Chapter 17

The Puppet King

AN: It's been a while. School has been a nightmare. I'll try to write more when I can, enjoy!


“Luhan.” The soft words caused Luhan’s to lift his head. He had been divulging himself in a book to the best of his ability, however the thoughts of the previous conversation with Sehun had still plagued him. He had assumed they were friends enough so that Sehun would trust him again, but it seemed as though the king’s heart was not so easy to breach as he had hoped. He had seen a flash of the old Sehun, yes, but it was not enough to say that the old sehun was back. He had not gained the king’s trust, perhaps he had even lost more of it now. It was worrisome.

“Hello Jongin.” Raising his head, the duke found himself staring into a familiar pair of dark brown eyes. Clad in combat clothing, Luhan couldn’t deny that Jongin was quite handsome with his sharp, defined features. He should have been immensely attracted. But instead he found his heart strangely still. Somehow, he knew Jongin would not satisfy the ache in his heart.

“You have this vacant look in your eyes that I used to hold when I was in my studies. Your body is here but your mind physically is somewhere else.” Carefully, Jongin lowered himself down beside Luhan, tipping his head as his eyes searched the duke’s for answers. “Care to explain what is on your mind?”

For a moment Luhan hesitated, but Jongin had been a friend as no one else had. And Jongin didn’t seem like the type to tell his secrets. He was an ally, after all he and Luhan did want the same thing, to make the country great again. “I have my suspicions about some that are running the court. And by running I mean running it into the ground.”

“Careful what you say Luhan.” Jongin smiled however, and there was a twitch on his lips that betrayed his true feelings. Luhan knew he had a friend he could trust in Jongin, and that Jongin had similar misgivings, but he was right. No one knew who was listening and so Luhan had to be careful the words that slipped from his tongue, for someone might be kind enough to stab him through the heart for his words.

“You’re right. My apologies. The King and Damian have done well with the country. I would like to learn and follow from their example.”

“Oh?” Jongin leaned forward, a playful grin curling on his lips. “And you think Damian would be too busy to teach you do you not? And he is not here yes, he is back at the palace managing finances.” ah yes, Jongin knew exactly what was going through Luhan’s mind. The two seemed to understand each other, or observe in a similar manner. Or perhaps it had become obvious, perhaps many had these kinds of thoughts but were too afraid to say it.

“Yes I greatly admire him, but I do not wish to bother him. Perhaps—you can show me to his rooms so I can borrow a few oh, books?”

“Why gladly.” With that, Jongin rose, and with a flap of his cloak he was gone, merely waiting for Luhan to follow in his footsteps.

--

Damian’s room was probably more luxurious than Luhan imagined the king’s to be. Perhaps that was the first sign. But through the scattered papers, he and Jongin dug, silent. There was something intimate about this task, something that warranted no speech from the seriousness of their task as well as the high treason that they were committing. Pulling out a crumpled piece of paper from the stacks and stacks of papers on Damian’s desk, meticulously arranged but not put away, sharp eyes scanned over the text before there was a murmur of.

“Transactions. Acts of bribery. Right here. Spies of other nations, known supporters of other nations, all the transactions are here. Do you know anyone that our lovely minister has not bribed?”

Jongin merely looked up at that. “Those he does not bribe he kills. So I suppose the only one I would know of who he hasn’t killed outright and left his seal and some silly excuse is—you.” And Jongin. Luhan thought to himself silently. Though he had been much stealthier about his dislike to the financial minister.

“Let’s get the papers and go.” Luhan merely muttered, pocketing the papers as Jongin pocketed the own papers that he found. The two moved to step towards the door—footsteps. “Sir, the lock is picked. Someone has clearly broken into Lord Damian’s rooms.”

Freeze. Not a breath. Not one movement.

“Shall we go in and investigate? The perpetrators might still be there—“

“Damian said specifically not to enter his rooms. We cannot disobey a lord. However, he did tell us someone to contact if something like this happened. Please notify Duke—“ The name slipped from Luhan’s ears, almost tickling at them playfully because he was sure he was so close to hearing that name, one of Damian’s allies. But instead, he was left with frustration, and a sense of relief. For the footsteps faded and with that, Luhan merely shared a glance with Jongin before the other uttered a low “We best not be seen together. Let me take the papers. They’ll be safer with me. Good luck, Duke Luhan.” And with that, he exited the room, almost as if he had never been there in the first place.