Begin Again

The Way The World Works

 

Suji wiped her tears and ran out of the room.

She stood in front of the multi-purpose room where she found Myungsoo sitting in the same spot as she left him.

All her memories flashed before her eyes. Suji felt her body weaken and collapsed to the ground.

She opened her eyes and realized she was lying in bed in the school infirmary. To the right of her was Myungsoo; he was sitting in a chair at the corner of the room reading a novel. He looked up. Right away you could tell by his expression that he was concerned but also relieved that she was okay.  

“Thank you,” was all Suji could mutter. He responded with a slight nod.

Just as Myungsoo was about leave the room, Suji got up and grasped his hand.

“Myungsoo, it’s me, Suji. Bae Suji.” He kept his head straight and violently shook her off.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are,” Myungsoo calmly replied, but inside his cold facade came crumbling down.

***

POV:Myungsoo

I’m sorry Suji, I never wanted to hurt you. I understood why you left, but why did you leave without a word? When I saw you for the first time in 10 years, I was at a loss for words. What was I supposed to say? ‘Let’s be best friends again, and pretend you never left!’ No, I would never be able to say that.

Even though we were children, I still treasured you as my best friend and someday even my soul mate.

***

Sulli and Jiyoung came to the infirmary and they walked home together. Suji didn’t talk for the whole time. They could tell something was unusual, but they decided to give her some time to think.

While Suji was brushing her teeth, Sulli knocked on the bathroom door and walked in. Suji noticed her presence and so she looked up and gave her a faint smile.

“Is something going on?” Sulli was worried. Suji hesitated but spoke out.

“Why did our parents have to leave us, did they think we can live without them?” Suji whispered. Sulli turned her back to Suji, and then her tears began to endlessly flow down her cheeks.

“I guess these things just happen for a reason,” Sulli replied and left the room.