Setting up the tree

Always room for you

Setting up the tree

 

 

 

 

It’s about 9 in the morning when Minseok hears Junmyeon’s car pulling over outside his house. Luhan had left earlier for work and he wouldn’t be back until late tonight.

 

“Hey, Minseok,” Junmyeon greets at the door.

 

“Hey, Junmyeon. Come in.”

 

He enters and makes himself comfortable in the living room. It’s not like this is the first time he’s ever been inside his home and Minseok even knows how Junmyeon drinks his coffee; black, two sugars, no cream.

 

“Where’s Jongin?” The social worker asks.

 

“He’s playing in the TV room with Jinri,” Minseok informs him.

 

“He’s playing with Jinri?” He asks with a surprised look on his face.

 

Minseok frowns lightly. “Yes?”

 

“Ok, that’s good. That’s great, actually.” He takes out some folder from his bag and hands them to Minseok as the professor looks in uncertainty. “I need to ask you something.” Minseok nods. “How much do you know about Jongin’s case?”

 

Minseok thinks about it for a second before telling his friend all he knows. “He’s a mistreated boy and was living with…his parents? Bad people all in all. I saw some scars and old bruises on him and he’s been somewhat reticent to speak out or even ask questions. I’m guessing they were neglecting at best.”

 

“That’s right. You see, Jongin’s been in and out of foster care since he was born. His mother was a junkie and god knows who his father is,” Junmyeon informs him. “I met Jongin about a year ago after his mother took him from a foster home east of town. She used to leave him alone at night, while he slept and a neighbor called the police when he wouldn’t stop crying one night.”

 

“I see,” Minseok says. “Is that why he’s not very keen on closing his eyes?”

 

“Yeah, it is. He was left alone at night for months. He ended up in the hospital several times during that period, minor burns, bruises, cuts; it was during one of those hospital visits that I told her to get her act together or I would just take Jongin away.”

 

“She didn’t, did she?”

 

Junmyeon sighs sadly. “No. She kept leaving Jongin alone more and more and eventually got herself a boyfriend she made the little guy call dad. He was probably very aggressive but we don’t know for sure since Jongin doesn’t really talk about him or his mother.

 

“You and Luhan have bonded with him in such a short period of time, you even got him to sleep,” he smiles sadly. “But, he’s a troubled boy, Minseok. He needs more care and attention that a regular four year old. I understand if you guys aren’t ready to take him, I mean, after what happened to you I wouldn’t blame you.”

 

Minseok sighs as he processes all of the information. “He’s been hoarding food, Junmyeon. He freaks out when you surprise him and refuses to sleep in his bed alone. I know by now he’s not a regular boy, but I’m pretty sure he’s been happy here,” Minseok tells Junmyeon. He doesn’t feel like he’s unprepared and he doesn’t want to give Junmyeon the feeling Jongin doesn’t belong with them. He knows what a broken child needs. He hasn’t had the chance to prove he can help.

 

“I know you want to help, I remember what happened with your brother and how you weren’t even allowed to voice your thoughts. I know how that ended up.”

 

Minseok leans back on the sofa and takes a deep breath. “What happened to us before– I won’t… He loves chicken, did you know that? And chocolate milk, and hugs. He likes it when you read to him, or at least I think he does, it seemed to calm him this morning when the cat from across the street gave him a fright. He also really likes Luhan. He seems really bad with strangers but he wouldn’t let go of Luhan’s neck last night as we were watching a movie. I know he likes it when Jinri speaks to him even though he doesn’t say a word back and I know when he wants to ask something but gets too scared to do it. Usually a little pat in the back or a soft smile does the trick. It’s been less than a week, and I can’t see him leaving us, not now, not ever. He’s already a part of us.”

 

Junmyeon exhales loudly before grinning. “I knew you guys would be the right ones.”

 

Minseok laughs wholeheartedly before punching Junmyeon in the shoulder. “for a second there I thought–“

 

“Nonsense, man. I don’t just put kids where they don’t belong. I knew from that first meet that Jongin would be happy here.”

 

Minseok smiles sheepishly before hearing a burst of laughter from the TV room.

 

“I’ll leave before Jongin sees me and gets the wrong idea,” Junmyeon says with a smile on his face. “See you guys on Christmas eve?”

 

“You betcha.”

 

--

 

“Papa? Where are the lights for the tree?” Jinri asks as she rummages through the Christmas box.

 

“Inside the small red box at the bottom,” Luhan answers. The doctor hands Jongin some tree decorations while the boy lays them carefully on the carpet.

 

They are all in the living room after getting the Christmas tree into the house. Minseok watches from afar after getting some cups of cocoa with marshmallows and putting play on the Christmas music album on his iPod. 

 

Jongin catches his eye in that very moment and smiles one of his barely-there yet increasingly bright smiles. He goes back to receiving the decorations from Luhan in the same manner he was before.

 

“Who wants some cocoa?” He asks, finally moving into the room and handing everyone their mug.

 

“Eight mini marshmallows?” Jinri asks as she counts.

 

“Eight carefully counted marshmallows,” Minseok answers with a chuckle.

 

Jinri gives him her best grin as she draws from the warmth of the cup.

 

“Be careful, sweetheart, it’s hot,” Luhan reminds her as he blows on a spoonful and gives it to Jongin. “Is it good?”

 

Jongin nods shyly and Luhan hands him the half filled plastic cup Minseok made especially for him.

 

“Thank you,” Jongin says as he imitates Luhan and blows into the cup before taking a sip.

 

Luhan laughs and ruffles the boy’s hair.

 

Minseok then focuses on untangling the lights with the help of Jinri and placing them on the tree.

 

When they are all done, Luhan starts hanging the decorations on the branches with Jongin, lifting the boy when he doesn’t reach the higher ones. Jongin giggles quietly when Luhan lifts him too high or pretends to be dropping him.

 

Once the tree is finished, they all sit on the comfortable couch and look at their work. The big tree illuminates the living room with multicolored lights as the soft Christmas music plays in the background.

 

Jongin nestles into Minseok side while Jinri places her head on Luhan’s shoulders and smiles at the boy. “Do you like it, Jonginnie?” She asks.

 

Jongin nods sleepily before closing his eyes and sighing contentedly.

 

--

a/n: As always, comments are deeply appreciated :)