Housemates

How Do You Like Your Coffee?

Yo. Hyuk. (Sungjae if you’re reading this just leave because I already told you this.)

Anyways, we need to have a house meeting (and not the type where you go meet girls/boys okay? I’m trying to be serious here) asap. Text me.

Ilhoon

          “What’s this?” I asked myself as I picked the note up from the table. I didn’t have any morning classes today (for once) so I had woken up later than Ilhoon and Sungjae (which also probably meant they were both cranky since neither of them could make a decent pot of coffee). My class started in thirty minutes but I had entered the kitchen in order to grab a couple snacks and had been greeted by the handwritten note on the table. “Oh ,” I said as I looked up at the clock. “I’m late!”

          “Just on time Sanghyuk,” Mrs. Lee commented as I rushed into the class. I bowed to her in greeting while the rest of class snickered quietly before I took my seat on the left side of the room (which just so happened to be the farthest from the door so everyone stared at me while I crossed the room). “Moving on, today we’re going to discuss the ruins of Sicily,” Mrs. Lee turned towards the presentation on the board and the class switched their attention from me towards the professor. I sighed as I clunked down onto my seat and quickly took my notebook. Twenty minutes later I was slumped in my seat, struggling to stay awake as Mrs. Lee droned on about how the ruins were discovered. I liked history, learning about what happened thousands of years ago was definitely interesting to me (especially since history tended to repeat itself) but I was not feeling it this morning. As Mrs. Lee continued her lecture, I felt my mind drift towards other things. Sighing, I absentmindedly unlocked my phone and stared at the wallpaper before debating whether or not I should text Ilhoon. Whatever he was hinting at sounded urgent (although he could’ve been a little more descriptive to be honest, his note had been extremely vague) but I was still a little upset over the fact that he had made me late. Okay, maybe it wasn’t entirely his fault that I hadn’t gotten up when my alarm rang the first time but still, his note had distracted me. Plus I didn’t end up grabbing anything to eat so now I had to focus on smothering my stomach’s groans of pain. Letting out a low groan, I rested my cheek against the table and tried to tune back in to Mrs. Lee lecture. Mrs. Lee was known for hinting at exam questions during her lectures so it definitely paid off to listen. Then again, I could probably just get some of my other friends to give me their notes. Yeah, I’ll do that. For now, I’ll sleep.


          I walked into Starlight Cafe fairly unnoticed (to my amusement) as the other workers seemed to be arguing over something near the counter. I looked over a couple times on my way to the back room in an attempt to figure out what they were whispering angrily about but gave up after entering the employee washroom. I walked into the nearest stall and took my uniform out (white collared dress shirt, black vest, and black dress pants) and put it on before exiting the washroom. As I put my street clothes back into my bag, Jaehwan walked into the back room. He looked at me silently with a shocked look before breaking out into a wide smile.

          “HE’S HERE. I FOUND HIM. DO I GET THE MONEY NOW?” Jaehwan screamed, causing me to flinch and cover my ears slightly. After Jaehwan’s outburst, I heard a series of pounding footsteps from the main cafe area until all four workers (including dimples boy) busted into the room.

          “Hyung you were supposed to ask if he liked it first, now no one gets the money,” Hongbin reminded as Wonshik lightly cuffed Jaehwan’s head. Jaehwan pouted as dimples boy’s logic processed through his brain while Hakyeon sighed at his worker’s inefficiency.

          “Why is everyone here? It’s a good thing I finished changing,” I commented offhandedly before the Hakyeon and Jaehwan could get in a fight.

          “Aren’t we allowed to be here? We do work here,” Wonshik replied sassily, pretending to flip his imaginary hair.

          “When did you start hanging out with Hakyeon hyung so much? Never knew you were so sassy,” I asked, extremely confused at Wonshik’s random bout of sass. Hakyeon was the only one at the workplace that sassed people on a regular basis and he had enough attitude for all of them so I was beginning to fear that Wonshik’s sass would become a regular occurrence. “Besides, Hongbin doesn’t work here.”

          “Yeah but he’s family!” Hakyeon cheered, draping himself across the worn out couch that was situated in the corner. He was glared at by Taekwoon before being forcibly confined to half of the couch. “Anyways, you have plenty of sass yourself mister so you’re not one to talk.”

          “I don’t have that much sass,” I replied defensively, hand across my chest in a jokingly offended manner.

          “You so do,” Wonshik stated, rolling his eyes as I let out an insulted gasp. “Anyways, that’s not the reason we’re all paying attention to you ‘cause sorry kid, you’re not that interesting,” Wonshik continued, “how’d you like it?”

          “That’s rude,” I said, affronted, “I’m pretty interesting in my opinion. And what? What did I like? Or what should I like?”

          “From what Sungjae ssi tells me, all you do is play video games and watch anime, that’s not a very interesting life,” Hongbin piped up from his corner of the room. Hakyeon and Taekwoon had taken over the couch, Jaehwan perched on the armrest nearest to the door, and Wonshik had decided that chairs were too mainstream and was sitting on the table.

          “Hey! That’s a very interesting life that many interesting people in the world share,” I replied, eager to defend my love for two dimensional characters and lame storylines that no one read anyways (although sometimes I would read the script out loud in different voices to entertain myself – I’m not a nerd I swear).

          “Okay, that’s not the problem here!” Hakyeon whined, earning a kick from Taekwoon, “Did you like the present we got you?!”

          “What present? I never received anything,” I answered, acting confused. The reaction I got was one of the best things I’ve ever experienced (even better than finally beating the final boss in a game and saving). Jaehwan and Wonshik’s faces dropped, Hakyeon whirled around to face dimples boy, and Taekwoon’s eyes actually widened slightly.

          “You said you’d give it to him!” Hakyeon shouted, pointing an accusing finger at dimples boy’s direction. “We all agreed that you’d be the most trustworthy person to send it and you failed us!”

          “I sent it!” Hongbin replied defensively, “I went to the post office and everything! The lady at the counter tried to flirt with me and I’m ninety percent sure the door person d my when I walked out.”

          “That’s gross, I didn’t need to know that,” Hakyeon shook his head and pretended to vomit while Jaehwan pitched in his own retching noises. “Anyways, you should’ve flirted back or something because the lady obviously stole the present thinking you were sending it to a girlfriend or whatnot. Geez Binnie! How many times have I told you to use your pretty face for something other than taking selcas?”

          “Hyung, it’s not good to manipulate people. And aren’t you supposed to set me on a good path? Not tell me how to bend people to my own personal will?” Hongbin shot back, crossing his arms over his chest. “Plus isn’t it kind of mean to give someone false hope? That’s like, one of the worst things you can do to them.”

          “You still should’ve done it,” Hakyeon answered while rolling his eyes sassily.

          “Okay, okay, guys, calm down,” I finally cut in before Hakyeon and dimples boy could get into a real fight. “I was just kidding, no need to get your in a twist.”

          “ in a what?” Hakyeon screeched, appalled at my ‘vulgar’ language.

          “Have you ever even seen ?” Hongbin muttered under his breath causing Jaehwan to snort slightly.

          “I have a sister and she used to have sleepovers like every month so yes, I have seen ,” I glared at dimples boy who merely shrugged in response, “and don’t act like you’ve never heard me swear Hakyeon hyung, I cursed plenty of times when I burn myself making coffee.”

          “True,” Hakyeon agreed, “but I still don’t want our maknae to grow up.” Hakyeon sniffled and tears began to sparkle in his eye. Ignoring my ‘seriously?’ and Wonshik’s ‘grow up’, Hakyeon wiped a tear from his eye before returning his attention to me and my joke. “So you did get the present?”

          “Yup, it came on Saturday,” I replied, smiling. I reached into my bag and pulled the black and white striped stuffed toy that they had given me and hugged it to my chest. “I haven’t come up with a name for it though.”

          “You little ,” Hongbin cursed, glaring at my smirk.

          “Thanks, love you too,” I replied, blowing dimples boy a kiss (which he slapped it away in a disgusted manner).

          “Woah, when did you two get so close?” Jaehwan commented before a loud crash was heard in the main area of the cafe. “ what the hell was that?” Jaehwan and the rest of the workers (including dimples boy for some reason) ran towards the counter and saw a ditzy looking male on the floor. “Sir, are you okay?”

          “Yeah, don’t worry about it. I just slipped ‘cause I was wondering why no one was here,” the customer replied and I looked up to realize that a couple of people had made their way into the cafe and were drifting around aimlessly seeing as there was no workers present.

          “Well I guess it’s time to get back to work,” Hakyeon said as Taekwoon slipped into the kitchen quietly. Wonshik and Jaehwan shrugged and walked back into the employee lounge seeing as they barely did any work anyways while Hakyeon and I took our place behind the counter. Surprisingly, dimples boy did not follow Wonshik and Jaehwan as he usually did. Instead, he grabbed a stool and sat near my workplace.

          “Why are you here?” I asked as Hakyeon handed me an order to start on. Dimples boy shrugged and merely watched me as I mixed the various ingredients together and combined them with coffee and skimmed milk. “Do you seriously have nothing better to do? I mean, I knew you were a loser but this is taking it to another level.”

          “Yeah, never thought I’d fall so low. Hanging out with the king of losers is not what I imagined myself doing on a perfectly nice afternoon. My plans usually involve people that are actually interesting,” Hongbin shot back while I handed the order to Hakyeon (who snorted, the prick, how dare he!) to give to the customer.

          “Then your interest must involve staring at your phones since that’s all you and your friends do during break, which isn’t that far away from mine except I practice my hand-eye coordination and decision making skills,” I retorted, cleaning up the small drops of coffee that I had accidentally dropped on the counter.

          “So you’ve been watching me during break hm?” Hongbin smirked, leaning forward. I rolled my eyes and threw the towel at him (which he caught easily the stupid athletic bastard) before beginning to work on the next drink.

          “Seriously, when did you two get so close?” Hakyeon asked from the cash register as he counted the correct amount of change to hand to the person waiting in line. “Not that I didn’t want you guys to get along but if you’re going to be like this the entire afternoon I might get a headache.”

          “Sorry hyung, is our chatter too fast and modern for you? Do you not understand our slang and lingo? Too old for modern times?” Hongbin replied cheekily, earning him a glare from Hakyeon.

          “No, I think it’s just ‘cause he forgot to take his vitamins today. Hyung, you know you can’t go without your medicine. Your body just isn’t what it used to be,” I added in, causing Hakyeon’s glare to move from dimples boy to me.

          “You little s, I’m not that old,” Hakyeon muttered as he turned around to take the next customer’s order (who was smiling at our banter).

          “Sure hyung,” Hongbin said easily, “just keep thinking that. Whatever floats your boat.”

          “Why did I even want you guys to get along,” Hakyeon grumbled, causing dimples boy and I to burst out into laughter. “Shut up, Binnie at least order a drink if you’re going to stay you Hyukkie, hurry up and get back to work. Unlike Wonshikkie, and Jaehwannie, I don’t pay you to sit around and do nothing.”


          “I’m home!” I called as I closed the door and locked it behind me. Oddly all of the lights were (despite it only being around 7 at night) and as I took my shoes off, I noticed that there was an extra pair of shoes near the door (there had also been a strangely expensive car in the driveway that definitely didn’t belong to any of us). Dismissing it as one of Ilhoon or Sungjae’s friends, I walked into the kitchen and discovered the owner of the extra pair of shoes and the car. A tall male (well he was around my height but then again, I’m pretty tall too so I guess he would be considered tall) was casually leaning on the kitchen counter sipping from one of the mugs that had been drying on the dish rack. “Hello?” I said, uncertain of what his appearance meant.

          “Oh! You must be Han Sanghyuk! I’ve heard a lot about you!” the male replied cheerily. He put his cup down and straightened up because approaching me with an outstretched hand. I shook it hesitatingly as the man smirked at me. “The rumors of you having amazing eyes are spot on, they’re even prettier up close,” the man said suddenly before leaning in.

          “What the ?” I said in surprise, stepping back from the man. His face had been so close that I could practically smell the peppermint radiating from his mouth (it wasn’t a particularly bad smell but it surprised me) and the feeling, although not entirely unpleasant, caught me off guard.

          “You’re adorably jumpy,” the male smirked, leaning back until his elbows rested back on the counter. “And you’ve got a mouth on you, I can work with that.”

          “What in the world are you saying?” I said, crossing my arms across my chest in an annoyed manner. For some reason he reminded me of dimples boy (probably ‘cause his personality was the type that I thought dimples boy would have had) and his face looked vaguely familiar when I related him to dimples boy. However, the male made another attempt to come closer causing my train of thought to be broken. “Can you stop that?” I said, walking to the other side of the counter so there would be a barrier in between us.

          “Sorry, you’re just so adorable I want to put you in my pocket,” the man replied, smiling suggestively.

          “The does that even mean?” I asked, studying the person in front of me. He wasn’t ugly, pretty handsome, he had a nice smile when he wasn’t being an (although dimples boy’s smile was far better) and his eyes were quite enchanting as well.

          “It means that,” the male leaned over the counter, “that I wouldn’t mind dat-”

          “Chansik ssi!” Ilhoon and Sungjae appeared in the doorway and entered the room, effectively cutting the male, Chansik I was assuming, off. “You just disappeared randomly, where’d you go?” Ilhoon continued, as they both filed into the kitchen. I sighed in relief silently as Chansik leaned back away from me and turned towards Ilhoon.

          “Wanted a drink,” Chansik replied, picking up his cup of whatever it was again. He took a sip as Sungjae whispered something that sounded like ‘thirsty hoe’ (to which I snorted) before resting Chansik’s gaze found its way back to me.

          “Oh yeah, this is Sanghyuk. Our last roommate. He was supposed to come earlier,” Ilhoon glared in my direction now, obviously pissed that I hadn’t texted him in the morning. Oops. “But I guess he didn’t get my message.”

          “Sorry hyung, I was in a rush this morning,” I confessed, rubbing my neck awkwardly.

          “You could’ve texted me after school or work,” Ilhoon scolded, “but nooo, you ignored me. Geez, insolent dongsaengs...”

          “Hyung it wasn’t my fault! You should’ve told me a potential housemate was coming!” Sungjae protested as Ilhoon switched his attention from me to him. “You knew I had plans today!” Sungjae continued when Ilhoon didn’t stop his death stare.

          “Housemate?” I asked, sparing a glance at Chanshik (who winked at me).

          “Not me,” Chansik piped us, smiling at my discomfort, “a friend is transferring to our university and he needs a place to stay. My house is full ‘cause I only have one guest room and Choco sleeps there so he can’t live with me. I told Ilhoon about his situation and he said he had a room open.”

          “Yeah but since Chansik’s friend, what was his name? Shin Donggeun? He’s not transferring here until next semester so Chansik came to check the place out first,” Ilhoon explained, both to Sungjae and me. I guess Sungjae came home recently as well (considering the fact that Ilhoon had yelled at him for being insolent too) so he was in the same boat as I was. Although he seemed to have met Chansik before this encounter (since they were easily standing next to each other) unlike me. Actually, I’m pretty glad that I hadn’t met Chansik before this since I already had to deal with Hongbin’s creepiness. I didn’t need to have Chansik hitting on me too.

          “’Kay, well, that’s cool. Show him around then, I’m going to my room,” I said as I walked away from the counter. Yeah, honestly, I probably should’ve stayed and helped Ilhoon since I too paid for the rent but Chansik seriously made me nervous. In truth I thought he was another rich boy playing around while his parents paid for their university tuition but then again, I thought the same was about dimples boy so I guess Chansik could prove to be a nice guy in the end. Not that I’d stick around long enough to let him prove it though. Something about the way he acted reminded me of someone, and the easy way he flirted around made me uncomfortable.

          “Hyuk!” Ilhoon said exasperatedly as I disappeared into my room. “That’s rude. People have no respect for their elders these days.”

          “Hyung you’re only two years older than us,” Sungjae piped up. I heard a smack followed by an ‘ow’ so I assumed Ilhoon got violent.

          “It’s okay, leave him be. He’s probably just shy or something, I know lots of people like that,” Chansik said easily and I heard the group turn to walk upstairs. Gritting my teeth, I laid on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. Something about the way Chansik summarized my personality into ‘shy’ pissed me off. Sure, I was kind of antisocial. I didn’t like going outside much and as I mentioned to dimples boy, I didn’t have a lot of friends, but I sure as hell wasn’t shy. The only ing reason I left them was because Chansik was a creepy prick who didn’t understand the concept of personal space. Rolling to my side, I groaned and opened my bag to put my barista uniform away and was met with the smiling face of the stuffed toy dimples boy and the others had given me for my birthday. I relaxed slightly at the sight of it and pulled it out before hugging it to my chest. Abandoning my bag, I rolled back onto my back and held the toy aloft. The animal resembled something between a bear and a dog and was evenly striped with black and white. Its black eyes stared down at me and I could see smaller versions of myself reflected within them.

          “Cute toy,” a voice said from the door. Dropping the animal in surprise, I sat up and whipped my head to stare at the person leaning against my doorframe.

          “You,” I accused, biting back a snarky retort as Chansik causally waltzed into my room. He observed the decor with an amused expression upon his face and settled into my desk chair after he had finished judging the area. I held back a growl at his expression; I could pretty much tell what he was thinking. My room wasn’t much, I didn’t do a lot of decoration and the only thing that held any bit of personality was the scattered items around the floor. I didn’t even have time to put up the Naruto poster my childhood friend had sent me for my birthday. “What do you want?”

          “Nothing really,” Chansik hummed, leaning back into the chair. It was a cheap thing, I picked it up from a garage sale and although the owner had warned me that it was probably rotting, I kept it in good condition. At this moment however, I severely wished I hadn’t fixed it up so it would break right underneath Chansik and wipe that stupid smirk right off his face.

          “Then why are you here?” I said hostilely flinging my feet over the side of my bed. Chansik looked amused (he always had that stupid expression on his face didn’t he?) at my guarded expression before tapping my desk distractedly.

          “Checking out the place includes meeting the housemates no? I wouldn’t want Donggeun to live with a bunch of s right?” Chansik replied, playing the ‘good friend’ card. What a bunch of .

          “Says you,” I grumbled, causing Chansik to laugh loudly.

          “Why so hostile?” Chansik questioned, a mischievous glint appearing his eyes. He had somehow spun the chair around so the back of it was leaning against his toned chest and was leaning his arms on the top of the back of the chair.

          “You invaded my room without permission,” I answered, narrowing my eyes as he raised an eyebrow at my choice of words.

          “What are you? Twelve? Do I have to get your permission to step into places? I’m not a vampire.”

          “And you’re too simple minded to understand when someone’s uncomfortable so if you’d prefer for our relationship to not get too strained, I’d recommend that you leave right now.”

          “Fine, fine,” Chansik said, standing up. He pushed the chair back to its proper place and walked to the door. Turning around, his face seemed to lose a bit of its previous joyfulness as he regarded me with what seemed to be a sad look? “That toy really is adorable. Reminds me of something my roommate bought. Whoever gave it to you probably really thinks you’re special so take care of him okay?” Chansik stated softly before quickly exiting the room.

          “What?” I said, dumfounded. I picked up the toy and stared into its eyes. “Hakyeon hyung and the others bought this for me,” I continued, squeezing the toy’s arms slightly. “How did Chansik know that a male bought this?” I questioned, turning the toy around. Looking down, I saw the tag had been written on. Rolling my eyes I saw one of those childish ‘this belongs to _____’ labels. Looking closer, I saw that it was more of a ‘To: ____ From: ____’ and as I twisted the tag to get better lighting, I remembered that dimples boy had been talking to a boy his height before he had come over to ask me to go on that outing with him. A boy with wavy black hair and soft brown eyes. Just like Chansik. .

To: Han Sanghyuk (you don’t deserve it though you little )

From: Lee Hongbin AKA dimples boy (yeah I know you call me that also only my name goes here ‘cause Hakyeon hyung delegated me to buy this)


DONE. WHOOPS HAS IT BEEN ALMOST A MONTH STILL I LAST UPDATED? DOESN’T TIME PASS QUICKLY. I’m so sorry. I was having writer’s block (couldn’t think of how to word things) and now exams are coming up so I’ve been busy with final assignments and such. I apologize.

Moving on, Hyuk is a little in this chapter. Trolling your hyungs isn’t cool bruh. XD And we meet Chansik. Who is also Hongbin’s friend whom we saw in chapter... Uh, idk the one where Hongbinnie asks Hyuk out on a date outing. To be honest Chansik and Hongbin’s relationship adorbs. Like this and this? Gold. Also VIXX has friends with like, every band istg.

Also more BTOB stuff cause Peniel is here. Yayy~~ There might be a side story *coughs* pairing *coughs* there but I’m not sure yet.

Finally, I’m sorry about the characterization of Gongchan/Chansik? I don’t really listen to B1A4 so I wasn’t 100% certain on his personality so I twisted it around to meet the plot needs. Apologies if I made him a total when in truth he’s an angel.

Once again, thanks for reading and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you’re smiling!

                                                                                                                ~ Alateni