Firsts

Firsts

The first time YiFan layed eyes upon ZiTao, the senior did nothing but silently scoff.

ZiTao was a freshman, and not a very suave one at that, and yet he strutted through the halls seamlessly with some type of new-age satchel lazily hanging off one of his shoulders.

The first time YiFan started up a conversation with ZiTao, he was disgusted and confused.

ZiTao started the conversation using 'nin' and being quite polite, but soon he dropped his 'nin's to 'ni's and executed his ever-so-slightly different sounding QingDao dialect.

The first time ZiTao did not turn up to school, YiFan did not think he would notice. Needless to say, he did.

The third time this happened, YiFan went to his apartment, which happened to only be a few blocks away.

He found ZiTao unpacking his few possessions, and ZiTao found himself explaining how he could possibly be living alone and suddenly sitting on a couch with some type of soup as YiFan insisted that he would clear the rest of it away.

The first time they stared at each other was when YiFan was investigating how anyone could be as ambiguous to anyone as ZiTao.

The first time they screamed together ZiTao could have sworn he saw a ghost while he was in the shower, and YiFan had heard the scream and thought ZiTao had killed himself by slipping on the tiles.

The first time they held hands was when their music exams were being taped onto the fence bordering the school.

The first time they hugged was shortly after that.

The first time they danced was when ZiTao suddenly said, 'Let's learn a couple dance!' after they had finished studying their respective levels of English at his apartment.

'Troublemaker' had a surprising level of success.

The first time on of them cried in front of the other was when ZiTao fell down YiFan's stairs and did who-knew-what to his wrist on the way down.

The first time YiFan sang in front of anyone ZiTao and YiFan had decided to record a duet to Jay Chou's 'Rainbow'.

YiFan, however, could only concentrate on ZiTao's rapping.

The first time they shouted at each other YiFan had accidentally stepped on ZiTao's ipod, deleting all of ZiTao's efforts.

ZiTao refused to look at YiFan for a week afterwards.

The first gifts they gave to each other were curiously the same brand of stuffed toy, on the same day, the only difference being the animal.

YiFan became an alpaca, and ZiTao a panda.

The first time they kissed was on Christmas when they had coincidentally met in the town square in front of a glittering fountain.

Needless to say, their hearts had fluttered thousands of times in between.