Chapter 8

When You're Near me

After a light dinner, they watched one of the movies they had rented. Chaerin noticed that Dara was intently focused on the movie and wondered if the brunette was enjoying it. When she asked her, the brunette barely tore her eyes off the screen to answer. That concerned the blonde for a moment, but Chaerin decided to remain silent for the rest of the movie. 

When the film was finished, Dara adjusted her wire-rimmed glasses and sighed. Sky jumped up from the floor and rested her chin on the brunette's leg. Dara pet her dog and offered Sky a small smile. 

"You okay?" Chaerin hesitantly asked her guest. 

Dara nodded. "Thinking about the movie."

The blonde scooted closer on the couch. "And?"

The brunette stared at the now black screen on the television. "It was a love story and I do love them, but..." She let out a deep sigh. "I sometimes wonder if that kind of love truly exists. Like the fairy tales we've been told when we were little to make us think that the world is a wonderful place and everyone lives happily ever after."

Chaerin jacked her leg up on the couch as she moved even closer to the brunette. The blonde touched Dara's arm and lightly let her fingers glide over the brunette's skin. "I think..." Chaerin dug deep past her own heartache to a time when she held such strong faith about one day being with the woman of her dreams. "...if you truly believe it, your dream will come true." 

Very much aware of Chaerin's touch on her arm, a reflective Dara turned to look directly into the blonde's black eyes. "Has yours?"

For one instant, Chaerin started to fall into a deep, dark recess of a love gone wrong and the horrible heartache that chained her heart, but she saw the probing, almost pleading question in Dara's eyes and summoned the absolute faith that lay dormant inside her. "I believe it will... one day."

Outside the thunder clapped and a flash of lightning lit the room. Sky immediately ran to the window and started to bark. 

Not feeling like she would be much company, Dara reluctantly suggested. "I guess we should get going."

That startled Chaerin from her musings. "Why?" 

"Storm's coming in."

When Chaerin heard the torrent rain pound down outside, she suggested. "At least wait till it lets up." She noticed Dara take off her glasses, placed them on the small table next to the couch and rubbed her temples. 

"Do you happen to have some Tylenol?" The brunette wanted to keep the impeding headache at a bay.

Chaerin jumped off the couch. "Sure do. Be right back." She walked a few feet and then turned. "How bout I light a fire? It's getting cooler with the weather and maybe put on some music."

"That sounds nice. Thank you."

Seeing the  woman in pain tore at Chaerin's heart. "If you feel up to it..." She nodded at the stereo in the living room cabinet. "... why don't you pick something out?"

Dara smiled at the blonde and nodded.

While Chaerin was in the kitchen getting the Tylenol and a glass of water for her friend, she heard a very anxious Sky barking loudly. With the medicine and glass in hand, Chaerin walked back into the living room. "Here." She handed the items to Dara. "What's wrong with her?"

"Whenever there's a storm, she wants everyone in the house all together." Dara swallowed the pills and took a sip of the water. "Thank you."

Chaerin took the glass and placed it on the table. She noted the music that Dara had selected. "Good choice. Now let me get that fire going." As the blonde moved a couple of logs in the fireplace to get better access she said. "You want a quilt or something? There's one on the window seat."

Even as it was a bit chilly, Dara didn't want to move from her spot on the couch. "No. Maybe later." Sky was at her feet and she was petting her dog. "It's okay. We're all here together." That seemed to calm the Lab.

"Any better?" Chaerin pointed to her own head, indicating the brunette's headache pain.

"Some." Dara pinched her nose and closed her eyes. She focused on evening her breath and relaxing her shoulder and neck muscles. 

The blonde pursed her lips together in thoughtful repose. When an idea occurred to her, the blonde decided to take a chance. Chaerin sat on the opposite side of the couch then placed her right leg on the couch, extending it toward Dara. "Come here."

Not sure what the blonde was requesting, Dara asked. "What?"

"Come here. I'll show you." Chaerin beckoned the brunette who slowly negotiated her way across the length of the couch, closer to the blonde. "Right here." Chaerin patted her left thigh. "Lay your head here." As Dara lay back on the blonde's thigh, Chaerin adjusted her position to accommodate the brunette. 

Dara was lying flat on her back with her head propped on the blonde's left thigh. The rest of Dara's body was tucked up against Chaerin's right leg, stretched out on the couch. "Okay. Now what?"

A gentle touch of Chaerin's hands started to massage the brunette's head. "When I was little, mom used to do this for me. I found it relaxes me, especially when someone else is doing it."

Dara sighed as soothing fingers chased the impending headache away. After having a more than usual restless night of sleep and long day, Dara dropped her eyes closed as she drifted off easily. She was still on the edge of consciousness, hearing the soft music play in the background and the gentle, steady rain outside. 

Seeing that the brunette was being lovingly taken care of, Sky jumped up on the other end of the couch. She would wait out the storm and protect the ones she loved. 

Chaerin gazed at the brunette's soft features and smiled. A lone finger traced the brunette's right ear, then gently edged down and over the delectable, soft skin on the kissable neck of the brunette. 

When Chaerin's finger whispered across her neck, Dara moaned and turned toward the blonde. She adjusted herself up against Chaerin, allowing her face to lie on the blonde's stomach. Dara then wrapped her arms around the blonde's right leg as if she was clinging to an anchor. She was slightly aware of the tantalizing effect Chaerin's touch was doing to her as she fell deeper into slumber. 

Dara tucked both her legs up which caused Sky to raise up slightly in order to make sure the brunette was still okay. Satisfied, Sky dropped her head back down and closed her drowsy eyes. 

The soft music and gentle rain falling was having the same affect on the blonde. She pulled her sleepy eyes open, not wanting to miss a moment of watching her sleeping friend. Chaerin ran her finger up the left side of Dara's neck and let it glide up along the brunette's jaw line, coming to rest near the edge of her left ear. The blonde smiled before lightly flipping Dara's ear . She almost let out a laugh when Dara reached up and brushed at the playful finger. Chaerin took Dara's hand and replaced it over her own right leg.

Dara immediately reclaimed her prized and comforting possession, stretching slightly before she settled again. 

Chaerin figured she better leave the ear alone before the brunette swatted her hand again. She was tempted and nearly did touch Dara's lips with her finger. Chaerin studied the perfectly formed lips and wondered if the brunette was wearing lipstick. She realized they had a natural rosy tint that beckoned to her. When Chaerin caught herself fixated on the delicious lips of her friend, the blonde shook her head in an attempt to pull herself out of her hypnotic state. Okay, Chaerin. That's enough. 

For the next twenty minutes, Chaerin tried to keep her eyes open. Her left hand now rested up against the brunette's head while her right hand lay gently over Dara's left shoulder. She had only intended to ease the headache her friend was having, but instead the brunette fell asleep on her and Chaerin was hard pressed in waking up the beautiful sleeping woman. The blonde contemplated her next move. While she didn't really want to lose the soothing comfort of being next to Dara, Chaerin also didn't want to fall asleep sitting up on the couch. 

It was Dara that solved the blonde's problem. While still sleeping, the brunette started to turn onto her stomach.

Chaerin took advantage of the move and slipped her right leg under the brunette as Dara turned toward the back of the couch. The blonde then stretched out down next to the brunette. She spooned up against Dara's back, dropping a long leg over the thigh of the brunette. The blonde laid her head up against the soft short hair of the brunette and inhaled deeply. The sweet scent and nearness of Dara next to her easily lulled the blonde into a deep and restful sleep. 

They stayed that way, spooned up against each other for half the night until a thunderous clap vibrated through the air. Both Chaerin and Dara drowsed awake briefly, before falling back to sleep. It was Sky that was roused out of her deep slumber and realized she was in need of some attention.

Sky slipped off the couch, looked around, then stepped up behind the blonde and whimpered. 

When Dara heard her dog, she turned around. Now facing Chaerin and still quite sleepy, Dara let her right arm fall over the blonde's left side at the waist. She snuggled up against the warm body of the blonde and smiled. Dara was content to stay that way the rest of the night, except for the wet tongue her fingers. A sleepy brown eye popped open and she stretched her head up and over her sleeping partner to see Sky demanding her attention. Not really wanting to move, Dara reluctantly lifted herself up with her left arm. "You wanna go out, don't you?"

The eager dog barked once. 

"Uh huh." Dara glanced down at the sleeping woman next to her and grinned. "I can't believe I fell asleep so easily." When Sky nudged her right hand, the brunette shifted up even higher. "Okay, I'm coming."

Sky wagged a happy tail. 

Dara was careful not to wake Chaerin as she slipped over the sleeping blonde, then whispered. "I get my place back." When Dara stood, she saw Chaerin reach out, searching for something. The brunette gently rubbed Chaerin's arm then placed a soft touch on the blonde's head. That seemed to ease the sleeping woman considerably. The brunette turned to her dog. "Come on, and let's be quick about it."

After Sky did her business, she jumped back on the end of the couch and took up her position again. 

With a soft smile on her face, Dara watched Chaerin sleep. Chaerin had turned around and now had her back up against the back of the couch. The fire had died down so Dara retrieved the quilt on the window seat and placed it over the blonde. 

As Dara tried to tuck the cover around the blonde, Chaerin reached out and took possession of the brunette's left hand. "Dara?"

Dara used her other hand to run a soothing hand over Chaerin's head. "What, Baby?"

Chaerin lifted the quilt and with black eyes barely open, asked the unspoken question. Not being able to resist the invitation, Dara laid back down on the couch next to Chaerin. The blonde leaned back only slightly as Dara rested her head on Chaerin's shoulder. The blonde wrapped an arm around the brunette, so Dara draped her arm over Chaerin's side. 

Dara tucked her left leg up against Chaerin who instinctively opened her legs, allowing their legs to intertwine. They stayed that way the rest of the night and it was the best sleep either woman had in their life up to that point. 

************************

Chaerin popped open her eyes first the next morning and they were flooded immediately with the beautiful sight before her. The brunette was sleeping in her arms and snuggled up close, half on the blonde. Chaerin ducked her head down and around to get a better view of Dara's face. 

The brunette shifted before she glanced up shyly at Chaerin's caring black eyes watching her. "Hi." Dara noticed that Chaerin didn't make a move to let go of her.

"Hi, yourself." Chaerin's hand found the convenient opening between the brunette's shorts and t-shirt and without thinking, gently rubbed the brunette's back with a lazing finger. 

Feeling the soothing ministrations of the blonde's hand, Dara rested her head back on the blonde's shoulder. "Were you able to sleep okay?"

Chaerin brushed her cheek against the top of Dara's head. "Mmmm.. yeah. You?"

Dara in a deep breath and sighed. "Perfectly."

Both women were very resistant to move and break the familiar connection lying close to each other brought them. But the barking Sky announced that it was time to get fed.

"Demanding thing, ain't she?" Chaerin grinned.

Dara popped her head up. "Hey!"

"Does she get that from you?" Chaerin teased then preceded to tickle her sleeping partner. The blonde quickly shifted on top of the brunette, teasing her mercilessly.

"Stop that." Dara mockingly protested as her own hands and fingers found every available bare skin that blonde had to offer. 

They played easily with each other, laughing and smiling, all the while tickling each other until Chaerin felt herself leaning over the edge of the couch. "Uh oh."

Dara felt the blonde slipping over the side, shook her head and grinned. "Serves you right."

"Oh, no. You're coming with me." Chaerin reached around the brunette and held on for dear life as they both dropped over the precipice and hit the thick cushioned carpet with a soft thump. 

Black eyes searched brown to ensure Dara was okay. The brunette did the same to Chaerin. When both women were satisfied that had landed safely without any injuries, they both let out a full belly laugh. 

However, Sky wasn't too pleased with their antics. She quickly assessed their well being, both women's faces. 

With the brunette lying on top of her and Sky her face, Chaerin surrendered. "Okay, okay. I give. I'll get you both fed."

"I knew you couldn't resist." Dara's brown eyes flared at the woman she was lying on top of. "So what you gonna fix me to eat?"

"Pancakes?" Both of Chaerin's eyebrows shot up in hopes of the brunette agreeing to her choice.

Dara's brown eyes widened. "With peanut butter?"

Chaerin's faced contorted upon hearing that question from the brunette. "Peanut butter? Are you crazy?"

Dara readied her hands and threatened the blonde. "You want me to tickle you again?"

Chaerin raised her hands up in defeat. "No, no. Pancakes with peanut butter it is. Just as long as I don't have to eat it."

Dara cocked a perfectly sculptured eyebrow. "You could at least try it." The brunette put on her best convincing face. "Pretty please."

"Why do I always feel like you're setting me up for something?" The suspicious Chaerin asked. 

"I'm not setting you up. I'm laying on top of you." Dara waggled her eyebrows and looked down the length of their bodies lying on the floor.

"Yes you are." Even though she longed to just laze there with Dara all day long, the blonde finally said. "And if you want some breakfast... with peanut butter, then you're going to have to let me up."

"Mmmm......" Dara considered satisfying her stomach hunger pains or lazing there with the blonde for the rest of the morning. But it was Sky that made the final decision for both women. Several loud and demanding barks from the dog convinced Chaerin and Dara to get up. 

Dara picked up the quilt and began to fold it as Chaerin walked toward the kitchen. The nearness they had felt while lying close to each other all night grew into an unsettling distance. When Chaerin suddenly turned around and gazed at Dara, the brunette caught those black eyes penetrating her very soul and she dropped the quilt.

Chaerin smiled and made her way slowly toward the brunette. She reached down and picked up the quilt, handing one end to Dara. "Here. Help me." They folded the quilt then Dara placed it on the couch. 

A long moment passed with both women staring into each other's eyes, basking in the nearness. Finally, Dara's eyes dropped then looked up shyly at the blonde. "What?"

"I guess you don't know about the morning tradition that I give every guest that stays the night." The grin on the blonde's face forecast a mysterious surprise.

The brunette raised her head and cocked a suspicious eyebrow at the blonde. "And that is?"

Chaerin grinned, opened her arms and hugged the brunette.

Their nearness compelled them to fall easily into a comfortable, familiar and safe harbor where time stood still and only the two of them existed. In tandem, their arms dropped easily to each other's hips.

Backing up slightly, Dara asked. "A tradition, huh?" 

"Yep." Chaerin tugged at the loop on Dara's shorts. 

"And you always do that for all your guests?" The brunette wasn't so sure she liked this tradition when it came to other houseguests. 

Chaerin shrugged. "Well, every since I started it, yes."

"And just when did this tradition start?" Holding the blonde's hand, Dara followed Chaerin's lead as the blonde turned and walked toward the kitchen.

"This morning." Chaerin had a huge grin on her face, but refused to turn and look at the brunette.

"Oh, you." Dara swatted the blonde's backside.

"Hey!" Chaerin skipped a step. "Do you always have to be so physical?"

An impish and gleeful gleam propped on the brunette's face. "You don't know the half of it." But you will... one day if I have my way.

Uh oh!
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

here is my "deal" unnie XD