Vocabulary Sheet 1-Greetings 인사

Korean 101 with J.Lee

So, I'm formatting this as if you are in a made up city called Jelly City (lame I know). It's a new city developed within Seoul. You are a foreign exchange student studying Korean and you are staying with a host family living in Jelly City. The host family is just me. Lee Jiyeon. A.K.A, J.Lee. LOL Hope you enjoy your stay here!


Welcome to Jelly City! A new city developed within Seoul!! I'm your host, Jiyeon. You will be staying with me during your stay here in Korea. I hope to help you as much as possible! Before we get settled in, let's start with Greetings shall we?

Korean English
환영합니다 Welcome
안녕하세요 Hello (formal)
안녕 Hi (informal) Bye (informal)
잘 있었나요? How have you been?
네! 잘 있었어요. I've been well.
뭐해? What's up?
아무것도 안해 Nothing much
만나서 반갑습니다 Nice to meet you
만나서 반가워요 Nice to meet you (both are interchangeable)
잘 부탁드립니다 Please treat me well
오래만입니다 It's been a while (formal)
오래만이다 It's been a while (informal)
이름이 뭐에요? What's your name?
내 이름은 OOO 입니다. My name is...
저는 OOO 입니다. I am...(also used when saying your name)
몇살이에요? How old are you?
저는 OO살 입니다 I am...years old
그쪽 은(요)? And you? or How about you?
안녕히가세요 Goodbye (formal leaving)
안녕히계세요 Goodbye (formal staying)
잘가 Bye! (informal) (literally means Go well!)
인사 Greetings
이름 Name

 

You think you got the greetings down? Let's try it out!

J: 안녕하세요! 만나서 반갑습니다!

You: 안녕하세요! 만나서 반가워요!

J: 이름이 뭐에요?

You: 내 이름은 OOO 입니다. 이름이 뭐에요?

J: 저는 이지연 입니다! 몇살이에요?

You: 저는 OO 살 입니다. 그쪽 은요?

J: 저는 스물두살 입니다.

 

Did you understand? Here is the translation. Hope you got it right!

J: Hello! Nice to meet you!

You: Hello! Nice to meet you!

J: What's your name?

You: My name is...What's your name?

J: My name is Lee Jiyeon. How old are you?

You: I am...And you?

J: I am 22 years old.

 

Good job! Those are the basic greetings when you meet someone new! The first vocabulary sheet is all phrases. There's not much verbs or nouns going on. So memorize these phrases. They will be helpful when you meet someone new! Now let's go over a few of them shall we?

 

Name

There are two ways to introduce your name. There's no right or wrong on which one to use. There's just 2 options for you!

저는 OOO 입니다. (I am...)

내 이름은 OOO 입니다. (My name is...)

They do have different meanings but essentially it's to introduce your name. Replace the OOO with your name! Preferably the Korean name you chose for yourself!

 

Age

Remember the number lesson? Which of the two number systems do we use to describe Age? You got it! The native Korean numbers!

Example. I am 17 years old.

저는 열 일곱 살 입니다.

I am 38 years old.

저는 서른 여덟 살 입니다.

Easy right?

 

And you?

The phrase I used is 그쪽 은(요)? I've heard many dividing reactions from this phrase. My parents said it's rude. But others say it's formal. I'm gonna say, it's the correct thing to use when talking to someone you've met for the first time and they are about the same age as you. You could re-ask the questions like What's your name? My name is blah blah blah. What's your name? My name is blah blah blah. How old are you? I am...How old are you? etc. But to avoid that, the phrase 그쪽 은요? comes in handy. But what if you wanna say it to someone older? 

To an older man-->아저씨는요?

To an older woman-->아줌마는요?

To an even older man-->할아버지는요?

To an even older woman-->할머니는요?

To an older guy (few years older)-->오빠는? 형은?

To an older girl (few years older)-->누나는? 언니는?

To a senior-->선배는?

To someone younger than you-->너는?

Replace 그쪽 with the corresponding people. An older woman is an 아줌마 so you can replace 그쪽 with 아줌마. Also notice I put 요 in () in the original phrase. 요 is formal so depending on the person, you can choose whether to put 요 or not. Of course, to someone older, you HAVE to attach 요. But even to a senior at your school or maybe someone only a few years older, you can choose to not put the 요 if you don't want to. Of course, respect the other person's side as well. He/She might not be comfortable if you spoke informally to them. So make the choice whether you want to attach 요 or not.

 

Goodbye

There are two ways to say goodbye formally and yes there are two different situations in which you use them.

안녕히가세요

You use this when people are leaving your house. If you hosted some party and the guests are turning to leave, you say, 안녕히가세요. If you look closely in the word, the word 가 is there, which you will learn later means 'Go'. So the basic meaning of this phrase is 'Please Go Safely'.

안녕히계세요

You use this when you're the one leaving someone's house. If you look at the word closely, the word 계, means to stay. So the basic meaning of this phrase is 'Please Stay'

 

Hi/Bye

The word is the same! 안녕! This is the informal way of saying hi and bye and you can use it among your friends. There is another 'Bye' phrase which you can use as well. 잘가.