Day 16

Coffee Shop

Daehyun was sitting on his armchair, pressing hard his digits against his temples looking for some inspiration that seemed to be hidden. It was his habit when he couldn’t concentrate to frown deeply and press his temples until it hurt. It usually worked, but not this time. His mind just couldn’t stop wandering off. The fact that his boss was on her office a few meters away from him didn’t help either. He would always end up focusing on the background noise to try to catch her voice. He sighed out of pure frustration. He had been trying to write the same sentence for fifteen minutes now. Also the deadline for his part of the project was in less than two weeks and he was starting to worry since he didn’t even have the half done.

He shifted on his seat and breathed deeply, closing his eyes to try to empty his mind. He needed to relax in order to work properly, so he finally decided to put aside the documents he was working on and took a piece of paper from his notebook. He tilted his head and hesitantly started to make a paper crane. Surprisingly he remembered how to do it. Fresh memories from the day before flashed on his mind making his cheeks feel hot. Watching his own hands he remembered Youngjae’s ones skilfully traveling all over the piece of paper and gently guiding his own ones... He shook his head and buried the embarrassing memories trying to focus only on folding the paper correctly.

The fact that he enjoyed the skinship with the latter and even unconsciously initiated it was torturing him. First of all, the barista wasn’t a close friend, so the touch should feel awkward, not pleasant. He neither felt that needy nor craved for affection. The only possible explanation was that he felt sad and confused at that moment and the latter is a friendly and kind person. Maybe it was the barista’s fault for being too nice.

He stopped the flow of his thoughts once the paper crane was finished. It wasn’t perfect but it was still beautiful. He proudly placed it on top of his laptop and brought his documents back to resume his work, this time feeling more relaxed and optimist. He successfully focused on the project and finally could make some progress.

One hour later his phone’s buzzing broke off his concentration. He jumped a little, startled by the noise, and took the device to stop the buzzing. It was an alarm to remind him he had to meet with Himchan at 3pm. He inwardly thanked himself for setting the alarm and started to clean his desk. He put his notebook and his wallet on his backpack and cleaned up his food’s leftovers, throwing them into the trash can.

Just then he acknowledged someone standing beside him. “Are you meeting with Kim Himchan today?” He glanced to his left and saw Jinki playing absently with the paper crane. He was wearing an amused smile, like a child with a new toy.

Daehyun nodded grinning. “I was about to leave” he said buttoning his coat.

Jinki turned to face him and patted his shoulder with an encouraging smile. “Fighting. You’ll make it today, I’m sure.”

Daehyun squeezed the latter’s arm in return and began to walk towards the elevators. “By the way, keep the paper crane if you want” he said turning around. The latter showed a wide smile and nodded giving him a thumbs up.

When Daehyun reached the street he checked again on his phone the address that Himchan had sent him. He was supposed to go to Lotte World, an amusement park placed not so far from his workplace. Nonetheless, he wasn’t quite sure of how to get there. He had looked for the exact location on Google maps and more or less he knew which way he should take. It was frustrating to live in a city that you don’t really know. Back in Busan everything was easier since the city was smaller and less busy.

He shoved his hands on his coat’s pockets and started to walk towards his destination after adjusting his earphones. The music quickly filled his ears making him smile unconsciously. The worst thing about listening to music in public was that he couldn’t sing the songs out loud as he did at home. He liked singing, actually he loved singing, and he has always been told that he is good at it. He made his first girlfriend fall for him when he sang a famous ballad for her, and he was only fourteen years old. He also won a few contests back in high school. But now he was kind of embarrassed of singing in front of people who wasn’t his family or childhood friends.

When he had walked for about ten minutes he realized he was taking the wrong direction. Not quite the wrong direction, but one that took longer. He was so distracted picturing himself as a singer and remembering the old times that he didn’t realized where he was going. He stopped on his tracks and looked around him. He was walking towards Youngjae’s coffee shop. He facepalmed and hesitated on what to do. He was so used to go there for their meetings that his feet had lead him there unwittingly. He checked the time and he had almost an hour to get to the place, plus Himchan would be probably late, so he finally decided to resume his tracks taking that way even if it was longer.

Youngjae’s shift ends about 2 pm, if I’m quickly I can catch him.’

Wait, I don’t have time to waste. If he’s there I’ll say hello and go right away.

He debated with himself until he got to the café’s street. He continued walking and gradually he distinguished two familiar figures carrying a huge object, probably a refrigerator. One of them was definitely Junhong, that height and that dyed hair were distinctive. And the other seemed to be Youngjae, wearing casual clothes. His lips curled into an amused smile and his steps sped up until he was a few meters away from them.

“Junhong, for once in your life make an effort, would you?” said Youngjae between pants. “We haven’t moved even an inch for the last two minutes!”

“I’m doing my best! You are the useless one here!” replied the younger with difficulty.

“Seriously, rascal, if I wasn’t carrying this thing you’d be dead by now.”

Daehyun contained a chuckle. He liked this Youngjae, blunt and sassy. It was probably his natural personality. He slowly placed himself beside the barista and helped him to lift the refrigerator. The latter looked at him startled but relieved when he recognised the brunet. “Daehyun?” he asked in disbelief.

“Need help, princess?” he answered teasingly.

The barista frowned and contained his pants. “Who are you calling princess?”

The brunet laughed. “Where are you going with this thing?” he asked.

“Inside” replied the barista trying to catch his breathe.

“What’s happening there?” asked the youngest since his sight was blocked by the refrigerator and he couldn’t see Daehyun. “Youngjae, are you turning into Hulk? cause you suddenly seem a lot stronger.”

“Move forward already! Daehyun’s helping us” he explained angrily.

“Hey! Hi, Daehyun, how are you?” greeted the youngest cheerily.

“Fine” replied the brunet feeling a little bit strange talking with someone with a huge refrigerator separating them.

“Choi freaking Junhong, MOVE!” shouted the barista with a cracked voice. The brunet glanced at him and saw that his arms where trembling because of the effort.

The young barista didn’t say anything else and started to move. The worst part was moving the huge object through the door, but in less than ten minutes they could place the refrigerator on the little kitchen. After the effort the three of them were panting and sitting tiredly anywhere to regain some strength.

Daehyun was sitting next to the barista and observed that his arms were still trembling. He caught some air and grabbed gently the latter’s wrist to stop the shaking. “Are you alright?” he asked concerned.

Youngjae fixed his eyes on Daehyun’s a little bit flustered, and eventually looked down at his limbs, trying to control the trembling fruitlessly. “Yeah. Well, it hurts a little, but I’ll be fine in a while” he replied smiling sheepishly.

“Someone needs urgently to go to the gym” said Junhong teasingly.

The barista shoot a withering look at his friend but didn’t say anything in response. Instead he turned to face the brunet. “What are you doing here, Daehyun? Are you meeting with Himchan?” he asked curiously.

Daehyun turned pale and suddenly stood up startling the latter. “! I forgot about Himchan.”

The both baristas gave him a questioning look. “What happens?” asked Junhong.

“I have to meet with him on the amusement park and I’ll be late” he explained taking his backpack ready to leave.

Junhong smirked wiggling his eyebrows. “A date, huh?”

Youngjae rolled his eyes and stood up too. “Don’t worry, it’s near from here” he said shooting a reassuring smile at the brunet.

Daehyun nodded. “I’ll be going, then. See you.”

The two friends bided him goodbye and observed him as he was going. “Jae… isn’t he taking the opposite direction?” asked the younger unsure.

The barista widened his eyes at the sudden realization. “.” He quickly started to run to catch the brunet before he would be out of sight.

“Daehyun!” he shouted, but the elder was wearing his earphones and couldn’t hear him. He clicked his tongue frustrated and quickly approached the latter, running like he was chasing a thief.

When the brunet felt someone tapping his shoulder he stopped on his tracks and turned around, surprised to see the barista. He was panting. “Youngjae?” he removed his earphones. “What’s the matter?” he asked worriedly.

Youngjae took a deep breathe to regain some air. “You are taking the opposite way” he explained.

The latter widened his eyes. “Really?”

Youngjae hummed. “Don’t tell me you don’t know how to get there.”

“I’m not quite sure, to be honest” admitted the brunet scratching his nape.

The barista sighed tiredly. “You should have said it before. C’mon, I’ll walk you there.”

The brunet shook his head furiously. “No way I’m making you waste your time like that. Just tell me how to go.”

Youngjae gabbed the latter’s arm and started to walk dragging him. “I have nothing better to do anyway. Plus, I want to see Himchan” he said.

Daehyun tried to put up a fight, but the grip on his arm was strong in spite of the latter’s trembling limbs. “Okay, okay, stop dragging me around” he said defeated. “Youngjae, your arms are still shaking” he pointed out worriedly.

The younger drew his hand back and continued walking ignoring the trembling. “It’s ok” he assured.  They reached the main door of the shop in a few seconds and Youngjae opened it sticking his head inside. “Junhong, I’m going with Daehyun, ok?” he announced.

The youngest quickly ran to meet his friend with a visibly disappointed look on his face. “What? But Hyosung hasn’t arrived yet, are you going to leave me here alone?” he complained trying to pout cutely.

“Yes. And quit trying to persuade me with that lame pout of yours” replied the latter nonchalantly.

Junhong narrowed his eyes. “You are the worst friend ever.” Then he suddenly closed the door on Youngjae’s face and stuck his tongue out.

Daehyun couldn’t control his laughter anymore and cracked up shamelessly. The barista looked at him flustered and quickly averted his eyes turning around to start walking. “You two are too funny” said the latter catching up his friend. “You look close, I’m envious.”

Youngjae glanced at him and snorted. “Junhong’s not my friend, he’s just I brat I have to deal with” he said annoyed. But after making a pause his expression softened. “But yeah, I guess we are pretty close” he admitted. Daehyun grinned at the latter’s confession, who spoke again to hide his embarrassment. “It’s funny cause the other day I felt kind of jealous of your relationship with Jongup.”

Daehyun looked at him surprised.  “Really? I’m not that close to Jongup, to be honest.”

The barista hummed. “I don’t know, you seemed brighter and more natural with him” he said shrugging.

“Well, he’s definitely my closest friend here in Seoul” said the brunet. “But you should consider yourself lucky because I’m not very approachable and here we are” he explained.

Youngjae snorted. “Same goes to you. I don’t consider myself an unfriendly person, but for some reason I hate most of the people I meet.”

Daehyun laughed. “I’m sorry to point this out, but that means you do are unfriendly.”

“What? I’m the nicest person ever” complained the barista frowning.

“That’s kind of true. I guess your mouth doesn’t match your acts.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” asked Youngjae in a whiny tone.

Daehyun looked at him and smiled amused. “You are nice but what you say is not nice.”

“You called me princess before, but I see that you are the only princess here. Don’t worry I’ll treat you accordingly from now on, your majesty” said the barista trying to control his laughter fruitlessly.

Daehyun laughed too. He felt like a dork since their conversation was stupid, but somehow that laugh had been the most healing one in a while. He casted a glance at his surroundings to find that he had no idea of where they were, so he internally wished for Youngjae to be taking the right way.

“You are from Busan, don’t you?” The question brought the brunet back to reality.

He hummed. “Yes, is my accent that obvious?”

“Well, at first I couldn’t really tell, but now you use it shamelessly, so yep, it’s obvious” he explained amused.

The brunet shot a smug smile at the latter. “Hey, thank me for using it. That means I’m being natural and honest with you.”

Youngjae rolled his eyes and ignored his friend. “And why did you come here?” he asked.

Daehyun let out a short sigh. “Work. They offered me a nice job here so I came right away.”

The barista hummed. “And you like living here?”

The brunet clicked his tongue. “At first I really liked it because everything was new and exciting, but now I really feel out of place. All my childhood friends and my family are in Busan plus I don’t really know Seoul. I wanted to do some sightseeing but I haven’t had that much time, so I don’t even know the city I live in” he explained with a dull smile.

Youngjae pursed his lips. “That has to change” he stated. “Whenever you are free we can go to do some sightseeing or whatever.

Daehyun smiled at him. “That’s the same thing that Jongup has been telling me for the past two months, but thank you” he said.

“But this time will be for sure. I’m always free anyways.”

“I don’t think so, also you don’t have to waste your time in something like that, really. Anyway, thank you, I appreciate it” he thanked with a wide smile.

The barista sighed and pouted slightly but didn’t say anything else. Daehyun suddenly felt guilty. ‘Maybe I sounded too harsh?

“In three weeks or so I’ll be free…” hesitantly said the brunet. “Maybe we can go then.”

“Hey, don’t make this look like you are doing me a favour” joked Youngjae.

“Okay, I’m sorry” apologised the latter. “Thank you” he muttered, but the barista couldn’t hear him. They walked in silence for a few moments.

“We are almost here” commented Youngjae.

The brunet could hear the faint sounds of the amusement park. “I don’t know why did Himchan chose that place to meet, but I hope he doesn’t want to go on a ride.”

Youngjae chuckled. “I don’t think he wants to. You don’t like amusement parks?”

“I think I didn’t like them even when I was a child” admitted the latter. “Do you like those kinds of places?”

“Well, I don’t dislike them. I mean, you can buy cotton candy in there.”

“Wow, that’s cute” blurted Daehyun.

The barista gaped at him and quickly averted his gaze. “Cute? I’m 22 years old, I stopped being cute a long time ago” he complained a little bit annoyed.

“Cuteness has nothing to do with age. Also it’s a compliment, you should say ‘thank you’ and accept it” teased the elder.

“But I’m not cute, I’m a 100% made of hardcore manliness.”

The brunet contained his laughter. “I’d say 50% hardcore manliness and 50% cotton candy.”

The younger was about to reply when they heard a cough behind them. The both of them turned around to find Himchan standing there with his arms crossed on his chest, wearing his sunglasses and giving them a dull expression.

“You are late” complained the eldest.

 


Helloooooooooo, how have you been <3

First of all I want to apologize cause I'm late again. I had some personal issues, but now everything is solved YAY “ヽ(´▽`)ノ”

Secondly I apologize too because this chap is craaaaaappy, I'm so sorry ;___;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QA3m58DQw

Thank you for subscribing, commenting and upvoting, you are all awesome, and i love you, really (✿´‿`)

HAAVEEE A NIICEEE WEEK (❁´▽`❁)*✲゚*