Cross My Heart

When You Come Home

--8:00 AM--


Waking up with the sun streaming in my windows, I reluctantly open my eyes, knowing I have to get up and go to work. Rolling over and looking at the clock I grumble when I see the time, "Ugh! It's already 8?" I say in disbelief, not wanting to get out of bed. "Five more minutes.." I mumble pulling the covers over my head to block out the sunlight, "Just five more minutes..." and with that I fall back to sleep.

--9:00 AM--

Rolling over I look at the clock, and shoot out of bed the moment I realize I've over slept. " I'm going to be late!!" I yell, almost tripping over the blankets entangling my feet when I try to get up. Tugging at the blankets I finally free myself, and can't stop myself from cursing again when I realize I hadn't set my clothes out like I do every night before work. "Ugh! Why today of all days?!?" I grumble throwing clothes behind me as I trifle through my closet. "Come on! Where's my work shirt?" I say in a panic, digging through my closet faster, creating a mountain of dis-guarded clothing behind me. "AH HA! There you are!" I yell pulling out the black and red button up, tossing on the wrinkled garment. "Now where did I put my pants..." I mumble scanning the room, feeling a wave of relief when I spot them on the dresser. Quickly swapping my pajamas with my black slacks I sift through the dresser in search of socks, settling for a miss matched pair when I see the clock. "Gah I'm soo late!!!" I say running out of my room pulling on my shoes then grabbing my coat, keys, and brief case before missing the door knob completely and smacking into the front door and falling on my . "OWW!" I yell, rubbing my forehead with irritation. *Makes angry dinosaur noise* "Great! This is just great!" I say frustratedly, pulling the door open and storming out to my car. Pulling out of the drive way with squealing tires I race to work, barely making it to my desk before the boss walks in.

--10:00 AM--

"Morning Jonghyun!" He says with his always chipper attitude, pulling a chair out next to mine before plopping down and looking up at me with an expectant smile. "How was your weekend?" He asks.

"Oh um..Good Morning Mr. Lee, my weekend was good... How was your weekend?" I reply, trying to look happy even though on the inside I'm anything but.

"Oh Jonghyun! I told you to call me Jinki! None of that Mr. Lee nonsense!" He says grinning. "You know I hate all that formal crap, this is a place for friends, no need to be all stiff and boring." He adds, the corners of his eyes crinkling with the large smile.

"Right..Jinki..." I mumble looking down, ugh how can people be so happy this early? I think to myself as I run my thumbs over one another.

"Any ways.." He starts off, but waits until I lift my head to continue. "You wont believe what I did this weekend..." He says, looking like he's about to burst with what ever is about to come out of his mouth.

"And?" I prod, not wanting to play the guessing game this early and fighting the urge to roll my eyes.

"You remember my girlfriend right?" He asks

"Yeah..Luna right?" I reply, starting to feel my interest peeked. He never talks about his relationships, so something must have happened.

"Yes Luna!" He says over ecstatically, practically bouncing in his chair.

"Okay.. What about her?" I ask, unsure where he's going with all of this.

"Well..you know how we've been together for awhile now..two years in fact.." He says, eyes glazing over and I know I'm about to lose him.

"Jinki..Jiiinkiii.." I say waving a hand in front of his face, snapping him back to reality.

"Oh! Um...well.." He mumbles rubbing his forehead

"You were saying how you and Luna had been together for two years then drifted off to I don't even want to know where.." I say jogging his memory.

"Oh right! Well the thing is..." He starts saying but stops when he sees the look of curiosity on my face. Grinning up at me like a love sick school boy he blurts out, "I asked her to marry me! And she said yes!"

Eyes widening with surprise, I take in what he's just said. "Oh my god you didn't?!?!?" I all but shriek, looking at my totally pink faced boss. "You did! You really asked her to marry you!" I shout happily, unable to stop myself from getting up and giving him a hug. "Congrats Jinki! Wow this is so..well so unexpected!" I say as he just beams up at me with the goofiest smile I've ever seen. "That's really good news Jinki..I'm so happy for you!" I add hugging him again, as my morning grumpiness dissipates entirely.

"Thank you Jonghyun...I honestly feel like the luckiest man in the world right now..." He mumbles as his eyes start to glaze over again.

"Alright enough of that!" I say with a laugh, "come on Jinki, I know you're happy but try to stay at least a little focused here." I add giving his shoulder a light shake.

Clearing his throat again he looks back at me, this time will less glossy eyes. "You're right Jonghyun, I shouldn't be getting so distracted.." He says, but I can tell by the way he's fidgeting that he really can't contain his happiness.

Suppressing another laugh I push him towards the door, "Okay Jinki..I'm happy for you and all, but I really need to get to work.." I say with a smile, gently shoo-ing him out the door.

"Oh of course!" He replies blushing, "Sorry about that..I just really wanted to let you know cause we've been good friends for so long and all..." He mumbles with a bow.

"Hey don't worry about it." I say waving a hand in the air, "And tell the soon to be miss's I said congrats!" I add bowing back.

"I will!" He beams turning away and practically dances down the hall to his office.

 Sighing I rub a hand across my face, "It's still too early to be THAT cheerful.." I chuckle to myself as I sit back down and get to work.

--7:00 PM--

Groaning at my aching back I shuffle into the dark house, not even bothering to flick on the lights when I reach my room. "I should really consider finding a job that doesn't require me to sit at a desk all day.." I grumble dropping my brief case on the floor and fumbling through my pockets. "Where did I put my phone-" I start to say but get cut off when I hear it ring some where near my bed. "Oh crap! I forgot it this morning!" I say digging through my blankets, trying to reach it before the call ends. Managing to find it on the last ring I quickly answer it,

"H..hello?" I say panting, suddenly out of breathe from the frantic search.

"Oh now you answer!" I hear Kibum yell through the phone. "Seriously! I've been trying to get a hold of you all day!" He adds, and I can tell he's mad.

"I'm sorry Kibum! I woke up late and forgot my phone at the house.." I mumble, feeling stupid for ducking my head in shame when he can't even see me. "Really, I haven't been ignoring you, I was just in a hurry this morning.." I add quietly, not wanting to deal with an angry Kibum right after work.

"You forgot your phone?" He says in disbelief,  then adds, "You never forget your phone, what's up with you? First you go to bed early and now you're running late and forgetting things.."

"I've just been preoccupied lately.." I say sitting down on the edge of the bed, but end up just falling over and nuzzling into my pillow when I realize how stiff my back is. Sighing in content I stretch my legs and kick off my shoes, "So what's the urgent news?" I ask, remembering that he'd said he was trying to get a hold of me all day. "Did something happen?"

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot!" He says enthusiastically, making my jump from his sudden loudness. "I'm going to be coming back sooner than expected and really wanted to tell you but you weren't answering any of my messages, and I was starting to get worried.." He trails off

"You're coming back early? Why did something happen at your parents house?" I ask confused.

"Oh no nothing happened.. well nothing bad.." he replies with a mischievous voice.

"Well then why are you coming home early? And by early... when exactly will you be here...?" I ask.

"In four days!" He yells, practically blowing out my ear drums with the squeal that follows, and I can't help but wonder why he's so excited.

"Four days?" I repeat, "But you've only been gone for three days, why are you coming back so soon?" I ask dumb founded.

"Because! I want to see you and I have to tell you about-" he starts saying but suddenly stops.

Hearing him go quiet I perk up an eye brow in  suspicion, "Tell me about what Kibum?" I ask with a smile tugging at my lips.

"Never mind! Just..Just pretend you didn't hear that!" He blurts, and now I'm really curious.

"Oh Bummie..." I coo, "What is it you want to tell me..?" I ask trying to pry it out of him

"It's nothing!! Nothing at all!" He says in a rush and I know he's hiding something.

"Oh really?" I say in my know it all voice, "It sure doesn't sound like nothing.." I tease

"It's a secret!" He yells, and I let out a laugh as I picture him all pink faced and flustered, flailing his arms about cause he's a terrible liar.

"Okay Okay! I'll be patient and wait till you get home.." I mumble, not really wanting to stop teasing him but knowing I wont get any more information out of him until then. "So other than to tell me that you're coming home early, is there anything else you wanted to talk about?" I ask

"Anything else.." He repeats mumbling, "Well no.. that's pretty much it.." He adds, sounding a bit sad.

"Is everything okay Kibum?" I ask, getting the feeling that somethings bothering him

"Yeah..it's just.. I've been trying to get a hold of you all day and now that we're on the phone I don't have anything to talk about..But I still want to talk to you.." He replies quietly

"Oh I see..." I say smiling, "Well I need to take a shower and eat something real quick... So why don't I call you back when I'm done? That way you have some time to think about it." I say shuffling over to the closet, having a repeat of this morning as I shovel clothes out in search of pajamas.

"Um..yeah okay, that sounds good!" He replies happily, and I can't stop myself from grinning when I hear his familiar bubbliness return.

"Alright, then I'll call you back in say.. a half hour?" I ask, still scanning the closet.

"A half hour it is!" He beams

"Okay Kibum, I'll talk to you then." I mumble into the phone as I lean over to grab what I hope is my pajama bottoms.

"Bye Jong! Talk to you soon! " He all but yells on the other end.

"Bye Kibum" I say with a laugh, then end the call as I tug my pajamas out of the closet, disturbing a box and sending a cascade of movies onto the floor.

"Oops.." I mumble to myself, getting up to turn on the light and tripping over the earlier discarded clothes. Flicking on the light on look at the chaos I've created, sighing at the clothes and movies every where. Grumbling something incoherent I shuffle over to the mess, grabbing a handful of movies and placing them into the box. Plopping down on the floor to clean easier I sit criss cross as I sort through the movies, carefully putting them back in the box so they don't get ruined. After pushing the neatly organized box back in the closet I turn around and see one stray movie by the bed, "must have slid across the floor when the box tipped." I think to myself, brushing off my pants as I go over to retrieve it, smiling when I read the title. "Wow..It's been a long time since I've watched this.." I mumble running my hand over the tape. Suddenly lost in though as I remember watching it over and over with Kibum, since it was his favorite movie. "Maybe I'll watch it later.." I say setting it on my dresser, then retrieve my pajamas and head for the shower.

--8:30 PM--

After showering and eating I head back to my room, popping in the movie and fishing my phone off the dresser before laying down. "Whoops it's been longer than 30 minutes.." I mumble checking the time. "I should probably call Kibum back..." I add searching through my contacts and pulling up his name. Pushing the call button I settle back into my pillows, listening to the familiar ringtone as I wait for him to pick up.

"Hey Jong!" He answers cheerfully, "What are you up to?" He asks

"Oh was just thinking about watching a movie.." I say with a smile

"Oh really? What movie?" He asks curiously

"Remember when we used to watch 'Grease'? Well I just found it in my closet and thought I'd watch it again for old time sakes." I say

"Oh my goodness I haven't seen that movie in years!" He chimes, "Do you think you can wait till I come back to watch it? I really want to see it too!" he asks, and I find my self unable to refuse his plea.

"Alright I'll wait till you get back.." I mumble, hearing him let out a happy squeal as I get up to turn off the tv and put the movie back in its case. "So what are you doing Kibum? Did you think of anything to talk about while I was gone?" I ask retreating back to my bed.

"Oh nothing much, just waiting around till I find anything better to do. And I did think of something! I remembered how you were saying that you wanted to tell me something when I came home, what was that all about?" He asks suddenly, completely catching me off guard with the question.

"Oh um..well.. you're gonna have to wait till you come back to know..." I mumble, suddenly feeling overwhelmed when I realize that I only have 4 days to mental prepare myself to tell him how I feel. "Crap.." I grumble out loud, forgetting I'm still on the phone

"What..?" I hear him say, obviously confused with my sudden out burst.

"Oh nothing! Never mind! I was just thinking about something and got distracted..Sorry about that.." I say trying to play it off with a laugh, and thankfully Kibum seems to buy it cause he doesn't question further.

"Oh well..Okay.." He mumbles, unsure of how to continue the conversation.

"Anyways! What do you want to do when you get back home? Is there anything special other than the movie? You said I needed to repay you for all the food you made me, so I'll do anything you ask." I say, trying to steer the conversation in a different direction.

"Anything I want to do..." He repeats then goes quiet, probably thinking of the things he could make me do, like shopping or go to some stupid theater thing.."Well how about the amusement park?" He asks, "We haven't gotten to go there in a long time and we used to have so much fun.. do you think that would be okay? I mean if you don't have work that is.." He trails off, sounding a little disappointed towards the end.

"Of course! That'd be fine! We can go on Saturday, I don't have work so we can go all day, how does that sounds Kibum?" I say enthusiastically.

"Really?! We can really go when I get back? Are you sure you won't be too tired from working?" He asks in a rush, making me laugh at his tone of voice, the voice that says he's afraid I'll take it back.

"Really Kibum, it'll be fine. Works been really slow lately any way, so it'll be a nice change." I say grinning, picturing Kibum practically bouncing off the walls with excitement as I hear him squeal on the other end of the phone.

"Promise?!" He yells

"I promise Kibum, we can go to the amusement park when you come home, cross my heart." I say as more squeals follow.

"This is going to be awesome!" I hear him say, and I know he's making his super happy face, the one where he grins so big the corners of his eyes crinkle and his cheeks go pink. "Can we get ice cream?!?" He asks still excited.

"Yes we can get ice cream, you can get what ever you want Kibum, Saturday will be your day to do anything and everything you want to do." I answer.

"Seriously?!? Anything????" He erupts, and suddenly I feel as though there's already a hole being burnt through my wallet.

Gulping down my worry of going broke, I simply say, "Anything you want Kibum, I promise to get it for you." and with that he's the happiest person on the planet, and no doubt has woken up the entire neighborhood with his squealing. Letting out a laugh I continue listening to him jabber on about rides and cotton candy, playing shooting games and riding bumper cars. Smiling at the sound of his voice so filled with happiness I feel butterflies dancing in my stomach, instinctively burying my face in my hands when I feel the blush creep up my cheeks. After about an hour of joking and planning I hear Kibum yawn, "Getting tired Bummie?" I ask, starting to feel my eye lids getting heavy as well.

"Yeah a little.." He mumbles with a yawn.

"Alright, well since you're tired and I have to work tomorrow why don't we call it a night?" I ask, letting out a yawn of my own.

"That sounds good.." He says quietly, obviously more tired then he's willing to admit.

"Okay Kibum..Good night, and sweet dreams.." I murmur

"Night Jongie..Sweet dreams.." He whispers back, and I wait until I hear the beep telling me he's hung up before hanging up myself.

Tossing the phone aside I snuggle deeper into my blankets, just now realizing how much my cheeks hurt from smiling. "Ugh look what you do to me Kibum.." I mumble into my pillow still smiling, then let out a giggle before burying my face in my hands once again as the butterflies over take my stomach. B with happiness I hug my pillow and think about Kibum, wishing for the next 4 days to fly by so I can hold him again, unable to contain my jitters as I think of his sweet smile.

"four more days Jong... Four days until he finally knows how you feel..." I mumble to myself before soundly falling asleep with a smile on my face.