I.O.U.

Circling Fireflies: First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Yunho and Jae get assigned to new groups. Jae gets called to the CEO's office and leaves with a secret. A hard practice leads to trouble for Yunho. And, oh yeah, there’s aegyo.

A.N.: I'll be traveling for a week, so I pushed this chapter out in a rush. It's not as polished as I'd like, so please forgive the typos. I'll clean it up when I get back. As promised, this chapter is all Yunho. I dialed back on the details so that I could move the story along faster. We have a LOT of ground to cover, and I’m just wrapping up the backstory. OTL

But next chapter, big things start happening!

 

 

—)(—

 

I follow Lee Soo Man into his office. No matter how many times I come here, I’m always awestruck. The room is designed to impress. Curvy modern furniture dots the long, gleaming expanse of marble floor. The walls are covered with awards, framed articles, and pictures of the many successful SM groups: H.O.T., S.E.S., Shinhwa, BoA. I’ll be up there someday. At the far end of the room, in front of a vast arched window, the CEO’s ebony desk rests on dais. It’s always spotless. I’ve never seen so much as a folder or a scrap of paper on its polished surface. Wherever he does his work—and he definitely works—it isn’t here.

“Have a seat, my boy,” he says, walking toward a small lounge area. He settles on an S-shaped chair and gestures for me to come over. I incline my head and follow his direction, sitting on a plum-colored couch. It looks plush, but the cushions are stone hard. I gingerly scoot out to the edge of the seat and rest my hands on my knees. Manners.

“Are you thirsty? Looks like you were having quite the workout with…what’s that boy’s name?”

“Kim Jaejoong.”

“That’s right, that’s right. The vocalist. I hear he’s got a good voice, but the rest…” He trails off, shaking his head. “Anyway, I’ll ring for tea. Or maybe some juice?”

“Nothing, thank you, Seonsangnim.” I hesitate, but then I have to speak up. “Please forgive me for saying, but Jaejoong is better than you’ve heard. He’s come far since he started. I’ve never seen anyone try so hard to improve.”

Surprised, Ssem Soo Man studies me through dark-framed glasses. I know from experience that his shrewd gaze misses nothing. “You two are close? I didn’t realize.”

“We became friends a few months ago. The others were picking on him because…because he looks feminine. I thought it was unfair. So I make sure no one bullies him anymore. And I try to help him with his dancing. I have a responsibility as his sunbae.”

The chairman nods. He looks at me thoughtfully, his seamed face unreadable. But when he speaks his tone is mild, approving. “You’re a born leader, my boy. I’ve expected great things from you since you started here, and you haven’t disappointed me.” He laughs. “Good thing, too. How could I face your parents if I had to end your training? Eh? Your pretty mother would never invite me over for her wonderful dumplings again.”

I grin. He’s in no danger of being excluded from family gatherings, and he knows it. My family has known Lee Soo Man for years. He and my father have been fast friends since college. One of my earliest childhood memories is climbing on his lap to get a piece of candied ginger. (And then crying and spitting it out when all the sugar was gone and the sharp taste hit me.) My sister and I would perform at family dinners, singing or acting out skits. Awful, childish stuff, but “Uncle” Soo Man always praised us and clapped harder than anyone.

He encouraged my parents to get me proper dance instruction and defended me when I announced that I wanted to dance professionally. My father was devastated. He wanted me to follow in his footsteps as a lawyer. But it was hard to argue with the success of Ssem Soo Man’s company or the fame of his performers. And when he promised to personally look out for me and my career, my father caved and let me have my dream. I owe everything to Lee Soo Man.

“But I didn’t ask you here to talk about your umma’s cooking. I want to know how things are going with you. How do you like dancing with Shinhwa? They treating you right?”

“Yes, of course, Ssem. I’m learning a lot from them. You were right about their showmanship. They have incredible stage presence! When I watch our shows on TV, I’m impressed by how they connect with the audience in a thousand small ways.”

“You see that, eh? Good. That’s star quality. It’s the one thing I can’t teach here. You either have it or you don’t.” He gets up and starts to pace in the small lounge area, hands in his suit pockets. “Sometimes you can coax it out of hiding with enough training. Sometimes a solo performer is lackluster, but put him in a group and pow! Magic.”

He stops pacing and stands in front of the couch, emphasizing his next words. “That’s what I do. That’s my job. It’s what project groups are for. I rearrange the pieces into different combinations until I find it. Lightning in a bottle. The true stars.”

I nod at him. I know exactly what he means after watching Shinhwa. There’s something about the six of them together that just…works. The group is greater than the sum of its parts. It’s magical.

“What about you? Do you have it? Star quality?” The questions come out of nowhere.

“I, uh, I…” I stumble over my words, not knowing how to respond. To say “yes” is arrogant. To say “no” implies I’m hopeless. What do I say? He’s waiting for my answer, eyes watchful glints behind his glasses.

“I think… I think you’re a better judge of that than I am, Seonsangnim.” I bow my head, waiting for his judgment.

He throws back his head and laughs, a full belly laugh. Good sign. I relax.

“You’re your father’s son, alright. A very diplomatic answer!” he chuckles some more. “But come now! Be honest. Don’t you want your turn in the spotlight? Aren’t you tired of being stuck in the background of someone else’s show?”

Yes. I want it so bad I can almost taste it. I’d kill to be center-stage. But I know better than to say that. “I trust your decisions, Ssem. I know you’ll move me up when I’m ready.”

He reaches down and pats me on the shoulder, clearly satisfied with my answer.

“Good lad. Your modesty is commendable. It’s true that you’re not ready yet, but you’ve improved. I hear good things from your instructors. Keep it up! Your time will come soon. Still missing a few pieces, but it’s almost there. Be patient.”

“Of course, Ssem.” What choice do I have?

I sense that our interview is over, so I stand up. He walks beside me to the office door, hand on my shoulder.

I bow and turn to leave. He calls some parting advice after me as I walk down the hall. “Take care of yourself. Work hard! And watch your friend, eh?”

What does that mean?

 

—)(—

 

It’s the start of a new year, and everyone’s back at the studio after holiday break. We’re gathered for the annual special assembly, when SM announces changes to the project groups. It’s rare that all the trainees are together at one time like this and you can feel excitement in the air. The auditorium is the biggest room at SM, but we’re still packed in, pressed up against each other and chattering away. So many talented people in this room, but only a few will be stars. I look around the room in wonder.

To my left, Heechul and Kangin are talking to a group of girls. I know most of them from dance classes, and Jung Minseo was my partner for a showcase once. I squeeze through the crowd to their group.

“Yunho!” Minseo clutches my arm and pulls me in close to her side. She’s a pretty girl, with an oval face and smooth, dark hair. Today’s the first time I’ve seen her wear it down in months. In fact, all the girls look nice today. Trainees usually dress in sweats or practice clothes, hair tied back or hidden in caps, exhausted from school and work. But today we’re wearing the new clothes we got as holiday gifts and are energized from our break. There’s a festival air to the assembly.

“I like your hair like that, Minseo. You should wear it that way more often.” I give her my best charming smile.

She rolls her eyes and swats my arm, but I think she’s secretly pleased. “Like you’d notice if I did.”

“What? How can you say that?” I place my hand over my heart, mock wounded. “You know that I treasure every glimpse of you I get.”

“Yunho Yu-don’t,” she jokes.

“Please stop,” Heechul interrupts with a pained expression. “Your mating ritual is an insult to our intelligence. And with Kangin here, that’s really saying something.”

“Yah! Why are you insulting me? What did I do?” Kangin looks indignant. The girls laugh.

As they continue bickering, I look around the packed room for Jae. He was supposed to meet me by the lockers half an hour ago, but he never showed up. I tried calling him, but his phone was turned off. It’s not like him to not even text. But he’ll show up soon enough, I guess. There’s no way he’ll miss this assembly. It’s too important.

The truth is that our excited chatter covers real fear. For every new project group that starts today, for every trainee who gets a shot at a solo career, someone will go home. When SM “rearranges the pieces” to find that elusive winning combination, there are some pieces that just don’t fit. For some, today will end in Lee Soo Man’s office with his “Sorry, mate” speech and a contract termination.

Everyone’s praying it won’t be them.

There’s a loud bang at the stage door. It opens, and a group of SM executives dressed in black walk out. They’re followed by the CEO himself. The men walk to center stage and stand behind the podium, hands clasped behind their backs and stony faces staring back at the assembly. It’s an intimidating sight.

Lee Soo Man strides forward to the podium. He taps the microphone to make sure it’s on, then speaks. “Okay, everyone. Settle down, settle down. Let’s get started.”

The room falls silent. I can feel the tension in the air as everyone focuses their attention on the stage and the man who will decide our fates.

Where the hell is Jae?

Like a true CEO, Lee Soo Man opens with some remarks about SM’s rising value in the Korean market and the financial and critical success of its flagship groups. He discusses several new ventures that the company is embarking on and expresses optimism for the economic future.

“Nobody here is going to see that money, so why should we care?” mutters Heechul. “Get to the good stuff.”

“You’re not nervous?” I whisper to him.

“Of course not. No reason to be. Are you nervous, Golden Boy?” He sends me a challenging look. I have to look away. We both know I’m not. And we both know why. Golden Boy.

“Shh! Here it comes,” whispers MinSeo.

The CEO is wrapping up his speech.

“Today marks the start of a grand adventure. I see faces here that will be on every magazine and screen in Asia in a few years. But you’ll have to work for that honor. You’ll have to buy your fame with sweat and pain. Start now, today, with your new projects. Accept your new assignments with grace and look for the promise in each other that we see in you. Best of luck to you all.”

He bows amid loud applause and gestures toward one of the businessmen. It’s Director Gil. He steps up to the podium with a sheet of paper in his hand. The room goes silent as he leans forward to the mike.

“Yes, well, let’s get right to it, shall we?” He reads off the sheet of paper. “First project group, reporting to Instructor Bo: Pak Inyang, Han Soori…” He lists off names, most of them unfamiliar. I recognize Kwon Yuri’s name, though. She’s in a group with Jaejoong’s friend Jinah. I make a note to tell him that when I see him later.

If I see him.

Director Gil continues listing names. I hear Junsu’s name. He’s in a group with Eunhyuk and Sungmin. Interesting. I never would have pictured that combination of abilities. That’s why Ssem is in charge.

More names I don’t know, and then, “The following project group will report to Instructor Tan: Kim Youngwoon…” Ha! That’s Kangin. “…Kim Heechul, and Jung Yunho.”

The three of us look at each other, jubilant. Then Kangin slaps Heechul on the back, and then we’re all pounding each other on the back and stifling the laughter that bubbles out. This is the best. I couldn’t ask for better members. Together, we might have the magic that Ssem is looking for. Hope shivers through me. This could be it.

As the announcements continue, the crowd breaks into clusters as the new groups gather and start making plans. Today, new loyalties and cliques will form; old ones will be forgotten or ignored. New friendships will form and old friends will drift apart.

Hearts will break.

The trainees whose names have not been called are anxious. They grow more desperate as each group is announced and they aren’t in it. Looking around the room, I see several strained faces, eyes locked on the stage and Director Gil.

“And finally, the following people will report as soloists. Heo Eunhye, report to Instructor Lim. Park Hyunae, report to…”

The list drones on. The atmosphere in the room grows tense as the names tick off. The occasional gasp of relief can be heard after a name is called, but otherwise the crowd is silent now.

There’s movement on my right as Minseo moves forward to stand next to me. Her face is pale and her small hands are clasped tightly together in front of her. White-knuckled prayer. Her name hasn’t been called.

Neither has Jae’s.

I frown.

Director Gil clears his throat. “That’s it for this season’s project groups. If your name was not called, please—“

He’s cut off by Lee Soo Man, who steps forward to whisper something into his ear. The director listens with his head cocked to the side, his expression puzzled and then mildly surprised. He sketches a brief bow to the CEO as he steps back into position. He pulls a pen from his pocket and makes a notation on the project list he’s holding, then leans forward to speak into the microphone.

“There has been a slight adjustment to one of our project groups. The following change has been made.”

Minseo’s face next to me blazes with sudden hope. I have my own hope and send up a quick prayer. Please god. For Jae.

“Reporting to Instructor Tan: Kim Youngwoon, Kim Heechul, Jung Yunho…and Kim Jaejoong.”

Thank you. I close my eyes in relief.

There’s a low buzz of confusion. I hear disbelieving mutters all around me. Kim Jaejoong? Why Jaejoong? Shy, awkward, clumsy Ja

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter