Mark's Insecurity

Connection

Currently at my hometown, where the internet connection is bad. So I apologize that there are some comments that I couldn't reply. Somehow I manage to borrow my cousin's internet (bless her) and update new chapter~

Apparently, I had lost some readers. Well, it's my own fault. But I'm still sad :'(

Alright, enjoy the story~

 

 

It is another bright and shiny morning, marks the start of a new day, but Mark is consumed by this gloom atmosphere while he is preparing himself for work in his house. After that whole crazy back-to-the-flashbacks thing with Park Jinyoung the ghost, he was distracted all day and could not sleep well last night. Too much was going on in his mind that he could not think calmly. There are so many things that he does not understand. Why would the ex-wife search for a new love for his husband by himself? Even though Jinyoung had told him about wanting to make him Jaebum’s last love, he thought it was so strange. There must be another reason for Jinyoung to choose him. He would not simply find him only because Mark had just fallen in love with Jaebum. Besides, there was that connection which Jinyoung had mentioned the previous day. But when Mark was being oblivious and asked him about the connection, Jinyoung did not explain any further.

It seems you’ve forgotten about it. It’s understandable since it has been more than 7 years ago,” was what he said.

Mark sighs deeply. He feels mentally exhausted. Who would have thought that he was pursued by someone who was already dead once he had fallen in love? And it was his first time to boot. Sure, there were times that he had some lovers. But the more he tried to love them, the more he wanted to end it. Of all his past relationships, not one had given him a sweet memory. Rather, when he was with his lovers, he had never felt anything. So when he remembers the past between Jaebum and Jinyoung yesterday, he feels even more annoyed.

Jaebum was my first and last love. And I was his first, but I could never be his last. Jaebum has to fall in love again. He must so he can live on with his last love. And it has to be you.

Mark grits his teeth, his hands that are tying his tie stop and grip the mirror in front of him. He looks at his reflection in the mirror and feels sorry at himself for being pathetic. He smiles sadly and laughs. Then he says to himself, “Did he expect me to be a replacement? What a joke.” This is it. There is always this insecurity that he felt and it makes him feel weak.

 

Once Mark arrives at the hospital, he quickly takes the elevator to get to the pediatric. But maybe the God is not by his side, that he is to meet Park Jinyoung the ghost first thing in the morning, and it sickens him. Jinyoung is there when the elevator doors open, as if he has gone down to greet Mark. And there they are, being the only two people (or a man with a ghost) riding the elevator. Of course, Jinyoung is very beautiful. Maybe because he is descended from heaven that he looks purer and brighter than the living humans, but still he is a ghost and it is freaky. And there is that whole last love thing that he hates being with him even more. Mark lets out a heavy sigh, and it catches Jinyoung’s attention.

You don’t have to be so obvious about it. Even if I’m a ghost, I still get offended,” Jinyoung admits.

Mark scoffs and says, “Since you’re a ghost, do I have to squeal happily when I saw you come down to greet me personally?” with a sarcastic voice.

Don’t worry, this is the last time you’ll see me. So before I forget, I wanna thank you for saving my child,” Jinyoung says, clearly brushing off his sarcastic remark.

“I was meant to ask you this, but why are you always in the hospital? I only see you here but not outside,” Mark asks, suddenly remembering his own curiosity.

Because I’m connected to something Jaebum has. Even though you’re the only one who can see me, I can only be somewhere near him. Though it’s up to me where to appear, as long as he’s close,” Jinyoung replies with a smile.

“Connected to something?”

You saw it, right? Our honeymoon photo.

Hearing Jinyoung’s answer, Mark instantly becomes frustrated again. He replies with an ‘Oh’ softly and puts his head down. Of all things, he does not want to remember something about the love life Jaebum and Jinyoung had. It only makes him feel even more insecure. And it does not leave unnoticed by Jinyoung.

So this will be the last time we meet. Unless, if you want to work with me and become Jaebum’s last love, you’ll have to bear being with a ghost for a longer time.” Although Jinyoung means it as a joke, he wants to know what Mark has in mind since he has not given any answer regarding the matter. However, he does not realize that Mark has been clenching his fists the whole time.

Then Mark abruptly turns toward him. “Last love? What’s that? Don’t think you can decide for me just because I didn’t say anything! I haven’t accepted it yet, and you go talking about making me his last love. I don’t understand you! You’re his wife but you want me to love him. And just because you’re dead, you think he’ll easily fall in love with me? You saw it too! You saw that he always brings the photo with him! And the ring! He is always wearing the ring! So you expect me to say ‘oh, alright, I’ll be his lover and make him happy’? He can never forget you! Not when he’s still so in love and you’re so pretty and strong-willed that I can never beat you!”

After his outburst, Mark finally realizes what he had done when he sees the shocked expression on Jinyoung’s face. He had not meant to say it out loud and vent his frustration on the man in front of him. Obviously, he was not thinking clearly and it made him lose his cool. He quickly cups his mouth with his hand, and when the elevator finally reaches his floor and the door opens, he hastily walks out of the elevator and secretly hoping that Jinyoung will not follow him.

 

Mark is doing his round for morning check-ups on his patients assisted by one of the nurses. But when they reach Youngjae’s room, he dismisses the nurse. The nurse passes him all the equipments she is holding before she leaves, and then he enters the room to find that Youngjae already has his stuff packed. Jaebum is feeding the little boy breakfast when they see Mark walks into the room. The handsome man smiles and greets him, but unlike before when Mark is usually enlighten to see him smile, he feels sadden instead. And it is because he now knows that the smile he gives is only for courtesy, and he had seen his smiling face when he was in love. He thinks that he could never see his loving smile directed to him ever. And that makes him feel even more pathetic. Quickly, he shakes his head, hoping to wash off the agony in his heart.

“Are you alright?” He hears Jaebum’s worried voice asking him that it startles him a bit.

Mark stutters, “Y…yeah, I’m fine.” He walks over toward the father and son duo then begins to prepare the check-up. “Go on, continue your breakfast. I’ll finish this in no time,” Mark says, all the while refuses to look at Jaebum in the eyes.

“It’s okay. We’ve just finished anyway.” Jaebum puts away the tray of food on the table and wipes off the food remnants from Youngjae’s lips.

“If…if you’re done, please go to the counter. There is some paperwork that you need to do,” Mark tells him, while he is taking Youngjae’s blood pressure and pretending to be busy with the check-up. Ever since the whole fiasco yesterday, somehow he just cannot bear to look at Jaebum. His heart feels hurt as if it is squeezed so hard. Maybe that is the feeling of jealousy.

Jaebum seems to realize his unusual behavior but he does not push it any further. Instead, he stands up from his chair and walks out of the room, leaving Mark alone with his son. After he leaves, Mark lets out a sigh, as if he can finally breathe. True, it feels a bit suffocating being in the same room as him. And he has no idea how to behave normally in front of Jaebum. How does the normal him usually behave anyway?

While he is thinking to himself, he does not realize that Youngjae has been staring at him the whole time. And when he hears the little tyke asks him, “Uncle, were you the one who gave me the gorilla?” it makes the young pediatrician smile.

“Yes, I am. But I’m only 25. Don’t call me uncle, it’s hyung,” he says.

“Okay?” Youngjae replies, though he still looks a bit confused.

Mark chuckles softly, and then he pats the little boy’s head tenderly. “Alright, we’re finished. You’re ready to go.”

Hearing his words, Youngjae instantly brightens up that he almost jumps on the bed with a huge smile. “Am I really okay now? I can finally go to school?” and it surprises his doctor.

“You wanna go to school that much?” Mark asks, curious with Youngjae’s excitement.

“I don’t really like school. But because I’d always get sick, appa couldn’t go to work. He had to take care of me. And when he went to work after I got better, his works had piled up and he would get home late and tired. I feel sorry for him. I don’t want him to think of me as a burden.” Youngjae’s chubby face looks obviously sad when he talks about his father that Mark cannot help but feel worry. But on the other hand, Mark thinks that this young fellow seems to be more mature than the other kids his age. It makes him wonder if having to grow up without a mother causes him to feel more responsible for himself since he might not want to burden his father. In some ways, Mark can relate to his situation.

He sits on the side of Youngjae’s bed and takes the little boy closer to give him a side hug. “Has your father ever told you that you’re a burden? Or have you heard him complained at you?” When Youngjae shakes his head without hesitation, Mark continues, “So, you don’t have anything to worry about. He won’t think of you as a burden because he really loves you. I’m sure of it.”

“Really?” Youngjae asks, eyes full of hope, and Mark nods.

“Of course! You can count on me. And let me tell you a secret. Your father would really cry if you’re not by his side. So make sure to always be there with him, okay?” Mark says, almost whispering, though there is no one else in the room. Youngjae happily smiles and responds him in a loud voice, that Mark cannot help himself from squeezing him tight in his arms. He really likes children, but this little tyke is exceptionally adorable, causes him to refuse in letting Youngjae go.

Meanwhile, neither of them has realized that Jaebum has been looking at them secretly from beyond the door. And the expression he has when he is looking at them is of affection.

 

Mark takes a short break and has gone down to the front of the hospital building to see them off. As Jaebum is loading their bags into the taxi they are going to ride, Youngjae is excitedly talking about their house with Mark.

“Gorilla hyung! Can I see you again? I wanna play games but appa doesn’t wanna play with me.”

Mark laughs at Youngjae’s whining act. “Of course. Whenever you’re bored, just tell your father to call me. I’ll come and play games with you. However, I told you to call me hyung, not gorilla hyung. It’s Mark hyung, okay?”

“I’m sorry. Because I like the gorilla. But I like Mark hyung too!”

“What? What about appa?” Jaebum jokingly pouts. He hears the two’s playful conversation that he cannot help but to join in.

“I like appa too!”

“And omma?”

“Yeah! I like omma the most!”

Jaebum smiles. His son’s enthusiastic responds really make him happy. Nothing in this world can make him happier than this. Unless if Jinyoung is still alive, he thinks to himself.

But Mark thinks otherwise. He is still moved by the close relationship the father and son have, but he feels kind of lonely when they talk about Jinyoung. It is as if Jaebum is putting a barrier between his family and him. Are you telling me to back off? Mark thinks and his heart throbs.

“You’d better go. The taxi is waiting,” Mark says, praying that his sad expression would not be so obvious.

Jaebum nods in agreement. He tells his son to get on the taxi first, and then he turns to face Mark. “I don’t know what happened, but I hope it’ll be alright.”

Mark looks at him, bewildered. What is he talking about? He thinks.

“Well, you looked different just now. Like there’s something troubling you,” Jaebum continues, as Mark does not look like he is going to say anything. “I like it when you’re being your cheerful self. Your smile is pretty.”

This time, Mark is really surprised. To be honest, he had heard many people said he was good looking, but it is the first time someone says his smile is pretty. And it makes him leaping in joy inside.

He shifts his eyes from Jaebum’s face and brushes his bangs backward in a bashful manner. “Actually, there’s nothing happened. I’m just tired,” he says as an excuse. There is no way he can tell the man that his dead wife had come and has been with him the whole time. He would either be crying or call him crazy.

“Okay. You have my number right? Just call me if something happens. I’ll be there.” Jaebum pats his head one last time before he boards the taxi and with a smile, he and Youngjae are waving at him.

After they are gone, Mark realizes his face is already beet red when he feels the one spot on his head that Jaebum had just touched with his hand. As he thought, there is no way for Jaebum to forget about his love for Jinyoung. But his tenderness when he touched Mark felt so warm that it melted his heart. Normally, people would not pat someone’s head just because he was their child’s physician. So maybe Jaebum thinks differently of him, even if it is not love. And maybe, just maybe, there is still a chance for him.

 

 

There is nothing much happened in this chapter. It focuses more on Mark’s insecurity which is of course important for his character development. You don’t think I’d let him accept Jinyoung’s proposal that easily, do you? *evil grin* I think instead of him seducing Jaebum, it will be more fun if Jaebum is the one seducing him but unconsciously. Ufufufu~~
I plan to, it’s not confirmed yet.

Btw, Youngjae’s character is a bit hard to portray. He is cheerful and childish in real life, but to write from a child’s pov is hard. So yeah, I took a long time in writing it but hope it works.

Next chapter- Mark and Jaebum will meet again!

Make sure you read the note I wrote prior to this chapter. It is very important.

Also, if you’re a fan of JJ Project/Bnior, check out my historical fanfic “The Male Concubine”. I assure you it’s worth reading.

Thank you for reading :)