Chapter 4

When You're Near me

Chaerin down shifted into second as she turned the corner on her way to Dara's house early Saturday morning. She was running late since she had changed several times before deciding on wearing a pair of khaki shorts and one of her old purple and white jerseys. When she pulled the car to a complete stop in front of the massage therapist's apartment, the blonde chanced a quick look in the mirror. Seeing her hair in a bit of disarray since she left the top down on her BMW Z-3 convertible two-seater, Chaerin ran her fingers through her long hair and wondered if she should have pulled it back in a ponytail. The barking dog on the front porch caused her to drag her eyes away from the mirror. "Too late to do anything about it now." 

Dara saw the sports car stop in front of her apartment and waited patiently until Sky demanded to be let out of the door. The brunette used that as her opportunity to walk out on the porch. When the blonde got out of her car, Dara waved. "Hi."

"Hey." Chaerin called back as she walked around the car and briefly studied the barking black dog.

Seeing the bit of hesitation in Chaerin's approach, Dara yelled. "Come on up. She's a good dog." But Dara hooked a finger under Sky's collar just in case. 

In a determined stride, Chaerin walked confidently up the sidewalk. When she was just five feet shy of the first step, Sky slipped away from Dara's hold and jumped down the two steps toward Chaerin. The large dog bounced up on the blonde. "Whoa there!" Holding the dog that was now standing on her hind feet, Chaerin smiled under Sky's wet welcome.

Dara hurried down the steps and tried to disengage her dog from the blonde. "Sorry. She likes you."

The black Lab got in one more before the brunette was able to pull her off of Chaerin. "It's a good thing for me then." The blonde dabbed at her wet cheek before crouching down and petting Sky. "What's her name?"

"Sky." Dara marveled at how well the two of them were getting along so quickly. Dogs had a good sense about people and obviously Sky immediately liked the blonde. 

Chaerin played with the happy dog, but spoke to Dara. "We had several dogs when I was growing up. Mostly Shelties though." 

"They're good dogs, too." Dara silently studied the blonde as she gave Sky the attention she was craving. Chaerin's long hair ran about three inches past her shoulders. Dara noted her hair was sprinkled with many different shades of blonde. The brunette watched Chaerin tuck a strand of hair around her ear in order to avoid her dog's wet tongue. "Come on, Sky. You're getting her all wet."

When Dara said that, Chaerin looked up and as their eyes met, they both smiled. The blonde in a breath before standing. A sharp pain in her back muscle produced a grimace on the blonde's face that Dara immediately noticed.

"Come on. I need to get you on your back... now!" Dara turned around immediately, slightly embarrassed by her words. God, everything I say to her has some kind of... I'm not gonna think about that right now. I'm a professional. So.... act professional. But her mind flooded with images of Chaerin's y legs. God, help me.

Chaerin followed obediently, with Sky wagging her tail as she trotted along. "Yes, ma'am." 

After Dara got over her initial embarrassment, she turned to Chaerin, "I meant to ask you beforehand on the phone, but are you wanting a full body massage, or just work on your back?"

After much deliberation, Chaerin finally answered. "Just my back... for today, at least. It's really bothering me." With a nod, Dara accepted the answer.

When they walked into the massage therapist's workroom, Dara turned to Chaerin, after picking up a large white towel. She started to open , but caught herself first. Think before you speak. "Usually, most of my customers get..." The brunette looked away from Chaerin's intensely black eyes before continuing. "...undressed. It works better that way."

The blonde stepped closer and took the towel from Dara's hand. Their fingers brushed past each other. "I kinda figured that." That's when Chaerin ventured into dangerous territory when she asked. "You do know I pulled the muscle in my back?" Dara nodded so the blonde continued. "Well, when you said... I should get on my back, I was just wondering..."

"I just meant." Dara rolled her eyes, now embarrassed for the second time. "Oh, I don't know what I meant."

Seeing the brunette's face turn red, Chaerin smiled. "I'm just teasing ya."

Dara immediately squinted her eyes and shot the blonde a mock glare. Pointing to the small changing room, the massage therapist demanded. "Go!"

Not only did Chaerin jump at the command so did Sky and both of them ended up in the changing room. 

Dara laughed when she saw her dog enter the room with Chaerin. She took a brief moment to shake off her distracting thoughts before preparing what she would need for the massage. The brunette placed a long clean towel over the massage table and then decided at the last minute to light two vanilla candles. She grabbed for the bottle of oil, but it slipped out of her hand. As Dara leaned over she called to Chaerin. "You 'bout ready?"

"Right here."

Coming directly from behind her, Chaerin's voice startled Dara. "Oh!" The brunette turned around. "You're fast."

The blonde shrugged. "Doesn't take long to pull off a jersey."

Dara could tell Chaerin wasn't wearing a bra under the towel. The thought of the purple and white softball jersey with the number 21 on the front and back covering bare skin brought a smile to Dara's face. No bra, huh

Sensing something devious running through the brunette's mind, Chaerin asked. "What's that smile for?"

Awakened from her mind's ual detour; Dara dismissed the blonde's question. "Never you mind. Now, on the table."

"Hold on. First, I wanna know about that." Chaerin grinned.

Scrunching her eyebrows together, Dara asked. "About what?" 

Holding onto the top of the towel she had wrapped around her, Chaerin used her other hand to turn Dara. Slightly lifting the back of the brunette's shirt, Chaerin pointed at the massage therapist's lower back. "That."

"Oh, that. It's a tiger." Dara readily answered. It was when Chaerin stooped down that the brunette in a deep breath. "It gives me courage." Exactly what I need now with her so close to my... professional. I'm a professional. Just keep telling yourself that.

Chaerin studied it for a long time. "I like it."

"Okay. Enough of that." Dara turned around and waited until the blonde stood. "I think you're avoiding getting on that table. What's the matter? Don't you trust me?"

Immediately, Chaerin thought of what her best friend had said when she was holding the massage therapist's card. Have hands, will travel. "You tell me?"

Dara cocked her head. "There's only one way to find out." 

"Okay, okay." Chaerin climbed on the table, lying on her stomach. "I didn't know if you wanted me to take off my shorts, too."

That thought produced a question in the brunette's mind. Since she wasn't wearing a bra, I wonder if she isn't wearing... The brunette shut her eyes briefly and barely whispered. "Professional."

"Excuse me?" Chaerin twisted around to look at the woman. 

The massage therapist was too flustered to talk so she gently slid the towel away, revealing Chaerin's . Dara gulped. The smooth, silky skin deliciously covered the nicely shaped back. Her eyes roamed over the blonde's upper torso like a well-seasoned traveler. She wiggled her fingers in anticipation. 

Sky's barking knocked the brunette out of her stupor. She quickly grabbed the heated oil, applied it to her hands, rubbing them together before embarking on the most heavenly journey her palms and fingers had ever traveled. 

Chaerin's steady breath hitched when Dara touched her. The blonde focused on her breathing, trying to regulate it so the massage therapist wouldn't notice. 

Of course Dara did and that observation brought a satisfied grin to the brunette's face. 

The blonde tried to get her mind off the soothing hands that were sending shivers throughout her body. "So you always wanted to do this?"

Dara's hands ran the length of the blonde's torso, sighing. "Oh, yeah."

The sound of the brunette's voice when she answered that question caused Chaerin to wonder if Dara was talking about massages or something else. So Chaerin decided just to relax and enjoy the soft hands of the massage therapist as she worked her magic. 

Sky watched Dara intently as she massaged the blonde. Dara's hands found their way to Chaerin's neck, rubbing lightly at first then gradually increasing the pressure until she heard the blonde moan. The massage therapist's hands engaged in a ual dance as they traversed the smooth skin that blanketed the well-formed muscles below it. Strong, yet feminine, in every way. "You work out?" Dara asked quite suddenly.

"Hmmm?" Chaerin purred under the pleasant ministrations she was receiving. 

"I suppose playing softball and lifting those cases at work... by the way, it'll be a good idea to stop doing that. Lifting the cases, I mean. At least until you feel better." Dara didn't want anything happening to Chaerin's beautiful back that she had just decided to personally care for. 

The blonde's eyes remained closed as she drifted away from consciousness. "Mmm...."

Pleased with the desired effect she was giving the blonde, Dara congratulated herself. "I am good."

That you are. 

When the blonde didn't respond, Dara added. "If I do say so myself." Her hands moved over the blonde's shoulders where she just as lovingly spread the same healing feelings. Dara's fingers probed lower along both sides of the blonde's body and finally came to rest near the small of Chaerin's back. Her hands paused only a moment as she envisioned a tattoo there. When she continued her ministrations, Dara suggested. "You should get a tattoo here yourself." She thought for a moment. "Maybe a tribal one. I think it would be very y."

Black eyes jumped wide open upon hearing that comment. "You do?"

"Yep." Dara was beyond caring about what she was saying at the moment. Her hands were enjoying their work way too much. 

"I dunno. Never really gave it much thought." Nine years before when Chaerin had suggested to her then girlfriend that they get matching tattoos, that's when her world began to crumble. The lack of enthusiasm to her idea resulted in her girlfriend confessing that she wanted out of their relationship. "It's kinda a permanent thing."

"That it is." Dara agreed, but sensed an underlying sadness in the way Chaerin said it and decided to tease the blonde, hoping it would ward off the gloom in her voice. "Don't tell me you're a 'love 'em and leave 'em' kind of gal?" The massage therapist felt the blonde immediately tense up. Uh oh, struck a nerve. "Nah, I don't get that from you."

Chaerin relaxed somewhat by that comment. 

"Wanna talk about it?" Dara tentatively asked.

The blonde sighed. "Long story."

"I've got time. I charge for the massage, not by the hour." Dara leaned down, catching a brief glimpse of the blonde's eyes and winked. 

Chaerin chuckled. "And I thought you were giving it to me for free?"

"Well, I did offer. So the first one's free."

"I can't allow that. I was just kidding." The blonde assured the massage therapist. 

"It's okay. Business has been good lately. As a matter of fact, you don't happen to know of someplace that I could lease to expand my business. Downtown area?" Dara quizzed her client.

"There is an office complex across the street from where I work. Occasionally, it has openings." Chaerin suggested. "And if you did get a place there, I wouldn't have to go far to get a massage."

"So you're satisfied with my work, huh?" Dara combed the length of Chaerin's back with the very tips of her fingers, eliciting the expected moan from her client. 

Chaerin in a deep, relaxing breath and sighed. "Completely."
The massage therapist's hands stilled, but remained on the blonde's back. "Well, I'm done."

Yet, neither woman moved. Long moments passed with both women deep in thought before Chaerin finally spoke. "Do you think it would be a good idea to get another massage? The seasons not even half way over so..."

"Yep and I'll set you up every week if you want." Dara reached for her appointment book, but realized her hands were still oily. "Ah. When can you come back?"

Chaerin held the towel in front of her as she rose. "I work all week and my softball games are on Thursday."

Seeing Chaerin sitting there half- was distracting the brunette so she suggested. "Why don't you get dressed? Then we can see about when's a good time to come..." She swallowed hard as her eyes fell on the blonde's chest. "...again." Dara quickly turned around and started to put away the oil. 

Chaerin noticed where Dara's eyes had roamed and the blonde smiled. She sure embarrasses easily. The blonde jumped off the table and headed to the changing room. "Be right back."

Dara washed her hands and replaced the towel on the table. She reached over and blew out the two burning candles. When the massage therapist leaned back, she felt a pull in her neck. Dara cocked her neck and began to rub it. Once again, she was jolted by the sound of a voice directly behind her.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." Dara turned and met the soft, caring eyes of the blonde. "It's just my neck. Gets a catch in it every once in a while." 

"Turn around." Dara did as she was instructed. "Now I'm not saying I'm any good or anything but..." Chaerin placed both her hands on either side of the brunette's neck. "...I am a fast learner." The blonde proceeded to move her fingers and hands the same way the massage therapist had done on her.

Dara easily fell into the seductive gentle soothing of the blonde's hands on her neck. "You should do this for a living. God, you're good."

Chaerin leaned in next to the brunette's ear. "So I've been told."

Those words echoed in the brunette's mind and she laughed. "That sounds like something I would say."

When Dara turned around to face the blonde, Chaerin's hands remained in place. Their eyes met again and something very familiar transpired between the two women without a word said. 

It took a bark from Sky to break the spell.

Chaerin backed up. "I'm... when did you say I should come back?"

"Anytime."

"I'm not your only customer, you know." Suddenly, a dark thought crossed the blonde's mind. She began to wonder about Dara's other clients.

The only one that counts. "Maybe not. But I do have a few special clientele and if you're good..." Dara winked. 

"According to you, I am." Chaerin teased back.

Dara pursed her lips and cocked an eyebrow. "I haven't created a monster, have I?"

Chaerin stepped closer and asked seriously. "Have you?" The blonde wetted her lips, moving ever so slightly forward. 

The intense heat she felt from being so close to the blonde was nearly her undoing. The brunette broke the tense filled moment by chuckling before she tapped the blonde on her shoulder lightly and slipped past Chaerin. "Puhlease..." The pounding of Dara's heart begged for what was about to happen between them. But it was fear that pulled her back from the desired precipice that she had longed dreamed of. 

The blonde snapped from her trance as Dara brushed by her. What the hell was that? I am not going there again. Chaerin turned just in time to see Dara walk out of the door. "I'm sorry. I..." But the brunette was halfway down the hallway when she finished. "...don't know what I was doing?"

Sky stared at the blonde with an inquisitive look on her face. 

The blonde propped her hand on her hip and accused to the dog. "You know, you could've stopped me. Any other time you've barked."

After Dara and Chaerin agreed upon a time for her next appointment, the brunette walked the blonde to her BMW. "Cool car."

"Thanks." Chaerin stopped near the passenger door. "Listen, I don't know if you like softball but..."

"I do." Dara quickly confirmed. "I played a little in high school. Mostly basketball and soccer though."

Chaerin shook her head, trying to decide if she should ask the brunette or not. "We got a game this Thursday at Dunsing Field. You could stop by if you're not doing anything."

"Why Lee Chaerin are you asking me out on a date?" Dara teased the blonde.

Surprised by Dara's question, Chaerin immediately answered. "No!" 

Oh

The brief sad look that crossed the brunette's face did not go unnoticed by Chaerin. "I'd like to be friends. And I thought... well, never mind." Chaerin started to turn away.

"Hold on. I'd like that, too. " Dara stepped closer then peeked around Chaerin. "Do your friends get to drive your car?"

Chaerin laughed. "If they're good."

"Oh, I can be good." Dara winked. "It's just a question of how good you want me to be?"

The blonde produced a counterfeit glare at Dara. "I was talking about how good a driver they are."

Dara glanced sideways at Chaerin, offering the blonde her best innocent look. "And I wasn't?"

The bantering back and forth between the two women came naturally. They both enjoyed the light-hearted exchange, but did wonder at times the real meaning behind each other's words. "So will you come Thursday or not?"

Dara nodded. "If you let me take you tattoo shopping?"

Chaerin realized the brunette wasn't one to give up so easily when she had something on her mind. She walked around her sports car and slid in. "We'll talk about it Thursday." With that Chaerin started her car, slipped it into gear and accelerated down the road with a smile on her face.

Dara crossed one arm and let the other one rest on it as she tapped her lips with one finger. "Yes, we will." Her smile matched that of the blonde. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

um guys does this story bore you ?.......