Of Foot Prizes and Revealing Tension

Cat and Dog
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chen’s tail swayed as he stepped closer to smell the slightly burnt salmon, salivating at the chance to take a bite. Wendy scooted him away, showing him that she was displeased with his performance tonight so far by not offering him a taste when she started to plate the fish.

           “Wendy,” he whined, “Let me taste!”

           “Bad kitty.”

           Chen squirmed at the title, unsure if he should feel or uneasy. “Oh, come on, I’m trying. I didn’t voice out everything I wanted to say. That has to count for something.”

           “And you can try harder. This is important for Joonmyeon because no matter how much you don’t like her, he’s going to keep liking her. So, either act nice or go somewhere else.”

           Feeling determined, Chen wrapped his arms around her waist, his tail positioning around her leg as he nuzzled the back of her neck. When the dog didn’t even give him the satisfaction of recognizing his actions by pushing him away, except her ears being pulled back in annoyance. He tried harder, nuzzling behind her ear and whispering, “Please don’t be mad at me… I don’t like seeing my world dark and cloudy.”

           Wendy placed her hands on the counter and took a large sigh before turning around, glaring. She knew how close they were, like all the other times; and just like the other times, her heart was still pounding. They rarely ever fought these days, and though she probably was going against her judgement, she let a small grin appear as she looked away. “Stop and go set the table.”

🐱 🐶

           “Wendy, wow,” the woman moaned as the garlicky salmon danced in , “You have some real talents with cooking! This is like the same kind of food I would eat with Seulgi at some fancy restaurant.”

           “Who’s Seulgi?” Wendy blushed, taking in the compliment.

           “Oh, she’s my best friend. She eats at all the fancy places since she can’t cook for her life…”

           As dinner conversation went on, the cat pretty much kept to himself, only answering one or twice when Joonmyeon attempted to keep him in the loop. Irene was able to convince the human owner to stop after a third time, claiming he doesn’t have to if he doesn’t want. Again, it was difficult to not like the woman.

           She had more a brash personality, the cat noted, and spoke her mind without harshness. She always had a comeback, but read the situation well. She meant well, and obviously was trying to get on Chen’s good side, however, Chen still couldn’t shake off how weird everything was turning to be when he could clearly remember Jieun, sitting at table, doing what they were currently doing now.

           His thoughts were nostalgic and happy; however, he didn’t know how to feel about the reality. Sure, he was falling in love with the housemate he once dreamed of getting kicked out, however he didn’t know how he felt about watching his human fall in love when he was securely loving another. He was happy living his part, but conflicted on watching another’s.

           A nudge of his foot woke him up from a trance and he looked to over to see Wendy, who wasn’t even pay attention to him. However, he felt her foot nudge his again before lightly rubbing his ankle. Blushing slightly, his ear twitched and his tail swayed up as he felt her foot disappear, reaching out with his own foot to touch hers. He watched her bite a smile as she looked down to determine which bite of food she should take next, however, when it was her turn, she rubbed her foot a little higher to his calf.

           He bit his lip and let out a slow breath because at that moment, he started to think what if she went higher?

           You want her to go higher?

           I don’t know if I could handle it.

           Of course, you wouldn’t, you just got used to her nuzzling back. However, you would probably be a helpless kitty if she tried to play the dominant role.

           Please, I just admitted to her best friend that I’m in love with her. I can’t start thinking of those dirty thoughts now.

           Why? You have been for a while; however, she never gave you reason to think that maybe she might want the same, right?

           That day in the park… before she clawed Baekhyun…

           Okay maybe she gave you some indication. And maybe all that cuddling is a major indication, but that doesn’t mean she’s by you, right?

           That day Lisa punched me.

           Hmm…. Well she did say she wouldn’t stop you if Lisa didn’t interrupt you, but that was forever ago.

           So, what does this mean… now?

           He watched as Wendy would ignore his eyes, playing with the gold star charm on her choker necklace. Though Chen was always against collars on pets these days, as she rubbed his ankle and calf with her foot, he didn’t stop himself from thinking of a tantalizing scene that involved the choker, a silk kimono robe tied loosely, and her hair in a tight bun.

           🐱 🐶

           The evening ended a while ago for the pets as Irene asked permission from the pets to take their human out of town for a while. It’s been about half an hour since Chen volunteered to clean the kitchen, allowing Wendy to go upstairs and shower. He was kept in thoughts, and was almost finished washing the last few dishes when he felt arms wrap around his waist, a fresh shower scent clouding him as he felt a warmer pressure press against his back.

           He then took note she doesn’t initiate the back hugs enough.

           “Thank you, Jongdae.”

           He chuckled, “I feel like I should get a prize.”

           “You got the satisfaction of a smooth evening.”

           “No, no,” he smiled, washing a little faster. “That thing you did back there.”

           “What thing?” He could hear the smile in her voice.

           “You know what thing,” he purred, his ear twitching, “With your foot.”

           Then he could hear her becoming shy as she tightened her grip around his waist, “I was making sure you were alive.”

           “Was that all? Making sure I was alive throughout the entire dinner?”

           “Well I know that the bread makes you sleepy and I didn’t want you to fall asleep.”

           Chen hummed before he finished the last dish. He let the water drain as he washed his hands with a fresher scent before reaching for a dryer towel. “Is that the story you’re going with?”

           “No because it’s the truth.”

           Chen stood there, looking out the kitchen window at the night sky in the backyard. He had the urge to go outside, to smell some fresh air. It wasn’t so long ago that he and the dog were chasing each other in the backyard; the same day he found himself staring at her face and wondering what it would be like to wake up every day to it. It was also the same time he looked at her the same way he saw their human look at Jieun many times before and at Irene many times tonight; as she was telling her stories.

           His ear twitched when he felt her face rub against his back again, and it reminded him of the morning he woke up at looked at Wendy in a new light; like she was a brand-new pet. As she cooked, he saw curves and lengths he tried to memorize as the female danced and hummed to some unheard music. The strong feelings when he realized the first time that he felt something for the dog was when they were hiding among the trees in the park after the first meeting with Baekhyun rushed back to him; allowing him to wonder if this dog was more than just his –even just the thought of the word was a bit too much for him to think of.

“Wanna go outside?”

           “It’s cold out.”

           “I know but… I feel like going outside.”

           “I don’t want to let go,” she whined, showing a cutesy side that the cat also noted rarely comes out. He patted her hands and felt her let go, turning around to look at her. She was wearing a pair of socks and one of his favorite hoodies that was a bit too big for her; however, as he quickly skimmed her outfit of choice, she flapped the too-long sleeves in no particular fashion, making him squint at her attempt of being… cute? She was pouting, whining a little, which sent an unusual but not unwelcome tingle through his tail.

           He also noted that it looked like she wasn’t wearing any pants, which made his ear twitch at the ridiculous thought. He guessed she was being daring tonight, but hopefully not that daring.

           She stepped forward and looked up, bringing his attention back to her face. She tilted her head; her tail wagged upwards, “Jongdae?”

           Feeling like he was going to have a heart attack at her sudden change of demeanor, he looked up, avoiding her eyes, “So, I’m just gonna grab a coat…”

           “Jongdae, it’s cold outside.”

           “Hence the coat.”

           “I don’t wanna go outside.”

           “Then you don’t have to,” he said as he opened the closet, rushing to find his jacket. He was beginning to have thoughts that were more than just what he can imagine without the hoodie and maybe the wall; instead he was thinking more long-term. However, he wasn’t going to try to show the female that he was rushing to avoid looking at her. Does she know what she’s doing to him?

           “But I wanna be with you,” she whined, sending more tingles through his tail as his ear twitched at the words. Though she was just being a bit stubborn, he felt like there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter