Chapter 2

When You're Near me

         With a huge smile on her face, Hye sun tugged her girlfriend by the hand as she pulled her into the smoky bar. "Hey!" The out-going thirty-three year old yelled across the room to a few of her friends from the book factory where she worked. "They're here already." She said over her shoulder to Yoo in na and Dara.

         "Great." Yoo in na mumbled and offered her friend a glum look when she saw the large crowd gathered at Hye sun's favorite circle booth. "Wasn't my idea." Dara shrugged.

As the trio made their way through the crowd of people, the owner, Jack Belle, gave a short wave to one of his favorite customers, Hyesun, before turning to his part time help. "Chaerin?"

          The part time bartender with long blonde hair placed the drink for a customer on the bar before turning to her 'adopted' uncle. "What's up?" Scratching his neatly trimmed week old beard, Jack studied the shelf behind the bar. He shifted a couple of bottles that were sitting directly under the huge mirror centered squarely behind the twenty-foot long bar. "I'm thinkin' we need a few more bottles of Maker's Mark. And don't worry about those cases of beer. I'll get 'em later." "I'm on my way." Chaerin wiped the bar down once more before tossing the bar towel on a shelf under the counter. Right before she slipped through the back door, her best friend called to her. "Yeah?" "Are you gonna work all night?" Bom leaned against the edge of the bar. "You gotta come celebrate with us." "Jack needed the help." Chaerin used that excuse as a way of avoiding Jessica's inevitable boisterous comments all night long. "Sure." Bom chanced a look back over at the table where her team was gathered. She smiled when she saw her boyfriend holding court among her teammates and nodded at him. "Ya know, I think he's gay at heart. He loves being one of the girls." "He's in the right place then." Chaerin winked. "Go on. I've gotta get something for your uncle, but I'll be over in a minute." "Uh huh. Don't be long. I told Seunghynwe can't stay too late. We still have one more day of work this week." Chaerin nodded. As Chaerin disappeared into the back room, Jack wrapped an arm around his favorite niece and hugged her. "You girls did good tonight. What's that, five wins in a row?"

The twenty-five year old blonde stop grinned, assuring her uncle. "Goin' to the play-offs again this year."

Jack kept a loose arm wrapped over her shoulder. "You know, I don't care about that just as long you girls are having fun." The owner of Belle's Bar had sponsored his niece's team for the last seven years, but had yet to win the championship of their division. He kissed his niece on the cheek. "Now go on back to your celebrating."

When Chaerin stepped back through the door with four bottles of whiskey, she overheard Bom ask her uncle. "Did you get that song I requested?"

"In the jukebox. Number 21." Jack squeezed his niece's shoulder then grabbed the bottles from Chaerin. "I've got that. You go on. Enjoy yourself for a bit."

"What song's that?" Chaerin asked.

************************


When Bom returned to her team's table, she realized Chaerin had not followed her and was once again working behind the bar. For a second she considered helping out behind the bar until Jessica decided to go on the prowl for her nightly ritual, leaving her and the rest of the team to celebrate in peace.

After several beers, Jessica had loosened up and was feeling rather frisky as she surveyed the small bar filled with numerous future conquests. When she noticed her old friend and co-worker sitting in a booth next to a pretty brunette, Jessica's eyes brightened. "Ah, new meat." She meandered over to the booth and propped her most lascivious smile on her face. "Hiya."

Hye sun jumped up and wrapped an arm around her friend. "Jessica. Come on. Sit down." The shorthaired factory worker scooted her girlfriend over, but Jessica decided to slide in on the other side of the booth after another co-worker had just vacated her place next to Dara.

Jessica nudged the massage therapist. "How ya doing, sweetie?" The tall woman placed an arm over the back of the booth, making Dara very uncomfortable. "You wanna drink?" 

"No, thank you." Dara scooted closer to Yoo in na, sitting next to her on her right.

Jessica didn't bother to wait for an answer as she twisted around and yelled across the room. "Jack, another beer over here. Matter of fact, bring a pitcher."

It wasn't the first time that night Dara wished she hadn't agreed to come to the bar. She was sorely in need of being saved at the moment. For some reason, she felt compelled to glance around the bar once as if searching for something familiar.

Jessica turned back to her friend. "We're celebrating our big win." Then she turned her glassy eyes at Dara and slurred. "I never strike out not even once and made a homerun and the winning play with..." The drunken first baseman burped, missing a few words before finishing her sentence with. "...myself." 

"All by yourself, huh?" Dara smiled sweetly as she delivered the cocky, not so subtle, question. 

Jessica was dumbstruck for a brief moment at Dara's retort. She was pulled out of her stupor when Jeanie from her teamed called for her. "Be back later, doll." The tall woman gave Hye sun a high five before leaving. 

Hye sun climbed out of the booth. "Be right back." The dark haired woman with very short wavy hair headed for the restroom. 

Yoo in na nudged her friend. "So?"

"So what?" Dara knew what was coming.

"Hye sun's friend, Jessica. She likes you." Her friend smiled for the first time since entering the bar.

Dara's brown eyes drifted toward the table where several softball players were celebrating. She studied the tall first baseman for a bit. Not only was she not Dara's type, Jessica's overpowering ego grated against her. But she could easily see why Yoo in na would be taken with her because her friend liked women that were more butch. Case in point, Hye sun. The major difference between Hye sun and Jessica was in their personalities. While both Jessica and Hye sun had outgoing personalities, Hye sun was not rude. She genuinely had a good sense of humor without any trace of vindictiveness in it unlike Jessica. "Nah, I'm not interested."

"The least you can do is give her a chance. I'm gonna get Hye sun to dance with me when she comes back." Yoo in na saw her girlfriend heading back to their booth. She quickly got up then leaned back down to Dara. "Go ask her to dance."

Hye sun wrapped her arm around her girlfriend's waist and headed out to the small dance floor near the jukebox.

Dara was happy for the reprieve, but soon found a pitcher full of beer being placed in front of her. When she glanced up, she saw warm, gray eyes looking at her. "Hidy."

Jack studied her for a moment before sliding down next to her in the booth. "A pitcher of beer for your thoughts."

"I'm not drinkin'." Dara held up her water. "Sober chauffeur."

"Haven't seen you here before so let me officially welcome you to Belle's." The broad grin on Jack's face invited the newcomer, but he sensed that the woman wasn't as comfortable as he wished all his customers to be. He knew that some of the regulars would get rowdy from time to time, but Jack could sense oncoming trouble before it happened and generally was able to avoid it before it got out of hand. 

"Oh, I was here about six months ago." Dara advised the owner as she steadily looked into his kind eyes. "Just don't go out much." She found Jack easy to talk with and started to relax. 

"Don't tell me you don't like my place." Jack winked at her.

"Nah, well..." Her eyes turned away from him. Dara didn't want to hurt his feelings, yet didn't want to lie either. 

"I am personally gonna make sure that changes tonight." Jack tapped the tabletop with the edge of his fist. "What do you want?" The owner held out his arms wide. "Anything in the bar. It's yours for the takin'."

His generous offer and kind words made Dara reconsider her initial evaluation of the bar. "Thank you, sir, but I'm fine... really." 

When one of the customers called for Jack to come and settle an argument, he placed a large hand over hers and said. " Nobody calls me 'sir' in here. You can call me Jack. And the offer's still open. If you see something you like, it's yours." He squeezed her hand. 

"Thank you, Jack. Bye." The genuine smile disappeared on Dara's face when she noticed Jessica walk up right after Jack left. She turned her head quickly to avoid eye contact with the tall woman. 

Jessica stood there for a long moment contemplating her recent discussion with Jeanie, the pitcher, on her team. Jessica had bragged to her teammate that she could bag the shy brunette before the night was over. The tall woman leaned down. "Aren't you just the sweetest little thing in the place."

Dara only took a moment before making direct eye contact with Jessica. "If you're lookin' for a 'thing', you've come to the wrong place." 

Gonna play hard to get, huh? Jessica sensed the challenge and figured she was up for it. "Come on, just one dance and I'll show you some moves you ain't never gonna forget." 

Dara just stared at the obnoxious woman.

Feeling uncomfortable under the hard look from the smaller woman, Jessica finally asked. "What?"

Without missing a beat, Dara said. "Oh, I forgot. Guess it wasn't that memorable."

"Huh?" Jessica scratched her head, feeling she had just been insulted. "You gonna dance with me or not?"

"Nope." 

Steamed, Jessica stood back up to her full height. "Your loss." The tall woman turned to leave.

"And you said you never strike out." 

Jessica heard Dara's cutting words, but continued to walk away, not wanting to admit that a woman had turned her down. She briskly walked past her teammate's table, even though Jeanie called her name. The tall woman headed to the bar and plopped down on the stool next to an older man well on his way to being drunk. When she saw Chaerin, she demanded a drink. "Give me a bottle."

Sensing that something was wrong, Chaerin wiped the bar in front of Jessica, offering her a beer instead of whiskey. "What's wrong?"

"." Jessica grabbed the mug and downed half of it. She looked back in the direction of the booth she had just left and saw the brunette sliding out of it and spat. "Tight ." 

Chaerin searched the area in which Jessica was looking and saw the back of a woman as she walked away. The blonde bartender smiled to herself. For once you're right, Jessica. She does have a nice backside.

Dara had decided to go outside and get some fresh air after her minor run in with the tall woman, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. "Hey. Where ya going?"

Recognizing her friend's voice, Dara turned around. "I sorda wanted..."

Fanning her face, Yoo in na was hot from the last two dances with her girlfriend. "I need a drink."

Dara saw that two of Hye sun's friends had joined her at their booth and they were enjoying the pitcher of beer that was now near empty. When she saw Jessica leave the bar, Dara offered. "I'll get it. Besides, I need another water. Be right back."

Yoo in na followed her friend as far as to their booth and then slid down next to her girlfriend. The black haired knew Hye sun was nowhere near ready to leave. 

Dara made her way through the crowd and finally secured a spot at the far end of the bar. Her brown eyes studied the group as she waited to be served.

 Chae had just poured two drafts and placed them on the bar top when Bom asked for some change from the cash register. "Thought you had to leave early?"

"We are. In a minute. I wanna play a couple more songs first." Bom took the change and headed for the jukebox. Having her favorite uncle own the bar had its advantages. 

Leaning her head around, but with her eyes still watching her friend leave,  asked the waiting customer. "What'll you have?" 

The strums of a guitar filled the air and a y husky, feminine voice gently accosted her ears, bringing a smile to Dara's face as she placed her order. "Bottle of water, please."

Chaerin's world stopped in that moment when she heard the cute soft voice mingle with the music playing in the background. Slowly, her eyes found their way to the origin of that mesmerizing voice. 
Dara turned and caught sight of the darkest eyes she had ever seen, capturing her in that moment where time stood still. A hitch in her breath jump-started the pounding of her heart and then she felt a full smile bloom on her face.

Chaerin's sparkling dark eyes penetrated the brown warmth of the pretty woman's eyes sitting across the bar. Without breaking the familiar connection, the part time bartender reached haphazardly for the requested order. Finally, she was able to reach the item and handed it to her customer.

When Dara reached up and took the bottle without breaking their eye contact, she felt a spark of electricity as her fingers lightly grazed Chaerin's hand. The words from the song penetrated Dara's clouded mind and she shyly said. "I've never heard that song before. It's beautiful. Who sings it?" 

Not wanting to break contact with the woman's hand, Chaerin still held onto to the bottle. Listening to the words from the song, they soaked into her consciousness and found a home. "When You're Near Me."

Dara's smile grew wider. "Funny name for a group."

Shaking her head, Chaerin grinned. "No. It's the name of the song. Jackie Bristow."

"Is that your name?" Dara teased the blonde. 

"I'm sorry. She's the singer." The blonde let go of the bottle and offered her hand. "Chaerin, Lee Chaerin."

Taking the hand offered, the brunette instantly felt the connection again. "Dara Park."

From across the room, Bom watched as her best friend held on to the bottle of water way too long and now it appeared Chaerin was refusing to let go of the woman's hand. "Hmm..... interesting." She immediately went to the jukebox, deposited the rest of her change and hit #21 several times. 

While still holding the bartender's hand that didn't feel awkward at all, Dara asked. "Is that a new song?"

Smiling, Chaerin nodded her head. "She's from Australia. My friend requested it." The blonde realized she wasn't making sense and tried to correct her meaning. "Not my friend." Chaerin glanced over toward Bom and smiled. 

Bom waved and made brief eye contact with the woman who was still holding her best friend's hand. 

Returning her eyes to Dara, Chaerin continued. "She's from here. My friend that is. I meant the singer was from Australia."

Shyly, Dara looked deeply into sincere dark eyes and smiled. "I know... what you meant. I like it."

A comfortable silence settled between them as the song concluded only to start up again. They both laughed in tandem when they heard the familiar song filling the room. 

***********************

For the next couple of hours, Dara remained rooted on the barstool sipping her water. For some reason, she was willing to wait patiently for her friends for when they were ready to leave. The inebriated man sitting next to her pushed a bowl of peanuts toward her. "Want some?"

Scrunching her eyebrows together, Dara declined the offer. 

He was about to insist when Jack cupped the man's elbow. "Come on, Yanggun. Cab's here." 

Dara was relieved when the owner escorted the man outside because several times his glassy eyes squinted at her as they traveled up and down her body. She noticed shortly after that happening once that Chaerin diverted his attention with another watered down drink and then made a short call on the bar's phone. When the part time bartender stopped back by, Dara said. "Thank you."

"For what?" Chaerin asked innocently.

Nodding at where the drunken older man used to be sitting, Dara grinned. "And I thought this was a gay bar."

"It is." Chaerin shifted her weight from one leg to the next and shrugged. "He stops in after getting thrown out of O'Brien's down the street. Doesn't care if it's a gay bar or not, as long as we serve him. But Jack always makes sure he gets home safely."

"I noticed you mixing his drinks." Dara didn't say anymore.

"Well... Jack lets him put it on a tab, but he never makes him pay." The owner had advised Chaerin long ago to taper the old man drinks and put it on the fictitious tab. 

When a customer called out to Chaerin for a special brand of beer, the bartender winked and said. "I'll be right back." 

Dara watched her new friend disappear into the back room. She stared at the door for a long moment and was only brought out of her musing when a hand touched her arm. 

"You okay?" Jack asked.

Suddenly back in the moment, Dara nodded. "I'm fine." For some reason, she couldn't keep the silly grin off her face and when Chaerin walked back out of the door carrying a case of beer, the smile grew wider.

"Hey, give me that." Jack rushed up and relieved Chaerin  of her load. "What'd I tell ya? I'd get it."

Stretching her back around in obvious pain, Chaerin shrugged. "Customer wanted some beer." The blonde reached around and rubbed the right side of her lower back. 

Jack twisted around and placed the case on the back of the bar then pointed at Chaerin. "You. Sit." He waited till his part time bartender agreed and pulled up a tall stool right across from Dara. "Now stay. I've got it." He noticed the smile on Dara's face brighten. "And you."

Dara's eyes widened.

"Make sure she doesn't move." Jack winked and picked up the case of beer then turned to his anxious customers. "I'm comin'. Hold your horses."

Dara gave a silent thank you to the man that had offered her anything she wanted in the bar that night. And quite unexpectedly, to the girl's surprise, she had gotten the very wish she didn't know she had longed for. 

Chaerin shrugged. "Guess we're stuck together."

Dara flashed her brown eyes and then blushed at her own comment. "And what a nice place to be stuck."

Chaerin's blonde head did a double take, wondering what the woman meant, but it was soon forgotten when their eyes met again. 

Bom was reluctant to interrupt the enchanted interlude, but did anyway. "Chaerin?" She snapped her fingers in front of her best friend. "Chaerin?"

"Huh?" Her black eyes were still locked on to brown as the song continued to play in the background. "I think the jukebox is stuck or something. It keeps playing that same song."

Dara leaned closer as she played with the label on her water bottle. "I know."

Bom looked back and forth between the two mesmerized women. She turned to Dara "Since my friend won't introduce us. I'm Bom." The red haired with a ponytail stuck out her hand and nodded toward Chaerin. "Her best friend, but you couldn't tell... not the way she's ignoring me."

Somewhere in the pleasant midst of the soft music and probing eyes of the bartender, Dara felt her attention was being beckoned. Seeing the outstretched hand in front of her broke their contact. "Oh, I'm sorry." The brunette cocked her head at the woman demanding her attention.

"Bom Park. Glad to meet cha. Like I said before when neither one of you were listening, I'm her best friend." She took Dara's hand. "And now I gotta say goodbye." 

"Bye." Chaerin hurried a short glance at her friend before returning her eyes to Dara. What is it about her? She seems familiar. 

A bit embarrassed for not noticing Bom earlier, Dara'sbrown eyes turned downward briefly as she in a calming breath then looked up bravely at Bom. "It's nice to meet you." 

Hye sun who was holding on to her girlfriend's hand as they approached the bar, interrupted them. "Chaerin? Heard you made the game winning play."

The second baseman shrugged off the compliment. 

"We need you on our soccer team as fast as they say you run." Hye sun nudged Dara. "Right?"

"Right." Dara easily agreed. Earlier, the brunette had inspected the blonde's y legs quite thoroughly. 

Tired of being ignored, Bom pretended to be annoyed. "I'm outta here. I can get this kind of attention from my boyfriend." She turned to Chaerin. "See you at work in the morning."

Chaerin nodded. When Hye sun ordered a bottle of water for her girlfriend, Chaerin jumped up and pulled a muscle in her back again, grabbing it. She hurriedly retrieved the bottle and gave it to Hye sun. "Here you go."

"Thanks." Handing Chaerin a couple of bills, Hye sun then looked at Dara. "You ready?"

"Uh huh." Seeing Chaerin still rubbing her back, she felt bad because she had seen her doing it earlier and got lost in the song and those black eyes. "I'll be right there." Dara said to her friend then waited for Hye sun and Yoo in na to leave. When she was alone with Chaerin, the massage therapist pulled out a card and handed it to the hurting woman. "Here."

Chaerin took the card and perused it. "You?"

Smiling, Dara nodded. "Call me." She stood up and was about to leave when she hesitated and caught those black eyes again and promised. "You won't regret it."

With that, the brunette walked away, leaving Chaerin to ponder the meaning of the beautiful woman's words.