Outing

How Do You Like Your Coffee?

                “Ooooh I swear, ooooh I swear,” rolling over, I opened my eyes blearily. The alarm on my phone continued to sing softly and it took me a couple seconds to find it (since it was buried under my blankets). I stared at the alarm screen for a bit (my brain was not properly functioning yet) before turning the alarm off. As Dasom’s vocals faded, I flopped back into bed and to my side. I could afford a couple more minutes of sleep, right? I had stayed up late last night finishing an assignment and had submitted it right before the deadline. That definitely granted me five more minutes in my comfortably warm bed. That’s what I was telling myself at least. I knew what today was and I was not very eager to get up and face my destiny. Suddenly, my phone buzzed and I groaned while reading the message.

From: Hakyeon-hyung

Get up my sleepy child. U better not be thinking about ditching hongbinnie. U promised. And ur job is at stake so better wake up.

                “Wow thanks Hakyeon,” I muttered, dropping the honourfic. I had originally planned to save him as ‘Cha Hakyeon’ (like I did with all my contacts) but he had seen and insisted on changing it to ‘Hakyeon-hyung’. Although he wanted to make it even worse by writing something cute but I had been strongly against it (the very thought of it made me shudder even now).

To: Hakyeon-hyung

Im not ur kid first of all. And im getting up. Geez. Go bother taekwoon hyung or something.

     After sending the text, I sighed as I left the comfort of the safe haven that was my bed. Today was Saturday, the second day into our holiday (technically it was a four day weekend with the vacation starting on Friday and ending on Monday) and the date that dimples boy and I had agreed on to have our outing. More like dimples boy complained that the tickets he had expired at the end of today and I didn’t want to go out with him on the first day of my holiday so we had not so happily decided on today.

From: Hakyeon-hyung

ur a brat why do I even put up with u. be happy that ur cute or I would’ve fired u long time ago.

                Stifling a laugh at Hakyeon’s text message, I stretched and lazily walked into the bathroom. Looking at myself in the mirror as I brushed my teeth, I tried to figure out what kind of clothes I should be wearing. Dimples boy never told me where we were going so I was at a total loss. Should I wear something casual? Style my hair? Were we going out for the whole day? What had I gotten myself into? That last question had appeared in my mind quite a lot recently. Actually, I asked myself that enquiry every time I walked into Starlight Café but that was another issue altogether. Deciding that I could fix my hair after I chose what clothes to wear, I walked out of the bathroom and back into my room. Seeing a notification on my phone, I unlocked it and almost dropped my phone in laughter.

From: Hakyeon-hyung

And taekwoonies been ignoring me lately TT^TT u wouldn’t happen to know why would u?

                “Probably ‘cause you’re annoyingly affectionate,” I replied orally. I threw the phone onto my bed lightly. If I replied to Hakyeon’s text now there would be no chance that I’d actually be ready by the time dimples boy and I had agreed. Sighing, I peeked into my closet and, ignoring the growing pile of dirty clothes on the ground, tried to decide on what to wear. Finally deciding on going with a somewhat formal yet comfortable look, I grabbed my pair of fashionable grey sweatpants, a white graphic tee, and a denim blazer and put them on. Afterwards I quickly walked by the washroom and styled my hair so it looked slightly tousled. Checking my phone, I saw that I had around thirty minutes left before I was to meet dimples boy in front of the university. Seeing as the bus came in fifteen minutes and it would take ten minutes to get to the campus, I decided that there was plenty of time to brew myself some coffee (although I probably would’ve done so even if there wasn’t enough time anyways).


                “Where is that jerk,” I grumbled, tapping my foot against the ground. It was twenty minutes past 10 in the morning and dimples boy was late. We had agreed to meet up at 10:10 (weird time, I know, but bus schedules are quirky) and there was no sign of any handsome brown haired dimpled boy anywhere. Ignoring the fact that it was awkward as hell to be here on my vacation (a couple staffs had already passed me with a quizzical look upon their faces) it was even worse since the thought that dimples boy had stood me up began to ingrain itself in my mind. What kind of person forcefully asks someone out on an outing and then shows up late. Actually scratch that, at the rate things were progressing, I wouldn’t be surprised if dimples boy didn’t show up at all. Not that I particularly cared. He could go die in a hole for all I cared but I had actually gotten up before noon and would like to be rewarded in some way. Even if that prize came in the form of a handsomely persistent brunette.

                “Sanghyuk!” the jerk called. I looked up and saw him casually walking towards me. He was late and he didn’t even feel the need to rush. I mean sure, I wasn’t ulzzang worthy but I liked to think that I wasn’t bad looking either. In any case anyone with a drop of manners would’ve had the decency to run up and apologize for being late. Instead I got a, “You ready to go?”

                “Are you seriously not going to apologi-” I started, about to give dimples boy a piece of my mind before I was dragged by the arm. As he forcefully dragged me towards wherever we were going (a bus stop I think he said) I sighed and accepted my fate. The best thing I could do was just go along with his impulsive behaviour and try to have at least some fun.

                “...Hyuk? Sanghyuk? Han Sanghyuk are you here?” Hongbin waved a hand in front of my face. Looking up at this face I saw a glimmer of annoyance but it was soon replaced by amusement. “You weren’t listening were you?” No . He hasn’t even apologized to me yet. Biting back my sarcastic response I merely nodded. “Of course you weren’t, too early in the morning for little Sanghyuk to be awake?” dimples boy had the nerve to laugh here, “anyways, I was asking you if you liked my outfit.”

                “What,” I said intelligently. What kind of person asks that question? Especially during the first ten minutes of meeting up with someone? Unfortunately, judging by the un-amused look on dimples boy’s face, he wouldn’t take that as an answer. Sighing, I resigned and stood up straight to inspect his outfit clearly. Dimples boy, surprisingly, had a simple fashion style. It fit him, that’s for sure, but I was kind of expecting something flashier? I mean, isn’t that what ulzzang’s were supposed to look like? Weren’t they supposed to wear something that made them look like they just walked off of a MV set? Or did I play too many video games? Either way, dimples boy’s outfit was a decent. Skinny jeans, simple v-neck white t-shirt, and a striped long sleeve cardigan on top. On anyone else it might’ve looked bland and boring but on dimples boy it almost looked perfect. I mean, with that kind of face and build he’d look good in whatever kind of clothes he chose to wear (or not wear). Wait, what?

                “It’s okay I guess,” I replied finally, shaking my head to clear my thoughts. Something was off, maybe because I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet. Although I didn’t usually eat breakfast (coffee sufficed most of the time) but I ignored that little fact.

                “Well you’re looking half-decent yourself so I guess we match,” Hongbin replied cheekily before the bus arrived (when had we gotten to the bus stop exactly?) and we boarded. The ride was fairly uneventful, dimples boy was on his phone the entire time and since I had gotten the window seat, I plugged myself into my music device and stared at the passing scenery the whole time. It was pretty silent, not an awkward type silence though as I thought it would be. For some reason I felt comfortable sitting next to dimples boy and not having to talk. Funny how just a couple weeks ago the very thought of him being at my workplace distressed me.

                “We’re here,” Hongbin announced, getting up. As I threw my music player into my bag lightly, I exited the bus behind dimples boy. “Do you not have space on your phone for music?” Hongbin asked as I examined the sign in front of us.

                “No, I have space,” I answered distractedly. Jellyfish Amusement Park. So this is where I was going to spend my vacation? I liked amusement parks; I had gone to a bunch back in high school with friends and the occasional girlfriend (or boyfriend). I hadn’t been to one in a while though so there was no denying that I was a bit excited. “I just like to have two separate ones. More convenient. What if your phone runs out of battery, stuff like that.”

                “Makes sense I guess,” Hongbin replied thoughtfully. He then led me towards the admission lines where we managed to cut ahead since he had promotional tickets. As we finally entered the park (after getting our bags checked), dimples boy grabbed a map and we pored over it at a nearby bench.

                “Where do you want to go first?” I asked. Since dimples boy had been the one to invite me (more like forced but whatever) it was only polite that he decide where we go first. Unlike a certain someone who arrived late this morning, I was raised as a mannerly child.

                “Food. I haven’t eaten breakfast yet,” Hongbin replied, folding the map up and making a beeline for the food stands. Rolling my eyes, I scoffed at his simple mind before my stomach prompted me to follow him. As I caught up with him he turned around and smirked. “One of the conditions for you coming was that I had to pay right?” he confirmed. Crossing my arms across my chest I nodded slightly, torn between paying for myself and being a good person in general and letting dimples boy spend his hard-earned (probably not) money. “Fine, but I get to pick.”

                “Does this really classify as breakfast?” I asked skeptically, eyeing the crepe in dimples boy’s hands. He was already biting into his with a content smile upon his face and ignored my look of skepticism. “Don’t they say that you’re supposed to eat like, bacon and eggs or some like that?”

                “Would you look at that?” Hongbin said cheekily, “little Hyukkie’s got a mouth on him.” With an annoyed grunt I grabbed the crepe from dimples boy and smacked him across the chest. “That’s mean,” he rubbed his chest with his hand and pouted cutely.

                “Shut up,” I replied, biting into my ‘breakfast’. We finished the dessert fairly quickly before setting off. The park was still relatively empty (as empty as an amusement park could be on a Saturday) so we took our time going from ride to ride. After a couple of rides however, dimples boy claimed faint (although truthfully, I was pretty dizzy too after that last one) and we set off towards the carnival-themed section of the park. There we (well more like dimples boy since he was the one paying) wasted a ton of money on obviously rigged games although I soon found out that dimples boy was a terrible shot but seemed to be a lot luckier than I was. After a while we left the area with a simple stuffed elephant in dimples boy’s hand and a Jellyfish amusement park sweatshirt in my bag (dimples boy had won it at the lottery booth and insisted on giving it to me).

                “Where now?” Hongbin questioned as we took a break near the central water fountain. It was midday and the park was now populated with a number of different families, small children, and teenagers around our age. Dimples boy played with the stuffed elephant (okay fine, I had won it and he took it before I could insist otherwise) for a brief moment before returning his attention to me.

                “How about...” I trailed off, looking around the park. I almost turned in a full circle before spotting a bright red piece of metal. “That,” I pointed at the tall red rollercoaster in the distance. According to the map, the red rollercoaster was dubbed ‘Voodoo’ as the amount of g-force created was enough to strip one of their own free movements. I personally loved roller coasters, the height, speed, wind; all of it was amazing when combined together. However, judging by the look on dimples boy’s face, certain people thought otherwise. “Unless,” I smirked here, watching as dimples boy swallowed nervously, “you’re too scared.”

                “S-scared?” Hongbin squeaked in a fairly unmanly manner. The tips of his ears began to turn pink and he began to fiddle with the stuffed toy in his hands nervously. “I’m not s-scared, I’ll take you o-on anytime.”

                “But it’s not a competition?” I asked cheekily. “It’s a roller coaster. You just sit there,” dimples boy glared at me before he doubled over and clutched at his stomach.

                “Oh! My stomach hurts! I don’t think I’m well enough to go anywhere right now,” Hongbin groaned in pain.

                “Then we can go home now and I can get back to playing video ga- I mean, doing totally productive things that make me a working citizen of South Korea,” I replied cheerily. Of course I wanted to go on the rollercoaster, it was always fun to go on rides like that once in a while (especially since school had been stressful lately), but if dimples boy wanted to end our day early, I wasn’t going to stand up and stop him.

                “Well uhm,” Hongbin sat up (although his hands were still wrapped around his stomach). “I guess it might go away after a while?” Dimples boy looked back at the rollercoaster and swallowed nervously (to my amusement).

                “That’s great, the line looks pretty long so it’ll be gone by the time we get on,” I cheered and grabbed dimples boy’s hand. He protested the entire time I dragged him towards the line and continued to ramble about why this was a bad idea until we got near the front of the line. Oh how the tables have turned. “If you’re scared all you have to do is say so and I’ll go on the ride alone,” I turned towards dimples boy and crossed my arms over my chest. He had been talking my ear off the entire thirty minute wait and although it was pretty amusing to see him fidget nervously, it was getting on my nerves.

                “I’m not scared!” Hongbin protested, although his hands continued to wring themselves together in anxiety. I rolled my eyes at his obvious lie and made sure to give him a look so he knew just how done I was with him.

                “You’ve mentioned that already, but judging by the fact that you’re abusing the elephant I won, I’m wondering if you might or might not be a compulsive liar.” Dimples boy bit his lower lip and looked down but stayed silent. “Seriously? Fine, well, it’s our turn anyways,” I said, a little bothered by the colour of dimples boy’s face when we stepped into the cart. As the attendant walked around to check if we had put our safety gear on properly, I looked over at his face again and smiled. His eyes were firmly shut and from what I could tell, he was swearing at a thousand words per minute.

                “What have I done to deserve this?” I heard Hongbin mutter under his breath as the safety lock clicked into place. Before I could respond with a cheekily sarcastic response, the cart began moving. We were sitting right in the front of the coaster (after all, why sit at the back of a roller coaster after waiting for so long? All the fun happens in the front anyways) and as we exited the main station, I peered over the edge to look down at the other people in line. A large group of girls standing near the middle of the queue waved at us excitedly and cheered when I returned their wave (I’m pretty sure I heard one of them squeal to her friend about how I was the first person to wave to her but whatever). As we started up the first (and largest) drop, I turned to dimples boy to check on him. Not that I was concerned or anything, I just wanted to make sure he wouldn’t vomit on me or something.

                “You okay?” I asked, seeing as he was turning slightly ghastly at the height we had reached (although we were only half way up). He wrenched his gaze away from the inevitable drop and looked at me before shaking his head. “Well it’s a little late to be having second thoughts don’t you think?”

                “Shut up,” Hongbin gritted his teeth. I laughed at nervousness (this was probably going to be the best part of my day and I was going to make the most of it) which made him hit me. Or attempt to, the minute he let go of the safety bar to hit me, the cart lurched forwards causing him to grip the side of the cart for dear life. Not like that would save him.

                “You realize that holding onto the cart or bar will do nothing to stop you from freefalling if the safety bar decides to stop working?” I chided. He blanched at my statement and I saw him visibly tense. Laughing again, I realized that we were more than three-fourths up. We’d be going over the edge soon. As I debated whether or not I should continue teasing dimples boy, he mumbled something that I couldn’t hear over the loud wind and shouts from the people behind us. “Pardon?” I shouted, “I can’t hear you.”

                “Can I hold your hand...?” Hongbin muttered, a bit louder this time. Shocked, I stared at him for a couple seconds before I felt the cart reach the top. As the machine began to teeter over the edge, dimples boy grew increasingly frightened which caused me to sigh and decide that his could be my one act of kindness today.

                “Fine,” I replied, and right before the cart fell down the rails, I grabbed his hand and gave it a tight squeeze. Seconds later, the cart plummeted downwards and for the next three and a half minutes all I could feel was the wind and excitement mixed with fear in my stomach. Laughing in amusement, I grinned as the ride neared the end. To my right, I could hear dimples boy screaming for his life (although I’ll give him credit for not sounding like a girl) which only made me smile wider. Finally, the ride stopped slowly and we stopped behind the main station to wait for the next cart to load up with thrill seekers and their unfortunate partners. “That wasn’t so bad right?” I turned to dimples boy and smiled cheekily.

                “That was terrible, what in the world did I do to deserve this, you better be happy that I might or might not have shed some tears,” Hongbin replied, sniffling slightly. He glared at me good naturedly before smiling. “Although it was kind of fun I guess.”

                “See? Told you,” I replied, happy that he had fun. It’s not like I was a terrible person, I wouldn’t have dragged him onto a nightmare of a ride just to see him cry. Actually maybe I would’ve. I’d done it to my sister before after she forced me to eat her disgusting creations in the kitchen (she wanted to be a chef or something when she was younger and let me tell you that she should’ve been an assassin instead with the concoctions she cooked up). In the end I made him ride because he was stubborn about not being frightened and it was honestly pretty adorable. As adorable as an annoying ulzzang who invaded your workspace could be.


Aight, finally I have completed this chapter. Ugh, honestly I feel sorta bad because it took so long but I was sick for a while (who gets sick when it starts to warm up?) and I had a ton of tests last week that I had to study for (not that I study a lot but still!) so I didn't really have to time to write.

Anyways, we find out here that Hyuk's a bit of a manipulative jerk but that's okay because he's cute. ^_^ And Binnie's totes adorbs 'cause he's scared of roller coasters. Just in case any of you were wondering, he's okay with riding any other ride other than coasters. I based him off me. I can't deal with roller coasters. I also based the whole amusement park scene around the time during the summer when I went to Canada's Wonderland with my friends. We may or may not have been that group of girls waving at people going on the Leviathan. Ehehe.

I also based Hyuk's usage of an Ipod AND a phone off of me as well. I have my music separate on my Ipod because my phone doesn't have enough space and it's just simpler that way (battery life).

By the way, this is only part one of HyukBin's "date". I orginally planned for it all to be one chapter but then this part got a bit long so I decided to cut it into two pieces. So I'll be working on that soon and it'll be up hopefully within a week. Unless I get sick again. >_<

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this, don’t be a silent reader, and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you're smiling!

~ Alateni