Like Mother, like Daughter....and Son

The Way The World Works

POV: Myungsoo

March 19

Today marks the day of my 19th birthday. I appreciate that my whole family and my friends are here, but every year I get a feeling that there is something or someone missing.

It’s been bothering me for years, but how can I ever forget? Oh yeah, her name was Suji. She was my mother’s best friend’s daughter, or the girl whom my mother wanted as her daughter in-law.

          When our mothers met in high school they couldn’t stand each other’s presence. They did everything to make one another miserable. Then one day they both ended up in detention. Their friendship started to grow in a strange way, but they eventually became best friends. What a coincidence….

          I don’t know how we became so close since we were both too young to remember, but my mom always told me stories of how we used to argue. I always imagined that we stole each other’s toys and food, and mostly hit each other until one of us cried. Out of all the stories I heard, there was one in particular that stuck out clearly that I could see painted in full color.

***

Summer of 1999        

       When I was 7 and Suji was 5 we had a place we called our own, it was the wheat meadow near my house. We pretended we ruled the place as if we were in our own little world. Some days the sun shone brightly through the wheat, and when the stale breeze blew in we could tell by the scent that autumn was arriving. It was normal for us to argue over small things, but in the meadow it was like an unspoken agreement where we would never fight. We went their each day to play, to listen to the silence, and watch the still sky and each time we did, our friendship became stronger.

           Suji was only 6 at that time while Myungsoo was 8 years old; they were lying down in the meadow looking up at the sky as everything became still until Myungsoo broke the silence. “Suji, let’s make a promise.” “What kind of a promise?” Suji asked with an uninterested look as she picked out a dandelion from the ground and blew on it. “Let’s be best friends forever” Myungsoo suggested. Their friendship grew strong, so strong that he decided to make a pact. Suji gave a slight nod, a sad smile formed on her usually cheerful face. She pulled two more dandelions out from the ground, “Take this, then there will be nothing to worry about!” She suddenly got back into her usual self again and exclaimed, “I heard that if you make a wish and blow on a dandelion your wish will come true!” They both closed their eyes and together they said, “I wish that we will be best friends forever, no matter what happens!” They blew on the dandelions and watched as their wishes faded into the sun’s light, travelling to a place they will never know where.

***

          For all these years I depended on that wish, but I knew good things never last. 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it boring, sorry guys I think I am starting to get writer's block! Jokes! Thanks to everyone who patiently waited, and subscribed. I was busy with some things and I haven't updated for a long time, so you guys deserved this chapter. There hasn't been much dialogue, but I promise to in the chapters ahead, it's just that I wanted to clarify the story line before I go into detail. I will write soon, so please wait for me!