Chapter 2

Le Portail (The Portal)

A/N

 

 

Oh, hi there! 👋👋👋. Sorry for the late update. I've just come out from jungle. *is it legal to use that excuse?* ㅋㅋㅋ. Sorry, and enjoy your long awaiting chapter.

 


 

 

The morning is as calm as before in the Sungkyunkwan. A figure  has make his step into one of the hall to have early study before the lectures start. But on his way, a little boy has come to meet him.

 

"Kim Sunggyu, you have got a visitor, at the north hall."

"Thanks, little boy."

 

Sunggyu pats the boy's head a little while showing his smile. Kim Sunggyu, a respected student. His name has been rumor as the next president of Student Council. Being the president, you have to be intelligence, either with the study or extracurriculum. And if you are the president of Student Council, it is easier for you to be assigned in the government.

 

Being born in a poor family, Sunggyu got no choice, but to study hard for his sick mother, and his younger sister. Living in the Joseon, where women are no less than the slave, Sunggyu want to change it. Thus, he need to enter Sungkyunkwan, be the best student, work in the government, and make his voice heard. So that, the discrimination among women will stop.

 

By the time his mind running, he already arrive at the north hall. He eyeing around the hall, try to find any person that he maybe know, but there is no one out there. Maybe she was waiting inside? Sunggyu expecting to see his mother or sister. But today is not the visiting day, so why I have a visitor. Slowly, he push the wooden door, and there lies a shadow of a man. A MAN??!

 

"Who are - "

 

Sunggyu stop asking as that man turn his head to face Sunggyu, and that right moment, he has keep his head down and kneel.

 

"Forgive me for being ignorance, Prince."

"It's okay, Scholar Sunggyu. Please stand up and keep your head up."

"How can I, a lowly servant, to have a gut to look to your eyes?"

"I'm here today not as your royal prince, but I'm here as someone who ask for your help."

 

Hearing that, Sunggyu looks up to meet with Lee Ho's eyes. Those determined eyes that makes Sunggyu lost his words.

 

.

.

.

 

"I can't do that, Royal Prince."

"You have to, Scholar Sunggyu. I've got no one, except you."

"No, Prince Lee Ho. If the king already disapproved it, on what reason I have to denied it."

"I'm begging you, Sunggyu. Please help me."

 

Sunggyu release a heavy sigh. He definitely won't help him, if he wasn't a prince. Someone with the right mind would not do something disgrace the king. You will either being shot, or your head being cut. Either way, you still have to die. And if I died, what about my family?!

 

"Allowances."

"Eh? I meant, what did you say?"

"Allowances. I will give you those. As much as government's detectives got. And I will provide anything your mother and your sister need."

"But, this is something that the King disapproved. If the King know about this, I will die."

"Only if my father know."

 

Sunggyu speechless. But Lee Ho know, that he need Sunggyu by his side. Kim Sunggyu, known for being the smartest student, but he also have a good relationship with everyone. 

 

"You are a clever scholar. You must have know what need to do so that this matter keep hidden."

"But..."

"Once we can solve this case, I will appoint you as the Chief of any department that you want. Don't forget that I will be crown as the King by the next week."

 

Sunggyu think for a moment. Big reward, but with big risks. He hasn't meet Crown Prince Lee Ho before this, but from the eyes, he know that Lee Ho need his help. Time goes by, when at the end, Sunggyu make up his mind.

 

"I will help you. But if I was find out, keep my family away from this trouble."

"Anything for you."

"What do I need to do for you, Crown Prince?"

"Use your intelligence. You will be my ears, eyes and brains."

 

.

.

.

 

THAT EVENING

 

"Royal Prince, Scholar Kim Sunggyu has come to visit you."

 

Lee Ho heards from his servant, announcing the arrival of Sunggyu. He kind of expecting him to come. Because from now, Sunggyu will act as his tutor. That will excuses Sunggyu from any Sungkyunkwan's activities, and that the scholar can focus more on his case.

He close his book, at the right moment the door being opened. There goes Kim Sunggyu with his green hanbok. 

 

"I've arrived, Royal Prince."

"That is good. Come. Have a seat. We should begin our study."

 

Right now?! Sunggyu look into Lee Ho. And the way Lee Ho reacts, looks like he can read Sunggyu's mind. And when he heard the door closed, only then he register why Lee Ho want to study right now. He just want his servant to go away from them. Sunggyu smile a bit, before he come closer to the brown wooden table.

 

"It's been 6 hours, since I appoint you this task. Have you got anything?"

"I have heard something. I've go to market, and try to find something at there. There is a talk from the people, that saying Prince Lee Jong has been hidden, until your coronation day."

"Why?"

"That--"

 

Lee Ho furrows his eyebrow when he saw that Sunggyu hesistant to tell him. The scholar do looks like he would die the right moment he talk about it.

 

"Tell me, Kim Sunggyu."

"It's just a rumor. Rumor can be false information too."

"It's okay. Just tell me."

"There's a word spreading about who the one that hide Prince Lee Jong. And-"

"And?"

"And---"

 

"Stop it, Kim Sunggyu, just tell me!"

"And they say it was all done by you, Crown Prince."

"What? But why should I kidnap my own brother?!"

"That's why I said rumor can be false information. They might misheard it."

 

"But there's must be a reason for them to say like that. And what that you heard more?"

"I heard that deep in the forest, outskirt of our town, there is someone that can help us."

"Who? A shaman?"

"No. It's someone that possess a greater power that shaman."

 

Lee Ho looks again to Sunggyu. You must have overuse your brain, until it makes you this crazy. But the scholar still with his determined expression. He motioned for Lee Ho to come closer.

 

"Rumor said that his glare could kill a person."

"Are you out of your mind? We are here to find people, not to kill!"

 

Lee Ho distant himself from Sunggyu. Hearing those words, it make Lee Ho think, if he did a good choice of choosing Sunggyu into his team.

 

"That's true, but we need to think of our safety too. I don't want to tell you this. But I've been followed by someone when I was at the market."

 

Then, what Sunggyu said is true. He didn't think that his safety is in danger. That's maybe because he is the Prince, but how about Sunggyu? Lee Ho then look to Sunggyu from the head to toes. I can take care of myself. But I don't think he can. His body looks like ahjussi type, and I wonder how he can walk with that body.

 

"Okay, then, we will go to him. Do you know where he lives? We will go tonight. After the guard fall asleep."

 

.

.

.

 

The sound of the owl, and with the sound of leaves that is blow by the wind, makes their journey scarier than it should be. Lee Ho keeps his eyes open, and looks wildly to their surrounding. He may have learn the self defense, but he never learn how to defend himself from the ghost.

 

He scream a bit, when suddenly they heard the the sound of the wolf. And when his eyes meet with Sunggyu's, he swallow his screams back. There is no sound made from both of them, only the scary sound, and the horseshoe. From afar, Lee Ho can see a tiny light come from the small house. Smaller than his bathroom.

 

"There is his house."

"Are you sure? More like a barn to me."

"Your highness, not everyone has a big house like yours."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Sunggyu."

 

By that time, they have already arrived in front of the house. Sunggyu and Lee Ho hop off from their house, but still holding into their horse's rope. Everything seems okay, with the exception that it was too dark, and too scary. But really, it's all fine to Lee Ho, until suddenly a strong wind come to them that makes their horse scared and run from its owner. No matter how loud Lee Ho and Sunggyu call for them, they still didn't stop and leave their owner.

 

"Who the hell are you?"

 

Gasp! Lee Ho and Sunggyu turn around to look who was talking to them. By the help of the moonlight, and a dim light, they could saw a man. A young man. With an intense glare. Eventhough there are not close with each other, and it's just not enough light for them to completely see that man, but still, Lee Ho and Sunggyu can sense danger, just from the voice tone, and the expression. 

 

"Why you didn't say that he is this scary?"

"I've never meet him, Crown Prince. And now, I regret for coming here."

 

Both of them just able to whisper those words, because they could die if that man heard about it. Perhaps, the rumor are true? If his glare could kill people, what will happen when he raised his blade? Lee Ho start to worry about his decision to come here late at night. 

 

"Answer me!"

 

Startled by that shout, Lee Ho try to speak a word.

 

"Ahh. W-well, th-that, that-"

"You can't speak well? Why did you speak like that?"

"Yah! Mind your words. He is our Crown Prince!" Sunggyu feels iritiated by the way that man talks. This mannerless bastard!

 

"Pfftt. Even our tax aren't enough for you to get treatment? And who the hell are you?"

"Who? Me? I'm Kim Sunggyu. The scholar from Sungkyunkwan."

"Your eyes. Is it open or what? Are you perhaps still sleeping?"

"Yah, this bastard!"

"Stop it, Sunggyu!"

 

Lee Ho try to stop Sunggyu from moving forward towards that guy. Well, what he said is true, but don't he has a manner? Because this is their first time meeting with each other.

Lee Ho find it difficult to talk with the man. The dark environment didn't help him. And so do their distant. Slowly, he come closer, with Sunggyu follow right behind. And strangely, there is a smell, and it is stronger as they getting closer. Step by step, until that man just a metre away from him, and it makes Lee Ho and Sunggyu realised, that that man was DRUNK!

 

"Aigooo, the smell!"

"Yah, man with-no-eyes! Why are you close your nose?!"

"Because of your rice wine's smell, you no-manner-man!"

"Stop it, Sunggyu. Don't bite the bait. He was too drunk. It's useless to talk to him right."

 

Lee Ho comes forward and tap on that man's shoulder.

 

"What's your name?"

"Myungsoo."

"Then, Myungsoo, I have something to ask to you. But we can only talk about it, once you in your right mind. So, let's talk about it later."

"Tell me. I'm not that drunk. It's just some bastard that have pour his rice wine on my clothes. Come in."

.

.

"And what do I get for helping you, Prince Lee Ho?"

"Anything. Anything that you want."

 

Lee Ho once again inform Myungsoo about his reward. They are now inside Myungsoo's house. A typical house, with a bedroom and living hall. It is not as big to called as a hall, but it still can fit about five people, in the same space. Sunggyu keep his tongue hidden since they enter the house. Maybe he already sleepy, or maybe he just too tired to talk, after all the 'fight' he had with Myungsoo.

 

"Regardless of the outcomes?"

"What did you meant?"

"Well. There is a possibility, that Prince Lee Jong could be find. But there is a possibility too, that we couldn't find him. Then, will the prize change according to the result?"

 

There is a heavy sigh coming from Lee Ho. To thinks that maybe he couldn't see his younger brother, his heart feels a pain. But, there's still a hope that he can find a positive feedback.

 

"Yes. No matter what happen, you will get what I've promised. Now, will you join me, or not?"

"Okay, Prince Lee Ho."

"And how about you, Sunggyu?"

"I've already take an oath to help you, Crown Prince. And I will not take my words back."

 

Lee Ho smile when he heard Sunggyu said his promise again. With the help of these two men, Lee Ho hopes, that he can find an answer for what happen to his brother. Lee Jong-ah, wait just a little bit more. Hyung will find you!