I See You

Connection

It is 9 o’clock in the morning when Jackson and the nurses are whispering to each other while watching worriedly at Mark who is flipping over the pages in a patient’s record file. Since this early morning, Mark has been in a very bad mood that he glares at whoever tries to talk to him. Mark is usually a nice and gentle guy, but everybody knows better than to mess with him when he is a foul mood. Even Jackson who is the closest to him does not dare to take even one step close to him, since he had tasted the wrath of the infamous Mark after he finished Mark’s favourite kimchi jigae. Mark would normally be kind enough to just let it slide, but he had just have a fight with his father at that time and got really pissed that Jackson became his toy to let out his anger.

Jackson flinches when Mark suddenly comes to him, the nurses quickly dismiss, and he holds out a file in front of his face. He glances at the older boy in confuse and asks, “What’s this?” while pointing at the file.

“Im Youngjae’s patient record,” Mark answers slyly.

“So what does this have anything to do with me?” Jackson asks, obviously the reply Mark gave did not answer his curiosity.

“Examine him for me,” Mark replies short.

“What? Why?”

“Don’t ask me why, and just do it for me now. Or better yet, just give it to Takada. I’m done.” Since Jackson does not seem to take the file anytime now, Mark just drops it on the counter rather roughly and started to leave. But he is pulled back by Jackson who grabs his arm, preventing him from leaving.

“Did something happen?” Jackson whispers.

“There’s nothing happened. What makes you think that?” Mark asks in annoyance.

“I heard you gave the kid a toy yesterday, is that true? Then something must have happened with the handsome dad that you’re so moody today.” Mark glares at Jackson. It is one of his annoyingly trait that he seems to easily read Mark through like a book, and Mark hates it.

“Shut up. There’s really nothing happened,” Mark insists, shrugging Jackson’s hand that is still gripping his arm until just now.

“Why are you so secretive? Usually you’d complain to me anything that annoys you although I didn’t ask. Say, was it that bad?” Jackson tries to persuade Mark into talking but to no avail.

The latter says, “I can’t tell you anything because there’s nothing happened.”

“If there’s nothing happened then just go examine him. It’s your job so don’t push it into someone else’s hand. Didn’t you say you wanna improve yourself?”

Hearing Jackson said it, something clicks in his mind. As much as he hates to admit it, Jackson is right. He thinks to himself, why an adult like him, a doctor nonetheless, would behave like a sulking child toward something so trivial. It is not like this is the first time he meets a troublesome parent. He does not say anything, instead takes the file back from Jackson’s hand and leaves.

Jackson sighs and puts his hands on his waist, watching him leaves. Mark has always been emotionally stable and he would get really angry at times, but this is the first time that he has seen Mark like that. “Something must have happened with the handsome dad. He really is interested with him although he doesn’t realize it.”

 

Mark and a nurse who assists him on the daily examination have just finished checked on some patients when they reach Youngjae’s room. Mark is not expecting to see the stuffed gorilla he gave the boy in the room, but it is there indeed, hugged by Youngjae’s little arms. Jaebum is not as surprise as him when he sees them enter the room, as if he has been waiting for him. Both of their eyes meet but Mark quickly averted his sight toward Youngjae to avoid him. However, while he is concentrating on observing Youngjae’s condition, he could feel Jaebum’s sharp gaze on him that his focus gets distracted.

After the examination is done, he explains to Jaebum about his son’s condition that he has gotten much better compare to two days ago. “His fever has gone down a bit, though he’s still dehydrated. We’ll add on one more IV drip for him and some antibiotics. His blood pressure has become normal, and the rashes have slowly lessened. Luckily his bleeding has stop and doesn’t seem to have gastrointestinal bleeding, so he doesn’t have to get blood transfusion. We estimate he can get well completely in another one week,” Mark explains all this without even looking at Jaebum at all.

The nurse gives a shot of antibiotic to Youngjae, and they begin to leave but are stopped when Jaebum suddenly grabs Mark’s right hand. The younger man looks at Jaebum in confusion, while Jaebum glances at the nurse and asking her to leave them alone. As soon as she leaves, Mark quickly snaps out of his daydream and pulls his hand out of Jaebum’s grip, his cheeks are blushing.

“I…I see you didn’t throw out the gorilla,” Mark says, though it is not the first thing he wants to say.

“Well, yes, since you’d gone through all the trouble to get it for Youngjae. Thanks by the way. He really loves it,” Jaebum replies. He looks at Mark but when the other person does not seem to say anything in return, he clears his throat and says, “I know this is late, but I apologize.”

“What?”

“I realize that I’ve been unfair and rude toward you these two days. I punched you and called you a fake, and I even doubted you for your kindness. Everything that I’d said until yesterday, I’m really sorry,” Jaebum confesses with his head hanging low. Hearing that confession just now, Mark wonders if it is his imagination playing with his ears, but it does not seem to be the case. Jaebum looks really sincere slightly bowing in front of him.

“But, you’re kinda right. Perhaps I’m not a good doctor after all,” Mark says sadly.

“That’s not true!” Jaebum instantly denies. “You’re a really good doctor. I don’t know anything about medical, but I think a good doctor depends on how you handle and cope in any bad situation. It’s not all about diagnosing and treating patients. So, Dr Tuan, personally I think you’re a good doctor because you didn’t run away. Even though you knew there’s a tension between us, you still came to make up for it. You’re really brave to face your wrongdoings. For that, I respect you.”

Mark stares at him in awe with his mouth agape. He had only seen Jaebum’s bad side and his gentle side is only toward his son, so he is surprised that Jaebum is willing to apologize first. In a very sincere way, he might add. He looks down and scratches the back of his neck bashfully. “Re…really? Thank you,” he replies.

 Jaebum gives him a wide eye-smile and says, “I just remembered, since our meeting was terrible, we hadn’t exchanged introduction properly. So here we are. Hi, I’m Im Jaebum, the father. Nice to meet you. What’s your name?” He holds out his right hand for a handshake and Mark gladly accepts it.

“Hello, I’m Mark Tuan, the doctor assigned for your son. Nice to meet you too,” he says. As their hands touch, they are smiling at each other, that Mark could not ease the overflowing thrill in his heart.

 

The atmosphere in the pediatric ward has changed drastically. If this morning Mark was releasing some threatening aura, he is suddenly behaving like a playful child, going around the ward and walking so lightly like a feather jumping up and down on his toes. He looks so happy, doing his work enthusiastically and even cheerfully greeting all of the patients that he passes by. He is known to be an optimistic guy who is always nice to the patients, but right now he is too overwhelmed with a good mood that it confused the other staffs. Even Jackson is starting to get annoyed with his odd behavior during lunch in the cafeteria. Mark could not stop talking about how Jaebum is actually so nice, and about his comfortable rough hand, and also about his cute eye-smile.

“Hold on!” Jackson almost spit out the food he is trying to enjoy when Mark says something he did not expect. “Cute? You said he’s cute?”

“Yes. Was it wrong for me to say that?” Mark asks back.

“Well of course not, unless if you do realize that you’re really interested in him!” Jackson exclaimes.

“What?! I’m not!” Mark denies.

“That again? I don’t know if you’re dumb or clueless, but have you ever been in love before?” Jackson tries to make it clear for Mark. There is no way that he would never realize his own feelings. Jackson could not allow that.

However, that question makes Mark feel quite uncomfortable so he chooses to not give the answer, but Jackson could guess it. “So you haven’t,” he says.

Mark instantly blushes. “So what?! it’s better to fall in love when you’re matured and old enough to understand this matter. Or are you saying that you’ve been in love before?”

“Yes,” Jackson quickly replies. “That means I’m more matured than you.”

“And older.”

“Shut up.”

After that, they stay quiet for a while, both swallowing their food in silence until Jackson breaks it off.

“Why do you keep insisting that you’re not interested in him?” he asks, his voice is muffled with food in his mouth.
“So why do you keep insisting the opposite?” Mark asks back.
“You’re so stubborn.”
“I could say the same to you.”
“Well, isn’t it great to be in love? You’re alone at the moment, so it’s a good time to find a lover.”
“But it doesn’t have to be him.”
“Why not?”
“He’s a widower. And he’s 6 years older!”
“So? There’s no law in love.”
“But it matters to me!”
“I don’t understand why you’re so afraid to admit it.”
“Because it’s not true.”
“There you go again.”

Mark laughs. To tell the truth, he is actually conscious of his own feelings. He has been attracted to Jaebum since the first time he saw him. But there is no way that he can be honest toward Jackson. He knows too much already, and Mark wants to avoid telling him things more than necessary. Of course, Jackson does not need to know that.

While he is concentrating on his own thought and Jackson keeps ranting about his stubbornness, there is suddenly a scent of lily that hits his nose. He quickly looks around the cafeteria, thinking about the beautiful guy he saw that illuminated the fragrance yesterday. Sure enough, he sees that person again, standing by himself not too far from their table. And surprisingly, he is also staring straight toward them.

“He’s here again,” Mark mumbles alone, though Jackson hears it.
“Who?” he asks.
“The beauty in white clothes. I saw him too yesterday at the pediatric,” Mark answers.
“Beauty? Where?”
“There. And he’s looking here.” Mark points out toward the beautiful guy he saw and Jackson turns around, eyes scanning the whole cafeteria. But he does not see anyone wearing white attire.
He looks back at Mark and says, “I didn’t see any beauty.”
“What? But he’s just right there!” Mark insists, but looking back at the beauty again, he has already leave.

“Oh, he’s gone,” Mark says, and Jackson sighs.
“Are you that mad in love that you’re seeing things now?” Jackson teases while smirking.
“I’m not seeing things! And I’m definitely not in love! Will you quit it already?” Mark snaps.
“Not until you admit it.”
“Wang Jackson!”

The rest of the lunchtime continues with them bickering. It causes a bit of a scene in the cafeteria, but the people around them only laugh it off. However, Mark could not forget that beautiful guy and the lily scent that he smelled. It is a sweet scent, but somehow, Mark feels weird and uncomfortable.

 

He meets the mysterious beauty again when he passes some documents to the nurse behind the counter in the pediatric. This time, since the guy suddenly appears out of nowhere, Mark jumps a bit and almost curses.

“Holy…you scares me,” Mark says, though like yesterday, the other guy does not say a word. Instead, he looks at Mark so intensely that Mark breaks a sweat.

“Wh…who are you? You wanna say something?” Mark carefully asks, but does not get any reply and the guy still has not break off his sight.

“Doctor?” he hears the nurse calls him and looks away. “Who are talking to?”

“Eh? The guy in white clothes.” Mark turns back and points out to the guy beside him, but once again, he is gone.

“There’s no one there,” the nurse tells him and Mark frowns.

He wonders why the mysterious guy always comes and leaves so quickly. It confuses Mark more that the guy seems to have something to talk to him but never say anything, and it is getting weirder.

 

Later that day, Mark is resting in the hospital garden. It was a tiring but exciting day. Mark has forgotten when was the last time he enjoys his work. Today is a first after a long time. He sits on a bench in the garden and baths himself in the evening sun. Too much work has worn him up, but it is all fine as long as his job makes him happy. Suddenly, he feels something cold against his cheek and he looks up, and he sees Jaebum standing behind him and pressing a can of carbonated drink on his cheek.

“You’ve worked hard. Sorry that it’s not beer. You drive to work right?” Jaebum says with a smile.

Mark accepts the drink gladly. “It’s ok, thank you,” he says, pops open the drink can, and gulps it down. “That’s what I call heaven!” he exclaims happily.

Jaebum chuckles and takes a seat beside him, a little too close to Mark that it makes him flinches a bit. “I’ve never seen anyone would get happy drinking a carbonated drink,” Jaebum smirks.

“Eh? Well, it’s hot so a cold drink is enough to satisfy me,” Mark replies, without looking at Jaebum.

“I bet it’s really tiring,” Jaebum states, then Mark looks at him in confusion. “I watched you,” Jaebum continues. “You’re really down this morning, but after the conversation we had, you looked different. You seemed to work really hard to your heart content, smiling widely even though your hands are loaded with so much work. When I saw you, I thought you’re amazing.”

Hearing that, Mark feels as if his ears are burnt from embarrassment. This is what he realized this morning, that Jaebum seems to have the tendency to touch his heart by giving him sweet words. He knows it is wrong, because Jaebum is someone out his reach, and it is weird to love someone who he had just met. But Jackson might be right. He has fallen in love.

While he is thinking by himself, Jaebum glances at his watch and says, “It’s late. Youngjae is sleeping but it’ll be bad if he finds me gone when he wakes up. You should go home too. See you tomorrow.” Jaebum stands up and brushes Mark’s hair a little, before he walks away. Mark, still has not gotten over the realization of him having feelings toward the older guy, has turned deep red due to the touch. He touches his hair, the traces of warm sensation from Jaebum fingers could still be felt, and it makes his heart thumping so loud that he could die.

He takes his hand down and sighs. I really should leave before my heart cannot take it anymore, he thinks and getting ready to leave. But before he could leave, he finds a black-coloured wallet which is dropped open on the side of the bench that Jaebum sat earlier. Is this his? He must have dropped it when he stood up, he wonders. He takes it off the bench and sees something interesting kept in the wallet. It is a photo of Jaebum back hugging another guy and being all smiley and lovey-dovey. The background of the photo is a beautiful night view, with a small handwriting at the bottom of the photo that states 'Jaebum X Jinyoung forever'. Seeing their happy faces, Mark wonders if the guy in the photo was Jaebum’s wife, but then something clicks in his mind.

While he is staring in disbelief at the photo, the beautiful guy in white appears in front of him again, and Mark looks up, his eyes b with horror and shock.

“You…” he says. “You’re Jaebum’s wife? You’re a ghost!”

 

 

Have you guys seen the Dream Knight Comments Event with Mark, Jaebum and Youngjae? I really ship JJ Project, 2Jae and Markjae, but I've to admit that I was really happy and squealing like an idiot the entire time I watched the video. There were so many Markbum moments that it reminds me of this story. Somehow I feel they're loosely connected and I become more excited. So here is a new chapter, and please enjoy it!