Chapter 4

Love in the Rain

It had been five days since Taehyun called or texted him.  This time it was Mino that was feeling the anxiety. How did he managed to turn it around like as if he was the one at fault and had to apologize? Unknowingly, Mino slammed the book he was reading down onto his table.

“Someone seems to be in a bad mood…” Hyeri rolled her eyes at him.

“I am not.”

“If you say so…”

“So… Have you seen Taehyun?”

“Taehyun? No except that Seohyun has been complaining constantly that Taehyun has been coming home pretty drunk the past few nights.” 

“Yah! That guy! Drinking too much is bad for health!”

“Why don’t you tell him that yourself?”

Hyeri patted Mino on the back sympathetically when she saw his troubled expression.

“Because…”

“Because?”

“Nothing…”

“Nothing?”

Mino sighed loudly.

“It is just that something happened last week and I was mad at him. I have been avoiding him lately but now it turned into him avoiding me instead. It feels as though I am the one who is in the wrong right now.”

Hyeri’s eyes widen.

“You! As in Song Minho is angry at Nam Taehyun?”

“Yes, mad at him… Me… unbelieveable right?”

“Wow the pigs must be flying then.” Hyeri joked.

“Hey!”

“Okay! Chill… So just call him back…”

“He has been pestering me the first few days and now suddenly there is no calls no texts no nothing.”

“You miss him…”

Silence.

“Song Minho, you have pinning for him for the past three years. Of course you will miss him. He is a big part of you.”

Silence.

“Maybe it is time to move on. It has been 3 years.”

Mino sighed again.

“It is easier said than done. Taehyun is not someone that I can easily just throw into a dark corner of a cupboard, lock it and throw the key away.”

“What about that cute looking girl you have lunching with lately?”

“Lee Hi? She is just nice. That is all.”

“Hmmm…”

“What?”

“Nothing…”

“Just spill it.”

“There is nothing to spill really. Just that you should keep an open mind.”

That is what I have been telling myself. Mino thought to himself silently in his mind as he watched Hyeri walked off. His mobile phone rang and excitedly picked up the call without looking at the caller thinking that it will be Taehyun.

“Nam Taehyun!”

“Nam Taehyun? Who is that?”

“What?”

“Mino oppa, it is Lee Hi.”

“Oh hello, Lee Hi. Sorry about that just now.”

“It is ok. I just wanted to check if we are still on for dinner tonight?”

“Dinner? Yes, sure dinner tonight.”

“Great! I know this place in Apujeong. They serve not bad food. It is called Mumbo Jumbo.”

“Sounds good.”

“Meet around say 8pm?”

“Sure.”

Mino got himself a date for tonight but he did not understand why keeping his mind open was making him feel so miserable.

~~~~~~~~~~

The soft clanking of the metal meets the coffee mug echoes through the pantry as Hyeri absentmindedly stirred her coffee. How time passed so fast and touching her fourth finger where her engagement ring is, Hyeri still cannot believe how happy she is. Talking to Mino makes her reminiscence about her past.

She grew up in the orphanage and because she was pretty much a tomboy, she got along more with the boys more than the girls. She was much happy running around and kicking ball on the field than playing dress up or cooking.

One day, she was walking through the park when she saw a group of boys kicking another boy who was already on the floor. One black eye and a couple of bruises later, the two who became fast friends held hands and walk home together.

From that day onwards, the two were inseparable. But because Wooyoung comes from a wealthy family, his mother did not really approve of Hyeri so they normally met outside to play. Years passed and the two of them attended high school together. Although they were of different social circle, but it did not matter for they would always meet after school at their favorite playground to catch up for the day.

It was a fine day when he asked her to be his girlfriend and they spent many happy times sitting under the starry nights holding onto each other.

On that one fateful night, the car was headed towards her direction but he swerved the car so that it will be coming towards him instead. I love you was his last words before he pushed her out and the deafening sound of metal against metal surrounded the night. He was killed instantly. She blamed herself.

For one year, she fell into depression and was like a shell just walking through life. Then she started to drink to numb the pain away. On the anniversary of his death, she was sitting by the harbor and then she close her eyes and let go. The cold water hit her but she did not feel the coldness that filled her lungs.

An angel-like voice calling her, waking her up. She open her eyes and there was Jihoon, who happened to see her jump. Day after day he visited her at the hospital and although she did not say much, but was grateful for his company.

When she recovered, he offered her a job at his company. A small little photography shop that was open by him and his best friend. They could not really afford to hire anyone. In fact, Mino was pretty against the idea but Jihoon stood his ground. He encouraged her to cherish life and move on. Slowly, she began to recover the pieces of her that was lost. It was definitely encouraging to have friends even Mino who was resistant in the beginning, warmly accepted her as well. She was Lee Hyeri only previously but now she is Lee Hyeri, the proud wife to be of Pyo Jihoon.

“Penny for your thoughts?”  a strong pair of arms wrap around her.

“Just reminiscencing.”

“About Wooyoung?”

Hyeri nodded.

Jihoon turn her around to face him. He look into her eyes and kiss her lips lovingly.

“Happy thoughts only.”

Hyeri smiled.

“I am. I will always loved Wooyoung for he made me but you,” Hyeri kissed him lightly, “shaped me.”

They embraced and thank their lucky stars that they have found each other.

Jihoon was worried when he saw Hyeri space out in the pantry. It kind of reminded him of how she looked  that night when she jumped.

He was slightly more blessed than the rest of them as he still have a father that lives in Busan. His father sent him to school in Seoul and there he met Mino who was the resident rebel in school. They became fast friends and Jiho and Yonghwa came into the picture after a tussle between both sides.

He was on his way home but later than usual because Mino went off in a hurry to see Taehyun. It was a funny sight, the school’s resident rebel knocking off early so he would not be late to meet his boyfriend. Then he saw her. The light illuminated her, a lonely soul sitting by the side of the harbor. He was captivated by her presence when she suddenly fell into the water. Without any hesitation, he followed suit.

He still remember how lost she look sitting in the hospital room and somehow he was drawn to her. He offered her a job at his and Mino’s newly established company although Mino protested but Jihoon was insistent. Jihoon even offer her a room at their place. He just wanted to help her get on her feet.

He did not know when he began to want to hold her hand or that his stomach feels like it has butterflies fluttering in it. But he chose to put aside that thought and continued to be her friend. One fine day, when they were eating lunch, Hyeri just kissed him. She told him that she likes him and wants to be more than just friends. When they came back holding hands, Mino rolled his eyes and told them it was about time.

They were blissfully happy and recently he proposed to her. They have bought a place of their own and will be moving over once they officially become Mr and Mrs Pyo.

“So what were you and Mino talking about?” he tighten his hold around her as she lay her head on his chest.

“The usual stuff.”

“I see…”

“It’s been a long time.”

“It has.” She nodded her head.

“I always wonder how come he is so attached to him. What is his hold on him?”

“Just because...”

“Just because?”

“Just because he loves him.”

“That simple?”

“Yes, as simple as you and me. Just because I love you.”

Hyeri smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino was standing outside the restaurant waiting for Lee Hi when raindrops began to fall. He had been playing with his phone distractedly the whole day since his talk with Hyeri. Willing for it to ring or beep but at the same time relieved that it is not. It had been five days. Three days were their maximum time ‘away’ from each other. He miss Taehyun badly but he needed to move on or so he kept telling himself.

Taehyun was standing at the corner of a restaurant when it started to drizzle. His phone had been an extension of his hand for the past few days. Keying in that one number he know by heart and then erasing it as if by doing so, he could erase the feeling of hurt. It had been five days and he missed Mino like crazy. It was crazy but he had been drinking every night since that day when he saw him with her, hoping that it will dull that ache he felt in his chest. Taehyun wondered what was he doing right at that moment.  

The cold breeze blows and sends a chill through their bones. It was exactly like that 4 years ago when their story began…

~~~~~~~~~~

Hihi, a filler chapter before we dive back in again... Enjoy... let me know thoughts... no silent readers please...