Chapter 01: No Song Felt Right

Our Song

“SooJung-ah! Here, here!” I was just five steps entering the school canteen when I heard my best friend’s voice called my name.

I scanned the room to find the source of the voice. There she was with my two other friends, sitting on a table near the window. I quickly came to them.

“Sorry I took so long, Mr. Lee was giving me a task to take some list to the administration,” I took a seat right next to Sulli and placed my bag on my other side.

“The perks of being a class leader, eh, Princess?” Taemin took a sip of drink after she asked me.

“Looks like I don’t have a choice, do I? Being a class leader on my senior year could help me get into my dream college.”

“With your perfect grade, you don’t have to be anything else to get to Yonsei, Princess,” Taemin looked at me in disbelieve.

“Please stop calling me Princess,” I warned him.

“But why? Don’t pretend you don’t like being called Princess, Jung Soo Jung. Cause I know you do.” Aish, what did I do to this kid so he judged me this hard?

“That’s because-“

“I just simply don’t like being called Princess. Sounds so childish you know,” I immediately cut Sulli’s sentence.

“Because now only one person can call her ‘Princess’!” Naeun uttered these words so fast I had no time to interrupt it.

“Oh, God. I still can’t believe you are dating the main vocalist of my favorite indie band ever!” Taemin cried in whisper.

“And I still can’t believe you two are finally dating!” I shouted back at Taemin and Naeun causing Naeun to act all wrong.

“She is cute I’m cute, it all makes sense.”

“Yah! Do you mean I’m not cute?” A bit pissed since my backfire didn’t really fired him.

“Aha! So it’s mean a yes, eh? You and the vocalist? A thing?” A very wide smile formed on his little face and I decided not to say anything anymore.

“It’s pretty cool you know, SooJung. The way destiny brought you together with your soulmate.”

“Okay, okay, stop with all the sweet talk, you’re giving me diabetes,” I opened my lunch box and started eating.

“Hi, SooJung.” It was only my third spoon when someone approached us and tapping my shoulder.

“Oh, hi, Minho-ssi,” I tried to give Choi MinHo, the president of Student Council, my best smile. Turned it’s kinda hard when you have a spoonfull of salad in your mouth.

“Here, I just wanna gave you the form for a campus visit.” He handed me a couple of papers. His eyes are still glued on mine.

“Your job is to list all the st-“

“I know what my job with these papers, Minho-ssi. Thank you so much.”

“Ah, yes, of course you already know. Just gave me back the papers after you finish it. Call me anytime, you know.” After I replied him with a small smile, MinHo finally stepped away followed by his minion, Hwang KwangHee.

“Bye!” Said Taemin sarcastically as MinHo dissapeared from our sight.

“He practically just ignored our existance,” Naeun murmured in the middle of her lunch.

“He really should know when to stop flirting with you, Krys.”

“I tried to give him all the signs that I’m not interested, but still..”

“Maybe you should tell him you’re into girls now.”

An awkward silence happened to us after Taemin speak of the ‘kinda-taboo’ words.

“Sorry, Krys. I didn’t mean to offend you or anything. I 100% support you. You know it, don’t you?”

“Haha, it’s okay. It’s not like it’s a secret between us, isn’t it?” I smiled at Taemin and the others when I saw their expression into somewhat guilty. I’m always thankful to have them as friends, the always accept me for the way I really am.

“Ah, you changed your ringtone?” I asked when Naeun’s phone suddenly ringing.

“Yep, same as me~” Taemin answered instead as Naeun picked up the phone.

“What?”

“That’s called ‘Our Song’ SooJung-ah. That’s when you and your loved one have that one song which always remind you of each other. It’s kinda a trend nowadays, I think.”

“You and ChulWoo oppa also have this song?”

“Yep! Ours is Everything Has Changed by Talor Swift and Ed Sheeran~”

--------------------

I took a cab immediately to SangHoon Park Music Studio after school ended. I took a glance at my watch and it showed me about half an hour before our meeting time. Still plenty of time actually remembering the place was not really that far.

I smiled and giggled all my way there even the driver frowned a bit through the rear-view mirror. It wasn’t really because I was gonna meet her, it was just every time I think about her, I remembered all the silly jokes she made. I don’t know if it’s her super funny words-twist or I was just easily amused. It’s just when I’m with her laughing is not something I need to try to. I just laugh, with her.

Before I even finished daydreaming, the cab stopped at the two stories building. I stepped out, said thank you, and hurriedly went upstair.

“Ah, SooJung-ah, hi!” Luna-ssi greeted me as I walked into the lobby of the studio. I gave her a hug and asked about how was her day.

“Mine today as kinda boring since the boys didn’t have any stage schedule today. So i just watched they practiced all day. How was school?”

“Haha, even more boring I guess. Same old same old~” I found it funny how Luna-ssi always refer Paper and Minds as ‘the boys’ even they have Amber there.

I sat with Luna-ssi for a couple minutes in the lobby. The practice room was just right in front of us and with a big thick glass beside the door, I practically can see them inside. My lips formed a smile automatically when I saw the one with a guitar and a mic.

“Their practicing time actually ended a moment ago. Feel free if you want to take Amber away.” My face turned red when it seemed Luna-ssi knew I was staring at Amber just now.

Because it seemed Amber didn’t notice I was standing here, I decided to come closer to the glass wall and gave it a small tap. The thing I usually do to get her attention while she was inside.

Still didn’t notice. I tapped harder. Finally Onew oppa noticed me and immediately stopped smashing his drum. It made the whole crew to look at Onew and Onew just waved at me. I waved him back then looked at Amber. She waved at me too then took the guitar strap off of her shoulder. Then I saw Key and Jonghyun oppa started to tease Amber as she was about to leave. I can’t hear anything from out here but whatever they said, it made Amber’s face turned red. What a pleasing view to see I said to myself.

“Bye! Make sure to take her home safely, yah, you punk!” Luna-ssi waved at us when we were about to go outside.

“Soooo, where to go today, Princess?” Amber asked me as we walked toward he parking lot.

“Have nothing in my mind. Surprise me please~”

“You sure love surprises a lot yeah, these days?” asked Amber as she opened th front door of her red Hyundai Veloster. This is why I love it when Amber calls me Princess. Because she really treated me like one.

As the engine started and the car started to move, songs from Amber’s favorite band, Avenue 52, filled the car. And it suddenly made me thinking about what Sulli said earlier at lunch time.

The next thing I did was stopped the music and changed it into radio mode and started to radio zapping, switched one station to another.

“Err, mind explaining what exactly you’re doing right now?”

“I- I’m searching for a song,” I answered honestly.

“What song? You could try too look up on my Iphone. Thousand songs there.”

“Still don’t know yet. Do you know which station that plays random music at this time?”

“What? Did you get a music assignment or what?” With a perplexed look she reached the screen, typed a number, and suddenly random song came from the stereo. I smiled and tried to enjoy and analyze every music.

“How come we don’t have a song?” I finally asked her after no song that’s just right.

“What song?”

“Our song.”

“You mean like you and me having a duet? Something like that?”

“Noooo, you stupid~” I jokingly punched her in the arm.

“I mean the one song that always remind us of.... us,” I tried my best to explain it to her.

“Do you really need a song to think about us, eh, Princess?” she let out a small chuckle that sounded so cute and annoying at the same time.

“Of course no, it’s just...” I looked for the right words but nothing logical came to my mind.

I was riding shotgun

With my hair undone

In the front seat of his car

He's got a one-hand feel

On the steering wheel

The other on my heart

I look around, turn the radio down

He says, "Baby is something wrong?"

I say, "Nothing, I was just thinking

How we don't have a song"