Kim Jongin

The Adagio To My Opera

Kim Jongin never hate Seoul. Seoul has only been so good to him. That’s what came to his mind the first time he set foot again in Seoul after a long time. He took a little of the morning air with a deep breath and let it out full of determination.

I’m back, Seoul, he whispered then smiling in satisfied.

Unfortunately, the moment he realized where his first destination today is, the smile on his face turned into a frown. Business talk, bond with money and contract with an institution, is not something Jongin favor. But this is something he has to pay for his study abroad. Yes, to be honest, the tuition is not necessarily free. Jongin just doesn’t need to pay it with money. But with working contract for 2 years in a renowned entertainment company in Seoul.

After he got all of his luggage items, he grab a taxi and ask the driver to go to his apartement first. Yes, he even got an apartement for himself. Well, it’s basically on the very top of the apartement building. Yes, a penthouse. Can you imagine? Jongin himself amazed at the fact.

So the contract he signed three years ago is about him, going to school abroad, free of tuition and all living expense in London. But as a replacement, he has to work for the entertainment company for 2 years, after that it’s up to him whether he want to continue or not. As the contract binder, he got himself a sport car, and 5 years rented penthouse from the company as an advanced earnings.

It’s something to be honest. Some company scouted him three years ago, but none of them dare to gamble this much for his dancing skill. So chose this company and gambled as much into his future.

The truck that brings all of his belonging from his apartement in London has arrived yesterday night, so his living room’s full of boxes right now. But Jongin’s too tired to give a about this messy living room, so he just sit there on the sofa that still wrapped in transparant plastic and give his head a little rest before moving again to his first appointment in Seoul.

After Jongin felt he has enough rest, he got up and grabbed his black leather jacket, wallet and phone and got into the elevator. Its still felt weird to leave the house in an elevator. He even got an elevator access to basement where the sport car, correction, his sport car were parked by the company’s errand man. But no, today he’s not going to use it. In fact, he didn’t really know, when he would actually use it. Oh yes, he could drive. But driving has never been in his favor. He prefer taxi. He just has to sit there, tell the driver where, and pay. That’s it.

So here he is, sitting on the back seat of a cab. Heading to the company office he’s going to work for from now on.

Along the way, he observed how far Seoul has changed and it doesn’t change much. Maybe that’s because even when he’s gone, Seoul is already a modern city that doesn’t need any major changing. The only change he actually realize is some public ads, whether it’s on the big billboard or on the bus.

As he looked carefully into some billboard, his eyes caught an image of two people on pretty much half of the billboards around him.

A duo-band named ‘Angels’.

‘Angels’? Where has he heard of that name?

And one of the face looks very familiar to him.

That face...that face...... Who is it?

No way!! It’s him, isn’t it? He thinks in surprised when he finally remember the face. It’s Kyungsoo. It’s Do Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo is a famous singer now? Wow, this is something, Jongin thinks. A smirk grew wider on his face unconsciously.

His last memory of the smaller boys was around three years ago on the morning of their graduation. He’s so different in that ads. No wonder he’s having a hard time remembering the boy.

He remember how a small dark-haired boy wearing two big-cute-eyes used to passed through his house’s gate every morning. How he always, greet him ‘Good morning!’ and smiles through his eyes. Jongin always loves how Kyungsoo big eyes are able to communicate better then his full-plump lips.

For Jongin, Kyungsoo is the only friend that stays, even in his worst condition. Kyungsoo always there when he broke up, when he was weary, and when dancing has become too much for him.

Dance is not always a good thing for Jongin despite his passion towards it. The fact that he sometimes find it hard to master some moves is frustrating, and that’s when he hates dancing the most. No, even a genius dancer—people said—like him have some problems with moves. And yes, Kyungsoo has always been there cheering him up when he’s down. Listening to him, when his girlfriend won’t. Crying for him, when he himself is too dry to cry. And, ......wait, wait, wait. Is he always been this important? Jongin tilted his head.

“Sir, we have arrived at your destination.” suddenly the driver called on him.

Right, he’s here. He sighed.

He pays the driver, got off the taxi and then trot his way into the building half-heartedly.

The building itself is pretty nice. A grand luxury 8-story building, set in the center of Seoul business district. On the top-left corner of it, there is a huge iron letters spelled “SM Entertainment” patched onto the glass surface of the building.

To the receptionist Jongin heading, and ask her to meet his guarantor, named Lee Soo Man. At first, Jongin didn’t really understand why the receptionist look at him with a weird expression. But, as he’s standing in front of Lee Soo Man’s room’s door, he understands.

The door has “Lee Soo Man – Owner” letters engraved on to the golden plat. The receptionist might guessed who Jongin is to be able to meet this very top person, personally.

Then, Jongin knocked twice, and took a very deep breath, trying to be cool about this.

“Come in!” called the voice from inside the room. So he came in, as polite as he could, and bowed his head to greet the man.

“Hello, Mister Lee. I’m Kim Jongin. I’m sorry I just have the chance to greet you after you’ve become my guarantor for three years. I’m here to talk about further plan in our agreement.” He said in a really polite manner, but deep down he sighed. Tired of formality.

“Welcome, Jongin-ah. I’m glad you’re finally be able to step foots on this building. Once again, welcome to SM. I assumed you still remembered our contract traits, yes?” said the man who’s very much older than Jongin.

“Of course, Mr Lee.” Said Jongin. How could I forget?

“Good then, good,” he nodded in satisfied. “Why don’t you sit...” hands pointed on a chair in front of him, “...so we could have a long talk?”

So sits Jongin do.

“Well, well, Jongin-ah. I believe your skill is better now, than three years ago. So I’ve appointed you, to direct your own idol group consists of five person, including yourself. I’ve already choose the other boys besides you, so you could skipped that detail and don’t worry, you will be pleased with my selection. Also, you and your men, will be trained specially for your debut in a year. The training time could be less, could be more. It’s all depend on you and your men. Any question so far?”

Jongin blinked his eyes at the elder’s sudden question. He’s too shocked to comprehend the information he just received, leave alone react. So instead of waiting, Lee Soo Man continue his explanation.

“I don’t know if you’re following the news on Seoul’s entertainment industry or not. But right now, I’m a bit cornered by one entertainment company that has always been my biggest competitor so far. WaiJi Entertainment. A lot of it’s artist has gotten more awards than it should be. That’s why, I’ve been preparing many young idols to withstand WaiJi’s idols on Seoul’s music and entertainment stage. One of it, is your group. Any question, again?” Lee Soo Man asked Jongin again.

 “Yes I have, Mr. Lee. According to your explanation I will be debuted after one year—could be less could be more—of preparation. But, if I’m about to debut one year later, would it be to your disadvantages since the contract binded you with me will only last two years? What if I left you after one year debuted and promoting? Also, will I only do some training and preparation for my debut in that one year of preparation? Will I do nothing besides that?”  when Jongin finally able to open his mouth, he didn’t stop his train of thought flying towards the elder. And the elder smiles at him calmly.

“So eager, eh, young man?” he said and smirked. “I will answer your question one by one. First, no, it won’t be to my disadvantages because when you’re debuting, you will have to signed different contract with the one we signed three years ago. Five years is the minimum working duty for an idol’s first contract. So also answering the second question, no, you wouldn’t leave because the new contract would added me another four years to bind you after the old contract dies.”

After making sure Jongin gets his intention, the elder man continues, “Third question, yes, you will do some training and preparation, but no, you won’t do just that. You will start your solo career as a pure-dancer. I even got you schedules already. There is some from dancing event,  or any other event where dance is involved, and the rest is like being the back dancer of the senior idols. It’s all necessary for your preparation too, afterall.” said the elder, satisfied with his own explanation.

Jongin is there, but his logic is going somewhere. Need a few minutes for him to fully understand what this is means for him. And after he came to realization, he tried his best to hold the urge to scream. So this is what many of his friends have tried to tell him years before. About how SM bind people with contracts, another contracts, and another one again. He looked at Mister Lee carefully and just giving the elder a small nod.

They talked for a little bit after that, and then Jongin excuse himself from the room. Mister Lee asked him to take a look around on each floor. He said, his assistant will Jongin. Jongin just have to fetch him on his room. After meeting with the assistant and greet him politely, the assistant gives him a small tour, which he didn’t actually listen. His mind is full for others including his future career in this company, but he made sure to give the assistant proper reaction, trying his best not being rude to the poor guy.

As they tour around the second floor, which Jongin—if he’s not mistaken—hear it to be a floor consists of singing classes and recording studios, he suddenly bumped into someone and the poor guy dropped -first to the floor.

“Aaaww, it hurts man! Watch your step, big guy!!” the man Jongin bumped into rubbed his nose and his because both got hit pretty bad. Nose were kissing Jongin’s solid chest, and asses on to company’s solid floor. Poor guy, Jongin thinks.

“I’m really sorry,” he extend his head to reached the floored guy. “Can you stand? Seriously, I’m really sorry.”

After the guy perfectly stands up, Jongin makes sure he’s okay, and sees that the smaller guy actually pretty cute. He’s cuteness is pretty much of Jongin’s taste. If only he was born as a girl, he thought while offering his hand to introduce himself until the guy reached for it.

“I’m Kim Jongin. I’m gonna work here really soon, so I really hope you won’t stay mad if we ever meet after this. I don’t really want to make an enemy just on my first day here.” He said with his usual shy but playful smile.

“I’m Baekhyun. Nah, don’t worry. That’s just small things. I forget about it already.” The guy who claimed as Baekhyun give him wide rectangular shape of smile. “I hope you will have a good time here in SM. Till we meet again, Jongin.” Said Baekhyun before he walk and disappear into one of the classroom.

Is all of SM idols that cute, or it’s just him? Jongin thinks and giggled before he finally catch up with Lee Soo Man’s assistant to continue their small tour again.