01 Introvert

The Amateur Spies

“Okay, class is dismissed. I’ll see you guys on Monday.”

At the end of the sentence, he flashed all of us his trademark smile. His eyes turned into a crescent moon, making him look younger than all of his students. If I wasn’t in his class to witness it with my own eyes and attend his lessons, I wouldn’t have believed that he’s actually a professor in my department. I would say people were lying if they told me he‘s not a student.

Instead of securing my things into my bag, I watched him. He was currently doing what I was supposed to be doing. His angelic smile was still evident, as if permanent and inked on his gorgeous face. It only turned wider when he looked up to reply ‘bye’ to the others.

Ever since our first class with him, I had never seen him get angry at all. The worse that he had done so far was nag, but even then he was still smiling. Thankfully, it’s not the weird and creepy kind; it was still very charming of him. And that’s one of the reasons why I had a crush on him.

I flinched when his attention was suddenly directed at me. There’s confusion all over his face but the smile had never once disappeared. Maybe the only time it’s gone would be when he’s asleep.

Then, I realised I was staring at him and he looked even more confused than before. I cleared my throat at my rudeness. “Y-yes, sir?” I had a feeling he just asked me a question when I was still in my dreamland.

“Aren’t you going home? Or do you still have another class to go?”

I quickly shot up from my seat as if it was a hot iron, causing my chair to squeak against the hard tile and making me wince at the sudden noise. “N-no, I’m finished for the day, professor.” No matter how many times I had spoken to him, the nervousness was still around. And the distance between us was actually pretty far; I had to increase the volume of my voice.

“Then, what are you still doing here? Go out and have some fun with your friends. Tomorrow is Saturday,” he reminded me. “Even I’m going out afterwards.”

I was an introvert. I would rather stay at home, cook myself some dinner, and have it in front of the TV with my most comfortable pyjamas than mingling with people in crowded places. I didn’t have that many friends, except my school ones who were almost all on the other side of the country. I didn’t talk much with people unless necessary.

“Well, I’d best be going,” he suddenly said, surprising me once again (I have to stop daydreaming). “My date is waiting for me.” His smile was so soft that I got a bit jealous of his girlfriend for dating Professor Kim. She’s really lucky.

“Have a nice weekend, sir,” I replied as I saw him walking towards the door at the side of this auditorium.

He stopped on his tracks and looked back. “You too. Take care and see you on Monday.” He then said my name, which was the first time because I thought he didn’t know. He taught three classes with more than 40 students each, so there would be a very low chance that he would remember our names. So you could imagine how stupid I looked when I whispered bye to his retreating back.

When the door was finally closed behind him, I sank back to my seat slowly. He smiled at me! Yeah, he always did that to the whole class, but that simple yet handsome smile was directed at me. He even knew my name! I had to write this somewhere so I could remember it forever. A silly smile of my own formed on my mouth as I finally started packing up my things.

With a content heart, I walked out of the department building. There were still a lot of students hanging around, either sitting on the grass on top of a mat they had brought or on the benches nearby. I had never done any of that since I usually went straight home or passed the time on the library before the next class. That day was no exception.

Until I saw Professor Kim walking a few metres ahead of me. I would recognise that backpack from kilometres away. The bag was similar to any others, but what differentiated his were his key chains. One was a nametag with his initials on it: KJM. And the other one – what made it really, really unique – was a small stuffed unicorn with several dangling music notes.

I jogged a little so the distance between us wouldn’t be too far away. For some reason, I didn’t want to lose sight of him. I was curious of his girlfriend. Maybe she went to this university too because we’re currently not walking towards the gate. Instead, it’s the direction to the Department of Music.

I came to a halt as Professor Kim called out someone’s name with his right hand reached up. He then started to walk on the pathways to the benches. Waiting there was a man, a handsome one at that. He was slightly taller than the professor when he stood up and met my lecturer halfway.

Professor Kim’s smile was different from the ones he had during classes. This one was softer, as if reserved for a special person. Then, I realised that they’re dating. I was jealous of that man.

TO BE CONTINUED

--

A/N: This whole idea for the story was a product from chatting online with nichelle. She was actually the one who gave me Sulay fics and reading lots of them made me want to make one myself. So this is the result. I hope you enjoy and please don't forget to comment :)