Prologue

Connection

"Congratulations, it's a boy," the doctor informs them and the three family members that are standing in front of him breath out a sigh of relief and smile. However, all of their faces are stained with tears. The doctor put a hand of encouragement on the father's shoulder and says in a grief voice, "Jaebum-shi, he won't be able to survive tonight. I'm sorry," and he leaves.

Jaebum only puts his head low and does not say anything, as if he is alright with the news. Well, he already knew it in the first place, but still his heart has crumbled to pieces. His parents-in-law tap his shoulder as a sign of sympathy before they leave him alone to visit their precious son who they woud not be able to meet again after tonight. Even though they are the parents, they understand the agony that Jaebum feels, so they have decided to be strong for their children when the time comes. Easier said than done, they break down into tears once they see the figure that lies on the hospital bed.

After a few of exchanging final words, they walk out of the room and tell Jaebum to stay with their son for the night, before they leave to handle the hospital paperworks. Jaebum, without saying a word, enters the room with heavy steps. He is welcomed by a bright smile over the pale face that he loves so much and the sweet voice that has always been the music to his ears. "Bum-ah, can we go to the rooftop?" Jinyoung asks.

He complies and lifts Jinyoung off the bed, then holding him bridal style and carefully uses the staircases to get to the rooftop. Once they reach the rooftop, Jaebum takes a seat on a bench with Jinyoung on his lap. "Aren't you cold?" Jaebum asks and Jinyoung shakes his head. "You're here so it's warm enough," he says. Those simple words make Jaebum smiles. Jinyoung has the power to make everyone happy, and that is one of the reasons Jaebum fell in love with him. Jaebum hugs his wife tighter and squeezes both of them closer to get rid of the coldness.

"Bum-ah"

"Hm?"

"Are you alright?"

Jaebum chucles softly, though his voice is breaking. "I'll be lying if I tell you I'm not."

Jinyoung takes Jaebum's left hand and entwined his fingers with his own, so that they could see their wedding rings next to each other. Looking at the rings, both of them are taken back to their sweet memories. The moment when they first met, when they both fell in love with each other. Throughout their romance from the beginning until the end is only filled with happiness. Their wedding was held in the simplest way but was the merriest. But their happiest moment is when they knew they will become parents.

Jinyoung's train of memories is disturbed when he heard Jaebum calls his name softly. He turns to look at his husband and is quite surprised to see him crying. He touches Jaebum's face gently and wipes off his tears. He can feel himself almost breaking down, but he could not, for the sake of the one he loves most, he wants to be strong so that his husband can rely on him even until the end.

"You know, Bum-ah?" Jinyoung says, while Jaebum is looking at him with glistening eyes. "The most important memory for me is when I met you. I've a feeling that if I wasn't late that day, I won't be able to meet you. I'm very thankful that the one I fell in love with is you. And I'm grateful that you're willing to be with someone as fragile as me. Bum-ah, you know I love you right? I love you so much that it hurts to leave you. But I'm sorry. I can't fulfill our promise. I'm really sorry."

A single tear make a trail down Jinyoung's cold cheek, and Jaebum puts his finger under his wife's chin to lift his face up. He closes the distance between their faces without breaking the eye contact and says, "Jinyoung-ah, don't leave me," before he kisses him softly. The innocent kiss is never like any of their other passionate kisses. It is far more romantic and all of their love can be felt in this one kiss. It is the same as their first kiss.

Then, Jaebum could feel Jinyoung's hand drops on his lap, and instantly his tears drop. He knows that it is time. But he does not want to let go of the kiss, for this is the last time he can feel Jinyoung's lips against his. He brings Jinyoung's body closer and hugs him tighter, while hoping that it is all a dream, that Jinyoung does not have to break their promise of staying together forever.

 

In the hospital room, Jaebum cradles his small baby boy in his arms. He holds him very carefully and watches him dearly. The baby is still sleeping, and it makes him very happy just to be able to hold him. He still could not believe it that he and Jinyoung could create such a magnificent and beautiful live. If only Jinyoung can see him from the heaven, he must be very happy. He chuckles when the baby's small eyes slowly blinking open to adjust to the bright surrounding, and even such a small gesture makes Jaebum's heart leaps with joy. "Hi, there.Finally awake?" he says softly. he touches the baby's lips and they slowly open to the touch. "Your mother wanted you to be a genius and bright child. So your name is Youngjae. From now on, you must work hard to fulfill your mother's wish, okay? Do you understand, Im Youngjae?"

 

 

So, how is it? I tried to express the sadness in jjp's farewell scene and I tried my best. Tell me if it's not sad enough or if it's boring. Sorry that it's short. There is more to come about jjp's past in the upcoming chapters as flashbacks so I hope you can be patient. The next chapter will be longer and there will be Mark's first appearance.