Chapter 3

Le Portail (The Portal)

"I have found a hint about Prince Lee Jong."

 

Myungsoo and Lee Ho give full attention to Sunggyu. As expected from Sunggyu, a.k.a their brain, he already got a hint just after 2 days assigned.

 

"There is a shop that sell clothes, at the market. They said that Prince Lee Jong was seen in the shop, at the evening, before he was missing."

"Great. Now, let's go there."

"No, Prince Lee Ho. I think it best for me and Sunggyu to go there. Remember when I told you that I have beat some men that has threated us? We don't want you to feel the same."

"But..."

"No! You stay here! Let's go."

 

This time, it was Sunggyu who said that. Getting know with each other for two days, Lee Ho has to admit, that Sunggyu is the one that he scared the most. He makes Myungsoo's glare look so adorable, compared to his knife-like stare. Lee Ho sigh, before letting his two men to investigate about it. But surely, not just the two of them.

 

.

.

.

 

"Oh, this pretty man. It's true, that he came to me."

 

Sunggyu smile a bit as he look to Myungsoo. As soon as they arrive at the shop, the show a potrait of Lee Jong to the shop owner. Lady luck was besides them, when the owner can recognize that face just by a single look. And they are lucky enough, because people only know Lee Jong's name, but not his face. This is because, the King want their identity to remained hidden, until one of them will be crown as a King. And it makes they less suspect, for asking information about the missing prince. But they still feels weird why the king still doesn't want to tell the people about Prince Lee Jong.

 

"Really? Then can you tell when he come?" Myungsoo ask the old man.

"If I wasn't mistaken, it was 5 or 6 days ago."

 

Then, the rumor is true. Lee Jong really visited this place before he was missing. Myungsoo smirk a little. He feels like he could hear Sunggyu's voice echoed in his brain. Maybe I've spend too much time with him, that makes my brain start to hallucination? From the corner of Myungsoo's eyes, he sense a man spying on them, but he just ignore it, for a reason, that he know who was he.

 

"Can I know why he come to you?"

The old man look again to Sunggyu. "Well, he want me to make a new hanbok. A male hanbok actually. It's already finish two days ago, but he didn't pick it up yet."

"We'll take it. I will pay for that."

 

Sunggyu seems suprised by Myungsoo's words. Well, that because whenever they eating somewhere, Myungsoo would always said that he didn't have money. But this time he willing to pay that. And when the old man come with the well-made hanbok, Sunggyu gasp a bit, because judging from the quality of the silk, and the way it was made, it must be expensive.

 

And true to his expectation, Myungsoo paid quite a huge amount of money. 

 

"Yah, you always said that you don't have enough money." He whisper to Myungsoo.

"I'm saving my money."

"And why did you buy that. We should've told Crown Prince, and he might buy this by himself."

"You ignorant scholar. Can't you know by the colour that Prince Lee Jong has choose? It's Prince Lee Ho favourite color."

"Oh really?"

 

Sunggyu look again to the hanbok that the old man hold it before it was wrapped in the wrapping clothes, for them to carry. He then realized that it was purple, Lee Ho's favourite color. He remember that Lee Ho once mention about his and Lee Jong's favourite color.

 

"And that means.. "

"That's mean that Lee Jong want this tailored hanbok for Lee Ho. Have you ever find someone who bought his own present?"

"Well, I thought that you only use your eyes to live. It seems that your brain working too."

"Same goes to you. Everything work, except your half-open eyes."

"Yah!"

"Young men, I think you should stop whispering to each other. You make my other customers feels uncomfortable. And here, the package."

 

As the the owner said it, both of them look around, and found that some of the customer look to them and whispering. Shyly, Myungsoo hurriedly leave the shop, leaving Sunggyu and the packages.

 

.

.

.

 

"Your honor, I've got an information, that saying Crown Prince Lee Ho make his own research team, and investigate about Prince Lee Jong's case."

 

The King did not suprised by it. Actually, he kind of expecting it. Because he know his son too well. He know that Lee Ho will do anything for his brother. And if he said that he want to do it, he will do whatever it takes. The King put down the scroll that containing the nation's information to the wood table, and look again to his minister of war.

 

"I kind of expecting him to do that. Who helping my son?"

"Your honor, Crown Prince Lee Jong has asked help from the smartest scholar of Sungkyunkwan."

"Kim Sunggyu scholar?"

"Yes, my King. With this random guy called Kim Myungsoo. He seems tough from the appearances."

"Good. Keep an eye for him. And make sure that no one gonna hurt him. You may dismissed."

 

The King eyeing the minister of war as he leave the king at the hall. He sigh a bit when he heard the name of Kim Sunggyu and Kim Myungsoo. Sunggyu, his brain will work for this case. And Myungsoo, his strength, will protect them all. And my son, he is not someone who didn't know how to use his mental and physical, but he will get stuck if he was too stress. I hope they do well. And I hope that I can protect you, from that evil person!

 

.

.

.

 

"What do you meant by saying that this is for me?"

"Yes, my prince. Prince Lee Jong has make this hanbok just for you to wear, the first day you will crown as the king."

 

With his shaking hand, he pull the package closer to him. It's true that he has follow them, but once his eyes meet with Myungsoo's, he know he was discovered, and hurriedly going back to the castle. He didn't see any hanbok when he spying them. When he open the package, he could see a bright purple hanbok with the finest silk in there. It seems that my brother did his best to choose the silk and colour for me.

 

"You left before the owner pull out the hanbok. It's his present to you. So we think that we should buy it for you. At least, his wish will come true."

 

Sunggyu seems suprised when he heard that. First, because Myungsoo know about Lee Ho following them. Well actually, Sunggyu already know it, 15 minutes before they arrived at the shop. Who the hell will wear all black at this sunny day. Yeah, black do the best disguise, but only in the dark. Lee Ho black outfit has captured his attention, and some other, showing that the prince in hurry to follow them, but didn't use his brain wisely.

Second, Sunggyu suprised because Myungsoo just said 'we paid for it', something like that, when clearly, he is the one paid for all the expenses. And of course, I'm the one who bring it, just because he run from the shop, with his red ears, and blushing from embarassment. Well, this kid have a good manner, for saying we, instead of me. Oh, ah, before I forget...

 

"Crown Prince, here is the letter that we have found in Prince Lee Jong's room. It seems that he write it for you."

 

Sunggyu hand over the letter, while Myungsoo just stay sit beside Sunggyu. Lee Ho reach for the letter, spend some time to read it. Both Sunggyu and Myungsoo could see Lee Ho's teary eyes as he read it, when suddenly Lee Ho says.

 

"Go now. I will meet you guys at Myungsoo's house, tonight around haesi (9 - 11 pm)."

 

Hearing it, both of them quietly make their moves. Maybe Lee Ho need his own time.

 

.

.

.

 

"Did you cook all of this, you kid?"

 

Sunggyu look around the dining table. It's nothing much, but still looks tasty compared to Sungkyunkwan's foods.

 

"No, old man. I asked someone to cooks it for us."

"Is she trustable? What if she want to poison us if she knew we are the hidden investigator?"

 

Not too long for Sunggyu to talks, when suddenly he cringed for the pain that he felt on his head. He look up to see that Myungsoo has knock his head using the wooden spoon, before the youngest sit in front of him.

 

"You already say hidden, so it was supposed to be hidden. And when I said someone, I meant by the old ahjumma who raised me just like her own granchildren. She wouldn't kill me. And I think Lee Ho already here. Go and open the door."

 

Sunggyu raised his corner lips to show his frustation. As Myungsoo talks, they heard the horseshoe getting louder. And when Sunggyu open the door, he saw that Lee Ho already arrived and in his hand, there is a jar of ceramic.

 

"What it is, Prince Lee Ho?"

"I don't know. Some old lady give me that. She said that she is Myungsoo's grandmother."

 

Said Lee Ho as he sit at the empty spot. He already give the jar the Sunggyu. And he could see that the scholar taste a bit the liquid, before he nod by himself. Maybe to say that the water is safe for them? But then he look again to expressionless Myungsoo.

 

"But, Myungsoo, didn't you said that you are alone? Your parents was killed, and your grandparents was died long before you meet them?"

"That's true. But that old lady already treat me like his grandchildren, eventhough we are not blood related. She was the one who take care of me, since I was a little boy. What was that, Sunggyu?"

 

Now, two pairs of eyes on Sunggyu. They saw that the scholar keep on smiling after have a taste of the liquid.

 

"I think it a red ginseng. It so delicious and fresh."

"You think?"

"Yeah, because this is the first time I taste this kind of drink. It taste like ginseng, but not as strong as that. Have a cup, Prince Lee Ho. Don't worry, it is safe from poison because I just taste it."

 

Sunggyu pour a cup of that drink to Lee Ho's cup, Myungsoo's and lastly to his cup. The water was so red in colour, and it so tempting for them to taste. Sunggyu, who was already taste a bit of the water, without doubtly, pour the content of his cup into his throat. Myungsoo follow him after that. And only after saw his two helpers finish their drinks, Lee Ho have a sip of the drink, and finish it later on. Yeah, it true to Sunggyu's words. The water was so delicious, it's like their first time tasting something as delicious as this.

 

"Ah, Myungsoo, that old lady also give me this note. She want you to share this drink with us, before she left me. Maybe to go home."

 

Myungsoo grab a piece of yellowish paper. 

 

"Myungsoo-nim, please share this drink with your friends. All of you has work hard, you should take a moment to rest."

 

What does grandmother meant? Why did she want me to take a rest? Ah, maybe she saw my dark circle getting bigger. What a thoughtful, grandma. He put the note in his pocket, because he think it was nothing to share with the other.

That was what Myungsoo think as they keep on feasting the food that the old lady make for them. And not to forget drink that water, until it was finish.

 

No, Myungsoo, no. You have make a big mistake by not showing it to the others. You have a weird brain, unlike them. You didn't know what kind of trouble you have put on yourself, and not to forget Sunggyu's and Lee Ho's, once all of you finish drink it.

 


 

 

A/N

 

I think it enough with this Joseon background time.

The next chapter would be the most hectic chapter I ever wrote. *sigh hundreds time*