Eight

Love Again

I was at the SMent building doing some vocal practices before my phone rang. It was an unknown number. I ignored it but it rang for 3 times already.

“Yoboseyo?” I picked up.

“Cho Kyuhyun.” A rough voice replied sarcastically calling out my name.

“Who is this?” I asked, but then I heard Minji’s voice over the phone crying out begging them to stop. “Minji?!” I exclaimed. “Yah! Who are you?! What are you doing with her?!” I yelled. The caller laughed evilly ignoring my questions.

“Please stop. It hurts.” I could hear Minji panting and begging in pain. It sounded like they were beating her hard.

“Street 375, Busan.” The man said. “What?! I can’t be finding--- “ he hung up before I finished talking. I tried to call again but he switched off his phone. I decided to call Heechul to ask about the address. He told me that it might be the street near the mall or the one at a housing area. So I decided to go to the mall. I found the street but it was quiet and nothing was there as it was behind the mall but a bit further from it. I saw an old warehouse at the end of the street. As I went off the car, a guy came up to me. “Intelligent. I thought you won’t be finding your girl here.” He chuckled.

“Where’s she?!”

“Come with me.” he smirked as he brought me into the warehouse. I saw Minji was laying down weakly on the dirty floor, looking up to me. “Minji!!” I was about to run to her but the men held me from doing so. “You heard her screams, now, I want you to watch the torture by yourselves.” The man said as he went to grab Minji’s hair pulling her to stand up. Minji was too tired that she couldn’t scream anymore. I struggled to get myself off but they punched me and beat me up. “Kyu.” I heard Minji calling as I was beat up. “Fight, Minji!!” I tried to convince her. The man dipped Minji’s head in a basin of cold water. She can’t seem to be able to fight anymore.

Over the chaos, the police came. I decided to call the police and inform them before coming to the warehouse. The police fought and arrested the guys. As the chief inspector was asking if I’m fine, one of the policemen called out the chief.

“Chief!!” we both looked over him seeing that Minji went unconscious and fell on the floor before the policeman could hold her. “Minji!!” I ran and put her head on my lap, calling her out but it was useless. The ambulance came and brought us to the nearest hospital. We were treated in the emergency ward and then being transferred to the Seoul University Hospital right after then.

                                                                                   *           *             *             *             *

I was sleeping till I felt Minji squeezed my hand which was holding her hand. “Minji?” I opened my eyes to see her awake looking at me but suddenly she took her hand off me. “Get out.”

“Minji? It’s me.”

“Get out!!!” she yelled pushing me who was trying to comfort her. The nurses got in before Dr. Park Hyesun who is the chief of the emergency ward and was the chief to Minji when she was with the emergency department. “Minji! Minji! Calm down! Kyuhyun, can you please wait outside?” Dr. Park ordered.

                                                                                   *           *             *             *             *

“What she is facing now is a major trauma from the incident happened. She seems to be afraid of guys as it was all guys who tortured her right?”

“Yes.”

“We run some tests on her to check if the judgment I made was right, and the result was positive. I referred her to a psychologist here and she will be undergoing treatments for her trauma problem. As for her physical, she suffered some wounds and bruises from the tortures. She will be having problems with her nerves. What we fear of is that, she won’t be able to be a surgeon as she ever dreamt of.”

“Is there anything we can do about it?”

“I’m afraid the answer is no. The neuro department had confirmed it. So, the management had put an extension for her as well as allowing her to postpone this internship program until she recovers. After her recovery, she must decide either to change the course from surgeon to any other professions in medical field or to quit because the management is not allowing her to proceed with her nerves problem.”

“Can’t you help her with it?”

“I’m very  sorry but it is not my working scope to determine this and the patients’ life are too valuable to be put on the risk of her hands. With such nerves problem, Minji will not be able to grip things for long and her focus will be affected. This will cause risks on patients as well as the hospital reputation. It will be dangerous if we allow her to be a surgeon. If she insists, you might be able to convince her to be an anesthetist.”

“As for now, I shouldn’t be able to see her right?”

“The psychologists had reviewed her case and she said that this might take up to 6 months for her to recover from her trauma. I suggest that she lives with her parents for the mean time.”