You Win

Tons of Love

"Hello everyone, how are you? Today is a brand new day with Park Min Jung. Let's forget what had happened yesterday and try to move on! Keep everything good from the past and make it as a good memory for the future." I started the counseling radio. "Today is a good day, right? The sun shines brightly, it's a nice weather to go out! Come on, why would you still sit there and send me your problems in this nice day?! Ah, but it doesn't matter, since I'm a counselor. Yeah, an unprofessional counselor. Even though I'm really welcome to your messages, your problems, and else, but don't you think today is a nice day to go out with your family, hang out with your friends? You should spend your time to do those things, instead of complaining and regretting many things to me. Well, actually I'm just telling you guys to go out and have some fun. I'm not wrong, am I? Just don't take it seriously, I'm not mad at you who just sent me messages. I'm okay, and honestly feel thankful because I know some of you are there to accompany me in my loneliness right now."

I looked at the script that I made yesterday. "So let's hear the first problem; came from user jh48. She said, I just broke up with my boyfriend. Actually my family didn't support me, they thought my ex-boyfriend isn't smart enough, isn't kind enough, isn't wise enough and he doesn't match with me. But basically those were just excuses. They against me dating at the first place. Especially my dad. He said I should focus on my study, he wants me to get a scholarship. It's really hard. I wanted to show him that I could take care of that as I continue to fight with this relationship with my boyfriend. I just want him to know that he has a capable daughter who could do anything if I want to. But the reality didn't go as what I expected. Lately, before we broke up, we had some fights over little things. I think he's immature; every words he said were just words, he didn't mean it. He knew that our relationship is tough, my life is hard enough, same with him.


He knew what I don't like about him, but he doesn't want -or maybe doesn't know how- to fix it. It made me sometimes throw a tantrum at him, it made me angry sometimes. Unfortunately, yesterday was the peak of my period. I can't help but get mad at him easily. I lost control, I said to him "why don't we break up?" like that on our chat. Then unexpectedly he agreed. "Okay, let's do that for our sake.", he said calmly. After that, he told me that I have a short temper. We really broke up. However, I felt empty all of sudden. I didn't know what to do and felt dizzy. Then I tried to text him again, I asked him to reconcile, back again as a couple we used to be, and said that I was out of my mind, didn't really mean those words. But he refused to, he said I was too late to regret. We have nothing else to fight for. After a while, I realized I was so stupid. Not because I decided to break up with him, but because I asked him for getting back together. I should admit that I still love him, and didn't expect to love him this much at the same time. Even though we've broken up, he kept contact me through chats with his sweet words and else, he was trying to be okay. And it's really painful to me. I don't know what to do, how to forget, how to move on, because he was the first one who appeared on my mind when the sun rises and the last one who appeared on my mind when the sun sets."

"Guess you can't help but being sad then cry," I acknowledged the problem and thought really hard to give an advice. "You can't really tell your dad about this, even though you have to do it later because I'm sure your dad has to know about your condition and status too. I suggest you to tell him later, after you've calmed down yourself. Somehow I think I understand the problem, but I don't really know how to give you advices. Well..., I don't think it's stupid to ask him for reconcile. But if you were begging him, it does sound like you're the one who loved him so much. I mean, don't you think in a relationship, both of parties have to fight together? You're not doing that relationship alone, right? So don't beg. If he doesn't want it anymore, stop it. Don't beg. He'll get irritated and you'll lose your pride. Okay, maybe that's alright for you to lose your pride, as I know some people think like that when they're with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Even though I believe that love is blind, you have to think about other people who will see yourself as a crazy, cheap girl. Don't you think so? I know it seems so hard to even forget him completely when you do remember every little thing related to him. Because the love you gave to him was real, so it hurts. I didn't mean to say that he didn't give you the real one. But if he really feels the same way, shouldn't he fight over your relationship too? If someone really loves a person, she or he will hardly forget that person because a real love starts with an unforgettable one. So it'll end up with hurtful memories, because you can't forget the real love. The fact that he gives up so easily, it makes me think that he wants to break up with you more than you do."

Actually I was afraid to break her heart again. But she chose to send me this message, doesn't it mean she wants to know my opinion on her problem? I believe sometimes something harsh or hurtful will make you even stronger than before. So she should be ready when I told her those hurtful things. She has to face the reality. Everyone has to.

"The only way to get out from this pathetic life is to forget and move on. If you want to forget and move on, you need the right timing and you have to have the willing to move on. It's hard, difficult. But no one ever told you that moving on is easy. Everybody have their own way to move on. And you should to. Some people just manage to calm down and they don't meet ever after. Even if they suddenly meet in the street by coincidence, they don't greet each other. Yeah, some people have some strict rules and agreements like that. But another people just do it nicely and peacefully like..., they said sorry then just act like friends they used to be.

However I'm sure the second way is more hurtful than the first way. You can't be friends when you once be their lover and broke up. If you still insist to do this way, one of you will be hurt. You can't act fine without getting hurt when you know you're not fine. Once a lover being friends, it means they pretend to be fine. For the other way, it's an erasing method. You have to erase your memories with him. Burn all of the photos and gifts from him. No matter what it is, if it makes you sad and unhappy, then erase it. It's not gonna be easy, you have to patiently wait until the time for forgetting him is really right. Then finally one day you will face the day when you realize you've completely forgotten him and his sweet memories."

I moved to the second question when suddenly my phone rang. "Hello, this is Park Min Jung from counseling radio station. It's on air right now, who is this?" I greeted first.

"Hello, this is Jung Si Hwan. I'm a doctor, I have quite a lot of patients each day because hospital never be so quiet without any patients. I'm 25 years old. I have-no. I had a girlfriend, but we broke up. The only reason is we didn't have much time to meet. She thinks every couple at least has to meet once a week, on weekends. But in our case, we didn't even have a match time once in a week on weekend. Okay, I admit that I'm too busy and I sometimes don't go home on weekends that's why we hardly met. She said I didn't care, I didn't pay attention to her, and else. But it's not like that, I love my job and I love her too at the same time. Can't I do that? Can't she understand me? Ugh. But since our relationship has ended just like that, I'm not sure it's useless or not to tell my story like this to you. Guess I just give another burden to you."

"No, it's not a burden at all," I said after I listened to his story. "But well, since you've broken up with her, maybe my advices won't do something better with it. You..., just have stop blaming yourself. If your job is your dream and your girlfriend can't understand that, then of course you should break up with her. The purpose of having a girlfriend is to have someone who will support what you do as long as it's not a bad thing. She should understand that your job is to build your and her future together when both of you have become a married couple. But I do also think that you should manage your time well. You have to realize that you have a girlfriend, don't only focus on your job. No girls ever want to be second. They want to be the priority, the first. Even though you're busy, no matter how busy you are, next time make sure that you text her first at least three times a day. Greet her first, do skinship if she wants, smile at her more often, send sweet words for her or a bouquet flower with short message every weekend I think would be better. I'm sure those things will cheer her up and make her day.

Just don't do your mistakes twice. Once is enough. She will think that you're really stupid if you don't want to change your bad points. I know, there's no one perfect in this world. But at least you must fix your mistakes if you know how to fix it. Even if it takes years or even forever, you have to try it. Because being in the same or static condition is not always good for human. Every people needs changes. The world changes, so do you. Face the new beginning, show off at her, and start all over again. Well..., it's my opinion though. You may and may not do it. That's up to you. Because I can't make you trust me and my words if you don't want to."

"But..., I'm not sure what to do with this and that. You know, losing someone like her, I mean your girlfriend, who stayed with you almost 24/7 even if it's just through chats and phone calls, is really strange. I felt a weird feeling. She even turned me into a good listener all this time, I almost remember every words she said about her broken family, her annoying friends, her favorite books that have sold out because she forgot to buy it. Even her favorite brands, I remember it all! And for weeks forward, I'm sure I couldn't hear those complains anymore. Even maybe just her voice, I won't hear that anymore. Doesn't it feel weird? She was the one who accompany me all this time and suddenly she's gone."

"Hmm..," I murmured. "Yeah, that's right. It looks like you missed some part of you, right? Like you missed something important in your life but you don't know how to -and maybe can't- regain it somehow. But if you regret your decision, then will you get her back? No, right? Regretting something will only make you feel worse. Cheer up, Mister Jung. I know being a doctor is really tiring. You can't have a rest because no one knows who will get sick and visit you today. However, I see it as an opportunity to rest for a while, settle your mind and prepare for the better. I think God is testing you whether you could or could not manage your time between work and your personal life. It's an important task for you to do in the future. Don't you think so?"

"Ah, you're right. Thank you, Miss Park. I will learn a lot from your advices."

By the time the phone call ended, Min Ji called my name.

"Min Jungie!!"

"Yes, Unnie!"

I hurriedly did the closing and turned off the radio.

"What's wrong?" I asked Min Ji as soon as I faced her.

"Oh, please help me to send those gifts to the winner of the competition. You may see their addresses on my desk. Is that okay? You have nothing to do, right?"

"Eh? I thought you would send them through TIKI?"

"No, it's cheaper to do it by ourselves, right?" She grinned and put her shoes on. "I gotta go to the groceries. Please take care of these, okay? Thank you, I love you so much!"