Better Me

The Way The World Works

 

Childhood: when we didn’t have anything to worry about, when we had our own little world to ourselves, and when pain never existed. I want to get back to the way things were when we were young, before it’s too late. Myungsoo please hear me out just this once?

When school ended, Suji waited on a bench just in front of the school entrance. This was the only way to hold on to him for a moment.

 An hour had already past and Suji was just about ready to give up. She got up and walked towards the front door of the school and by pure coincidence she saw his familiar figure in the distance. Her lips curled up from relief, she finally had the chance to see him again.

“Please Myungsoo, please just read this. That’s all I ask of you.” Suji pleaded, staring into the distance as he walked past her as if she was a ghost, meaninglessly using their strength just to obtain someone’s awareness. “I assure you that if you read this letter I will never acquaint myself with you.”  She the letter into his hand and she walked away in fear of being rejected by him.

Myungsoo stood there in disbelief. ‘Wow, she never changed; she’s still as headstrong as ever.’

When Myungsoo got home he ran up to his room with a tear in his eye.

The letter read:

                Dear Myungsoo,

It’s been awhile since we’ve seen each other, huh? It’s been eleven years since then, and one day out of the blue I just appeared in front of you. At that moment you must have wanted to yell at me and you didn’t, but you had every right to be angry. I know that no matter how many times I say sorry or give you an explanation, we can never get back the time we missed, so I just want to convey all of my feelings about my sudden absence.

You’re mother must have told you that my parents were involved in a fatal car accident. Although I was only six years old, it felt as if my life shattered all around me. With no one left to look after me, I was sent to an orphanage far away. I didn’t understand where I was going, but I knew I was about to begin a new chapter in my life. I call this chapter, Broken Future. Nothing in this world will ever fill the void of happiness and joy I was once filled with. However, before my time is up, would you be able to make me experience hope so that I have a purpose to live on? Can we be friends? As if we have never met before?

Sincerely,

Bae Suji