Day 26

Coffee Shop

“C’mon, Daehyun, you’ll look awesome whatever you wear.”

The brunet heard Jongup shouting from the other side of the door. He knew he was taking too much time just to get dressed, but for him the looks were really important. He had already decided to wear a pair of skinny jeans, but on top he couldn’t choose between a beige knitted sweater and a white tee with a blue cardigan. He ran his fingers through his wet hair and sighed. Normally it wouldn’t take him so much time to get ready, but today they were going clubbing and he wanted to impress everybody.

“Junhong and Youngjae are already waiting for us, hurry up.” Jongup rushed his friend.

Daehyun snorted and opened the door letting his friend enter the bedroom in spite of the mess and the fact that he was half . “Help me then to decide” he said pointing at the clothes spread all over the bed.

“You are not getting married, you know?” teased the younger.

The brunet frowned and ignored his friend. “Blue cardigan or sweater?”

“I don’t know… mm, sweater.”

“Okay, thank you.” Daehyun put on the sweater and started to messily shove the remaining clothes in his wardrobe.

“Oh, by the way, how’s everything going with your boss?” asked Jongup sitting on the bed while his friend finished getting ready.

Daehyun hesitated. “Hmm, I don’t really know. I think I almost got over it, but she behaves really strangely when I’m around.”

“Strangely?” asked the younger.

“Well, she avoids me and when we talk she never looks directly to my eyes. Also I’ve caught her a few times staring at me. I can’t tell if she hates me or she still loves me” he explained.

Jongup scratched his chin. “Hmm, I’d say she hates you, but anyway, I’m happy you are getting over it” he said grinning.

“Thank you, I’m happy too.”

“You know, when you recover quickly from a break up it’s because you are falling in love with someone else” said the latter raising his brow. “Do you have a secret crush?”

“No” the brunet simply replied nonchalantly.

“That means yes. Who is she? C’mon, you can trust me” insisted Jongup.

“Really, I don’t like anyone right now” he explained sighing.

“Is that so? Maybe you are falling in love without even realizing it” he suggested.

The brunet shook his head and ignored his friend implication. It was impossible because the only person who he was getting close with lately was Youngjae. Plus they hadn’t seen each other for a week nor texted. He tried to think of anybody else but he couldn’t. For the past two weeks he had been working so much he could sleep only three hours per day, and he had been interacting only with his colleagues, especially with Yongguk.

“Maybe today I’ll pick up some girl” he said chuckling.

His friend grinned and stood up. “First you should fix your hair a little, don’t you think?” he said pointing at his friend’s messy locks.

Daehyun weaved his hand. “Nah, it will shape itself, we should go now” he assured.

The younger hummed. “So, are you finished cleaning?”

The brunet nodded and took his coat. “Yep, ready to leave” he answered.

“Let’s go, we are late.”

They left Daehyun’s apartment and rushed to the bus stop. The weather was nicer that day, but it still was freezing. A few people were waiting in the stop since it was Friday and everybody wanted to go to the centre. After a whole week of work, clubbing was the best way to release some stress and forget about the routine. The two young men got in the transport and seated together, sharing the earphones. Jongup played some of his music, which was mostly hip-hop, and explained to his friend how choreographies were created. He seemed absorbed when he spoke about dancing and his eyes sparkled; he truly loved music and moving along it. Daehyun listened closely to his friend and inwardly grinned at his cuteness.

After twenty minutes they finally reached their stop. They were supposed to meet with the two baristas in Junhong’s house, so they still had to walk for another ten minutes, and they were already half an hour late. Daehyun was somehow nervous. He hadn’t talked to Youngjae for more than a week, not because he didn’t want to but because he was too busy, and he was afraid to had lost the little trust they had built the past month. Also, he didn’t know how to behave with the other two around them, it was a strange combination of people. He felt odd because it was unusual for him to worry so much over a simple friendship, giving that they were friends, because Daehyun wasn’t sure about Youngjae’s thoughts. The idea of a one sided friendship made him feel upset, so he put aside those hypothesis and focused on his feet instead.

They walked through a deserted long avenue with huge houses and nice pavement. It was a residential area for wealthy people and it was exactly the opposite of where Daehyun lived. Luxury cars were parked all over the streets, and each house had a fancy garden and a huge swimming pool. That was the reality; living in Seoul could be great if you had enough money to afford it.

They continued walking until they left the long avenue behind and reached some apartment buildings. “Okay, they should be waiting nearby here” said Jongup.

Daehyun just nodded and looked at his surroundings. His heart was bumping with expectation, so he tried to calm it in order to not look like an idiot due to nervousness. They walked for another two minutes, chatting about silly things, so the brunet could relax a little, until they saw two figures standing together. They were the two baristas, who seemed to be talking until Junhong noticed Jongup and Daehyun. The youngest was dressing just casually, as usual, but Youngjae was stunning; he was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and an elegant tight grey coat, and his hair was skillfully styled.

“You are late” complained Junhong walking towards them. “Youngbaby almost died of hypothermia.”

Youngjae hit him in the shoulder. “Shut up, brat” he hissed. Then he looked at the brunet and Jongup. “Hey, it’s been a while, how are you, guys?” he greeted smiling warmly.

“Fine thanks” answered Jongup. “Sorry, we made you wait” he apologized scratching his nape.

Youngjae waved his hand. “Don’t worry, really” he assured. “We should get going.” Everybody agreed so they started moving towards the nearest bus stop.

Jongup and Junhong started to chat about their stuff, updating their information about each other, so that left the two elders behind with no conversation topic. Daehyun shoved his hands on his coat’s pockets and coughed. “I thought you didn’t like this kind of things” he said to the barista.

Youngjae chuckled. “Is not that I don’t like it, is just I prefer wasting my time on other things” he explained. “Why do you ask, anyways? You don’t want me here?” he asked jokingly.

“No, I’m glad you came” answered the latter. “I want to see your wild side.”

“Wild? Hahaha, that won’t happen” he said.

“I’m sure you’ll drink and then you’ll try to flirt with some girl” said the elder snorting.

The barista laughed even louder. “I assure you that’s the last thing I’d ever do.”

Daehyun looked at him and raised a brow inquisitive. “What do you mean?” Then sudden realization hit him like a lightning. “Are you taken?” he asked hesitantly.

Youngjae shook his head. “No” he simply replied.

“Then?” insisted the latter. “Oh, you like someone.”

The barista smiled. “Who knows.”

The elder waited for a few seconds for a clearer response from the latter, but it never came. “Agh, ok, I give up, I won’t ask you anymore about it” he said frowning slightly. He was a little bit annoyed because Youngjae wouldn’t open up.

“Thank you. By the way, how’s the project with Himchan going?” asked Youngjae to change the subject.

“Fine, but it’s taking all our time.”

“I noticed that” replied the barista.

“Is that so?” asked the elder in disbelief.

“Yep. You haven’t showed your face at the café these past days. Jieun asked me about you” said Youngjae pursing his lips.

“So you both have missed me” teased the latter.

The barista coughed. “I missed your money.”

“Okay, the next time I go to the shop I’ll make sure you are not around so Jieun can have all my money” stated Daehyun.

“Jerk” blurted Youngjae.

You are the jerk here” answered the brunet with a playful smile on his face.

“Kids, stop bickering!” said Junhong turning around showing a sly smile.

Youngjae sighed and shook his head containing a wide smile. They were already at the bus stop, so they took seat and waited for the transport to come. The street was busy, but luckily there wasn’t that much traffic.

“The bus will arrive in four minutes” announced Jongup checking the timetables on his phone. “Hm, you too seem to get along very well” he commented looking at the two elders.

“Yeah, I’m jealous” complained Junhong grabbing Youngjae’s arm.

Youngjae rolled his eyes and pried his limb off. “Don’t say that kind of things, Jongup, is embarrassing” he said chuckling.

“You have to be honest with your feelings, Jae” teased the youngest.

“Junhong, your face is screaming to meet my fist” warned the barista.

Daehyun chuckled and met Junhong’s eyes. “You just told us to stop bickering and now you are the one who’s pestering Youngjae.”

“Pestering Youngjae is my only goal in life” he answered apologetically. “I’m thinking about leaving the university to pester him even more.”

Youngjae snorted and shook his head. “You are an idiot.”

“By the way, what were you studying, Junhong? I don’t remember” asked the brunet.

“You forgot? The same as Jongup and Youngjae, computer engineering” he answered.

The eldest widened his eyes and looked at the other barista in disbelief. “Are you attending university?” he asked quite surprised.

The latter nibbled his lower lip. “Not anymore… I quit some months ago” he explained averting his gaze.

“There is where I met him, we were together in a class” explained Jongup.

Daehyun wanted to ask the barista why did he leave the university, but he noticed the latter’s sudden gloomy expression and decided to stop bothering him with the topic. ‘Maybe something serious happened and he’s still hurt.’

 “The bus is coming” said Youngjae pointing at the road.

“Finally” exclaimed the youngest.

They stood up and got into the transport. It was full of people, as expected, so they couldn’t take a seat. The air inside the bus was foul and the atmosphere was uncomfortably warm because of all the people pressed against each other. Most of them were teenagers and young adults, chatting and laughing, commenting with expectation how awesome that night was going to be.

The situation brought back to the brunet memories of his embarrassing experience with the barista in the subway, sending chills down his spine and making his heart miss a beat. He looked beside him and met Youngjae’s eyes, who smiled at him. “This reminds me of something” commented the latter.

Daehyun almost choke on his saliva containing a gasp. He didn’t really want to talk about it. “What?”

“Don’t you remember? When we met in the bus and you almost pass out” he recalled amused.

The elder felt relieved, but just a little because he didn’t want to talk about that experience either. “I’m sorry, it was kinda pathetic” he apologized lowering his head.

“Not at all, you really worried me. I hope you are resting better now.”

Daehyun widened his eyes. “You were worried? But we weren’t even friends back then.”

The latter snorted. “See? I’m a nice person.”

The brunet chuckled. “When we weren’t this close you were nicer and I remember you got nervous very easily.”

“Because new people make me feel stressed” he explained frowning.

“Old people too, Jae” said Junhong out of the blue.

“Don’t in adults’ conversations, brat” replied the barista.

“When I first met Youngjae I thought he was cute and kind but the closer we got the ruder he became” explained Jongup chuckling.

“You too?” complained the elder.

“I’m just speaking the truth” Jongup defended himself. “But we still like you nonetheless.”

Youngjae smiled and covered his face with his hands. “You are too blunt.”

They were the rest of the trip chatting about trivial stuff and bickering with each other, so the travel seemed shorter although the traffic got worse and it lasted longer than expected. After half an hour they finally got to their destination. It was a crowded and lively street in the centre of the city; full of clubs, bars and some restaurants. People passing by were dressed nicely with expensive clothes and fancy complements. The lights of the establishments, the music and the noise of the traffic filled the atmosphere spicing up the whole area.

When they got off the bus the chill hit them strongly, making them bury themselves into their coats. Daehyun shoved his hands into his pockets and narrowed his eyes to prevent the freezing air from getting into his eyes. Luckily the club they wanted to go was nearby there.

“Oh my god, it’s freezing out here” commented Youngjae trying to control his shivers.

“Are you so cold?” asked Junhong.

The barista nodded. “But it’s fine, I’ll live” he said chuckling.

They started moving, but after a few minutes Youngjae’s shivering wouldn’t stop. Daehyun walked beside his friend unsure of what to do. “You are too sensitive to the cold, don’t you?” he asked.

The latter just hummed. “I’m a weak person, also I get sick easily.”

“Me too” assured Daehyun. “But now I’m fine, if you want I can lend you my coat” he suggested a little hesitant.

“What? No way, we are almost in the club, anyway” he rejected flustered.

The brunet chuckled. “Okay, but don’t get sick.”

Youngjae gave him a weak smile. “I won’t.”

They finally got to the club. It was called Yggdrasill and a huge neon sign shaped as a circled tree was placed just above the main entrance. The façade was also decorated with creeper plants and some Nordic symbols. It wasn’t Daehyun’s first time there, but he was amazed. When they entered the place, the warm and crowded atmosphere slapped them. The club was bigger than it looked like, but it was full of people nonetheless. The decoration on the inside was also Nordic themed, with runes carved on the wood parts of the wall and drawings of mythological creatures exhibited everywhere.

The illumination was poor, but Daehyun could tell by the people’s faces that most of them were already drunk. He quickly scanned the club looking for a place where they could settle, but the only thing he found was a dark corner where couples went to make out discreetly. He clicked his tongue and glanced at his friends who seemed as lost as him. Just then they heard a voice beside them.

“Hey guys, are you in legal age?”

It was the woman attending the bar. She was wearing a playful smile, all dressed in black with a provocative outfit giving a “bad girl” vibe. She leaned on the counter, placing there her elbows and resting her head on her palms, waiting patiently for an answer.

“Sure” replied Daehyun with a nod.

“I’m sorry to ask this, but I need to see your IDs. Not that I don’t trust you, it’s just to make sure” she explained waving her hand and keeping her smile.

The young men gave her their cards with resignation. She checked one by one the name and the date of birth and when she was finished she returned the IDs. “Congratulations, you passed the exam!” she exclaimed cheerily. “You can have that table over there” she said motioning with her hand.

After ordering they sat where they were told and waited for the girl to come with their drinks. The table was almost hidden in a corner, nearby the bathrooms, but the whole indoors could be seen from there. Daehyun sat next to Jongup and absently glanced at the bartender, who seemed to be preparing their drinks, still wearing a sly smile. Lots of guys were surrounding her, apparently trying to flirt, but she just laughed whatever they said off.

“Woah, she’s hot” exclaimed Junhong staring shamelessly at her. “Don’t you think, Youngjae?” he asked elbowing his friend.

The latter just rolled his eyes ignoring the question and Jongup muffled a chuckle with his fist. Daehyun didn’t understand why was it funny, but he didn’t ask assuming it was a joke between them. The girl came seconds later carrying their drinks on a tray and placing them on the table.

“Thank you” muttered Daehyun when she was finished.

“You are welcome, babe” she answered winking at him and leaving a folded paper in front of him.

After she left, Daehyun looked up at his friends who were gaping at him. He just fluttered his eyelashes and unfolded the paper. It simply said “Hyuna” and a telephone number was messily written below. The brunet widened his eyes and looked again at his friends. “It’s her phone number” he slowly explained.

“I can’t believe it, you lucky bastard!” complained Junhong hitting the table.

“Are you gonna call her?” asked the elder barista meeting his eyes.

“I don’t think so. I don’t even know her” he quickly explained.

Jongup pursed his lips. “Maybe you should” he advised.

Daehyun immediately knew what he was referring, but sleeping with a complete stranger wasn’t going to help him with his feelings about his boss. “I don’t really like the idea” he finally stated. It was an awkward situation because the girl would be probably waiting for an answer or a hint.

“How did you do it?” asked Junhong to the brunet.

The latter raised a brow. “Do what?”

“Getting her number” replied the youngest.

“I don’t know” he mumbled in response.

“He’s just handsome and you’re clearly not, Junhong” teased the barista.

“So you think he’s handsome?” the youngest inquired smirking. “On a scale of one to ten how handsome is he?” he asked to his friend.

Daehyun felt how a burning heat was creeping up his cheeks. He remembered that day in the subway when Youngjae told him that he was envious of his face and when he told him he was pretty attractive. The brunet tried to put aside those thoughts and waited expectantly for the latter’s response. Youngjae seemed flustered and his reply came after a short silence. “I don’t know, but higher than you.”

The brunet felt a little bit disappointed with his friend response. “I think he’s a ten” exclaimed Jongup relaxing the ambience.

Daehyun chuckled and sipped his drink enjoying the feeling of the alcohol burning his throat. He didn’t usually drink, but he liked it.

“I also think he’s a ten, maybe we should kick him out to look more attractive” suggested Junhong wearing an evil grin.

They all laughed and quickly changed the topic of conversation. Just like that they spent more than two hours, drinking, messing around with each other and telling embarrassing stories. Daehyun learnt a lot about Youngjae. The barista liked singing, just like him, and he auditioned once to become an idol but he backed out because he was too scared; he was from Uijeongbu, but he have been living in Seoul for three years now; he has an elder brother, who made him interested in computers, and his favorite hobby was eating. Junhong also told them how bad Youngjae messed up his first day at the coffee shop and how he had to cover up the elder’s disaster.

The evening was turning out to be really amusing, at least for Daehyun. He had drunk already three shots and everything suddenly seemed funnier. He wasn’t completely drunk yet, so he decided to stop drinking because he hated being drunk. The atmosphere in the place was now more relaxed, with less people around and more quietness. The bartender was still glancing at him from time to time, but he tried to ignore her as best as he could.

“I’m gonna get a drink, you guys want something else?” asked Youngjae standing up.

“A glass of water please” said Daehyun.

The other two young men shook their heads to say 'no' and resumed their conversation. The barista smiled at Daehyun and after mumbling a softly “okay” he went to the bar. The brunet observed his friend walking towards the counter, admiring his slim legs and his tiny hands. ‘Youngjae has a nice body.’ He looked at the barista, talking to the bartender with a gentle smile on his face, and laughing, probably because she said something funny. He had only heard him laugh a few times, but it was somehow a reassuring laugh.

Daehyun didn’t understand why he was so attracted by Youngjae. Normally he wouldn’t notice all the things he noticed in the barista. It was maybe because they were almost the same age or maybe because he saw him as his own brother, but it was awkward and odd to feel that way. His stomach suddenly fell and he felt like puking. He averted his gaze and tried to stop the flow of thoughts when Junhong’s voice snapped him out of his daydreaming.

“Dudes, dudes! Look!” he said squealing and pointing at the bar. The brunet looked where the latter was pointing and saw Youngjae talking to another man, with black hair and taller than him. Daehyun raised a brow and looked back at Junhong inquisitively. “That guy’s hitting on Youngjae” explained the youngest.

Daehyun’s eyes went wide as he directed his gaze again towards the barista. The taller man was wearing a smug smile, but they seemed to be talking normally; Youngjae didn’t look very amused nonetheless. “How’d you know he’s flirting with Youngjae?” asked the barista frowning.

“Just observe” replied the latter.

Daehyun did as he was told and looked at his friend. The taller guy talked a lot while Youngjae just nodded and smiled sometimes. The brunet was starting to get bored because nothing happened. He was about to avert his gaze and tell Junhong that he was wrong when the taller guy leaned towards Youngjae closing the proximity between their faces. Daehyun’s heart missed a beat and a gasp escaped his lips. A reassuring wave travelled all over his body when he saw the tall guy leaning back. He clenched his fists and narrowed his eyes. “What’s that guy doing?” he muttered. He looked at his friends, who were smiling widely, and opened his mouth surprised. “What are you two so happy about?”

“What do you mean?” asked the youngest.

“I mean Youngjae’s being pestered by a random guy” he explained looking at them in disbelief.

“Pestered? Nah, they are just flirting” assured Junhong.

Daehyun frowned and looked back at the barista. He seemed uncomfortable. “Look at Youngjae’s face, idiot” he said to the youngest.

Jongup expression slowly changed. “I think he’s right, Junhong.”

“You know Youngjae, he’s just shy!” exclaimed the latter.

“I’m gonna tell that guy to off” announced the brunet standing up.

His both friends grabbed him by his arms and forced him to sit down again. “Are you nuts, Daehyun? let them be!” said Jongup raising his voice.

Daehyun pried his limbs off and snorted. “Okay!”

Just then the black haired young man brushed Youngjae’s shoulder and arm and leaned again towards the barista. Youngjae flinched under his touch and stepped back.

The brunet clenched his teeth and almost run towards the bar ignoring his friends shouting behind him. Now he was angry. He couldn’t stand the fact that a creepy guy was hitting so shamelessly on his friend. He even dared to touch the barista without consent. Daehyun quickly approached the two young men and forcibly placed himself between them.

“Daehyun?” asked Youngjae in disbelief.

The brunet ignored the barista and threw the tall guy a fierce look. “What the are you doing?” Maybe all his confident came from the alcohol’s effects, but he himself was surprised of his boldness.

“Wow, and who might you be?” asked the black haired men.

“I’m his friend. Leave him the alone” he answered with a deep voice.

The latter frowned. “A friend?” Then he gave Youngjae a disgusted look. “You sure recover quickly, Youngjae.”

The barista clenched his fists and narrowed his eyes to storm out the place a few seconds later.

“Youngjae!” Daehyun tried fruitlessly to grab the younger’s wrist, so after throwing the tall guy another threating look he ran to catch his friend. He exited the establishment and found Youngjae in front of the main door muttering and covering his face with his palms.

“Youngjae…” he gently called his friend. The barista turned around and met his eyes. He looked to be about to cry. “Are you ok?” he asked closing the distance between them.

The barista sighed and after a short pause he spoke. “Yes, don’t worry.”

“You know that guy?”

“Yes, kind of.”

“I can’t believe he was that shameless, hitting on another guy in front of that bunch of people…” commented Daehyun.

The barista narrowed his eyes. “What?”

“Yeah, like, everybody could see him and he still flirted with you” he explained.

Youngjae opened his mouth like he was shocked. “Well, that’s how normal people flirt.”

Daehyun raised his brow. “But a man with another man..?”

The barista gave him a look of disbelief and snorted. “I can’t believe it… To think that I actually thought…” He looked at the elder. “Goodbye Daehyun” he said and he entered the club before the latter could ask what was wrong.

The brunet followed him and got into the establishment. “Wait, Youngjae!” He ran and he quickly approached the table, where Jongup and Junhong were looking at the barista with concerned looks. They seemed to be talking about something.

“He’s a friend of Dongyul?” asked Jongup to the barista pursing his lips.

“Yes” replied the latter. “I’m sorry but I right now I just want to go home.”

His two friends nodded, giving him an apologetic look. “Do you want me to go with you?” asked Junhong.

“No, please, I don’t want to ruin your evening” he said forcing a smile. Then he took his coat and turned around to leave. He met Daehyun’s eyes, but ignored him and continued walking nonchalantly. The latter followed him until they were outside again.

“Youngjae! Wait, please!” fruitlessly pleaded the elder. “Are you mad at me? What have I done to upset you?” The latter continued walking ignoring his friend. Daehyun sprinted until he caught up the barista. “Are you going home alone? Are you kidding me?” he asked grabbing his wrist.

Youngjae pried his hand off and narrowed his eyes. “Don’t worry, I’ll take the bus. Now leave me alone.”

The barista resumed his walking and Daehyun stood still on his place unsure of what to do.

“Youngjae…”

 


HELLO SWEETHEARTS ❤ 

As promised here's the update ((○*´∀`*))ノ゙I wrote it fast cause I REALLY needed to write after my long hiatus (u v u)

I missed you guys so much... and I missed my fic too hahaha. This chapter... I don't know how to feel about it, I hope you like it (o✪‿✪o)シ It's longer than usual and I like how Daehyun is starting to realize how he really feels towards Youngjae ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hehehe. Oh, and don't hate Dae, please, he's not homophobe (╯︵╰,) it's just odd for him to see a guy hitting on another...

YOUNGJAE, DON'T BE LIKE THAT AND FORGIVE YOUR BOYFRIEND!

As always, thank you for reading, commenting, upvoting etc. YOU ARE SO CUTE OMG ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ 

Have a nice week, I love youuu (。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)