Chapter 03: Late Night Call

Our Song

“But how on earth did you even do that?” I spoke excitedly over my phone.

“Haha, nothing is too hard for me, Princess. A hint: It’s easy for me to make friends with total stranger,” Amber replied to me with the excitement as I was.

“What? That’s more like a trivia of Amber Liu than a hint, you stupid.”

“It was the janitor, SooJung-aaaah.”

Then suddenly it all made sense! That one Mr. Janitor waved to me this morning even I didn’t personally know him. I met him again after school and I swear he giggled when he saw a flower bouquet in my hand.

“Got it, now?” she asked me as I didn’t speak for a moment.

“Got it! You naughty kid, what did you do to the poor Mr. Janitor so he would do such a thing? How did you even know where I was gonna sit today?”

“Wow, wow, you sure ask a lot princess. Couldn’t you just enjoy the beautiful flowers?”

I was just opening my mouth to answer her when I heard the front gate being opened. Pretty much sure that was Jessica as I heard her Audi A4 entered the carport.

“Hello, you there?”

“Ah, sorry Am, my sister just came home. Call you later, yeah?” Without hearing her respond I put away the phone from my ear. I hurriedly came down to the front door.

“Hi, eonni~ How was work?” I asked randomly as I met her on hallway.

“Yah, you know, same old same old,” she said while handled me some paper bags which I guess was our dinner today. I still held my phone on my right hand so I automatically recieved the paper bags only with my left hand and too bad my eonni noticed it.

And then she grabbed my phone.

“Yah, you punk! I know it’s you” Jessica eonni suddenly spoke through my phone.

“Eonni!” I shouted. Ah, I wished Amber already hung up our conversation. Or otherwise...

“She is working on her homeworks right now. Don’t you dare fill her with an empty dream, yeah? .... No, no I know well a gang member like you is just not right for her you know.”

My sister kept talking to the phone which means Amber hadn’t hung up the phone yet. That stupid...

“So I advice yo to-“ I grabbed back the phone as fast as I could and pressed the red button to hang up the call.

“The dinner’s getting cold. We should eat eonni~ Now,” I said as if nothing was wrong.

----------------------------

The dinner went terribly awkward for us. Eonni kept asking me questions but I only answered her with a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ even though the question actually needed a full, long, explanation.

“Yes, eonni, I’m gonna go to my room and finish my homework. Right away,” I said when Jessica eonni called while I was washing the dishes.

“Look, I never meant to tell you how to live your.”

Oh, you sure don’t eonni.

“It’s just I don’t think that she gives you a good influence. She is in a band, for God’s sake. I don’t even think she is your ideal type of guy. Not to mention she’s not even a g-“

“Don’t you ever think you know my ideal type, eonni. You never even bothered to ask.”

“Yes... Yes, maybe I don’t. Sorry. It’s just I need to take a good care of while Umma and Appa are abroad, yeah?”

“I know.” I went to my room after washing the dishes, left my sister alone in the kitchen.

I immediately reached my desk and grabbed books from my bag. I wanted to finish my homework as soon I could then went straight to bed.

I almost finished my homework when I heard my phone ringing. ‘My Stupid Frontman’ was shown as the caller id. I was hesitated for a moment whether to pick it up or not. My sister’s room was only a few meters away from mine, she definitely could tell if I was on phone with Amber. It was already bad enough, things between me and my sister, I didn’t really want to make it worse.

“Hello.” Ah, sorry eonni I just couldn’t choose between you two. You both are precious ones in my life.

“Hi, did I put you into trouble? I’m sorry...” I heard her pleading from the other line.

“Nah, it’s ok. My sister is just being over-protective, that’s all.”

“Are things really ok? I can tell that you’re lowering your voice so much right now.”

“Haha, it’s ok, really. I just don’t want to make a noise. My sister has just came back from work, I don’t wanna bother her. She just needs time to understand that I’m not a little kid anymore, that’s all.” I assured her.

It was kinda hard actually to talk with an almost-whisper voice, especially because Amber loved to make jokes. I had to laugh with a surprised voice, not comfy at all. So after made an appointment to meet tomorrow, we called it a night.

---------------------------

“SooJung-ah! Wait!” I heard Taemin called me when I crossed the yard after school. I stopped and I looked at him, running to my place.

“You’re gonna meet your cool lover, right, Krys?”

“It’s amazing actually how you seem to always know my schedule.” I drew my face to his with a suspicious look.

“I’ve known you since middle school, that’s why.” He answered with a really incoherent thing.

“Anyway, this, take this. Please make Paper and Minds sign this.” Taemin looked at me with his big baby eyes. In my hand there was a CD of Paper And Minds’ latest album.

“But you already have the signed one. I asked them for you a month ago. Don’t you dare saying you lost it.” I gave him a deathly stare.

“N-no! This one’s not for me. It’s for Naeun, for our first month anniversary. ‘Our Song’ was on that CD.”

“Ok, ok. But I only do this for Naeun-ah, okay.”

“Yay! You’re the best Jung Soo Jung!” He shouted and raised his arms up just like a little kid.

“Ah, wait, wait, Soojung-ah!” I rolled my eyes when he called me when I hadn’t even two steps away.

“Did you find yours?”

“What mine?”

“The ‘Our Song’. Did you find it, the one that belongs to you and Frontman-ssi?”

Damn you, Taemin-aaaaah. I tried my best not to think about it anymore but then you brought it up again. I bit my lips and left without answering his question. I still heard him calling my name but I ignored it and kept moved away.

I need to settle this thing with Amber, ASAP.