Edinburgh

EXODUS

    Xiumin danced through the cold nighttime streets of Berlin, his music making him forget about his migraine. His keys jingled as he twirled them in his hand, walking a wobbly line towards the complex that housed his apartment and he sighed as he unlocked the door, the warmth of the building hitting him full force. Xiumin didn’t mind that the temperature hadn’t yet acknowledge the fact it should have been summer - and therefore not below ten degrees celsius. For some reason he liked the cool air and he admired the patterns the morning frost would make on the walls of his  apartment. He pulled off his furry hat and played with the volume on his headphones before continuing his journey up to his room. He hadn’t lived in such a populated place for so long, so he was thankful that there were hardly ever any people around after the sun went down - not that many people lived in his complex anyway. The walls endorsed all sorts of graffiti and people didn’t tend to take to graffiti. 

    Suddenly Xiumin’s body collided with another body and he looked up just in time to dodge a lazy swing in his direction. Xiumin stumbled away from the man, blinking in surprise at his own reaction speed as well as the man’s hostility. As he watched the stranger walk away Xiumin fixed his headphones tighter over his ears; noting the return of his headache. 

 

    The television was still on when Xiumin finally made it to his room. He slumped down onto the couch, pulled his music away from his ears and picked up that morning’s half empty glass of water. He didn’t notice the metal spinning top twirling in circles on his floorboards - or perhaps a part of him chose to ignore it. The memories of the man’s time in the maze had been long forgotten and his subconscious seemed determined to keep it that way. 

 

    Xiumin almost didn’t think anything strange of the high pitched hum resonating from the television, until he sat up to look closer. For a split second he couldn't make out the images as they flickered on the screen; ‘A wolf?’ He squinted as he moved closer, unable to shake the feeling that he was meant to see these things, he was meant to understand them. ‘Edinburgh…’  He pondered as his hand instinctively reached for the screen. 

    When the palm of his hand pressed against the cold glass he felt something inside him shift. The hoax memories that had been created to fill in the blank spaces of his past began to blur into non-existence and new memories began to weave their way into existence. “New memories of old memories,” Xiumin whispered as he stared back at the wolf on the screen, now understanding the message behind it. “I’m coming,” He promised as he placed his glass cup onto the table with more force than necessary. He could feel the water crystallise as he ran out the door but he didn’t mind.

 

   They were in trouble.