Chapter 1

When You're Near me


Dara Park worked her magical fingers over the tension filled muscles of her friend. "Relax, will ya?" 

The longhaired black fidgeted under Dara's expert hands. "I can't help it. I don't know why she doesn't like me." Yoo in na squinted one eye at the object of her distraction.

Dara looked into the bright innocent eyes of her dog. "Sky, go on now. Go." The massage therapist ordered her Black Labrador Retriever. She returned her attention to Yoo in na. "She knows you're afraid of her. That's the trouble." 

After Sky jumped up and left, her friend sighed deeply. "That reminds me. Hye Sun wants to go to Belle's tonight. She's meeting some friends from work. Why don't you come along?"

Dara's hands moved over her friend's shoulders as she continued the massage. "How is it that you being afraid of my dog reminds you of asking me to go to that rinky dink bar again? You know it's not my favorite place." Dara had only been there once before about six months ago after going to a comedy club with her friends.

The thirty-two year old Yoo in na twisted around. "You never wanna go out. And when I do get you a date, you don't even get her number."
Dara gently pushed her friend back down on the table. "We didn't connect. What's the point?"

"The point is you're afraid." Her friend mumbled.

The massage therapist glided her hands up the full length of her friend's back causing a satisfied groan. Dara didn't want to get into another conversation with her friend about the blind dates Yoo in na would set her up on. Her friend would just push harder and she didn't want to argue with her at the moment. 

Under the gentle soothing of the massage therapist's hands, Yoo in na was lost temporarily in the moment, her whole body was feeling very relaxed. "God, you're good."

"So I've been told." Dara teased as she reached for the oil again. After applying some to her hands, the massage therapist started to work on her friend's tight lower back. "Business is picking up. I'm getting more and more clients that I might hafta think about getting an office instead of working outta my place."

"I still get 'em for free, right?"

"Yep. If you get your boss to give me free dental care." Dara friend.

"Don't remind me. I've gotta go back this afternoon." Yoo in na grunted. "Then run back home before I go over to Hye sun's. I'm so tired of having two places. Running back and forth. It would be so much easier..." The black haired let that old argument between her and her girlfriend evaporate in mid-air. 

Dara considered herself a good friend, but was happy not to traverse that conversation minefield again with Yoo in na. After a few more deep massages across her friend's back, Dara slapped her hands together. "Okay, that's it. You're all done."

The black haired girl brought the towel up around her to cover her front. "Think about it. Okay?" She headed to the small changing room.

"I'm gonna check on Sky. Come on in to the kitchen when you're finished." Dara gathered a few items and put them away neatly before she washed her hands. She could hear her dog whimpering outside, which meant Sky wanted some attention. 

Dara walked down the long hallway of her two-bedroom apartment with Sky wagging her tail behind. The Black Lab was a smart dog and knew she would be fed soon. When they entered the kitchen, Dara dropped down next to her dog. "You're a good girl, aren't cha? You should be nicer to my friend though."

Sky cocked her head to the side in a questioning challenge. 

"Don't look at me like that." Dara pet her seven-year-old dog that she got for graduation. "She means well."

Sky barked but Dara knew her dog didn't exactly agree with her. 

Shaking her head, Dara smiled. "Alrighty. I'll get you something to eat now." After filling Sky's food and water bowl, the beautiful woman with long chestnut hair started to fix something to drink for her friend.

"Not for me." Yoo in na saw the two glasses Dara had on the counter. "I've gotta get back."

It was the forlorn look on her friend's face that Dara easily recognized from their many talks and she knew exactly what Yoo in na wanted. "Siddown. I know ya wanna talk about it. My next appointment's not for another hour."

The invitation was welcome and Yoo in na figured she would tell her boss she got caught in traffic. "It's the same old thing really." Yoo in na glanced at the empty glass on the counter.

Seeing where Yoo in na was looking, Dara retrieved the pitcher from the refrigerator and poured her friend some lemonade. She slipped it in front of her friend before she sat down and waited. It didn't take long.

The black haired ignored the drink. "I've done everything to get her to commit but she still refuses. It's been nearly five years now. She's just so... I don't know what she wants anymore."

"Have you talked to her?"

"What good does it do?" Her friends stared at the glass she had her hands wrapped around. "She says she's not ready."

"You two love each other. At least you've found love." Dara's own thoughts turned to her life and the few romantic interests that graced her years of living. "I've never been in love."

"She doesn't even say she loves me anymore." Yoo in na wiped a tear away. "I tell her I love her all the time. It's like we're an old married couple but we're not married." Her friend rolled her eyes. "We're not even living together."

"She never says she loves you?" 

Yoo in na shrugged. "Some times after I say it first."

Dara could easily see the tension building in her friend and figured she may have to give her another massage if she didn't do something to divert the direction of their conversation. "Maybe you two need to get away."

Yoo in na placed her hand on Dara's forearm. "That's why you have to come tonight. To talk to me. You know Hye sun. She's so outgoing. Talking to everyone and her friends will be there and I'll be by myself if you don't come. Please."

It was the last thing Dara had on her mind. Going out on a Thursday night was not on her agenda. She was a homebody by nature and enjoyed curling up on the sofa with Sky, and watching her favorite baseball team. However, she relented after seeing the imploring look from her friend's sad eyes. "Okay, yeah."

That answer cheered Her friend up immediately. "We'll pick you up around 7:30."

Dara would have preferred to drive alone but knew she would become the unofficial sober chauffeur for her friends like always. "Nah, I'll stop by Hye sun's place and we can leave from there." 

Yoo in na got up after looking at her watch. "I should get going." When she saw Dara stretch her neck and rub the right side, the Yoo in na said. "Too bad you can't give yourself a massage. It does wonders."

"I wish I could." Dara agreed.

"Oh, by the way, you comin' Monday night?" Yoo in na turned before Dara had a chance to answer. "Your brother usually practices on Mondays, doesn't he?"

Dara followed her friend down the hall to the front door. In her natural way, Dara opened the door for her friend. "Uh huh."

"Hye sun's got a game at six." Yoo in na turned to her friend. "They want you back on the team, you know."

Unconsciously, Dara rubbed her neck again. "I'd like to but I dunno... with my neck." It was last January at the main four way stop in town when Dara's white range rover was hit in the driver's door, spinning her car around a 180 degrees. She walked away from the accident with several big bruises and whiplash. And ever since then, she'd had to curtail her usual activities including playing soccer for the team she had played with for the last few years. "But I'll probably stop by Monday. I was gonna go to Sanghyun's practice game anyway." 

"Good. See you tonight." The black haired bounced down the two steps and got into her car, but not before blowing a kiss. "See ya."

"Bye. Be careful." Dara called out. She watched her friend drive down the road as she leaned up against the porch pole. When she felt a few raindrops fall on her face, Dara looked to the sky. The fast moving dark clouds threatened a downpour, but Dara just smiled. She loved storms and she knew this one would just blow over, leaving behind only a light shower.

When Sky barked several times, Dara turned and opened the screen door. "Come on, girl. Go get a quick run." 

The black Lab stormed past her. But when Sky didn't see her owner's friend, she just as quickly rushed back to the porch and practically jumped on top of Dara who had sat down on the top step. Knocking Dara back, the brunette scolded her dog. "Dad gum it, Sky." Dara adjusted her wire-rimmed glasses. If Dara was upset by her dog's behaviors, it dissolved quickly as the Lab her face several times. Dara struggled to get up. "Come on."

They walked back inside the apartment and Sky followed Dara to her small office. Through the window, she saw the rain begin to lightly shower down. A sullen Dara turned toward her desk where her computer was located. She plopped down in her swivel chair, then her almond eyes came to rest on a scroll-framed essay she had written. Dara reached for it and stared at it for a long time. 

She thought about her friends, Yoo in na and Hye sun's relationship and how it had changed over the last five years. What was once a hot and heavy romance now seemed to be taken for granted. Dara chanced a quick look out the window again and saw that the rain had stopped. "Told ya so." She smiled at her dog that was contently lying on the floor next to her feet.

Then she paused a moment to reflect on her own romances. The handsome older guy in high school that she fell for so easily. That's where I learned to kiss so well. Of course, I haven't been able to showcase my skills in quite a while. There were a few others along the way, but the one that changed her life forever brought a smile to her face. Those were some of the hottest nights of my life and I ain't talkin' about the weather. She grinned at that thought.

Dara looked once again at the framed essay. A deep and longing sigh escaped before she read the first paragraph silently. 

My whole life, I've dreamed of a great love. Of a love that will somehow complete me. Of a love that will reunite me with the other half of my soul. Of a love that will consume me until I'm helpless to do anything but give myself to it. I have yet to find such a love, or have it find me. At times, I wonder if that kind of love truly exists. If it's not some fairy tale that we're told as young children to make us think the world is a wonderful place that's full of love and hope and fulfilled dreams. Yes, I have loved. But I have never been in love. I've never known anyone that made my heart skip a beat each time they uttered my name. Or cause me to lose my breath just by the sight of them walking into a room. Or make my knees grow weak by just one touch, whether it's a sensual one or not. Or cause the world to disappear when our eyes meet across a crowded room. Or be able to communicate with just a glance or a touch. Or felt that the safest place on Earth was in the arms of the one I love. Does that kind of love really exist? 

That pondering question hung precariously in the air.

************************

Lee Chaerin leaned down and fisted her glove once. Her sharp dark eyes intent on the batter. The brief shower of rain dampened the ball field, but her team played through it. It was the bottom of the last inning and the other team had a man on third. The score was three to one in favor of her team, Belle's cougars, with two outs.

"Pitch it in there, Jeanie." Bom Park, the tall red haired stop yelled at their pitcher and glanced at her best friend, giving Chaerin a quick wink.

Both women knew the batter favored the right side of the field and over sixty percent of the time grounded out. Chaerin moved into position. 

The dark haired pitcher wound up and shot the ball low, right down the alley. The ball was struck sharply, heading directly between first and second. Chaerin bolted from her position toward the fast moving ball. She dove for the ball and it was within inches of her glove when jessica, their first baseman, smacked into Chaerin. The ball skirted loose allowing the runner on third to score and the batter a safe position at first. 
Jeanie, who had covered first, was pissed. "Jessica! What are ya doin'?" Her arm was getting sore and she needed some ice on it. The last thing she wanted to do was pitch another inning. 

Jessica jumped up from the collision and growled at Chaerin who had scrambled for the loose ball. "! You saw I had it. What the hell, Chaerin?" 

Chaerin stood her ground, facing the irate first baseman. "Just back off, Jess. Come on. We've got a game to finish."

"The I will." Jessica stepped closer. "It was in my territory."

Bom jumped in between her best friend and the irascible, but talented ball player. "Jessica, it's over. Come on. Let's get this out and call it a day." She quickly searched the bench looking for their coach who was also her boyfriend. 

Choi Seunghyun , the Cougar's coach, yelled from the dugout. "Jessica! Get back on first. Jeanie?" He nodded to the pitcher then pointed to the mound.

Bom took the ball from Chae's glove and threw it to Jeanie who was now in a few deep breaths before she had to pitch again. Bom pulled Chaerin around and spoke softly. "She's an . Just let it go."

Back at first, Jessica shot a dangerous glare at the runner before growling back over her shoulder to her teammate. "Wear a ball cap so the in' ball don't get past ya next time."

When Chaerin heard that last statement, she turned around slowly. She took one step, but was stopped short. Bom had grabbed the top of her shorts. Pulling Chaerin back, the tall with red straight hair, pulled back in a ponytail, whispered. "Show her up. That will get to her more than punching her."

Chaerin nodded and motioned for her friend to get back in position. After a few more moments, the team was ready to play and once again Chaerin crouched down into position. 

The first pitch was out of Jeanie's hand, heading for home and was cleanly struck on the ground driving fast yet slightly right of second base. It was too fast for Jeanie to react and it was left to Chaerin to haul it in. Like a gazelle, the second baseman bolted for the ball. She dove and stretched out as far as her five foot six frame would allow and came up with the ball. 

The runner on first had a big head start off and was eating up ground between first and second. Bom scrambled to cover second base. She saw Chaerin twist on the hard landing and heard a thump. The longhaired blonde second baseman rolled once but came up quickly, hurling the ball to second. It was a close call, but the ball landed in Bom's outstretched glove before the runner's foot hit the base. 

Three outs and the game was over. The score was three to two. It was time to celebrate. The victorious Cougars headed for the dugout. Their coach, Seunghyum, gave each one a high five. He was extremely proud of his team and if they continued to play the way they were, they would be a shoe-in for the play-offs. "Girls, it's on me. Drinks at Belle's. Everybody comin'?"

"Count me in." Jeanie yelled as she wrapped a cold rag around her arm and then slipped on a nylon jacket. 

Several other players confirmed their participation in the upcoming celebration before Jessica made her challenging announcement with a wicked chuckle. "First one to get drunk gets laid."

The majority of the players rolled their eyes and quietly snickered at Jessica's boast, but few were brave enough to challenge her usual crass and rude comments. The first baseman was tall and strong with a sturdy build. She didn't take any gruff, but served up plenty and often. However, the members of the team put up with it because Jessica was the best first baseman in Denton, Texas and the surrounding area. 

Dusting off her jersey, Chaerin ignored the first baseman. She surveyed her uniform before turning to Bom. "I gotta run home first and change."

Immediately, Bom made a couple of quick swipes at the dirty backside of Chaerin's uniform shirt. "That's most of it. You don't have to change. Besides, it'll take too long."

Chaerin shook her head. Since playing for the Cougars,Chaerin had saved each and every one of her jerseys, all displaying the number twenty-one. They were part of her prized collection and she only wore the older ones on special occasions. "No, I need to wash my uniform first. I won't be long though. I promised your uncle I'd help tonight at the bar."

"Okay." Bom finally agreed. "See you later then. Not too long."

"Right there and back." Chaerin smiled. She lived ten miles out of town and sometimes it was a pain to run back to the house before returning to town, but she wouldn't trade the serene tranquility for anything. Chaerin packed up her belongings and made her way to her dark metallic gray sporty BMW.