royal ones. Our parents were going to discuss something incredibly vital to the continued vampire and human peace treaty.”

Mark could feel his own fangs brush against his bottom lip as he questioned, “Why hide it?”

Henry reached out to dip his fingers into Mark’s hair. “Because all thirteen families were to have their representatives present at the meeting, and a good deal of first heirs were going to be there. That’s why your sister went. They were talking about a vote, that’s what I know on the content of the meeting. A vote about the treaty.”

“Those other attacks,” Mark barely managed. “And the people who hurt my brother and sister … were they done by the same people?”

Henry nodded slowly. “And they’re the same people who … who ….”

“Damnit, Henry,” Amber pleaded. “Don’t tell him this now.”

“Tell me,” Mark urged.

Henry held out for a minute, then bent over Mark, hugging him tightly. At a whisper, he said “There’s a mole in our ranks. Those human bastards knew about the meeting. They hit us, Mark. They hit the families and then they hit the council. And there were casualties.”

One last breathe caught in Mark’s throat as he pushed Henry away. The man let him. And then Mark his side, gathering up the blankets on the bed and tugging them around him.

There’d be only one reason his parents weren’t with him.

“Are they all dead? The council members and the heirs?”

Henry blew out what seemed to be a long breath of relief. “Thankfully, no. There was some security there, and they took the brunt of the violence to protect the more valuable members. We’d be in a lot of trouble if that weren’t the case.”

“But?” Mark prompted, feeling his sanity fray.

Henry choked out, “But there were five casualties. Your parents and, I’m so sorry, Mark, Grace were three of them. Plus two others.”

So everyone was dead then. Both his parents, his two sisters, and his brother. All dead. Gone in an instant, like they’d never existed in the first place. While he lived on, a byproduct of luck and coincidence, surviving only because of his selfishness and want to spend time with friends.

Amber added, “Henry’s father was hurt badly. We’re not even sure if he’ll …”

Mark clenched his eyes shut and thought of how joyful his uncle had seemed a day ago, wrapping him up in a big hug, promising him presents for his introduction. Would he be taken as well? “I’m sorry, Henry.”

“I don’t know how this happened,” Henry sobbed out, sliding onto the bed behind Mark. He wrapped an arm around Mark’s stomach and pressed them together. “I don’t know how this could have happened.”

Alone. Mark was alone now. And the word had never seemed so lonely before.

“But I promise,” Henry continued, his arm tightening around Mark. “I won’t let anything happen to you. I’ve got you, cousin.”

Where would he go now? What would he do?

“I’m tired.”

“Henry,” Amber tried again. “We should let him rest. In peace.”

Mark added, “I want to be alone.” He had to get used to the idea, didn’t he? Alone was the only thing he could see in his future.

“I hate the humans who did this to us,” Henry hissed, his mouth close to Mark’s ear, maybe so Amber couldn’t hear properly. “And I will kill them for what they’ve done. All of them.”

It was just talk, Mark was confident. Henry wouldn’t be killing anyone, not even the people who’d murdered their friends and family. They couldn’t break the treaty. They couldn’t injure humans even for revenge, not without potentially sparking a second human and vampire conflict. The first had nearly ended vampires completely, not to mention the hit the human population had taken. No one wanted that again. No one wanted the slaughter of innocents on either side.

It was possible there was nothing that could actually be done for the thirst of revenge. That hurt more than the thought of being alone.

“Let him rest alone,” Amber said, and a second later Mark felt a weight lifting away from the bed.

Only to have a kiss pressed to the top of his head, just like his mother had done right before leaving.

“We have each other,” Henry said, “so we’ll be okay. No matter how much it hurts right now. And we’ll have our revenge. Sleep with that thought, and have good dreams.”

More than anything, Mark didn’t want revenge.

He just wanted his family back.