Chapter 9

The Puppet King

The guards had been instructed not to let anyone into the cell.

After all, this was a prisoner of treason, the worst of all kind, one who had threatened to either kill or usurp the king.  Letting him go would be an act of treason themselves, letting anyone to see the man, hell, that small action would mean death.

And yet, neither men could resist the beautiful angel that seemed to float into the dark, damp cellars, relieving them of their misery with bottles of wine.

“You missed the feast.” It had spoken and given them the most radiant of smiles. “I brought you some gifts for your hard work—it must be tough being down here all alone.”

Ah, someone who finally understood. It was as if the sun had peeked its way through the cement walls which not a crack could be seen in.  Graciously accepting the gifts, the guards merely exchanged cheers with each other and taken a sip, their lips curling into bright smiles as they eyed their guardian angel affectionately. In moments, they were out cold.

The room seemed to return to normal then, the light receding as the smile on Luhan’s face seemed to vanish and the boy stepped dutifully forward, determined to accomplish his goal. The jail was not a pleasing place to be in, and Luhan wondered, in horror, how any human being could be kept in conditions like this. Leaning down, the duke carefully retrieved the keys to Jongdae’s cell from one of the sleeping guards before heading down the short hallway which led to Jongdae’s cell. Quickly, the duke unlocked the poor jester’s cell and in moments the door burst open, causing the jester inside to scramble back, surprised.

“Is it my time to die already?” Jongdae croaked out, eyes tired from time spent in the windowless room, with nothing but silence which, as true with humans, eventually begins to each its way through one’s soul. There was a moment of silence in which Luhan merely stared at Jongdae, waiting for the other to show any sort of recognition, but there seemed to be nothing in the man’s soul, for he had been ready to die. The moment he had been thrown into the cell, he had accepted his fate. What a poor fate for one whose main job was to entertain.

“Come on.” Luhan finally spoke, extending a hand which the other male took, suspicious. “I’m getting you out of here.”

And there was the soft flicker of recognition as Jongdae pulled himself to his feet, allowing Luhan to lead him quietly out of the cell. “Luhan.” He murmured softly as Luhan pulled the jester into his room, making sure to stay out of the way of any maids who were a little too curious. “The duke.”

“You asked me for a kiss yesterday.” Luhan simply replied, causing Jongdae to laugh mirthlessly.

“I thought it would be a funny joke. Too bad Sehun didn’t like it.”

“They said that documents were found against you.” Luhan raised an eyebrow, fluttering to close the door “I doubt Sehun would imprison you for a mere joke. Anywho, I’m getting you out of here anyways.”

“Ever since Damian arrived, the king will do anything.” Jongdae merely murmured darkly before he raised an eyebrow at Luhan’s second words, staring at the duke who flitted around the room, packing a backpack for the jester as he moved to find some new, less ragged clothes and a cloak.

“Anything hm?” Luhan merely murmured, suddenly distracted by Jongdae’s words as he threw the jester a new change of clothes. “Why?”

“Damian was very good at manipulating the young king when he first arrived, I was told.” Jongdae responded, not paying attention as he stripped, shoving on new clothes “The king was broken from heartbreak—“ Luhan visibly tensed, “And Damian took him under his wing. Many thought Damian would guide the king and the kingdom in a positive direction, but instead we are here.” Jongdae let out a mirthless laugh, swinging the cloak around his shoulders. “And you know why I was arrested? Because I found proof that greedy snitch had been stealing money from the treasury and pillaging towns as well as killing people without even the king’s approval, not that it counts for much anyways.”

“How did Damian find out?” Luhan threw the other the pack, heading for the door as the other slung it over his back.

“He has his network of spies.” Jongdae paused, looking troubled as he gazed at the young duke who held the door open for him. “I would have accused you of being one had you not saved me. Be careful, Lu Han. Anyone could be under Damian’s control. I was for a time, but I broke free. I wasn’t arrested then only because he had nothing on me. But I suppose it was a slip of the fingers, leaving those documents present which documented his nature.”

“Do you have them now?” Luhan jolted forward, suddenly eager, eyes shining. “I may be able to stop Damian if you have them.”

“He took them back, sadly.” Jongdae sighed, shaking his head. “However if it’s anyone who could do it, I think it would be you. I should be off now. And I will ask you this once and only once. If Sehun finds out what you have done, he will kill you. Will you not come with me?”

A shake of his head. “My job here is not done.” Luhan smiled sadly at the almost pained look in the jester’s eyes. One of a jester who knew he was sentencing a duke to his death. “The money will get you far away from here. Now go.” With a wave of his hand, Jongdae set off, hood over his head as he moved down the hallway of the castle, slipping into the night. Not before, however, one final turn and one final smile as he murmured a soft. “One day, I will come back for that kiss.”

A gesture of friendship.

Luhan needed friends in this castle. Even if they were no longer present in the castle. He merely smiled, holding his hand up as he watched the jester disappear down the hallway.

He wished him well. 


AN: Yes it's been one month, yes, i apologize. ;; i've been very busy with school but since now it's summer updates should come much quicker. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! i missed writing this, honestly ;;