Chapter 04: Thank You

Our Song

I went straight to the 2nd floor when I reached the studio. On the lobby in front of the practicing room, I couldn’t find Luna-ssi everywhere and as I took a peek inside, I saw Onew oppa was not around too. So I guessed both of them already left which meant the practice time already over.

I tapped the glass wall like usual.

She then turned her head to me, waved and to my surprise, continued to talk with his band mates. I tapped again, she turned again and I pointed my watch suggesting that this is our time to go, but to my surprised again, she waved her hand gesturing for me to come inside. Hesitantly, I opened the studio door and went inside.

“Krystal-ssiiiiiiii, long time no see. OMG, it rhymes! I’m such a genius.”

I gave Key oppa an awkward smile. No wonder Amber turned weird if her friends are guys like this.

“Come here Krys, help us with something first before we leave, yeah?” Amber wrapped her hand around me which made my face turned hot but I kept it cool.

“What? Do you guys have a math homework or what? I could totally help you guys if that’s the case.”

“The last math homework I got was four years ago, Soojung-i. But nice try, if my nephew ever gets trouble with his homework I’ll sure bring it to you.” I put out my tounge to him. Poor kid to have JongHyun oppa as uncle.

“Look, we decided to do a cover for our next performance. Could you give us an idea for a perfect song?”

What?? I just couldn’t believe the things I just heard. Did she just ask me to choose a perfect song for the band? Did she jusk ask me while when I asked her to pick OUR song she said it wasn’t even necessary. She basically told me that was a silly idea. But now...

“Have you lost your mind?!” That was the only words that came out of my lips. Everyone in the studio froze, including Amber.

As I didn’t know what to say anymore, I just walked of to the door.

“She is definitely gonna slam that door dude.” I heard Key oppa said behind me as I opened the studio door and yes, I did slam it hard. I went straight downstair, got out of the building and tried to get a cab.

“Krys! Krys! Wait!” I heard a voice from my behind. The voice I usually eager to hear but I didn’t even bother to turn my head this time. I really wish I had a cab right now.

Right when I was just lifting my hand to stop an approaching cab, Amber grabbed my hand from behind made me missed the cab.

“What’s wrong with you, eh, Krys?”

“Me? It’s you! You, what’s wrong?!” Lucky for us the street was a bit quite that no one would really notice us having a fight here.

“Me? What did I do wrong?”

“A self-centered like you wouldn’t know when you do something wrong, would you??”

“Self-centered? Me? Well, you are the first person to say that to me honestly. Would you tell me which part of me that reflects self-centered?” Gosh, how could she be so calm like this?

“You always think your business is more important than mine. You always choose your band over, you....” I kept blabbering about anything. I can see her dropped jaw from hearing my long, unnecessary, and unbase statetement.

“.... And just now how you dare aske me to pick a song for your band??” Finally I said the, actually, only thing made me lose control. The thing that I was actually deny to even admit so I made things up about how Amber is.

“Oh my God! Of course it’s all about that song!” Finally after a long moment of jaw drop, Amber made a conclusion herself.

“It’s not just-“

“Come here, let me take you something nicer and let me explain everything.”

“No, I don’t-“ She grabbed my hand and I fully aware I wouldn’t be able to fight her strenght so I let her dragged me to her car.

The whole ride was in silence. Amber didn’t even turn on the music, which usually would be the first thing she does everytime we entered the car. The only noise heard was tapping sound of Amber’s fingers on the steering wheel. We drove for 20 minutes more or less then we stopped at the cute restaurant we visited days ago.

“So you want to order first or we talk first?” I can’t believe she really came here to eat. Sometimes it was just too hard to understand what’s going on on her mind. I didn’t answer.

“Oookay, I take that as ‘lets talk first’.” She then put away the menu. The next thing she did was grabing for her jeans back pocket and pulled out a piece of paper.

“Just hear me out, kay?” I gave her a perplexed look.

“Dear Krystal, aka Jung Soo Jung, aka the love of my life...” She was stopped for awhile to see my expression. Small smile formed on her face as I, not gonna lie, flushed a little.

“I’m very sorry if I’m being insensitive these past few days. Sometimes I just forget I’m dating a high schooler, as it’s already years ago I when I became one. I forgot that little things really matter to you. I always try to give all the attention you deserve but sometimes one or two things just simply passed me.”

I couldn’t lie that I felt touched by the thing she was doing in front of me right now. How she prepared the things she couldn't say to me in a piece of paper. How she read it full-heartedly she didn’t even notice this time it was my turn to be jaw-dropped.

“And about the thing you asked me a couple days ago, I’m sorry if I seemed to laugh at you. But no, in fact, since the first day, I’ve been thinking about that. I don’t want ‘Our Song’ to be just a simple song that could belongs to anyone. I even tried to make a new song just for you but that also doesn’t feel right. So if you insisted to choose one, then this is my answer: ”

The next thing she said was very beautiful I even covered my mouth with my hands so I didn’t squeak. I felt so horrible for yelling at her earlier. Ugh, tears please don’t drop.

Our song is the slamming screen door,

Sneaking out late, tapping on my window,

And when we’re on the phone and you talk real slow,

Cause it’s late and your sister don’t know.

Our song is the way you laugh,

Also the first date: ‘Man, I didn’t kiss her when I should have.’

“That’s Krystal Jung, is the only ‘Our Song’ that matters to me.” She folded back the paper, smiling wide at me.

I really couldn’t face her right now. So I was staring at the table instead, with my hand on my forehead. I was just so ashamed of my action earlier. I never knew that she would do something like this.

“Stupid..” was the only answer I could give her after the long lovely speech she made. It seemed I was the only one that’s stupid all this time.

“At least this stupid knows how to write a letter, yeah” She messed up my hair.

“Err, can we start ordering now?” She broke the silence between us. I just nodded slowly and she quickly grabbed the menu and start ordering. I always mesmerized by the way she handles things. Just a moment ago I was thinking this day was gonna be the end of us. But now we were sitting in my favorite restaurant, ready to enjoy our lunch.

“Hey Amber, how came you always put up with me? I know I can be a real brat sometimes.” I asked her straight forward when we started eating.

“Eh, isn’t it obvious? It’s because I love you- Wow, what was that for?” she shocked a little when I suddenly leaned toward her to kiss top of her hair.

“For paying my meal today.” I lied.

“But I always p-“

“Ssst, just enjoy your food, Amber.”

After gave me a short perplexed look, she continued gobble up her lunch. The next moment was a silence. The precious silence we always cherish the most. The silence where I appreciated the person sitting in front of me, thanked God for letting you come in my life. And I thanked you, Amber Josephine Liu, for giving me the best ‘Our Song’ no one could ever give me.