Chapter 1

Le Portail (The Portal)

EARLY 1544

 

"전하( Your Highness ), the Royal Prince has come to meet you."

 

The King pull off his eye-glasses and heard his door being open by his men and there goes his first born son, Lee Ho coming with a worried expression. He kind of expected what his son going to tell him.

 

"I'm sorry for coming without informing you earlier, father."

"I forgive you. What makes you come from your 동궁(royal prince's palace) to my 경복궁 (main royal place) in this late of night?"

 

Lee Ho release a heavy sigh. He know it was too late, it's already past haesi (9 pm - 11 pm).

 

"I'm sorry if I disturb you, and if my question may make you feels hurt, father."

"Please talk."

"But I want to know about the progress of my brother's case."

 

"There is nothing for me to told you. I have seen nothing, or hear anything from my men."

"How about your 암행어사 ( secret royal inspector) ? It's been three days already. They should have found something. They are the best that you've got."

"They have found nothing. And I'm still wait for a word from my other bureau."

 

"We cannot wait any longer, father. Grand Prince's missing is not something that we can wait."

"I know! And I try really hard right now. He is my son too, Lee Ho. Now go back to your room!"

"But father!"

"I said go. Rest yourself. Your coronation ceremony is coming."

"I will not do that. Not until my brother was found!"

 

"And you gonna leave this empire unattended? You gonna make our people live without a leader? Grow up, Lee Ho. You are Royal Prince, and you gonna take my place in a week. Whether Lee Jong is here or not, the ceremony will still take place."

"But, father!"

"Nothing more. And I do hope that you won't do anything stupid."

 

Lee Ho released his heavy sigh before he moves his step, back to his room. The King look to his son's heavy step. I'm sorry, Ho. But I don't want to loss you too.

.

.

.

"I will go and look for my brother!"

"No, Lee Ho. If your father said that you have to stay, then stay you will be."

"Mother, he is my brother. My blood brother! I am willing to lose everything, instead of loss him."

 

Lee Ho once again speak his opinion. He thought about it all night long. Sacrified his sleep time, to find any possibilities for Lee Jong to missing. It's weird, because the night before he missing, Lee Ho and Lee Jong having a night feast together. Then the next morning, he heard that his brother was nowhere to be found. He looks to the Queen, and he could see that she shock a bit by his words.

 

"Look for him, but only after your ceremony, okay?"

"No! This thing need to do right now."

 

The Queen want to argue back, but stop as they heard from the servant, announcing the arrival of the King.

 

"Lee Ho, my son. Are you still thinking to investigate it?"

"Yes, father."

"I know how troubled your mind is. But as long as I'm still the King of Joseon, you have to do everything I said!"

 

"......"

"The royal tailor will come to you around shin si (3 pm-5 pm). Please be sure that you are in your room. That's all. And no leaving until I said so."

"Yes, father."

Lee Ho sigh as his parents leave his room. How could he get any excuses, for him to investigate about it?

.

.

.

Once his measurement was taken for his clothes, he was leave alone again. This time, the King has put several guards in front of his room. He said that it was for his own good sake. But actually father just want to keep an eye for my movement. He know that I will investigate about it, and abandoned the coronation ceremony.

 

Lee Ho and Lee Jong only 2 years apart. And because of that, they are really close to each other. They learn how to read together, how to properly hold their bow and how to be the best future king. Since they were a child, they have been told that one of them will be the king, so they should show their best quality. But a month ago, the King has choose Lee Ho for the next King. Lee Ho thought that his brother will get angry with that, but instead, the younger accept it.

 

"Hyung, you are the firstborn. So it must be weird if I suddenly will be crowning for the King."

 

He sigh again when he remember about it. Lee Jong was so pretty compared to Lee Ho. He was the soft spoken, only talk when needed. But Lee Ho was the opposite of him. He was manlier, and of course, his speech full of confident. No one got a chance to argue about it. And because of that, he was chosen as the new King.

 

"Hyung, whoever that will chosen as a King, can we promise that we gonna be like this again in the future?"

 

Lee Ho remember about a promise that they make before the announcement. Lee Jong want both of them to be in a good term for a long time.

 

Lee Jong, I will look for you! If father can't help me, I'll find my own way! Even I need to sacrifice everything, I will make sure that I will find you, alive!

 


 

 

A/N

 

Hey! So, first chapter up!!! ≧﹏≦. Hope it didn't make you bored already. Hehehe. Thanks for the subscribes and upvotes my story.

 

Psssttt, I saw some familiar names. Hope I didn't disappointed you with this story -_-!