In laws

How Do You Like Your Coffee?

            “Heard you got yourself a man stud,” Ilhoon wiggled his eyebrows as I entered the house. It had been around a week after Hongbin asked me out so I guess word had flown around. Ilhoon winked as I took my shoes off and continued making vague, flirty gestures towards me until I plopped down on the couch next to him.

            “What the hell is a man stud?” I said, half jokingly. “Does anyone even say that in this day and age? Are you even relevant anymore?” Dodging the flailing limb Ilhoon threw at me, I continued my teasing. “Wow, I can really feel the generation gap. Never thought I’d see the day where I’d have to help an old man with what’s hip and trendy. I’ll make sure to go slowly though, no worries, you’ll be caught up with all of today’s slang in no time.”

            “You’re such a little ,” Ilhoon rolled his eyes after his attempts at hitting me failed (honestly, Hakyeon trained me well – the older man knew how to pack a punch). “Now explain yourself. Why did you not think it was important to tell me that you were dating someone? Why did I have to find out through Sungjae of all people?”

            “What’s wrong with finding out from Sungjae? We get a lot of our gossip off of him,” I pointed out. “In fact, without him, I think we’d probably end up living under a rock or something in terms of the rumours that fly around school.”

            “You mean you’d end up living under a rock. Unlike you, I actually talk to people,” Ilhoon flipped his hair, giving me a sassy look. I’d have to introduce him to Hakyeon sometime; they’d probably end up as best friends. “You just sit at home and stare at your laptop all day, are you sure you’re getting enough vitamin D?” Never mind. Between Hakyeon’s motherly teasing and Ilhoon’s friendly insults, I wouldn’t be able to keep my self-esteem or my sanity.

            “I go to the cafe,” I said in defense. “And I hear a lot of stuff there. Most of our customers are students from the university after all.”

            “True enough,” Ilhoon agreed. “I should thank your mother for making you get off your and get a job. It’s helped you. You’re getting tan, you’re going out, you’re meeting new people, you got a boyfriend,” Ilhoon stressed, “which brings me back to my original point. When were you going to tell me about your new boy toy?”

            “He’s not my boy toy,” I rolled my eyes. “And I didn’t know I had to tell you everything I did mom.”

            “You best believe I’m your mother,” Ilhoon announced. “Okay, wait. That sounded weird. Scratch that. In any case,” Ilhoon waved his hand in front of his mouth, as if dismissing the odd words he had said before. “I’m the most motherly figure in your life so I think I deserve to know if you’re dating someone.”

            “Actually,” I said, “Hakyeon hyung is more motherly than you are.”

            “WHAT,” Ilhoon screeched, pretending to be offended. “Who is this Hakyeon fellow?”

            “My boss, at the cafe,” I explained. “You can’t honestly be surprised. Hyung all you do is laze around at home I don’t even see you at the university,” I deadpanned as Ilhoon continued to act scandalized. “I had to cook dinner and feed you yesterday for goodness sakes!”

            “Okay, okay,” Ilhoon laughed. “Maybe I’m not parent material – but still, as your roommate and self-acclaimed best friend, I deserved to know.”

            “Isn’t Sungjae my self-acclaimed best friend?” I asked offhandedly, not that it really mattered.

            “You can have more than one best friend dear,” Ilhoon waved his finger in front of my nose. “Of course, a socially awkward dork like you would never know that feeling. Alas, that is why I have taken it upon myself to befriend you and to show you the wonders of friendship.”

            “You act like I’ve never had a friend before,” I groaned, rubbing my temples. “And can’t you only have one best friend? Isn’t that why they’re the best? Because there can only be one of them? It’s not like you can have three ‘best male swimmers’. Then you’d give out three gold medals? That doesn’t make sense.”

            “Details, details,” Ilhoon sang. “I thought you were studying social sciences Hyuk, not a philosophy major.” I scoffed. “In any case – would you stop changing the topic?

            “Okay, sorry,” I said, slightly scared at the murderous glint in Ilhoon’s eye. The older boy was generally a free-spirited person, fun to joke around with and amusing to watch, but when he got impatient (which was honestly a lot more often than what was healthy) or annoyed... you best believe I’d be running as far away as possible. “I just didn’t think it was important? You don’t really know him anyways.”

            “Know him?” Ilhoon stood up. “Who at Haepari doesn’t know ing Lee Hongbin?” Ilhoon practically growled. “He’s like, royalty. Prince of princes. Celebrity status. Of course I know him!”

            “Stop using so many italics,” I mumbled, covering my ears as Ilhoon went on about how anyone that didn’t know Hongbin was even more of a loner than I was. “Are you done?” I asked, a couple minutes later while Ilhoon took in a deep breath. The boy might be skinny but he could rant for hours.

            “No, but I will let you explain yourself some more,” Ilhoon composed himself before settling back onto the couch. “So, how’d it happen?”

            “Well,” I sighed, knowing it was probably useless at this point to keep anything hidden from Ilhoon. “I met him at the cafe you know, him and Hakyeon hyung apparently go way back. He knows pretty much all of the staff members too; Taekwoon hyung, Wonshik hyung, and Jaehwan hyung all talk to him on a regular basis I think. Anyways, for some reason, after meeting him at the cafe, I started seeing him around school more often so we talked there I guess? Then he asked me out on a couple outings – I’m not calling them dates because we were just hanging out okay, don’t look at me like that – and got closer?” I tilted my head and thought about how I could go around continuing the story without having to include Chansik or Hongbin’s background.

            “You don’t sound very sure of yourself,” Ilhoon observed, narrowing his eyes. “But I’m assuming that’s ‘cause those details are something that should be kept between Hongbin ssi and those close to him.” Leaning back in the couch, Ilhoon looked up at the ceiling – as if in deep thought. “Well, as long as he isn’t forcing you to date him or anything, I guess you guys have my approval.”

            “I needed your approval?” I echoed.

            “Hey guys! I’m home!” Sungjae announced as he shoved the door open with a loud bang. Flinching, I cringed at the possible dent Sungjae may or may not have made in the wall and looked at Ilhoon to see him doing the same.

            “If I have to repair that wall one more time I swear to God,” Ilhoon growled under his breath, visibly shaking in rage.

            “Woah there,” I reached out and placed a hand on Ilhoon’s shoulder. “Let’s not get too hasty now okay? Sungjae is paying like, 2/3 of the rent.”

            “Screw him and his rich family,” Ilhoon muttered, crossing his hands over his chest as Sungjae walked into the room. “Hello brat, did the door break?”

            “Subtle, aren’t you?” I snickered as Sungjae grinned.

            “The door is fine – as is the wall,” Sungjae replied, dropping his bag on the ground. “And my family wouldn’t screw you in a million years,” Sungjae smirked, causing Ilhoon to glare at him. “Joking, joking,” raising his hands in surrender, Sungjae whirled into the kitchen area and started to put away the groceries he had no doubt bought on his way back from class. Seeing as Sungjae was the wealthiest one out of all of us – despite the fact that I had a job at Starlight and Ilhoon worked part-time as a lab assistant – Sungjae was in charge of grabbing the groceries (even though he didn’t have a job). This worked out, seeing as Ilhoon and I were often too busy commuting to and from either school or work, but was also slightly irritating as Sungjae could buy whatever he wanted and we weren’t allowed to argue.

            “Did you buy the disgusting brand of beer again?” Ilhoon asked as he peeked over the couch to see what Sungjae had gotten. “You know I hate that kind.”

            “You shouldn’t drink so much then,” Sungjae replied with a shrug, before placing Ilhoon’s hated beer in the fridge, beside the milk I used to brew coffee (I crinkled my nose at the thought that my coffee might start tasting like beer). “So, what’s up friends? What did I miss as I was so dutifully suffering at the supermarket buying us rations and goods?”

            “You bought chips?” Ilhoon perked up at the sight of the delightful snack Sungjae had placed on the countertop.

            “I had to fight a middle aged mother for them,” Sungjae said proudly. “She said something about how if her son didn’t get them every day at lunch he’d cry for an hour. Spoiled brat was so large I could probably roll him down a hill – he didn’t need them.”

            “That’s mean,” I pointed out, but couldn’t resist cracking a smile when Sungjae imitated the small boy. “I guess he could lose a couple calories,” I shrugged as Sungjae threw a packet of cookies at me. Opening it loudly, I set it on the coffee table next to the couch and took a couple for myself. Ilhoon grabbed a few as well and stuffed them into his mouth. If an outsider were to walk in right now, they’d probably think that we hadn’t eaten in months. Then again, every meal was like this. We were three teenage boys after all – had a lot of growing to do and all that jazz.

            “So, are you going to answer my question?” Sungjae stated as he walked over to the couch and settled down on the floor, a cup of yoghurt in one hand and an apple in the other.

            “We were talking about Hyuk’s love life,” Ilhoon said nonchalantly, leaning over me to grab another cookie from the box and effectively getting crumbs all over my jeans. “And how he’s dating the diamond in the dust, the king to rule all kings, the best of the best–”

            “Okaaay,” I groaned, brushing the cookie crumbs off of my jeans and onto the floor. Someone would deal with them. On second thought, I think I was on vacuuming duty that week. Whatever. Maybe I’d bribe Sungjae to do it or something. “We get it.”

            “Oh right, you’re dating Lee Hongbin himself huh?” Sungjae smiled lopsidedly, always one for drama and gossip. In fact, both Ilhoon and Sungjae practically thrived off of it; I didn’t know how I dealt with them half the time. Oh yeah. I didn’t care about drama, so when the two of them started going on and on about it, it went in through one ear and out the next. This time, however, I (regretfully) couldn’t do that, seeing as they were gossiping about me. Wow, never thought I’d see the day something like that would happen.

            “How is it? Is he all suave and stuff? Rumour has it he’s quite the eloquent speaker,” Ilhoon mentioned, drawing me back into the conversation. Sungjae and he were looking at me expectantly – as if I held all of the answers in the universe. Which, I guess, I did, if your universe revolved around Hongbin. Hey, that sounds like something Hongbin would like to hear maybe I’d mention it to him next time we spoke.

            “He’s... normal?” I tried, confused. “He doesn’t treat me any differently than when we were friends, maybe a little cheesier and touchy but nothing special I don’t think.” Sungjae and Ilhoon nodded as if I had committed murder and they were recording down my alibi. “We message each other a lot more now, although it’s only been a week so I don’t really know what you guys are expecting?”

            “True,” Sungjae said after a moment of silence. “We can’t expect you to be lavished in gifts already. We’ll give him a month.”

            “A month?” Ilhoon spluttered. “No way! He should be giving gifts already, think of the one week anniversary! Or the one month? Two month? I wonder what he’ll do for 100 days.”

            “Why can’t Hyukkie be the one giving gifts? Are you assuming he’ll take the female role in the relationship?” Sungjae argued.

            “Well no – mind yourself gay couples don’t really like falling into the regular male and female role type thing – but I just thought Hongbin ssi would be more forward you know. Wasn’t he the one who asked Hyuk out in the first place?” Ilhoon replied, waving his hands in the air as if to prove a point.

            “True, Hongbin was the one who made the first move,” Sungjae nodded, scratching his chin as if he was in deep thought. “But you never know, maybe Hyuk will be the more dominant one in the relationship stage.”

            “Wait, didn’t Hongbin ssi give Hyuk a present for his birthday?” Ilhoon tilted his head in thought. “That was before they started dating right? Hyukkie even has it in his room, on his bed if I remember correctly. His entire room is always a mess but it’s always there.”

            “Interesting,” Sungjae sang. “I’ll have to add this to my data and rethink another hypothesis.”

            “Hold the phone what the hell are you two talking about?” I finally cut in, absolutely done with the fact that Ilhoon and Sungjae were discussing this whole... who was the more dominant one in the relationship thing in front of my face. “And why have you been in my room hyung?”

            “Oh nothing,” Ilhoon reached over to pat me on the head. “You don’t have to worry your pretty little head about this. Just... if Hongbin does something interesting come and tell hyung okay? I’ll have to record it down and read it at your wedding about how I knew Hongbin ssi would be the one to propose.”

            “What wedding?” I spluttered, flushing slightly at the thought. “Can we all just calm down for a minute?”

            “Does this mean I’ll be a best man?” Sungjae wondered. “I’ve always wanted to wear a suit and announce a toast in front of a crowd and talk about the embarrassing times I’ve spent with the groom.”

            “Why do you get to be the best man?” Ilhoon snorted, springing up in his seat. “Obviously – because I’m older – I’ll be the best man right?”

            “You got to be the best man at your sister’s wedding!” Sungjae complained, whacking Ilhoon in the shoulder. “So obviously it’s my turn!”

            “That didn’t really count what was I supposed to say? ‘Hey Minjoo remember that time you smacked me with your cup but I didn’t tell mom so you bought me ice cream the next day while we were walking home from school yeah those were good times’?” Ilhoon replied indignantly.

            “It still counts! You got to wear the fancier suit and sit at the head table – that was really cool admit it,” Sungjae pouted.

            “Okay, fine, it was pretty cool,” Ilhoon said. “I got to wear a tailcoat.”

            “Exactly,” Sungjae snapped his fingers. “Therefore, I should get to be the best man this time for Hyukkie.”

            “Well I want to plan the wedding then,” Ilhoon declared. “Minjoo works as an interior designer anyways, it probably runs in the family.”

            “Why are we planning my non-existent wedding?” I asked loudly, glaring at both Ilhoon and Sungjae. Those two got along almost too well sometimes. Like now.

            “Because it’s exciting!” Sungjae said matter-of-factly. “Besides, don’t be so negative, it’ll happen someday.”

            “It’s not because I’m not getting married yet,” I sighed.

            “You’re not?” Ilhoon questioned. “Is there trouble in the relationship already?”

            “There isn’t but it’s far too early to be thinking of m-marriage isn’t it?” I said, stumbling over the word. God it was embarrassing thinking about it much less saying it.

            “Never too early to plan!” Sungjae announced, ing his fist into the air. “That’s what my dad always told me anyways.” Shrugging, Sungjae let his hand drop back into his lap. “Anyways, when are we going to meet the groom?”

            “I thought I was the groom?” I pointed at myself.

            “We already established that since Hongbin ssi was the one proposing he’d be the groom. You’re obviously the bride. I wonder how you’d look in a dress,” Ilhoon stated. “I think you’d look really good in lace Hyuk. And maybe a sweetheart neckline? That would look just adorable.”

            “Okay, one, ew,” Sungjae pointed at Ilhoon. “Why are you thinking of Hyuk cross dressing, and two, Ilhoon is right. Kind of. Hongbin is definitely the groom but I don’t want to see you in a dress. You’ll just... be the less groom-y groom.”

            “What the hell is a less groom-y groom,” I deadpanned, staring at Sungjae in absolute confusion and wonderment. How did this man get such good grades?

            “You,” Sungjae smirked. “In any case, when are we going to meet the man of the hour, Mr. Lee Hongbin himself?”

            “Didn’t you guys say you already met him?” I sighed again. “Considering he’s the ‘king of kings’ of Haepari,” I quoted.

            “That’s not the same,” Ilhoon stated. “He has to formally introduce himself to us and ask for your hand in marriage – or, er, at least for permission to woo you or something,” Ilhoon smiled weakly at my glare. “If anything we should talk to him. It wouldn’t be fair if we didn’t try to at least get to know your boyfriend right?”

            “I guess,” I said, slowly seeing the sense in Ilhoon’s words.

            “See! I’m not that illogical!” Ilhoon smiled, leaning back into the couch.

            “Your logic is just hilariously skewed at times,” Sungjae muttered, causing Ilhoon to pop back up and fling his skinny body onto him. Scooting over and getting off of the couch, I stepped around the flailing pile of limbs and retreated back into my room. Once I locked the door behind me (hopefully Ilhoon wouldn’t be able to pick the lock again – that boy had way too many tricks up his sleeve), I jumped onto my bed and took my phone out. Staring at the screen, I noticed the notification light blinking and turned the screen on to check it.
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[8:36 PM]
Hey did u get home okay?
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:04 PM]
Yeah
[9:04 PM]
I was talking to my roommates about stuff
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:06 PM]
Wat kind of stuff ;)
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:06 PM]
Ew
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:10 PM]
Im sorry i couldn’t resist
[9:10 PM]
Tell meeee
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:12 PM]
Only if u promise never to do something like that again
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:12 PM]
Okay okay i promise
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:14 PM]
Alright fine
[9:14 PM]
They wanna meet u
[9:20 PM]
U ok??
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:21 PM]
THEY WANT TO MEET ME
[9:21 PM]
WHAT
[9:21 PM]
I
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:22 PM]
Y r u freaking out
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:22 PM]
!!!!
[9:22 PM]
Why do they wanna meet me???
 
MESSAGE TO: dimples boy
[9:24 PM]
Cause apparently they’re ur inlaws now and they have to approve of u before u woo me
[9:24 PM]
They also planned out our wedding
[9:24 PM]
i have a best man picked
 
MESSAGE FROM: dimples boy
[9:31 PM]
Wtf

And with this we revisit BTOB because we haven't done that in a while and I feel bad. Whoops?

ALSO GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS. MARCH 16. YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE HAPPENED ON MARCH 16 A YEAR AGO? I STARTED THIS FIC. WHOO! *confetti falls* this also means I'm a bad author because this fic is a year old and I've only written 18 chapters. Sorry...

So yeah I wasn’t going to update today but I realized the date ^^^^^ and exocat15 reminded me that this story is still a thing. Which reminds me if I ever take a long time to update throw me a message and I’ll get on it I need the motivation from you peeps love you all.

Once again, thanks for reading and I do not own anything in this story other than the idea and plot, any similarities to other works of fiction are purely coincidental or have been used as sources of inspiration. Please do not repost this anywhere without my permission; plagiarism isn’t nice!

Hope you’re smiling!

~ alateni

 PS: Thanks to PhantomThorn and Ailinh for upvoting!!