Chapter 15

The Puppet King

They had been so young when they had met, but they had loved each other as much as a pair that had known each other for years. Perhaps that was because they were young and because their hearts were still searching, searching for someone who fill in the gap. They had found each other of course, and lying under the giant oak tree, Luhan was glad he had found the other.

“Promise you’ll stay with me forever?” Sehun’s murmured in his ears and Luhan smiled at the words, the reply slipping easily from his lips.

“Promise.”

“Is he going to be okay Yixing?” The soft and familiar voice seemed to wake Luhan out of his dreamlike state, and the boy merely let out a groan, eyes fluttering.

“He seems to be fine. Look, he’s waking up now. Wait—Sehun don’t--” Another voice seemed to utter and Luhan’s eyes flickered open finally. For a moment, all he could see was brightness, then his eyes seemed to adjust.

Instantly, he found himself face to face with a strange scene. There was Sehun with a look of almost panic on his face as he attempted to exit the room, with an almost irritated Yixing holding him back. “Um—“ was all he could utter as Yixing continued to struggle with Sehun before both turned to look at the dazed duke.

“Oh, Luhan, you’re awake.” Yixing’s lips seemed to curl into a smile and with a grin he pulled himself away from Sehun, dashing for the door.

“What happened?”

“Oh, many things.” Yixing seemed to be in a hurry. “Sehun will fill you in on everything okay? I have some business to take care of.” With that, he was gone, leaving the two former lovers staring at each other, neither knowing what to say. For a moment, silence prevailed, then Luhan tilted his head, murmuring.

“So what happened?”

“Oh uh—“ Sehun cleared his throat awkwardly, shifting on his feet “Well, luckily I got there in time to make sure you weren’t killed. The gash in your arm was bleeding pretty heavily though you seemed determine to keep fighting till the last moment. Clearly you weren’t in a good state of mind. And there were some blows that you took but those will just manifest in bruises.”

Luhan nodded though a certain phrase seemed to catch his ear and he snapped in return, eyes suddenly narrowing “Excuse me? I—wasn’t in the right state of mind?”

Instantly, Sehun seemed to shift, face dropping as he murmured “Oh yeah—I’m sorry about that. I—didn’t mean to say what I did. I really hope you can forgive me for it.”

Luhan liked talking to Sehun like this. There was no formalities, no pretty words. It was merely Luhan and Sehun. Sehun and Luhan. “I forgive you I guess. But how could you say that? I can’t show my face to anyone for the next month, really.”

“Look, I had a reason for saying it.” Sehun suddenly seemed fired up as he frowned “You left me six years ago out of the blue and yes, I’m still bitter about it. It’s kind of hard not to be bitter when the love of my life left me randomly.”

Luhan’s heart seemed to skip a beat at the other’s words though the duke huffed, moving to a sitting position though his head seemed to spin slightly. “Excuse me? Who the hell left you out of the blue?”

“You did, frankly?”

“Are you ting me? I sent you letters. I sent you dozens, no, hundreds of letters and I don’t get one response back.”

“What it with these letters?! I received no letters from you!”

Sehun’s words caught Luhan off guard for a moment and he stared at the king, eyes wide. “No…letters? I sent so many of them.” For a moment it felt as if something had clicked back into place for Luhan.  The king hadn’t been ignoring him, had it not been Sehun who had broke things off between them?

“You think I’d not reply to the letters if I received them?”

“I—“ Luhan paused, and for a moment he gazed at Sehun, helplessly “So did we lose each other because of a mistake?”

“Perhaps,” Sehun’s face seemed to soften as he murmured softly “So tell me then, why did you leave?”

Luhan sighed, closing his eyes for a moment before he began. It was a story he had told so many times to so many people already. “My father got sick. He couldn’t manage his estate by himself and I was his heir. Naturally, I had to go home immediately. Then, he passed away and after he died I had to stay to manage, the state of things of course.” Luhan nodded, pursing his lips softly as he looked away “I never wanted to leave. But I thought you would understand.” There was more of course, more of a reason why he left, but this was not the time to tell Sehun, Luhan still didn’t trust him enough to tell him everything.

“And now that I know, I do.” Sehun nodded, and awkwardly, he moved to take a seat on the bed, mouth opening though no words came out for a moment “I have no grudge to hold against you anymore now I suppose, you have to forgive me for everything that I’ve done to you.”

“I forgive you.” A small smile seemed to grace Luhan’s lips. It was so easy to forgive Sehun who sounded so genuine. “So—are we, what, friends now?” They were too different now after six years to get back together. Luhan didn’t know this Sehun and Luhan himself had changed so much already as well. It was best to start as friends again then progress from there. Yes, Luhan’s heart still ached for Sehun, but they were strangers to each other now. They needed to connect again. But it seemed to be enough for Sehun as of now, for the king seemed to smile and with ease took Luhan’s hands.

“Yes, friends.”

For now, it would be enough.


AN: Enjoy c: If you like the chapter I'd definitely appreciate a subscribe, comment, or upvote!