A Sorry Start

Circling Fireflies: First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: The new group members move into the dorm and get to know each other. Jae and Heechul have a heart-to-heart chat.

A.N.: Thanks to a 3-hour airport layover and a long flight, I was able to get a short chapter out for you guys this week. Yay! It’s rough, but I’ll polish it up when I get back from my trip.  Also, between Jae enlisting and Yunho’s tears, I’ve had enough angst. The next chapter will be pure DB5K fluff. ^^

A.N. 2: Saramoonwolf made a lovely gifset about Fireflies chapter 7. 

 

 

—)(—

 

Manager Pak throws open the door and we get our first look at the group’s new apartment.

“Waaah! This is great!” says Junsu, dropping his backpack just inside the door and walking around. “I was afraid it would be like Yunho’s old room.”

Me too. But the new place is far nicer than my dark, cramped room overlooking the inner courtyard. SM has given us a corner suite on the top floor—the best possible location in the dorm. That alone tells me that they have high expectations for this group.

No pressure.

The main room is spacious and bright, with plain white walls and wood floors. Large windows look out on the SM building across the main street. The furniture is nothing special—a couch, shelves, a coffee table and some chairs. All of it is well-used, but decent. It’s nice enough, but there’s an impersonal feel to the room. There’s nothing welcoming about it, nothing that says “home.” We can fix that.

We all set down our bags and start to walk around. Junsu disappears down the hall. I can hear his excited exclamations as he explores. The American keeps his backpack on as he peers around the corner into the dining room. He keeps a pleasant smile firmly fixed on his face, but I can see a lot of thinking going on behind his eyes. Deep waters, as my father would say. He’s someone to keep an eye on.

I’m not sure what to make of Changmin. The kid hasn’t spoken more than a few words since I met him this morning. He reacts to everything with the same solemn acceptance, his expression placid. I heard that he was slated to be a solo singer, so he must have a good stage presence, but so far I haven’t seen a glimmer of charisma. Maybe he’s just shy?

And Jae. My gaze is pulled to him like a magnet. He’s wandering around inspecting the suite with the rest of us, his face lit up with surprise and appreciation. From what he’s told me about his run-down old apartment building, this place is a big step up.

I walk over to him, as casually as I can make it look. He darts me a glance when I stand next to him by the window, then his eyes skate away and he turns his head slightly, blushing. It’s the same reaction he’s been giving me since last night. He’s obviously uncomfortable.

I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet. After Ssem’s announcement, our new group sat through hours of intensive orientation, then came here to our new quarters. We haven’t had a minute alone together—and that seems to be fine with Jae. Every time I try to talk to him, he looks down and then finds an excuse to leave. I don’t know what to think, but a sinking feeling in my gut tells me that I’ve screwed everything up. How did I misread him so badly last night? Was I really so drunk that I thought my friend would want me rubbing my body all over him? I cringe inside at the memory. No wonder he won’t look at me. He’s embarrassed for me. As embarrassed as I am for forcing myself on him. Need to apologize. Need to make things right again.

I speak quickly before Jae can walk away. “Hey, can we talk?”

He nods, but doesn’t meet my eyes. He stares out the window at the SM building, fingers toying with the hem of his shirt. He’d obviously rather be anywhere else than here.

My face burns with shame at what he must think of me. I keep my voice low as I try to explain. “Look, about last night. I’m real—“

“Not much of a view, is it?” Changmin’s voice sounds right in my ear. I jump, startled. He walked up so quietly that I didn’t even realize he was there. He’s looking at the billboards on SM’s rooftop.

“The studio? It’s not so bad. We won’t forget why we’re here, that’s for sure.” I try to laugh, but it doesn’t sound natural.

Changmin nods. “Like that’s possible with our insane debut schedule. We won’t have time to think of anything but SM for the next few months.” He shakes his head while I look at him in disbelief. This kid doesn’t say a word all day, then the moment I get a chance to talk with Jae he gets chatty? What the hell.

“So that schedule isn’t normal? Oh thank god.” The American joins us. Great. It’s a party. At least Jae looks more relaxed now, listening closely as Changmin responds.

“Sixteen-hour rehearsal days? Normal? Maybe for robots.” Kid’s got a mouth on him.

“Now, now. Don’t make it sound worse than it is,” Manager Pak says as he walks up with Junsu. “You’ll get used to it. And you’ll be grateful for every minute of practice when you debut.”

Chastised, we all bob and our heads and mutter, “Of course, manager-nim.”

He gives a satisfied nod, then opens the folder he’s carrying. “Since everyone’s here, let’s go over the last few items of business. Follow me.”

We trail behind him as he walks us through the suite, explaining SM’s expectations for cleanliness and order. We have to take turns cooking and cleaning. Respect each other’s property. No guests after 10 p.m. and no female guests at all, except with special permission. He drones on about more rules, but I already know them all from having lived in the dorm this past year.

He points out a row of shelves where we can keep our equipment. Cabinets in the bathroom for towels and toiletries. We cram into the back hall together so he can show us how to work the thermostat. Then he pauses and looks down his list again.

“I think that’s it. Oh wait. Sleeping.” He points to several doors along the dark hall. “There are three bedrooms. We might turn two of them into music rooms for you eventually, but for right now you can spread out. Two, two, and one.”

“Yunho and Jaejoong can have the big bedroom,” offers Junsu generously. “Since they’re the oldest.”

My stomach flutters a bit at the thought of sharing a room with Jae. I have a quick, vivid image of how it would be to lock the door, push him back onto a bed, and kiss my way down his pale body. Heat prickles my skin at the thought. But when I look at Jae, his averted eyes and uncomfortable body language are like being doused with ice water. What’s wrong with me? I haven’t even apologized for what I did last night, and I’m already planning ways to do it again. Jae’s probably worried I’m going to jump him again. He should be.

I feel monstrous.

“No, you have assigned rooms. It says right here. You,” Pak points to Junsu, “are in the middle room with Changmin.” Junsu looks nervously at Changmin, who seems indifferent to the news.

“You two,” Pak continues, pointing at Yoochun and Jae, “are in the front bedroom. Yunho, you take the bedroom at the end of the hall down there. Everyone okay with that?”

We nod. Yes. What else can we say?

“Good. Go ahead and get settled in. The rest of your belongings will arrive later this evening.” He consults his watch. “I have a meeting with the director about your schedule in a few minutes, so I’ll leave first. See you at 7 a.m. sharp tomorrow.” We bow our goodbyes, then he bustles off around the hall corner, leaving us alone.

We all look at each other. There’s so much that needs to be said, so many new things to discuss and decisions to make, but we stand silent. Everyone’s tired and overwhelmed from this day of surprises. The worst of my hangover has faded, but I still feel like I could sleep for a decade.

“Let’s check out our rooms,” I say finally. That breaks the spell. We shake off our lethargy and grab our bags.

“I looked at them earlier,” Junsu says. “This is the nicest one.” He leads us to the first door on the hall, the one Pak indicated belonged to Jae and Micky.

He’s right. It is nice. The room is large, with two windows overlooking a quiet side street. There are two beds and two closets. There’s even space for a small loveseat. Micky and Jaejoong wander around, inspecting the space. They look pleased.

“Which bed do you want?” Jae asks shyly.

Micky shrugs. “I don’t care. You can choose.”

“Okay, I’ll take this one, then.” Jae picks the one farthest from the door. He sets his bag on the mattress and begins pulling out items. Micky investigates the closet on his side of the room. They both act like I’m not there.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter