An Empty House

When You Come Home

--6:00 PM --

Watching my best friend walk towards the plane that will be soon taking him back to his family, I'm suddenly determined to finally tell him how I feel. "Kibum!" I yell from the other side of the metal detectors, as he stops and turns to look at me.

"What Jong?" he huffs quietly, not wanting to bring attention to himself.

But as soon as he looks at me all my determination disappears, "Um... Have a safe trip!" I say instead, then wave like an idiot.

To which he just rolls his eyes and turns back around, waving a hand in the air as he continues forward. I count each step he takes, taking in all the beauty I won't get to see for the next few weeks, as he slowly disappears into the crowd. Knowing it's time for me to go I shove my hands in my pockets and  turn to leave, suddenly feeling a sense of uneasiness as I walk out the doors. Running my hands through my hair I try to calm my nerves, "He'll be back in no time Jong, you can tell him when he comes home, there's nothing to worry about." I think as I get in my car and head for home, but something still bothering me. I can't figure out what it is, but it's there in the back of my mind, wanting to be heard.

--9:00 PM--

Racking my brain all the way home, time seems to have escaped me, for I am soon pulling into our drive way. Putting the car in park I lean back in my seat, and rest my sleep deprived eyes, not wanting to face the empty house just yet. "Ugh! Why couldn't I just say it!!" I huff, annoyed that I chickened out once again. "You're so stupid Jong..." I mumble to myself, wishing I had the courage to just come and and say it. "I love you kibum." I say out loud, feeling my cheeks go red as I cover my face. "I can't even say it when you're not here! How am I supposed to say it to your face!" I groan. Unable to sit still any longer I let out a deep breath and step out of the car. Grabbing my backpack and keys I head for the door, going in and setting my bag down I take in the now silent house. Running a hand through my hair I try to think about what I should do, normally I'd be watching TV with Kibum, but now that he's gone I'm not sure what to do with myself. Eventually I decide to just take a bath and go to sleep, feeling gross from skipping my morning shower and exhausted from all the driving.

Going into the bathroom I find myself smiling like a fool, there stuck on the mirror, is a note from Kibum.

Hey there Jongie! Do you miss me yet? I'm sure you're bored already :p anyways, I promise to call soon! -Bummie


Letting out a small chuckle I unstick the note and go put it on my night stand, feeling a little but better knowing he took the time to write me. Going back into the bathroom I decide to have a bubble bath, a very bubbly bubble bath and relax for the next hour.

--10:30 PM--

Feeling refreshed and all squeaky clean I sit down on the edge of my bed, but soon start to miss Kibum when I glance over at his note. The apartment is so quiet without him here, with no one to blast music and dance around the house. Suddenly I'm struck with a wave of loneliness, realizing he won't be home for two whole weeks. "Two whole weeks by myself...what am I gonna do? I don't have anyone to talk to..or to go shopping with, no one to cook for or joke around with..." I think to myself as I lay back on my bed. "Well at least I'll be able to get a full night of sleep..." I mumble, missing him even more as I think of all the mornings he's woken me up by crawling into my bed because he got lonely.

I feel a smile tug at my lips as I remember him coming in with tussled hair and sleepy eyes, clutching the hem of his shirt and silently asking to sleep in my bed. Knowing he's welcome the moment I roll over and lift the edge of the blanket, he shuffles over and crawls under the covers. Snuggling up against my back he wraps an arm around my waist, and just like that, he's fast asleep.

Subconsciously I reach out to touch him, my heart dropping when my hand is met with an empty bed instead of a warm Kibum. Sighing I roll over and drape my arm over my face, "I really miss you Kibum.." I mumble, knowing the next two weeks are going to drag on forever.  But just then my phone buzzes, making me jump at the sudden noise. Not looking I reach out and grab my phone, answering without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?" I answer some what muffled, cause I haven't bothered to remove my arm from my face.

"Oh Jongiiiieee" The voice on the other end of the phone replies.

"Kibum?!" I say sitting straight up out of bed, surprised to hear from him so soon.

"Hmmph! Did you forget my voice already?" He asks, obviously annoyed with my lack of enthusiasm.

"Of course not Bummie.." I respond quickly, "I just didn't think you'd be at your families house yet, how is everything going over there?" I ask.

"Well I got here in one piece, and everyone's asleep cause it's late, so I'm bored and figured I'd call to see how you're doing with out me there." He responds.

Letting out a light chuckle I respond, "well it's quiet, and would you look at that? I have the whole bed to myself..."

"Oh don't be such a jerk Jong!" he says, "You know I have trouble sleeping by myself.." He grumbles.

"I know, I know Kibum...I was just kidding" I say with a laugh, "in all honesty the house feels really empty with out you here..." I trail off, running a hand over the sheets where he should be.

"Hey Jong?" Kibum whispers.

"Yes Kibum?" I reply, getting up from the bed and walking to the window. Pressing my hand against the cold glass and looking up at the sky, now noticing there's a full moon out.

"Do you think you could stay up and talk to me? You know...until I fall asleep?" He mumbles.

"Oh course Kibum..." I say with a smile, knowing he's feeling just as lonely as I am right now. "Hey Kibum?" I add suddenly feeling bold.

"Yes Jong?" He replies

"Can you go to the window?" I ask

"Go to the window?" He repeats, confused at my sudden request. But I still here him fumbling with the phone as he gets up. "Alright I'm at the window, now what?" He asks

"Look up Kibum." I say.

"It's soo pretty..." He murmurs, and I know he's smiling, I can hear it in his voice and can picture in my mind. That beautiful smile that causes his nose to crinkle and eyes to close, making the moon pale in comparison.

"If you have trouble sleeping Kibum, just look out your window and know I'm right here watching the moon with you. You're not alone I promise" I say, suddenly feeling embarrassed with my out burst.

"Thanks Jongie..." He murmurs into the phone with a yawn, "I feel a little bit better now..I think I'll be able to sleep just fine.." he adds, and I can tell he's starting to nod off from the sound of his voice.

"Kibum...?" I mumble into the phone.

"Yes Jong?" He responds with a yawn.

"I have something to tell you...but I want to tell you when you come home...So come home soon okay?" I say, feeling my cheeks heat up from just the thought.

"You need to tell me something..?" He mumbles, too tired to process what I've just said, "Okay Jongie..." He adds with a big yawn, "you can tell me whatever when I get home."

Smiling into the phone I say, "You should get some sleep Kibum, I'm sure you're exhausted from your trip, so try to get some rest okay?"

"hmm..?" He says groggily.

"Go to bed Kibum, I'll stay on the phone till you fall asleep, so go ahead and get some rest." I add

"okaaay..." He mumbles, as I hear him plop down on the bed. "Night Jongieee" He whispers, and with that the phone goes silent and all I can hear is his breath go even as he drifts off to sleep.

"Good night Bummie..." I say, laying down in my own bed, then knowing he's already asleep I whisper, "I love you..." before hanging up, and falling asleep almost instantly with the phone still pressed against my face.