Chapter 02: Stay Here

Wild Heart

“Good job, Amber. You only ten times later than you’re supposed to. Look here, Key already wants to pee again.” Key gave Jonghyun insulted look as Jonghyun patted his head.

“Well, sorry, too much orders.” Amber half lied. She then threw pack of cigarettes to the drivers, chicken-flavored snack to Onew, ionic drinks to Luna, and some random snacks to Key and Jonghyun.

“You’re welcome,” said Amber before went back to her seat.

“Okay, so..” Luna walked to the front row to give a little briefing to the team.

“We’ll be arrived at the festival at half an hour, more or less,” she gave Key an intimidated look before continuing the speech. “So, prepare yourself and your equipment. Mr. Lee and Mr. Park here will help you with that.”

I checked on the box above my seat which contains my personal microphone. Then I ziper up my guitar case next to my seat before went back to sit. I took a long breath as I felt a bit nervous about our performance.

“We’ll be performing about an hour after our arrival. We’ll be on stage right before The Vamps and that makes us the 23rd band to perform. I want you all to gather at the backstage 20 minutes before we go up, understand? No excuse. And for the last, I suggest you all to cover a half of your face since I guess we’re getting more and more fame, hahahaha.” Luna ended the speech with a bit lunatic laugh as she imagined the crowd she’d get at the festival. Onew being the only admirer of Luna, stood up and gave a clap.

I reached my bag pack and start searching for my black fase mask I usually wear when I ride my motorbike. I personally don’t think we’re that popular till we have to wear a face cover whatsoever, but for the sake of my manager I just put it in my face then went for a quick nap.

------

“Aaaah, finally!” Key stretched out his body right away after the bus hit the parking lot.

“Yah, you get to go out the bus like every hour. Don’t act like you just sat tight the entire trip.” Jonghyun put his arm around Key’s neck pretending to choke him.

I took a look at my watch right after I stepped out of the bus and it showed 05:22 p.m and our show won’t start untill 06:30 p.m so I guess I have time to enjoy the festival. The music festival took place at a camping ground just across the parking lot. I looked around and I can see the big banner above the gate with “BIGGEST INDIE MUSIC FESTIVAL” written on it. Inside the arena, there were full of merchandise booths from different fandoms and also food trucks and also some photo booths.

As I done looking around, I found myself standing alone in the parking lot. Turned out Luna and Onew already had a date of their own and Jonghyun and Key had stormed to God-knows-where. They always seems to fight but deep inside they just secretly in love with each othe r, I guess, haha. And because both of our drivers immediately fell asleep due to tiredness, guess I’m all by myself now. I put my hands in my varsity pocket and walked right to the festival.

Just a few steps from the entrance I stopped for a while, had a thought to where I should go. I narrowed my eyes to find something interesting in my surrounding and....... yes! Something definitely caught my eyes. In the middle of a group of people, there was the tall, bun-haired girl I saw earlier in the mini market. And if she was here, then....... bingo! The girl which her hat got blown away by wind was standing there too.

For a split second I just stood there had no idea what to do. My mind told me to ignore those people and just grab something to eat or whatever but my heart definitely told me to approach the girl. And I confusingly followed my heart. I came closer to her but I didn’t want to suddenly barge in and make a fool of myself. So I waited, hoping the girl that makes my heart go weird would step out of the group for a while. And after waited 10 minutes (which is like 10 years to me) she walked out, looked like she was searching for a trash bin since she was holding an empty cup.

Just the moment she found a trash bin I walked fast in her direction and thank God I successfully made it like an accident when I ‘accidentally’ hit her shouder.

“Ah, sorry..” I smiled inside.

“It’s okay,” she gave me a small smile before walked away from me.

“Eh, SooJung, right?” I immadiately said her name right before I lost her again.

She stopped and looked perplexed at me.

I loosened up the face mask that covered my mouth and nose.

“Aah, you’re the guy from the mini market!” A big smile grew on her beautiful face after she saw my full face.

“Eh, I’m not.. er, y-yeah, I’m the one from the mini market, hehe.” I’m not sure how to explain the I-ain’t-no-dude thing.

“I thank you very much for earlier you know. And you seemed to already know my name, soooo can I know yours?”

“Ah, yes. I heard your friend said your name back in the market. And my name is Amber.”

“Amber? Not so Korean name, eh? And a bit girly. Is that your real name or did you just accidentally said your girlfriend’s name?” She asked me jokingly.

“Nooooo, haha...” I actually don’t know where to explain actually.

“I was born in California, USA. Spend my childhood there too. Aaaaand, I’m not a dude actually , sorry..” I just simply thought lying wouldn’t be the best option.

“Oh, sorry! It’s just you look so...”

“Shockingly handsome?”

“Haha, since you’ve been nice to me, yeah, we can say that.” I thanked God this conversation didn’t turn out to be awkward.

“And since you’re from USA, you can call me Krystal instead of SooJung. I was born in San Fransisco, though I didn’t spent much of my childhood there.”

“Wow, cool! I don’t really have American friends here in Korea.”

There was a moment of silence between us after a small talk we made. However, none of us walked away from each other which I feel very strange yet pleasing.

“Soooo, Krystal. You came here so I can guess you like Indie music, eh? Who is your favorite so far?” I finally asked to break out the silence just to find a kinda shocking answer.

“Emmm, I actually don’t really enjoy this kind of music. I only came here because my friends asked me too.”

BAM! What now??

“Hmm, so you don’t have a wild heart to enjoy this kind of music, eh, Krystal?”

“Haha, I don’t really get what you mean actually. But I guess so, I’m thinking of going home soon.”

BAM! BAM!

“No! I mean don’t go home just yet. About 30 minutes from now, there is, eh, there is a band that’s gonna perform and I have this feeling that you might like it. So, just hang around a little longer, ok?” I guess I was blabbering around but I don’t care. I want her to watch me. I need her to watch me.

“Wow, we just met and now you’re thinking you know what kind of music I might like?”

“Well, just a wild guess, but mine is usually true,” I gave her a smirk.

“Hmm, okay, since I don’t really have a ride home now I guess I’ll stick around a little bit and let’s see if your ‘wild guess’ is roght or not.”

“The band called Paper And Minds. I’d treat you an ice cream if I’m wrong.”

“I’m not some 10 years-old girl, yah! You, stupid,” she pretended to punch my arm.

And then, again, for a moment, we just stood there, smiled at each other and I swear never before in my life silence between me and someone else felt this good.

Stay here, my dear,
Feels like I've been standing right here for years
My mind's beat up
Tell me that you feel this, and I won't give up
I won't give up