05 Ferris Wheel

The Amateur Spies

A/N: The long awaited (I think) Sulay chapter is here. Just a reminder once again: this is my first fic. So I apologise in advance if it's too much or maybe the opposite. Enjoy ^^

--

“Is there something on my face?”

“Nope, you’re fine.”

“Then stop staring.”

“But you’re so cute when you’re blushing like that,” Yixing replied, eyes still boring at the person in front of him. His food long forgotten, he placed his chin on his propped elbow. “Was it really that scary? It was fun, right?”

Joonmyeon snorted, his fork playing with the pasta on his plate. “For you, it was. For me, it was like that exact moment when a plane lands on the ground but without a seatbelt.” He begrudgingly took a bite of his food as if it was the source of his bad mood and he had to eat it to make it go away.

“At least you’re more strapped in,” he said, reaching out a hand to wipe the sauce glued on the other’s chin for the nth time that day. “Are you eating like a savage on purpose?”

He pouted and slapped the other’s hand away. “You’re so mean,” he mumbled, grabbing a sheet of tissue and cleaned his mouth area as best as he could. “There, happy?”

A handsome smile made an appearance on Yixing’s face. “Silly Joonie. You missed a spot.” His thumb returned to its position below Joonmyeon’s mouth and brushed the sauce away. Once spotless, he brought the finger into his own mouth. “Yumm, Kim Joonmyeon flavour.”

There was a flash of desire before it was quickly replaced by a blush. Joonmyeon was even redder now. They’ve been dating for over three years but Yixing never failed to surprise him when it came to being cheesy. He might even be the cheesiest person on Earth, which was an exaggeration of course, but Joonmyeon admitted it was on the reasons he loved that guy in the first place as it was always accompanied by that dimpled smile.

Their first meeting was when they were still new at the university, around four years ago. There was a small gathering held particularly for the new professors and both of them were some of the guests. Joonmyeon was talking to one of the senior lecturers when Yixing drew near to introduce himself. What attracted him first was the dimple that emerged when smiling. It was to the point that he almost reached out a finger to give it a poke (he had to clench his fists to resist from doing that).

As the late afternoon changed to evening, Yixing had never left his side. He stayed with him like they had known each other before that get-together. But it’s not like Joonmyeon hated the situation; it was actually quite the opposite because he liked his company. He retracted what he had thought earlier about not going to enjoy the time because he assumed the guests would be (much, much) older than him. Both of them had been laughing for a while and Joonmyeon decided to make him laugh as much as he could to see that dimple.

On the other hand, Yixing fell for Joonmyeon’s eyesmile. It was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen and he didn’t even care if he was exaggerating because he really thought so. When he entered the hall that day, his eyes searched through the crowd for people his age. He knew that the professors at the university were mostly senior and while he had high respect for them, he would like to get to know the young ones as well. So when his eyes landed on Joonmyeon, he couldn’t help but smile like a kid and walked towards his direction.

And he was glad he did because he found the person to be interesting. Kim Joonmyeon was talkative, unlike himself, but it was a good thing as he thought that being friends with people of that personality would never be boring. He also smiled a lot in which his eyes would make a crescent moon most of the times. Yixing knew he had to make the other guy laugh often even if he had to be cheesy because a blushing Joonmyeon was even cuter.

“So there’s one more attraction to ride before we go home today.”

The shoulders on Joonmyeon noticeably sagged; even his blush had disappeared. “Aren’t you tired? I’m exhausted and my throat hurts.”

“I am,” Yixing calmly replied. “That’s why we’re riding the Ferris Wheel since we’re just going to sit and enjoy the view. There’s no need to scream, unless of course you want to do something else.” He looked up from his noodles to find a flustered expression on his lover’s face and he had to put the most innocent look as he tried his best to suppress his laughter from coming out. “We could have been playing some cards and shouting for fun. Get your mind out of the gutter, Joonie-ya. Are you blushing on purpose so I could kiss you right here, right now?”

Joonmyeon’s eyes were wide by this time. His heart felt like it could burst out of his chest. Judging by the pounding it was making, he was sure he might have to pay a visit at the nearest hospital. Or maybe it was a good idea so he could escape from the dreadful ride, even if it’s only a Ferris Wheel and the last attraction of the day. He’s not much of a fan of PDA because he would rather be romantic with Yixing in private, with no witnesses.

An hour later, they found themselves lining up for the Ferris Wheel. It was one of the attraction rides of the whole theme park so the queue was pretty long and crowded. Yixing was standing right behind Joonmyeon and breathing on his neck, both of his hands holding the railings on each side. If it was someone else, Joonmyeon might have to turn around and throw some punches for the personal space invasion. Both of them were so close that Joonmyeon could feel Yixing’s body heat on his back.

There were some excuses why Yixing had to be behind Joonmyeon. One was because many people were around them so they wouldn’t lose each other in the mob. Two was to stop Joonmyeon from running off to a bench nearby so he wouldn’t have to ride the Ferris Wheel. Three was to prevent anyone from touching or flirting with Joonmyeon.

Yixing knew that the other was (too) attractive and everyone at the university – lecturers included –liked him. He didn’t mind watching them fanning over Joonmyeon because he was sure nobody would take him away as they knew he wasn’t single; they just didn’t know who he’s going out with. In public though, it’s a different case. Joonmyeon attracted a lot of people and Yixing felt like if he blinked too slowly, someone might just run away with Joonmyeon. That’s why his current position was the best as he could see the front and anybody from the back had to literally go over him to be able to even see the guy.

“You’re awfully quiet,” Yixing commented, resting his chin on top of Joonmyeon’s shoulder. “Are you sick? We can go home if you want.”

It was very tempting to say yes. Yixing’s caring words melted him like ice cream on a sunny day. But he fought the urge to turn around and leave the park for home. He knew how much Yixing had been looking forward to coming here. And he would hate himself if he ruined the date. It was almost over, anyway. And Yixing was there beside him all the time (extremely touchy too, but he’s not complaining) so he could and should bear with it.

“No, I’m good,” he replied, nudging his head a little to the side to where Yixing’s was. His frantic heartbeats slowed to a steadier pace as he took several deep breaths to calm himself. “Just … just hold my hand through the whole ride.”

Yixing put on a lazy smile. “No need to ask. I planned to hold all of you, hyung.” The last word brought shivers down Joonmyeon’s spine as it was rarely spoken. “I’m not letting you go.” He pressed a chaste kiss on the cheek.

Soon, it was their turn to board. Joonmyeon’s heartbeats were erratic, gaining speed as if on a race. For some reason, his anxiety was higher than the previous rides. Ferris Wheel is not extreme, he told himself repeatedly like a mantra, but the pounding was still fast. Maybe it was due to the fact that there were no seatbelts and also because of the massive size of the ride itself, which would mean that the distance between the ground and the gondola would be really far.

“Let’s go,” Yixing said, pushing him a little so they could start moving to enter the gondola. Once inside, he kept his hold on Joonmyeon’s hand as they took a seat on the same side. The ride moved bit by bit to let the other passengers in and every time it did, Joonmyeon would tighten his grip in fear and Yixing would the back of his hand lovingly with his thumb. “It’s such a beautiful view. Look.”

The older guy shook his head vigorously, his eyes closed tightly. “Nope, I’m never opening my eyes. No, wait, Yixing.” His hand was suddenly lifted upwards and the gondola moved a little, causing him to panic. “Where are you going? Xing-ah, stop moving.”

“You have to see this. You won’t regret it.” Yixing pulled him up with ease even though Joonmyeon refused to give in. Once both of them were up, Yixing positioned himself behind Joonmyeon with arms encircled around the waist, leaning their heads against each other. “Hey, I’ve got you. Open your eyes.”

It took a little more than that to finally get Joonmyeon to comply. When he did, the hold on Yixing’s arms was so strong, it kind of hurt. But some time later, the whole body in front of Yixing relaxed and eventually he could even loosen the hug a bit as Joonmyeon moved around step by step to see the vast land from the top of the ride.

“Wow,” Joonmyeon sighed in a disbelief tone. His eyes were wide open and staring ahead, never straying down. “This is really high. Those buildings look like Lego blocks.”

Yixing chuckled softly, his laughter vibrating on the other’s back and bringing a tingling feeling on his stomach. “Then, let’s pretend we just built this entire city with Lego and currently we’re admiring what we’ve just done. Except we’re moving little by little.”

As if understood what was just uttered, the ride budged, changing its pace to a slightly faster speed. Joonmyeon slowly retreated a few steps with Yixing following along and both of them returned to their seats side by side, arms not letting go of each other. For a while, they were quiet. Only the noise of their surroundings was heard. Even Joonmyeon’s heart was steady at the moment. But the peace was short-lived as Yixing suddenly guffawed out of the blue, his breath tickling Joonmyeon’s neck.

“Have you ever heard of the Legend of the Ferris Wheel?” Yixing asked, his tone clearly not serious at all. And Joonmyeon took notice, so he decided to humour him and played along.

“No, what is it about?”

A smirk made its appearance on his face. “It says that if a couple shares a kiss and keeps their lips locked for the entire circle of the ride, their relationship will be long-lasting. 100% guaranteed.” Yixing placed a kiss on his neck and stayed there as he continued, “Why don’t we try it? You know, for the sake of the legend. We could get cursed or something if we didn’t do it.”

Joonmyeon snorted and pushed himself off of him, immediately missing the warmth on his back. He turned himself towards Yixing, amusement expressed on both of their faces. “For the sake of the legend, huh? Yeah, why not?” They started leaning closer to each other slowly. “We wouldn’t want to live the rest of our lives with a curse on our back now, would we?”

“You talk too much,” Yixing said before grabbing the man in front of him by the cheeks and crashing their lips together.

It was slow at first, like testing the waters if it’s okay by the other. But as time passed by, Joonmyeon grew impatient and resolved to deepen the kiss. He took a fistful of Yixing’s shirt around the waist to pull himself closer until he’s practically on Yixing’s lap. There’s not a single part of their bodies that’s not touching; even their legs were tangled with each other in a very weird way.

The ride suddenly stopped moving, an indication that one full circle was done and passengers were getting off the gondolas. But the couple stayed in their position, hearts beating in sync as if one person. The kiss was still going on like there’s no care in the world, as though one of them owned the Ferris Wheel and it would only stop at their command.

He should build his own theme park, Yixing thought to himself, as he slowed down the kiss. When those two did separate, Joonmyeon looked so disappointed that Yixing was really close to continuing their make-out session. Instead, he gave the older guy a peck on the corner of the mouth.

“To be continued,” he said, Joonmyeon’s cheek with his thumb. “We’re nearly on the ground.”

Joonmyeon blinked his eyes several times, taking his words in. The wheels inside his head turned and finally clicked, and he realised where they were. “I thought we’re at home,” he mumbled bashfully. He then untangled his legs from the other’s and tried his best to tidy up his appearance, starting from his hair to his jeans. Once he thought it neat, he looked towards Yixing. “How do I look?”

“Edible,” Yixing almost immediately answered, which was true. The man beside him had most of his hair going in every possible direction, his shirt slightly wrinkled at some places, and his lips swollen red. People would definitely know what went on inside the gondola and Yixing couldn’t be prouder that he’s the one who did it.

“Zhang Yixing,” he whined, the heat from the previous activity returning. “I’m serious.”

“Me too,” he replied calmly as he reached out a hand towards his head and ran his fingers through the silky strands. “You look like someone just kissed you senseless.” He paused. “And I will kiss you again if you keep pouting like that.  I wouldn’t be able to stop this time.”

Joonmyeon hurriedly clasped a hand in front of his mouth, causing the other man to laugh softly.

“There, all handsome and pretty like you always are.” His hand lingered on Joonmyeon’s face before trailing down to his shirt to sort out the wrinkles. “Perfect.”

“Why are you cheesier than normal?” Joonmyeon mumbled, his face and neck turning pink at the exaggerated compliments. In return, he organised Yixing’s appearance, fully aware that eyes were on him and watching his every move. “Nobody’s perfect.”

“To me, you are.”

Before Joonmyeon could retort, the door of the gondola opened from outside. Everyone was looking at them, focused eyes locked on those two. Whereas it was impossible to see inside from the shiny windows, people could figure out what happened if they were smart enough. Their slightly disorganized attires spoke louder than words and Joonmyeon was blushing like there’s no tomorrow, making it even more obvious. But Yixing ignored the curious eyes and got out of the gondola.

“Let’s go,” Yixing said, his hand reaching out towards his. He knew Joonmyeon didn’t like public display of affection that much so he was surprised when the hand was grabbed. With a smile threatening to rip his face into two, he pulled Joonmyeon closer and walked out. “Let’s go home.”

THE END

A/N: Thank you for those who have been following this story from chapter one. Thank you for subscribing, reading, commenting, and upvoting this story. Please don't forget to comment :)