Chapter 2

Single British Dad

Agnes POV 

 

“Agnes! Come down here poppet!” I heard my father already called for me from downstairs. I huffed, this bag is really hard to zip. I lay on my stomach above my suitcase as I struggling with the zippers. It didn’t even work!

It’s better if Andrea was here. Andrea is my nanny and she helps me with everything from educating me, bringing me out and cleaning the house. But now she’s with her family at Yorkshire after having given out her time off –with Louise the cook- last week. And now, I’m stuck here with this bloody bag that didn’t want to cooperate with me! I start to think that father planned on giving Andrea’s time off earlier than it should be just so that no one will help me packing. .

I don’t know how long I’m struggling with this bag because I heard the door opens.

“Oh Aggie.” Looks like little of a father is here.

I heard him chuckled before strutting over to me for help.

“You look like a turtle having constipation.” He teased me!

“Shut up and help me with this bag! I’m sure you already have your fun on watching my misery!” I hissed. I am definitely not a bloody turtle!

“Smart girl and hey! Watch your words!” He angrily points out, a frown shows on that pretty face of his.

Sometimes I wonder if father is really a father, he’s more like a mumsy to me; He’s just too beautiful to be a father. He should be a mother instead because he’ll make one good, pretty, sassy mumsy.

He’ll kill me if I said that to him. Too much of his ‘manly’ pride.

I heard him chuckle; probably because of my absolute failure.

“Here, let me help sweetie.” I moved myself from the bag to let him help me.

Well, it’s quite obvious where I got my ‘absolute strength’ from. Father is as weak as a brewed tea! I could see frustration and angry veins pop up all over his face.

“Tch, what’s with this bag?” I heard him muttered under his breath. I know how you feel.

“Let me help too.” I trudge over to him and jump on top of my bag while my father tried to pull the zip together –while tucking back some articles that pop out from the bag.

“Is everything alright sire?” Mr Oliver, our driver, peeked from the door, probably trying to hide his amusement of our current father-daughter issue.

“Goodness! Let me help!” He insisted while trying to hold back a laugh. I see that.

Father shrugged at the back of his neck sheepishly. He is definitely not a physical type –from what I learn from Andrea.

I trudged down from the bag and walk to my father’s side and observe Mr Oliver’s problem solving.

Mr Oliver professionally and easily zipping the bag that left us Thatcher’s standing aside like a useless dust.

“Alright, there we go!” Mr Oliver smiled at his accomplishment, pulling up the handle of the bag with my valise on his other hand. He turns his gaze to us. “Now let us head to the airport shall we? Wouldn’t want to be one of those late comers now don’t we?” He reminds us.

Father stares blankly at the bag before snapping out of his trance.

“Of course.” He muttered.

I put on my coat before grabbing a hold of my father’s hand as he guides me downstairs.

Our house is really big and spacey, it’s an English manor passed down through centuries until father bought it when I was four. Father is a very successful lawyer, from what I see in a serious business movies, he could even open his own law firm by now if he’s this filled and skilled. But still, he sticks up to work under other’s firm. At least that firm is a bloody famous one; couldn’t let such prodigy go to waste.

Mr Oliver loaded all our bags onto the Rolls Royce Phantom bonnet. I swiftly entered the back seat before my father joins in.

“I can’t wait to be at Korea!” I exclaimed, feeling the joy surging through me like a hot chocolate lava –I love those hot lava cake.

“I can’t wait to go to Korea sweetie.” My father corrected for me. “But I’m glad you feel anticipated about going, it’s been a while since I’ve last been there, about ten years or so I think.”

“Wooow! That’s long! I didn’t even exist that time.” 

My father chuckled, showing one of his angelic smile while he ruffled my hair making it slightly a mess; and it took me five bloody times to get it right!

“I’m eleven that time poppet.”

“Well I’m six now!” I exclaim proudly.

“Still a month early to proclaim your age dearie.”

“I am six already!” I defended myself. My birthday is in February and I couldn’t wait to celebrate it because we will be in Korea that time!

For a busy man, father told me that he’s taking the 3 months break just to have a vacation with me. He is really the best father I could have even if he’s a jerk sometimes. Well he’s still young from what he told me, people often mistake us as siblings when we’re actually a father and daughter. I couldn't say no to that because father –even if he’s in late teens- really has such young face.

I’ve never been to any other places aside from our house, my ballet school, the shops, my grandfather’s house which is in Scotland and the airport -to visit my grand. So, this is a new experience for me to go to a foreign land and I’m just so extremely elevated!


Feeling bored, I watched the gray sky that never seems to end in England. I rest my head on father’s shoulder, even if he’s not that warm he’s just comfortable for me.

I hum myself a song that I usually heard with father. He and I are a big fan of music and we always listen together. My favourite is Coldplay, I’m humming one of their song right now; Yellow. I felt my father’s hand gripping gently on mine before he start humming with me. Just a perfect sound.

I have a small family that only consist of father and me. My father is a busy man and I always left alone at home with Andrea. Both him and I have one same interest which is music, he always share a nice music with since I’m three; mostly light and ballad song.

From the movies that I watched, kids like me supposed to be at kindergarten learning A,B,C’s and smudging paint to their friend’s face but I guessed I’m different. My father said that kindergarten will corrupt my mind so that’s why he insists on teaching me whenever he’s on break –which is very understandable, fun and advance. But sometimes Andrea will teach me because like I said, father is a busy man.

This trip to Korea is for our father-daughter bonding time which really perks my eagerness. It’s not every day I get to be with him!

We arrived at a very familiar building; Heathrow airport. This is where I’ll be when I visiting my grandfather. Talk about grandfather, he’s the best. He’s quiet like father but he’s actually very playful. He is a handsome man, he didn’t look that old in fact, he looks just young, younger than any other grandfather and fathers that I saw in movies. I wonder if we get to visit him again for Christmas this year because we didn’t visit him for Christmas last year due to father’s work and grandfather is also one busy man.

Mr Oliver parked the car at the airport’s valet. Quickly, he went to the bonnet to bring out our luggage.

My father opens the car door for me before he exits from it too. Father puts on his sunglasses while grabbing onto his luggage’s handle.

“Well sir, I’ll be seeing you in three months. I hope you have a splendid journey.” Mr Oliver smiled as he and father shook hands. I grab a hold of my luggage and wave my hand to Mr Oliver. He smiled at me before patting my head.

“And you too little princess.”

I smiled and nod my head. Mr Oliver then bid us goodbye before he drive away.

“Put on your shades sweetheart, I can already hear the cameras inside.” I followed. My father grabs my hand and leads me into the airport.

Like always, there are a lot of people snapping photos of us. Father is a professional lawyer, the youngest and the most highly paid in UK so it’s not impossible to have ‘paparazzi’ –from what I heard from a song- trailing after him.

Father lifts me up after we checked in our luggage. I’m sure our expression is the same by now. The workers at our house – which is only Andrea, Mr Oliver and Louise- often said that it is our famous expression; The Thatcher’s poker face.

We fled out of the paparazzi after we reached the security system. Now, we’re in the shopping department, Duty Free.

“We should go now, there’s only 10 minutes before the gate close.” Father informed. He grabs his hand luggage whilst I grab my valise. I was about to follow my father when something caught my eyes. My eyes sparkled at the sight of it.

“Father!!” I called, he turned around to me.

“Can I have that?” I points out to a beautiful light brown bear, clothe up in a blue coat and a pair of red boots with red hat on its head. My favourite cartoon and will always be my first cartoon, Paddington Bear. I have been searching for that in Harrods all time but it's always sold out!

I may be come from a wealthy family but it’s not like I’ve always ask for things every single day like a spoil brat I watched like Eloise At The Plaza. Just once a month. But when it comes to a certain things –which is Paddington Bear- I will HAVE it.

“Seriously Agnes?” My father raised one of his eyebrows but I just gave him one of my rare puppy eyes. I see my father’s eye twitch. Yes, let it twitch.

“Alright! But make it quick! Here.” He handed me 50 pounds and I grab -thanked him first- it and rushed to the mini Harrods shop.

After buying my beloved bear –receiving some balances- we’re off to the First Class gate of the plane. The stewardess gave us a smile and googly eyes at my father. Father is an attractive lad so it’s not impossible for every people to favour him.

But that doesn’t mean I will let anyone have him, no one can have him unless they deserve my blessing. Which is not easy!

We got into our cubicle seats and make ourselves comfortable. I let out a yawn; I suddenly feel the sleepiness surround me. My father my hair with his magic touch that manages to sooth me to sleep every night.

“Just go to sleep poppet, this will be a long journey than in Scotland.” He whispered with his soft voice.

I complied and hugs my bear before I let the sleep took over.


Allen’s POV

I stared at the little girl sleeping beside me. Agnes is really different from other child. She has this mentality like a teenager, loves to watch movies -Not the Rated one- and listening to song rather than run around and making noise like what children her age should.

This really comforts me. I’m not really a good father; I’m still young, in my late teens. But with her mature personality, she can be both my friend and daughter. I know that's not how the chemistry should work for a father and six years-old girl but I'm really glad to have her as my daughter. It’s as if she was bound to be my daughter.

I direct my eyes from her to the window beside me, watching as the clouds rolled by with the warm sun reflecting the clouds with its ray. Sometimes I feel like the worst father ever. I haven’t had any time with my daughter much as being a professional lawyer means new cases and demand every day. Defend that defend this, it’s all just too frustrating. I just hope that this trip could let us strengthen our bonds more closely.

Agnes never complains; never ask about the lost of a mother’s presence and she’s just too. . . Understanding. I want to know her more, as a father. It sometimes worries me if she's really fine with only just a single father as her family.

I looked at her features. She really has a mixture of mine and Sofia’s looks. Since both Sofia and I are much more of a western mix than Korean, the Korean genes is also very little in Agnes.

I smiled; she’s just too precious that I couldn't trade her for the world.