Chapter 12

The Puppet King

Luhan’s happy thoughts were banished instantly though with the sight of the countryside. The first moment the traveling court reached the first village, they were surrounded by children. Children in rag tag clothing, hands outstretched and eyes wide. Boys and girls, covered in dirt.

“Please miss, my family needs to eat could you spare some coin?”

“Sir, sir, please, anything you can spare will do us well.”

“I don’t usually beg miss, but my mother’s horribly sick, please—“

And then the crying began and Luhan could feel his heart wrench. Swallowing, he moved to reach for the pouch of coins in his pocket, leaning down to hand each child a fat, gold coin.

“Thank you mister!” A girl he handed the coin stared at it as if she hadn’t seen it before a wide smile spread over her face for a moment. “My mother, I’m sure she’ll get better soon!” As she scampered down the line, Luhan could feel his eyes fixed on the girl’s smile.

“One gold coin can supply a family for a week.”  Jongin’s voice brought Luhan’s attention to the other. The boy was handing out coins as well, though he spoke to Luhan. A sad smile was fixed on the other’s face as he handed a boy a gold coin, the boy seeming to burst into tears at the sight of the coin. “It’s sad, isn’t it?”

“Sehun doesn’t see this?” Luhan frowned, fingers moving to his coat to grab more coins, handing it to each beggar he saw.

Jongin laughed hollowly. “Does Sehun see anything?”

Luhan was silent for a moment, pausing as he looked back. The king still road in his carriage, the blinds pulled shut and Luhan could see the horseman slapping the whip around him, causing those who begged around him to scatter. Turning again, the duke merely fixed his eyes forward, not able to answer Jongin’s question as he continued to silently hand out the coins. All around him, there were children begging, building’s falling apart.

Jongin eventually voiced his fears. “Does Sehun see anything?”

--

It disgusted Luhan with how grand the summer palace was. Forty feet high, the castle loomed over the country-side, glowing a pristine white. Living in this castle meant riches, royalty and luxury. It was disgusting. Setting his horse in the stables, the duke could barely look at the clean walls around him as he strode down the hall to find his rooms. He could already hear the giggle of the mistresses and Sehun’s deep laugh as he headed to the throne room, probably to have a good time together.

How could they do this when there were people dying around them? Luhan didn’t know.

Finally reaching his assigned room, Luhan pushed his way through the doors quickly, not wanting to see any more of the luxury around him. Luckily his room was simple. A dresser, a queen sized bed, and a dresser. It was simple, quaint, for his to decorate and Luhan quickly got to work unpacking what little he brought. All the while, his mind swirled. His job was harder than he had thought, somehow he had to make Sehun see. He assumed the other knew, but Damian merely manipulated him so he didn’t care, but the fact that Sehun knew nothing made it even more troublesome. And why would Sehun want to see with all that he had? Luhan knew he had a good heart, but Sehun was used to the life of luxury, he didn’t know if the other was willing to break his back to make things better.

“Luhan.”

Yixing’s voice snapped Luhan out of his thoughts and the boy ran to quickly get the door. Yixing stood there, Yifan at his side, both of them donning clothes much more formal than usual. At the sight of Luhan, Yixing’s lips curled into a smile as he punched Yifan gently. “I told you he didn’t know.”

“Didn’t know what?” Luhan frowned, crossing his arms as he looked at the other’s “Is there a special event going on or something.”

“Sehun’s throwing a feast. I thought everyone knew, he does this every year he comes here. He invites all the nobles of the region. You better get dressed Luhan, or at least, better dressed, the party’s in less than an hour.”

Luhan thought he was going to be sick.


AN: Sorry for the late update guys, I've been busy the past three days. Friday which is when i usually update I went cherry picking, Saturday was Fourth of July, and then it was my birthday so I've been busy. Anyways, the chapter. It's pretty filler, but I promise, the true fun starts next chapter.