Chasing the Light

EXODUS

    Baekhyun had always hated the dark. He hated the way it twisted itself into the smallest gaps in the light. He hated the way it hid things, it simply had too many secrets.

    That is why is may seem counterintuitive for him to be walking the streets at night. He wouldn’t be doing something so painful if he felt like he had a choice; but somehow if felt like someone was pressing a knife to his back. An unidentified force was killing the inhabitants of Earth. Killing might not have been the right word; perhaps disintegrating would have fit better. And to him the force wasn’t truly “unidentified”. He knew what it was, but he didn’t know why he knew.  

    He had seen it in his dreams; or perhaps his memories. There was an abyss ready to seep into every corner of this place called Earth, and he didn’t like it. It felt like they were in the middle of the end. He shuddered as he felt a peculiar chill run down his spine. Sharply, he his heels in an attempt to catch the cause of his fear, but he saw nothing except for the grim walls of of the alleyway and the cold pave stones. How could it be nothing? His instincts were uncanny; he hadn't been wrong before. 

 

    Warily he continued to make his way through a cool stone building, almost certain that he was being followed. ‘It’s not your job to be followed, Baekhyun.’ He reminded himself grimly as he forced his way up the stairs. His job involved being everywhere all at once, to solve everyones problems, to shed some light on every situation. He heard a slight crackle in his earpiece, and listened intently for a voice on the other side. Nobody - with the exception of himself - operates this late at night. It’s not safe enough. 

    He slowed himself to a stop and suddenly static erupted through the piece. Hastily he pulled his ear free of the torture, wondering if perhaps his comrades were attempting to mess with him. ‘They know better than that,’ He frowned as he contemplated the situation.

    No.

    It was something else. It was something dangerous. 

    

    He felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and frantically fished for the device, he had a message. Adrenaline began to pump it’s way throughout his body and he felt himself enter a state of fight or flight. Fight what? 

    Baekhyun’s breathe hitched in his throat as he felt the light behind him flick off.

    He knew what he was flying from now. 

    ‘Mama.

    

    He ran as fast as he could, looking back to try and catch sight of what was turning off the lights. Lost in the darkness, chasing the light, he couldn’t tell if his heart was beating anymore. The darkness crept up on him, never letting him get out of reach. He had to get away. Baekhyun’s hands grasped the black bars of the gates desperately, and he pushed and pulled in a futile attempt to escape. Any other day the gates would have opened almost too easily. Any other day he would have made it back to his room and slept until the sun came back for him.     

    The sun wasn’t coming back. 

    

    He breathed heavily as he pressed his back against the gate. “Please,” He mouthed silently, his body recoiling against the dark, “let there be light.”

 

    And then... there was light.