Prologue

Single British Dad

                         

 

Allen really loves Sofia; she is like the oxygen for him to breath. They met each other since primary school, being friends until they’ve grown into each other every day. Sofia confessed to Allen at the age of twelve.

“I. . . I love you Allen.” 12 year-old Sofia stammered.

Allen smiled. “I love you as well Sofia!”

A start of pure, innocent love.

 

They were well known at their high school as the ‘Ballad Couple’ because of their interest in ballad music. Sometimes they can be found leaning against each other with a piece of earphone bud stick to one ear as they share it together.

“What song is this?”

“Home, by Edwarde Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero, beautiful isn’t it?”

“It reminds me of home, a family.” They shared a laugh, agreeing to each other.

 

It’s just curiosity, they’ve never knew what will happen. It happen when they were just fifteen, going to a friend’s party. This is the age where teenagers start to rebel and socializing.

“Coldplay!? I love it! Let’s dance Al!”

“Hold your horses Sofie, you look like a lunatic!” Allen laughed.

“You better shut your bloody mouth before I stuff them up with blubber and dance with me!” Sofia demand.

“Alright princess.” Allen snickered before complying and enjoy their gleeful night.

One time they are dancing and laughing with each other and the next was a blur due to those alcohols. They don’t know what happen, but Sofia ends up pregnant at such young age. Allen never knew she is pregnant his child, Sofia avoids him for almost a year! Allen misses her, her soft words, her gentle smile he misses everything about her! But she always brushes him off and avoids him; Allen never notices the bump of her stomach.

‘Why are you avoiding me Sofie?’

 

It was a chill February the day Allen receives both shocking and sad news. He got a call from his friend Liam about Sofia being sent to the hospital. Allen didn’t even wait a tick before he sprint to his car and onto the hospital.

“Allen, your child.” Shocking was all Allen felt when Liam handed him a lilac bundle that held an infant.

He never knew Sofia was pregnant, of his child until now. When Allen stared at the beautiful bundle tuck on his arm, something opens up his heart. She is beautiful. She has most of the looks from Allen and Sofia’s traits. This is the blessing created from him and Sofia. Such a beautiful girl. A very beautiful blessing. Allen cried hard that time.

‘It would be good if Sofia’s here to see.’

 

It’s a choice, whether to save the child or herself. Sofia could only reply with a weak smile. It would be good to see her lover’s face one last time. Her beautiful, charming Alexander. A single tear left her beautiful hazel eyes. It’s obvious;

“Save her. . .”

Allen cried, he is too late. He can’t see his love face even for one last time; he felt miserable. Only Liam and Blair were there to comfort him.

There’s only this child that left of Sofia’s. And he vowed to take care of her, nurtured her with a lot of love.

He will become both father and a mother to Agnes Thatcher.