Watched

EXODUS

  

 Kai could feel something following him as he walked through the busy streets of London. He glanced over his shoulder cautiously as he felt his steps instinctively grow faster. ‘I don’t see anyone,’ He mused as panic began to manifest within his chest. He had no doubt that he was being followed - someone or something had been keeping an eye on him ever since he had left the house that morning, or maybe even before that. 

    The handsome man shrugged frustratedly as he ran up the stairs leading towards his apartment complex, finally free of the crowd, but not of the ominous feeling of being watched. He furrowed his brow as he looked over his shoulder once more; 'There’s really no one there.’

    

    Kai rushed up the stairs to his apartment taking two steps at a time, but he didn’t stop at the fourth floor where he normally would have. He kept running until he had reached the heavy metal door that lead to the roof. His heart was pounding and his head felt like it was just a few seconds from imploding as he forced the door open and lulled towards the edge of the roof. He couldn’t recall when he had started to feel so trapped within his own skin; so anxious to get away. He felt like a part of him was missing - as if there was something he should be doing. Perhaps it had started when he'd noticed that he was being stalked? ‘No, it was before that, I’ve felt this way for months.’

 

    He jumped in surprise as his phone alerted him to a new message but as he pulled the device from his pocket his vision began to blur - the world before him being swallowed by pictures of memories he didn’t recognise as his own.

    He watched himself stand at the entrance of a maze, but before he could make and sense of the memory it was replaced with the image of a man reaching for a box that was seemingly unaffected by gravity, sand began to fall and then the picture zoomed out to a greater view of the maze, the walls structured as hexagons. The last picture showed a familiar man staring into a light, unfazed by the intense brightness contrasting with the black space around him. When Kai thought his brain could take no more the memories faded into darkness just as quickly as they had appeared. He knew the memories couldn't have been his, but he also knew they were real. Mama.

    He blinked himself back into the real world and turned to face the London Eye, his headache getting only more intense with every passing second. He did have somewhere to go, there were people that he needed to find - but he didn’t know how to get to them. He should feel the little time left closing in around him. He had to go. He had to find them before it was too late.

    

    And just like that; Kai disappeared.