Chapter 11

When You're Near me

guys I'm very sorry if it took me so long to UD this fanfic (I'll write another one *wink*)and also sorry for the long UD...... i...really am sorry guys...

-kris

 

 

 

 

Chaerin would have liked to pick up Dara and take her to the soccer game, but as it was, the brunette was set to take her brother. So, instead of her desired date, she ended up asking Bom to tag along since her best friend begged her after Seunghyun said he had to work late.

Bom began to explain all the benefits of going to the soccer game with her. "See, with me, you get to play the field. I won't be after your girls..." Bom chanced a glance at Chaerin as she drove down the street. "..or in this case, girl."

Without taking her eyes off the road,  asserted. "It's not like that."

"Whatever. Either way, I'm a safe date." Bom crossed her arms. "By the way, when you gonna let me drive this baby."

"After it's broke in." 

"You said that with your last car. Had it five years and I never got to drive it." The red hair jabbed Chaerin's side.

"Will you not do that?" Chaerin glared at her friend. "Isn't it enough that I have to baby-sit you tonight?"

Bom dramatically crossed her arms again. "Well, I should be insulted."

"But you won't be." The blonde was used to her friend's mini-mock temper tantrums.

"And that's.... " Bom held up one solitaire finger. "... because I know exactly what you're going through." When Chaerin refused to take the bait, Bom continued. "Okay, I get it. But one day, you'll come to me for advice like always..."Chaerin shot her friend a disbelieving look. "...and I'll have to straighten everything out for you, as usual." When the blonde started to open in protest, Bom added. "You don't have to thank me."

Chaerin pulled her sports car into the parking area near one of the soccer fields. She was lucky to find a space right next to Dara's Range rover. The blonde turned in her seat after shutting the car off. "Now be nice."

Bom threw her hand up against her chest. "Moi?"

The blonde only shook her head before getting out the car. Bom followed her friend as they searched for Dara. 

Dara waved to Chaerin when she saw them approach. The brunette watched the blonde negotiate through the crowd on her assent to where she and Yoo In Na were sitting. "Hi." 

"Hi, Dara." When Dara stood up, Chaerin gave her a quick hug. Then they both sat down next to each other on the bleachers. 

But Bom moved in front of Dara, motioning for the brunette to give her a hug, too. Although a little uncomfortable with the invitation, Dara did.

Chaerin yanked her friend's pants loop, pulling the Bom away from Dara.

"Hey, she gave you a hug." Bom protested, but seeing the glare from her friend's eyes, she obediently sat down on the bleachers. 

The blonde was still staring at Bom when she felt a hand on her thigh and a soft voice whisper in her ear. "It's okay."

Dara's touch immediately brought a smile to Chaerin's face as she turned around and looked at the brunette. Yanking a thumb over her shoulder, the blonde joked. "Can't take her anywhere."

The brunette's hand never left Chaerin's leg as she made the introduction. "Chae, Bom, this is my friend, Yoo In Na."

"Hi." Chaerin nodded.

Bom gave a short wave. "I'd give ya a hug but the PDA police is here." She pointed to her blonde friend.

"Hello." Yoo In Na smiled sweetly at Dara's friends, before her attention was drawn to the play on the field. 

Bom's dark eyes glanced down at the hand on her friend's thigh and jabbed Chaerin in the side. When the blonde looked at intruding friend, Bom leaned in to whisper. "I can't hug her, but she can put her hand on your thigh, huh?"

Dara noticed something was going on between Chaerin and her friend, but wasn't sure what it was until she caught Bom peeking down at her friend's thigh where her hand was still resting. The brunette immediately jerked it away. And when that happened, Chaerin could've strangled her friend. 

"Remind me never to bring you along again." Chaerin told Bom with a tight grin.

For most of the next thirty minutes or so, no one commented much except about what was happening on the field. Hyesun's team was behind one to nothing and time was running out. This year, compared to last year, they had only won half of their games. 

Yoo In Na really wasn't into the game and didn't care if they won or lost, only that when they lost a game, sometimes the team didn't celebrate as much. That meant she would have more time with Hyesun alone. 

Every time the foursome stood to cheer a good play or protest a call, Chaerin and Dara rose and sat back down in tandem. They always ended up with their legs touching and constantly nudged each other at something they would see on the field, as if sharing a secret between the two. 

It was Bom that decided to throw a little kindling on the fire she saw building between Chaerin and Dara. "Hey, you guys, want me to scoot over? I don't want to crowd ya."

Yoo In Na was oblivious to the comment, but both her friend and Dara knew exactly what she meant. The confused look on Yoo In Na's face caused Dara to turn toward Chaerin as she tried to stifle a laugh. The brunette ended up burying her face in the blonde's shoulder. 

Chaerin decided then and there that she wouldn't chastise her friend because she liked when Dara was near her. The blonde leaned down and lightly brushed her lips against the brunette's hair. It was something she knew she shouldn't have done, but just couldn't resist. And she felt terrible when Dara seemed to jerk back from her.

When Dara felt the blonde's lips, the realization that they were in a very public place made her pull back quickly. It was a gut reaction to the deep fear she harbored. Finally, the brunette slowly found the courage to look at Chaerin and felt a deep sadness because she had caused that look on the blonde's face.

Chaerin was confused and concerned. She didn't know what made Dara react that way. Then she thought she realized what it was. She probably thinks I'm trying to hit on her. The blonde took a bold chance and leaned in. "I'm sorry."

Shaking her head violently, Dara said. "No, don't be. I'm the one that's sorry."

Brown and black(color of the eyes not hair) stared at each other for a long moment in quiet understanding. When Dara started to smile, the blonde did the same, as it was very infectious. That led to Chaerin letting out a small laugh and Dara countered with one of her own. Before long, they were sharing a hearty laugh much to Yoo In Na's confused annoyance. 

Bom leaned around, looking at both of them before she smirked. "Gonna share that with everyone or keep it to yourselves?"

The comment brought on another round of laughter from Dara and Chaerin.

"Guess not." Bom cocked a hand under her chin before returning to the game. 

After the game, Hyesun met the small group near the bottom of the bleachers. "Hey, guys." She wrapped her arm around Yoo In Na and kissed her solidly on the mouth. Hyesun was always much more affectionate after a game when her energy was in high gear.

Chaerin was standing right next to Dara and felt the younger woman tense. She noticed Dara quickly search the surrounding area, seeing if anyone was paying attention to Yoo In Na and Hyesun's kiss. The blonde slyly placed her hand on the small of Dara's lower back and gently made a circular rubbing motion. The blonde was careful not to let anyone see and felt safe in doing so, since Bom was standing right behind the brunette. 

The brunette felt Chaerin's touch and it immediately calmed her anxiety regarding any onlookers. She slipped slightly in front of the blonde, not wanting others to share in their privacy. 

"Time to celebrate!" Hyesun yelled.

"But you didn't win." Yoo In Na figured they would spend the rest of the evening alone together. 

It was a late game and, to tell the truth, not many of the team members were going out after the game. "I guess we could go home then." Hyesun reluctantly suggested.

Yoo In Na quickly hugged her girlfriend, then kissed her again. 

"At least I made one woman happy." Hyesun teased, still holding on to her girlfriend. "You guys wanna come over?"

Dara glanced at Chaerin who shrugged. "No, not tonight. Thanks."

"I gotta work in the morning anyway." Bom decided to throw her two cents in.

"Okay, I'll let you guys off tonight. But I'm having a barbeque Saturday. I want all of you to come." Hyesun offered them a huge smile and refused to take no for an answer. "Any time after one, and no need to bring anything except yourselves."

Bom was the first to speak up. "Fine by me. Can I bring a friend?"

"Seunghyun?" Hyesun asked, knowing the Red hair and her boyfriend from the bar she frequented. 

Bom pretended to be glum about that proposal. "If I have to."

Chaerin slapped her friend in the stomach, not too lightly. "You have to."

Dara glimpsed at Chaerin to see her reaction to the invitation. When Chaerin smiled, Dara quickly agreed. "We'll be there."

"Yeah, it's a date." Bom grinned as she bounced her eyes back and forth between Chaerin and the brunette, who both ignored her.

After the older couple bid their farewells, Chaerin, along with Bom walked Dara to her Car. "Where's Sanghyun?"

"They cancelled his practice and he decided to stay home." Dara remembered something. "By the way, he said he did great on the math exam."

"Cool."

"Yeah, cool." Bom echoed.

"Do you mind?" Chaerin nodded her head, motioning for Bom to leave.

"Oh, don't mind me." The Red hair grinned. "By the way, I'll be there Wednesday during my lunch break."

Chaerin cocked her head high. "Be where Wednesday?"

"Didn't I tell you?" Bom started to walk away. "I made an appointment to get a massage."

"No, you didn't." Chaerin shot daggers in her friend's back as she walked over to her car. 

Concerned, Dara asked. "Are you okay with that?"

The frown on Chaerin's face told Dara she wasn't. "It's just that I was thinking about coming over Wednesday on my lunch break."

"You were?"

"Yeah." Chaerin nearly growled in the direction of her car where Bom was waiting.


"It's not a problem then." Dara reached out and touched Chaerin lightly on the stomach before she withdrew her hand. "What about after work? Or you both could come over. I can be quick."

Chaerin finally tore her glaring eyes off her friend. When she looked at Dara, her eyes warmed. "You could?"

"Sure." Dara assured her friend. "What do you prefer?"

Chaerin wanted to say that her friend should cancel her appointment. Because knowing Bom, she would pump Dara for information or provide the brunette with all kinds of things about her. Neither option suited the blonde. "After work? If you have time, that is."

"Please. I always have time for you." Dara assured her friend. 

"Or I was thinking that we could practice." When Dara shot up a questioning eyebrow, Chaerin continued. "Your soccer game. Getting you in back in shape." When the brunette's eyebrow cocked even higher, Chaerin amended her statement. "I meant even better shape then you already are. I mean look at you... you're in great shape. Not just the shape of your body...I mean..." 

It was time for Dara to have some fun. She crossed her arms and friend. "Are you obsessed with my shape?"

Chaerin gulped. And when her eyes seductively caressed Dara's whole body there was no way she could have stopped them. Now completely embarrassed, the blonde looked down and slightly away from Dara. "I think I better leave now before I say something even more stupid."

Dara lifted the blonde's chin. Smiling, she assured her friend. "You didn't and that could never happen." Her long eyelashes fell before she slowly raised them again. The blonde's compliment felt nice and she shyly continued. "Besides, I like that you like the shape of my body." 

The look on Dara's face and shy words sent the blonde in a spin. Her black eyes turned dreamy as she fell deeper under Dara's spell.

It was a loud grunt from Bom that brought both women out of their reverie. 

"I'll call you tomorrow." Chaerin opened Dara's door.

The younger woman smiled because that was what she usually did for others. "Thanks." Dara climbed into her Car, then the blonde gently pushed it shut. "Bye." The brunette would have wanted to walk Chaerin to her car as well, but she knew Bom would probably make some kind of teasing comment, so she didn't chance it. Dara waved to both women as she left the parking lot.

Chaerin shook a threatening finger at her friend. "Don't you dare say a word."

Bom scratched behind her ear with one lone finger as she pretended not to know what her friend was talking about. She jumped in the car, but couldn't help herself from saying. "I bet you're glad you brought me, huh?"

***********************

When Bom left the office right before lunch, she popped her head in Chaerin's office. "Hey, want me to tell your girlfriend anything? I'm heading over there now for my massage." The red haired jerked back away from the door when a blue golf ball came flying her way. "I'll take that as a no." She risked peeking around the doorway once more, tossing the ball back at Chaerin. "Give you all the details later." Before Chaerin could say anything, Bom was well on her way down the hallway. The memory of that scene played out in the red haired's mind at the moment. 

"Why are you smiling?" Dara asked her client who was thoroughly enjoying her massage.

"God, she said you were good." Bom tilted her head up at the massage therapist. 

"Thank you." Dara's expert fingers massaged the older woman's shoulder. "That's what the smile is about?"

Bom decided to fess up. "Actually, no. I sorta gave Chaerin a hard time before I left."

"I see. You do that a lot." It was a statement. The brunette wasn't asking.

The red haired sighed. "Yeah, I do. But she's a good sport." When Dara remained silent, Bom decided to ask. "You like her a lot, don't you?"

Since there was no point in trying to hide her feelings from Bom since she had observed the two of them together, Dara confirmed. "Yeah, I do."

"She's easily likeable." Bom added before she traversed a delicate subject. "Chaerin..." The red haired pondered exactly what words to use. "She's... it's not going to be exactly easy with her though."

Dara's hands stilled. "What do you mean?"

"Has she mentioned Max?" The older woman took Dara's silence as a no. "You should ask her."

The massage therapist resumed her ministrations. "If she wants me to know, she'll tell me."

The red haired realized that she had made Dara uncomfortable upon mentioning another woman's name. "You done yet?"

"Should I be offended?" Dara asked in a somewhat serious tone. "Usually my clients don't want me to quit." 

Bom lifted herself up on her elbow and twisted around to look at Dara. "And that's exactly what I don't want you to do with Chaerin."

"I don't know what you mean." Dara stepped back from the table.

"Why don't I get dressed? Maybe we could talk a minute before I have to get back." Bom was hopeful the brunette would agree.

"Okay." Dara immediately left the room, searching for her dog.

A little while later when Bom walked into the kitchen, she found Sky being pampered, with hugs and kisses from the brunette. "You know, you can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their pets."

Not quite sure where Bom was coming from, especially after their recent conversation, Dara didn't respond. 

"Trust me, I meant it as a compliment." 

"Thanks." Dara nodded before letting Sky out the back door to the small fenced area. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank you." Bom began to doubt what she had started, but was determined to plough ahead. "Earlier... what I said about Chaerin."

"Yes." Dara waited patiently.

"What I meant... I care a great deal about her. We're practically sisters." The red haired acknowledged. "We go back a long way, and well, she's been hurt... badly."

The brunette was defensive. "And you think I'll hurt her?"

"No!" Shaking her head adamantly, before she confessed. "I don't want Chaerin to hurt herself."

"I don't understand."

"Chaerin's heart was broken a long time ago. And now she refuses to allow herself to care again." Bom studied the brunette for any kind of reaction. "She likes you." That brought a small smile to Dara's face. "And unless I miss my guess, you like her."

"I already said I did." Dara shifted in her chair.

"More than just friends?" Bom coaxed the younger woman to reveal her true feelings. 

Dara vacillated over her answer until she elected to divert the question. "She's offered me her friendship. Nothing more. And I'm okay with that. Besides..." The brunette in a calming breath. "...from what you say, she's not wanting that kind of relationship."

"Uh huh." Bom in a deep breath of her own. "All I'm asking you is that you don't give up on her. Okay?"

"I won't." The younger woman said adamantly. 

Seeing that she maybe upset the brunette, Bom apologized. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

"It's okay." In one way, Dara wanted the conversation over. She liked Bom a lot and hoped they would become better friends, especially since the red haired was Chaerin's best friend. However, Dara was feeling a little unsure of her own feelings and a lot vulnerable. 

"Dara?" Bom leaned in. "I've never seen Chaerin so happy in the last seven years, since I've known her. She needs you in her life. That's all."

Nodding, Dara felt the same way about having Chaerin in her life. "I understand. But if friendship is all she can offer, I'm taking it. I won't push her."

That produced a huge smile on the older woman's face. "From the first moment I saw you with Chaerin, I could tell you were special. Most people would give up, but not you."

"I'm not most people." Dara said with such firm conviction that no truer words were ever spoken. 

*************************

Chaerin had her own little bit of fun after Bom came back from her massage appointment. Every time the red haired tried to tease Chaerin with little tidbits about what Dara and she talked about, the blonde feigned indifference. It was driving Bom crazy. 

When the blonde pulled up in front of Dara's apartment, she honked her horn. Smiling, Chaerin heard Sky barking from the front porch window. She pushed the horn again.

Dara ambled out on the porch with her arms crossed. "I suppose you think I'm a woman to be honked at?"

"Not in the least." Chaerin yelled back at her friend, then sent the brunette a huge smile and a wink. The blonde was in a happy mood. "Just didn't want to waste anytime. Come on."

"Where we going?" Dara acted as if she was suspicious. 

"You'll find out." When Dara didn't budge from her position, Chaerin teased. "Don't make me come up there and get you!"

"Ha!" The brunette saw Chaerin stand up on the driver's seat and was about to step over the passenger's door, when she yelled. "Okay, okay. I'm coming. I'll be right back." 

"And bring Sky." The blonde watched Dara retreat behind the door. She waited patiently as Dara emerged with her dog in hand. 

"You sure we have room?"

"Sure." When Dara was standing next to the car, Chaerin pointed in between the two-seater car. "Right here. Unless, of course, you wanna sit in the middle instead."

Dara squinted her suspicious eyes. "Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you?"

Chaerin waggled her eyebrows. "You'll never know."

That made the brunette reflect for a long moment. I wonder if I will ever know. 

The pensive look on Dara's face caused Chaerin's happiness to wane. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Nah." Dara took Sky by her collar as Chaerin pushed open the passenger's door.

When everyone was settled, Chaerin drove down the rode. 

"So, where we going? Or do you tell your kidnapped victims that sort of thing?" Dara touched the blonde's elbow.

Chaerin shot her a brilliant smile. "What's the fun in that?"

"So, I'm at your mercy?"

In such a playful mood, Chaerin waggled her eyebrows again, but refused to say anything. However, the evil grin on Dara's face caused the blonde a bit of concern.

Dara squared herself in her seat, crossed her arms before she smiled. "We'll see about that." 

The blonde somehow knew Dara would prove to be a formidable force and she eagerly accepted the challenge. 

While both women were formulating their own plans to come out ahead in their little playful contest, Sky was just happy to be with her two favorite humans. 

************************

"That's not fair." Chaerin protested. 

Holding the ball, Dara shrugged.

"Gonna play that way, are ya?" The blonde took the soccer ball from the brunette.

"You said there were no rules." Dara grabbed the ball back.

"It's soccer. You can't use your hands." Chaerin reached for the ball, but Dara slipped it behind her back.

"The goalie can." Dara winked. "All you said was I try to get the ball in between those two poles." She pointed to the sticks behind Chaerin.

Realizing she had made a fatal error, Chaerin regrouped. "Okay then. Even though I naturally assumed you would be honorable..."

"Hey!"

Chaerin held up her hand to halt the brunette's protest. "...I'm gonna give you another chance. And this time, there are rules."

"Fine by me." Dara threw the ball back to Chaerin.

It hit a bit harder than Dara had intended. Chaerin rubbed her stomach. "Thanks." 

"Sorry."

"Now, go on back." She waited till the brunette took up her previous position. "I'm gonna throw the ball to you and all I want you to do is try and KICK it back into the net."

"Right, gotcha." Dara grinned as she waited for the ball to come rolling her way. She decided not to tease the blonde about the non-existent net again. 

Chaerin rolled the ball hard. Just as Dara was about to get a foot on it, Sky pounced on it. The brunette had to yank back her leg in order not to kick her dog. That movement twisted her body out of sorts, and she felt the muscle pull in her neck and shoulder.

"Ouch." Dara rubbed the right side of her neck.

Chaerin came running. "You okay?" The blonde immediately surveyed the injured area, knowing that there would be no visible signs to see. Chaerin ran her hands along Dara's shoulders, rubbing them gently. "Come over here." She guided the younger woman to the front steps. "Here. Sit down."

Dara sat on the second step, while Chaerin took up a position behind her. "That feels good."

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

Having the blonde so close to her felt like a good idea to Dara. "It will be if you don't feed me." Dara laughed.

"Oh, I see. You're faking this whole injury thing." But Chaerin's hands never left the brunette's shoulders. 

"Maybe." 

Chaerin ducked around to get a good look at the brunette. "Maybe?"

The evil grin appeared on the brunette's face again. "You'll never know."

They both laughed at that remark.

"Touché." Chaerin had certainly met her match. After a few more deep , the blonde asked. "You ready to go again?"

"Uh huh. I'm ready." Although Dara wasn't too eager to leave the comforting, warm feeling she had every time Chaerin touched her. "It's your turn to get the ball from Sky."

"Be right back." Chaerin tried several times to coax the ball from the black Lab. She sat down beside Sky and ended up petting her. "You're a good dog. Can I have the ball now?"

In response, Sky her. 

Chaerin mockingly glared at the laughing Dara. "You made her do that, didn't you?"

"If you can't handle her...." Dara started to say between fits of laughter. 

"I can handle her." Chaerin tried again to get the ball and failed. "She's just like you... stubborn."


Dara walked over to where Chaerin was sitting on the ground with her dog. "Here. Let me." Sky easily gave up the ball to the brunette before running off after some birds in the distance. With the wet ball on one hip and her hand on the other, Dara looked down at the blonde and . "You getting up or planning to stay there?"

Nodding, Chaerin contemplated her next move. "I'll get you for that." 

"Oh, and you think you can handle me?" Dara teased. 

"Wanna see if I can?" The blonde spared Dara an evil grin of her own. 

When Chaerin jumped up, Dara ran off, yelling back at the blonde. "What makes you think you can handle me, if you can't handle my dog?"

Chaerin caught up with the brunette after chasing her for about a hundred yards. She easily wrapped her arm around Dara's waist, but their feet got tangled up and they fell. Chaerin landed halfway on the woman.

"Is this the way you catch all your women?" The ball was long gone so Dara's hands found their way to Chaerin's hips. 

"Whatever works." Chaerin teased right back. 

The rest of the world faded away as neither woman was in too big of a hurry to get up. The feel of their bare skin where it made contact sent shivers through their bodies. Their breathing fell into an easy rhythm and their hearts beat simultaneously. What felt so natural being near each other was clouded by their individual thoughts. Neither woman wanted to offer something they couldn't give, nor take something that wasn't offered.

Finally, Dara broke the intoxicating tension they both were feeling. "So this is how you're gonna keep me from making a goal, huh? Is that part of the rules?"

Relieved by the brunette's teasing, Chaerin winked. "You're the one that doesn't play by the rules." 

"Uh huh." Dara thought for a second. "Rule number one. Most people play soccer in the vertical position."

The one thing Chaerin did gain from her brief conversation with Bom earlier in the afternoon was an interesting tidbit her red haired friend spilled. "I thought you weren't most people?"

From that comment, Dara knew the blonde had talked with Bom. She just didn't know how much Chaerin knew of their conversation. "I'm not."

Chaerin recognized the seriousness in the brunette's voice. "I know that." Wanting to break the bit of seriousness that seeped into their playful teasing, Chaerin tickled the woman below her. 

"Hey!" Dara protested. "Rule number two. No tickling." But when Dara was able to maneuver Chaerin off of her and now she was on top, she reconsidered. "I'm thinking I'm gonna have to amend that rule." 

Their tickle fest continued until Skydecided to join them. 

Both women finally decided to get up as the sunlight was disappearing over the horizon. "Come on, Dara. Let's get something to eat." Chaerin walked ahead with Sky by her side. 

Dara watched Chaerin walk a few feet in front of her and was mesmerized by the blonde's swaying hips. I just love contact sports. 

*********************** 

It was an early evening game, and the sun was still high in the sky. It was beading down right into the infielder's eyes. So, before the game, Seunghyun, threw the ball cap to Chaerin. "Here. Wear this."

Chaerin grabbed it. She wasn't one for wearing hats. As the blonde left the dugout, she had an idea. Chaerin ran over to the edge of the bleachers where Dara was sitting and tossed up the hat. "Here."

"You don't need it?"

"Nah. You keep it for me." Chaerin paused a moment, before teasing her friend. "It goes with the jersey you never gave back to me." 

Dara sat up. "You mean this one?" She tugged at said jersey with the purple twenty-one on it.

"Uh huh." 

The brunette put the cap on and smiled. "You want it back now?"

That thought propelled a tantalizing picture in the blonde's mind. "Nah. You keep it." Chaerin turned, but Dara heard what the blonde said as she ran off. "You look good in it."

It was the bottom of the sixth inning and the game was tight. Defense on both teams was outstanding and the Cougars knew they had to keep it up since the other teams best hitter was at the plate. Both teams were exhausted from all the hard hit balls and blazing sun pouring down on them. Both coaches tried to ensure all their players kept hydrated. 

It was a small rumble from the crowd that tore Chaerin's attention away from the game, as she rubbed the perspiration out of her eyes. Earlier when Bom offeredChaerin a water bottle, she shrugged it off, opting to steal a few moments talking with Dara instead. So the shortstop was concerned about her flushed face friend. As she was checking on Chaerin's condition, Bom realized her friend was staring at the bleachers. She glanced to where Dara was sitting, and sure enough it looked as if someone was bothering the brunette. 

Bom motioned for the catcher to come out to the mound and she joined the pitcher there, too. "Stall a bit, okay?" On her way to the second baseman, Bom was able to get her boyfriend's attention, then pointed at the crowd behind them.

Seunghyun nodded before he walked out of the dugout toward Dara.

The brunette was fuming. The guy in front of her kept making nasty comments about the Cougars, and she just couldn't remain silent when he made a disparaging remark about Chaerin. 

Chaerin started walking toward the dugout when Bom grabbed her arm. They both watched as Seunghyun escorted Dara down the bleachers to the dugout. Now that Chaerin knew Dara was safe, she finally listened to her friend.

"Get your head in the game." Bom whispered. "You can woo her later."

Chaerin jerked her head around. "It's not like that."

"Yeah, sure." BOm wasn't buying that line, making a mental note to pour a bottle of water down her friend's throat if she refused again. "She's okay now. So, come on."

The umpire was calling for the start of the game again as the other team protested the timeout was taking too long. 

The game ended none too soon for the second baseman that was hot, sweaty, and tired. Chaerin was truly delighted when Jessica hit a grand slam, assuring them of a victory. 

Dara ran up to her friend and gave her a quick hug. "You alright?" It was a warm day and Chaerin was flushed after running to home from first. 

"Yeah."

The brunette rushed over to the team's cooler, extracted a water bottle and gave it to Chaerin. "Here." She made sure her friend didn't drink it too quickly. 

"Thanks." 

Rowdy Jessica yelled over to them. "Ya guys coming to Belle's for a victory celebration?" 

"No." Dara answered quickly. She saw Bom coming over toward them.

"She okay?"

"I'm not deaf." Chaerin sipped some more water.

Bom looked at her friend, but asked Dara again. "Is she?"

"She will be." Dara assured the red haired. The brunette placed her hand on Chaerin's hip as a steadying anchor until she knew the blonde was hydrated. 

"I'm fine." Chaerin shrugged it off. While not minding that Dara or Bom gave her their attention, she didn't want anyone else coming to check on her. 

Bom knew her friend well. When a couple of the other concerned teammates headed over toward them, she went to intercede. "Take care of her." The Red haired said over her shoulder to Dara.

"I will." 

Chaerin looked directly into Dara's eyes. "I'm fine, you know."

"Perfectly." Dara agreed. 

After some debate, Dara drove Chaerin home. The blonde's car was parked in front of Dara's house. The brunette gave the blonde two options. Either Chaerin could stay at her house, because she wasn't going to let her drive home by herself, or Dara would drop her off at her home.Chaerin was used to taking care of herself and didn't want to impose, but the brunette insisted she choose one of the offered options. 

As it turned out, Dara stayed the night at Chaerin's to ensure her friend was okay, along with taking the woman to get her car in the morning before she went to work. 

Before they retired to their separate bedrooms, Chaerin couldn't help but kid her friend one more time. "And don't think I don't know why you did all of this."

Dara raised both her eyebrows.

"You just want to get your hands on another one of my prized jerseys." Chaerin could only hold the serious tone for a moment before breaking out into a full smile.

"And it took you all this time to figure that out?" Dara flippantly asked before she walked into her bedroom, closing the door behind her. 

"That woman is gonna drive me crazy." Chaerin headed up the spiral staircase. But she stopped in her tracks when Dara yelled.

"I heard that."